Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Colonel Whitey posted:

Do you write for CBS

I think they're more making a joke about how internet stuff/streaming entertainment has kind of been slowly choking TV to death and Griffin works at one of those Internet Based Entertainment Holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think they're more making a joke about how internet stuff/streaming entertainment has kind of been slowly choking TV to death and Griffin works at one of those Internet Based Entertainment Holes.

Not much of a joke tbh

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Seems more likely that they don't think those are "real jobs" and therefore deserve scorn

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*rappels in through a skylight* DID SOMEONE IMPUGN THE HONOR OF GRIFFIN MACELROY

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alaois posted:

*rappels in through a skylight* DID SOMEONE IMPUGN THE HONOR OF GRIFFIN MACELROY

I know your thread gimmick is hating on the mcelroys but this might be laying it on a little thick

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alaois posted:

this but unironically

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The CBS stuff kind of makes sense, since it's really only olds that still watch network TV, but most of the people taking kids to Car movies are first wave millenials.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I hope Griffin never stops being mad about millenial hate. Mad Griffin best Griffin. His twitter rant and his CBS rant are two of the best parts of CGI.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
I was cool with Griffin until he poo poo talked my favorite anime on twitter. Now I'm really cool with Griffin

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I have harboured a deep paggro grudge against all of the McElboys ever since they falsely claimed that the island from Lost turned out to be purgatory, which is a popular but canonically incorrect interpretation of that show's finale.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah instead it just turned out to be a turd

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How do we get the Golden Globes to add an internet category? I was watching it last night and I could only think about what it would be like if Griffin won and then put his award in his mouth for Amiibo Corner.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Snooze Cruise posted:

How do we get the Golden Globes to add an internet category?

YouTube series are part of the Emmy Awards, as "Short Form Variety Series" or "Short Form Comedy or Drama Series"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Scudworth posted:

YouTube series are part of the Emmy Awards, as "Short Form Variety Series" or "Short Form Comedy or Drama Series"

Brb, putting together For Your Considerations for Monster Factory, Amiibo Corner, and Car Boys.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Snooze Cruise posted:

How do we get the Golden Globes to add an internet category? I was watching it last night and I could only think about what it would be like if Griffin won and then put his award in his mouth for Amiibo Corner.

I imagine step one in getting the Hollywood foreign press to care about internet content is to stop region locking it to the point where nobody in a foreign country can watch it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/818589759320637440

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
"You guys want an Altaba?" sounds like poo poo honestly

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Poopy Palpy posted:

I imagine step one in getting the Hollywood foreign press to care about internet content is to stop region locking it to the point where nobody in a foreign country can watch it.

The "Hollywood foreign press" that determine the Golden Globes are a group of only 100 people who must live in SoCal and pay dues to vote in an awards ceremony that only benefits them. It's shadowy garbage farce with nothing to do with the actual foreign market or the foreign press.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2010/01/16/howell_the_powerful_nobodies_behind_the_golden_globes.html

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Colonel Whitey posted:

"You guys want an Altaba?" sounds like poo poo honestly

The Final Altaba

I'm sad this news came out presumably after today's MBMBAM got recorded

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

wow, some people are REALLY into Riven

http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/index.php?/topic/40042-more-framing-of-myst-and-riven-discs/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

It's a really cool series that really hasn't had anything like it released until very recently, I'm not surprised

(Seriously, between the original games coming out and Obduction/The Witness/Talos Principle in the last year or two there's basically nothing like the Myst series out there which is just bizarre given how groundbreaking and popular Myst was)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

flatluigi posted:

(Seriously, between the original games coming out and Obduction/The Witness/Talos Principle in the last year or two there's basically nothing like the Myst series out there which is just bizarre given how groundbreaking and popular Myst was)

I like how Myst has become this landmark classic when at the time it was the original "casuals are killing my video games!" because normal people played it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

flatluigi posted:

The Final Altaba

I'm sad this news came out presumably after today's MBMBAM got recorded

"This one's sent in by Fortune 9000 Altabrew Drew Druid Altabaport, it's by altabrew username something has gone wrong, verizon, uhhh"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/09/yahoo-altaba-no-name-change-marissa-mayer

Altaba is only going to be the parts of Yahoo not being sold to Verizon. The sites we know and love are going to stay Yahoos.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just started watching Car Boys and it is terrific. For some reason I thought it was something else but it isn't and it is terrific. I do need to be spoiled on this immediately though, they do eventually fire a cannon out of a cannon right? And hopefully a cannonball out of the cannoned cannon?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

kater posted:

I just started watching Car Boys and it is terrific. For some reason I thought it was something else but it isn't and it is terrific. I do need to be spoiled on this immediately though, they do eventually fire a cannon out of a cannon right? And hopefully a cannonball out of the cannoned cannon?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I finally caught up with Adventure Zone and now I don't even know what to do with my life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kater posted:

I think you need to email Nick Robinson, stat.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Asiina posted:

I finally caught up with Adventure Zone and now I don't even know what to do with my life.

The answer is to start relistening to The Adventure Zone

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I think cannons are immovable- i.e. not soft-body physics objects. I'm not sure, I don't actually have BeamNG.drive, but that was my impression.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

The answer is to start relistening to The Adventure Zone

I think once they finish the whole story and move on to whatever new characters they make I'll listen to the entire thing again.

I wish Justin would give more thought to DMing, I think he'd be really good at it. I don't think Clint would be able to keep all the logistics necessary to DM straight and Travis would be okay but I think Justin would really excel and it'd be nice to see Griffin play a character. I didn't start listening to the boys until after the last maxfun drive so I'm waiting on the next one to start donating, so I didn't get to hear Travis' TAZ: Nights episode, was it any good?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Asiina posted:

I think once they finish the whole story and move on to whatever new characters they make I'll listen to the entire thing again.

I wish Justin would give more thought to DMing, I think he'd be really good at it. I don't think Clint would be able to keep all the logistics necessary to DM straight and Travis would be okay but I think Justin would really excel and it'd be nice to see Griffin play a character. I didn't start listening to the boys until after the last maxfun drive so I'm waiting on the next one to start donating, so I didn't get to hear Travis' TAZ: Nights episode, was it any good?

It was fun, but it was basically a dungeon crawl with very little NPC interaction.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I would agree that if the next story means changing DMs, I'd be most interested to see what Justin does. TAZ is about striking the right balance between silly/genuine, and considering the fun bits he comes up with within Griff's setting, I'd trust Justin with that. But if he's not motivated or interested, that's no good, so....

I haven't heard TAZ: Nights, but my worry is that Travis as DM would tip the scales too far towards the earnest, and his scenarios wouldn't be as oddball (I'm thinking very pointedly of Magnus' completely straight-laced backstory). I think Travis works really well as the straight-man player who responds more seriously to the story than anyone else, whereas I'm not sure having him as straight-man DM vs three goofballs would be as much fun.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

I would agree that if the next story means changing DMs, I'd be most interested to see what Justin does. TAZ is about striking the right balance between silly/genuine, and considering the fun bits he comes up with within Griff's setting, I'd trust Justin with that. But if he's not motivated or interested, that's no good, so....

I haven't heard TAZ: Nights, but my worry is that Travis as DM would tip the scales too far towards the earnest, and his scenarios wouldn't be as oddball (I'm thinking very pointedly of Magnus' completely straight-laced backstory). I think Travis works really well as the straight-man player who responds more seriously to the story than anyone else, whereas I'm not sure having him as straight-man DM vs three goofballs would be as much fun.

Exactly. Griffin and Justin are very similar in their goof:seriousness ratios, and also I think Justin would make sure the NPCs are fully fleshed out with good voices, which is important too. There are times where I'm listening and getting really into it and then realize it's just Griffin talking to himself (e.g. the end of Petals to the Medal). Travis and Clint barely do voices for their own characters and those voices are very similar to their own as it is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Luneshot posted:

I think cannons are immovable- i.e. not soft-body physics objects. I'm not sure, I don't actually have BeamNG.drive, but that was my impression.

You can actually drive the cannon around. I think the problem would be getting the cannon up the little ramp into the large cannon, as it really doesn't go very fast and gravity is a harsh (realistic) mistress in the world of beaming dotdrive. Obviously you can just drive a car into the cannon and transmogrify it into a cannon.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

purple death ray posted:

You can actually drive the cannon around. I think the problem would be getting the cannon up the little ramp into the large cannon, as it really doesn't go very fast and gravity is a harsh (realistic) mistress in the world of beaming dotdrive. Obviously you can just drive a car into the cannon and transmogrify it into a cannon.

Set gravity to zero, then, problem solved. :getin:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

I think Justin has the best sense of when to move the story along, you can hear that a lot in the podcast too.

Travis would probably be fine. He puts so much thought into everything he does, I think you'd get a lot more emotional and nuanced TAZ. Adventure Zone: Soft Boys, even.

If Clint could master a system, man. He really does have the best toolset to DM, and I would love to see a Mutant City Blues game run by him.

and yeah i've listened to the whole thing twice now and gently caress i need that suffering game. There better not be any more combat encounters this episode or so help me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Travis' TAZ campaign would be a biweekly cry podcast where we all tune in to have a genuine emotional journey.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

and yeah i've listened to the whole thing twice now and gently caress i need that suffering game. There better not be any more combat encounters this episode or so help me.

I think due to circumstances giving us three episodes of the arc in as many months, I think Griffin might be willing to keep things moving quicker to make up for it. I hope he doesn't rush it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I think this depends on whether Griffin actually wants to get one of the boys killed as part of the plot. If one of them dies, they'll learn whatever information is being blocked by the other void fish, so maybe Griffin will pile on more fights to make that larger story moment happen. Or, maybe the monster factory fight and the washing machine were just meant to establish a sense of danger, and the rest of the arc will involve games of non-fatal attrition.