Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If Tim Beck is the second coming of Greg Davis, then I kinda wonder what Shawn Watson was for y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Looks like Pep Hamilton may be coming to Michigan to replace Jedd Fisch.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Real Name Grover posted:

If Tim Beck is the second coming of Greg Davis, then I kinda wonder what Shawn Watson was for y'all

Greg Davis presided over offenses that won conference titles, and a national championship season when we averaged over 50 points per game. Tim Beck has also been highly successful by a lot of metrics. But they still manage to be infuriating. Shawn Watson just loving sucked.

I'm still trying to grasp how, after Watson's offense set the record for least total offense by a P5 team in a bowl game (59 yards!), Strong apparently told him to install an uptempo spread offense and then somehow never followed up on that. After the season-opening debacle at Notre Dame, Strong acted like it had come as a total surprise to him that we were just running the exact same offense out of the shotgun and not huddling. Just endless dropback passes and slow-developing plays collapsing behind a Swiss-cheese OL. Traumatic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Greg Davis is their Ken O'Keefe and Shawn Watson is their Greg Davis

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mike London, of UVA fame, is now Head Coach at Howard

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Coaching KIlla Cam's younger brother.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

On the topic of Howard, I was thinking to myself that Maryland got away with playing an FCS team (Howard) this year even though the Big Ten barred FCS matchups beginning in 2015. I looked up Maryland and Rutgers schedules for next year, and both are still playing FCS teams. I get that schedules are made in advance, but 3 years should be long enough to find another opponent?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Teams can play the FCS teams they had already scheduled before the rule was made, they just can't schedule any new games against FCS teams. I think Iowa still has one more game against UNI left.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
MSU opened with Furman

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Who schedules an FCS team 3+ years out? Penn State schedules the big OOC games many years in advance, but the other generic MAC games are scheduled at most 2 years out, and sometimes 1. Excuse me, I just think it's lame to have not dropped these teams 2 years ago.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Same but not cutting ties with a child rapist.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JesustheDarkLord posted:

:drat:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I say let Rutgers keep scheduling FCS teams to give them a guaranteed possible win every year.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

JesustheDarkLord posted:

:lol:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Teams can play the FCS teams they had already scheduled before the rule was made, they just can't schedule any new games against FCS teams. I think Iowa still has one more game against UNI left.

The rule should have an exception for rivalry games.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

General Dog posted:

The rule should have an exception for rivalry games.

How can a p5 team be rivals with a fcs team? That's like saying I have a real rivalry with the middle schoolers I play pickup with but I sure dunk on them a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa/UNI isnt really a rivalry in football. They've never beaten us, although it's been really close a few times recently. I wouldn't mind continuing to play them though. They're probably more of a test than most of the MAC and CUSA body bag games we're going to schedule instead once you factor in motivation.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Well, UVA is much more competitive with FCS teams than Virginia Tech, so maybe Richmond or William & Mary are their actual rivals.

UVA plays one FCS team from Virginia every year. It is often a close game.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
JMU and Richmond are both good FCS programs, but yes UVA is still a mess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Brian Ferentz is now officially the OC. Hiring someone named Ferentz obviously looks really boring and uninspired, and it is to some extent, but I also think he's a good coach. He has a really good resume for someone who is only like 33. The run game at Iowa took a huge step forward once he was named run game coordiantor and definitely was not the issue with the offense this season. I also like that he had the time with the Pats working with Bill O'Brien given what O'Brien's Penn State offenses were like. I get why people would make fun of it but I'm cautiously optimistic.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

everytime i see tim beck, i just think at somepoint beckman's going to try to impersonate him

hello, i am tim beck...MAN GODDAMMIT YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO SAY THAT PART, TIM

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Hiring your son as OC is a pretty good harbinger of bad things to come (Bowden, Groh, Beamer come to mind immediately). Maybe not in the first couple years, but it's a good retrospective landmark when saying "this was the beginning of The End"

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
More reports about Pep Hamilton to Michigan to be QB Coach and Passing-Game Coordinator.

I like the hire.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

That leaves an opening for a QB coach. The name most people have mentioned is David Raih, a former backup QB and grad assistant who works for the Packers as an assistant o line coach. There's also some talk here and there about brining former OC/QB coach Ken O'Keefe back, which would make sense but feels like a long shot. I assume Brian will continue as OL coach (that's one area where they can definitely afford someone splitting duties since Kirk is so involved anyway), but if they do want to hire someone else for that, bringing AJ Blazek back from Rutgers would make sense.

I won't miss him. He inherited a lot of talent and the OL was awful at pass blocking last year. He had two four star seniors who were good juniors and played like garbage.

Fleck hired the Arkansas DC Robb Smith. There's also a rumor he's looking at Ed Warriner, who would be an upgrade on Kirk "worst OC in FBS history" Ciarrocca, so perhaps he won't be as terrible as I thought.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 10, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MourningView posted:

Brian Ferentz is now officially the OC. Hiring someone named Ferentz obviously looks really boring and uninspired, and it is to some extent, but I also think he's a good coach. He has a really good resume for someone who is only like 33. The run game at Iowa took a huge step forward once he was named run game coordiantor and definitely was not the issue with the offense this season. I also like that he had the time with the Pats working with Bill O'Brien given what O'Brien's Penn State offenses were like. I get why people would make fun of it but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hey man, no need to to defend the pick. In Trumplandia nepotism is how all business is run. Congrats on being at the forefront of the movement with our glorious new leader.

(What is it with great coaches trying to push their sons into coaching? Shanahan, Schottenheimer, Ferentz, Bowden, Buddy Ryan, etc...?)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

(What is it with great coaches trying to push their sons into coaching? Shanahan, Schottenheimer, Ferentz, Bowden, Buddy Ryan, etc...?)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I would do it if I were a highly successful coach. Giving your kid a huge break would one of the best perks of the job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hey man, no need to to defend the pick. In Trumplandia nepotism is how all business is run. Congrats on being at the forefront of the movement with our glorious new leader.

I don't think he really pushed him, other than helping him get a crappy scouting gig with Belichick after he got hurt and washed out as a player. From there Brian has genuinely done a really good job. He turned his gift admin job into a legit coaching role with the Pats and impressed everyone there. He was in the running to take over for O'Brien as OC before McDaniels went back and O'Brien tried like hell to get him as oline coach with the Texans. Everyone around the Pats was talking about him as a future head coach within like a year. And at Iowa he completely turned around the running game and got a ton out of a banged up offensive line starting multiple walk ons. He's been the best coach on staff outside of Phil Parker.

Lots of coaches were the sons of coaches at some level, just assuming he's bad because Jeff Bowden sucked seems pretty lazy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

For a nominal meritocracy sports loves nepotism on basically every level (players, coaches, announcers).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
For players at least it halfway makes sense cause genetics, but still.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pakled posted:

For players at least it halfway makes sense cause genetics, but still.

if you still subscribe to Lamarckian inheritance, maybe

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MV, how do you feel about Brian as HC? This seems inevitable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Depends on how he does as OC

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee named their new S&C Coach today - Rock Gullickson - I don't know much about the guy other than he was most recently with the Rams for a bunch of years but that's exactly what a S&C coach should be named so A+ hire

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jay Paterno won't shut up and he doesn't even have a job. Coach Sons are like a higher evolution of car dealer sons.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee named their new S&C Coach today - Rock Gullickson - I don't know much about the guy other than he was most recently with the Rams for a bunch of years but that's exactly what a S&C coach should be named so A+ hire

Wasn't he one of the psychopaths on the Rams staff on this years Hard Knocks?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
If I wanted to know how not to manage a crisis, I would go see Jay Paterno.

Edit: actually, I would go see him if I wanted to know how not to do almost anything.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Peace out

https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel/status/818923168551305217

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

Wasn't he one of the psychopaths on the Rams staff on this years Hard Knocks?

I regrettably haven't seen that season but he's been there for like 8-9 years so probably? What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

If I wanted to know how not to manage a crisis, I would go see Jay Paterno.

Edit: actually, I would go see him if I wanted to know how not to do almost anything.

I mean technically his father managed a crisis for decades before anyone did anything about it so he might know a thing or two.

• Locked thread