Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Len posted:

Then you have bad taste :colbert:

Hey now, the Templars are awesome. For those who prefer their black humour with a dose of ironic British pluck ("smashing good job on that mission...it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things and there's far worse threats that we must attend to now, but well done!").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ossipago posted:

Hey now, the Templars are awesome. For those who prefer their black humour with a dose of ironic British pluck ("smashing good job on that mission...it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things and there's far worse threats that we must attend to now, but well done!").

Counterpoint: KG calls the golden golem Blingzilla.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

KG joined the Illuminati because around the time she was graduating from college with a HR degree two other students tried to abduct her for some kind of necromancy ritual but she maced them, abducted them instead so she could torture them to death and they gave up that they were part of the Illuminati under torture as a way to threaten her. She disposed of their bodies and applied to the Illuminati to revamp their hiring process because their agents shouldn't be blurting poo poo out like that and got the job.

I love reading the lore and talking to the NPCs.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Len posted:

Hammer doesn't have an AOE hate builder but it does have stones throw with is a ranged attack that stacks debilitate.

Grand Slam has a thing that builds AOE hate. It's finicky to use though cause it requires the target hit by the primary single target portion of the ability to be weakened, and if it is then it spawns a secondary AOE that builds hate. And also to hit them with the power in the first place you have to be facing them which is annoying on movement heavy fights. I don't know how well the bonus hate on it compares to Blade Torrent or Escalation either, especially when Escalation has the passive that gives it even more hate. Really, you're better off with something else but if you REALLY want to use hammers exclusively for some reason, there's your tank builder.

Annoyingly, at one point Grand Slam was also the best damaging builder for Hammer as well so you'd occasionally see damage players using it in dungeons then wondering why they pulled aggro. I dunno if that's still a thing or not.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

KG being awesome is what Lumies tell each other to feel better about being treated like poo poo by their overlords :smuggo: And Stockholm syndrome.
Dragon#1

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Re: Aux weapons, chainsaw is fine and all but to me mobility is king so I almost always use the Rocket Launcher for Death From Above.

People seem like they want a little direction, so here are some sample builds. I logged into my account and got these directly from my saved loadouts. At one point these were considered pretty much optimal but I have no idea what's changed since then. Getting all these abilities will take a lot of effort, but if you don't know what abilities to buy they're good things to work toward. When you're doing dungeons while leveling it's fine not to have all these. In fact, when you're doing dungeons while leveling you can do pretty much whatever you want, no one is going to complain that you're using some kind of weird Chaos/AR build DPS. But if you're like me and want to be putting out the best results you can be while leveling, these can be helpful to you.

AR/Shotgun DPS dungeon build - Yes, this has two Shotgun consumers, it's because of Lock, Stock & Barrel. Build to 5 resources, use Three Round Burst, then Lock Stock, Out For A Kill, Sure Shot. Repeat, if Lock Stock isn't up just do TRB and OFAK. Yes, Fluid Defence is/was considered an optimal DPS ability because of the Penetration proc. Yes, that's weird. In certain Nightmare dungeons you may need to replace something with Sleight of Hand. To adapt for questing, I replace Do or Die with Slow the Advance, Lock Stock with Lock and Load, and Sure Shot with Suppressing Fire so I can easily kill crowds of small weak things.

Active
1. Safety Off
2. Three Round Burst
3. Out For A Kill
4. Sure Shot
5. Lock, Stock & Barrel
6. Breaching Shot
7. Do Or Die

Passive
1. Accuracy
2. Lethality
3. Ferocity
4. Eagle Eye
5. Twist the Knife
6. Iron Maiden
7. Fluid Defence

AR/Elemental Dungeon DPS build - I have a couple of these saved, hopefully this is the good one

Active
1. Safety Off
2. Three Round Burst
3. Blaze
4. Fire Manifestation
5. Anima Charge
6. Short Fuse
7. Do or Die

Passive
1. Closer
2. Iron Maiden
3. Twist the Knife
4. Lethality
5. Elemental Force
6. Ferocity
7. Fluid Defence

Blade/Chaos Baby's First Tanking Build - easier to play than Blade/Hammer, a good way to learn to tank, not as effective at endgame. Emphasis on survivability, not threat, still perfectly fine til Nightmares. This build has a lot of Impairs. There are better Blade/Chaos builds but CT/RF make tanking as a newbie very easy.

Active
1. Escalation
2. Provoke
3. Crimson Theatre
4. Reality Fracture
5. Art of War (Elite)
6. Chaotic Pull
7. Trial By Swords

Passive
1. Agitator
2. Fuel to the Fire
3. 12 Gouge
4. Intensity
5. Shoot 'Em Up
6. Hardcase
7. Sixth Sense - that's what in my saved Blade/Chaos build but I bet several alternatives would be better, I haven't updated this build in a long time because Blade/Hammer is better at endgame.

Blade/Hammer Advanced Tanking Build - I have a few of these saved, hopefully this is the good one. Special builds for special circumstances, my build for tanking the NYC raid is a bit different

Active
1. Blade Torrent
2. Clearing the Path
3. Razor Shards
4. Stone's Throw
5. Stunning Swirl
6. Trial By Swords
7. Beatdown

Passive
1. Agitator
2. Iron Maiden
3. Breakdown
4. Hardcase
5. Shoot 'Em Up
6. 12 Gouge
7. Flight of Daggers

Blood/Fist Healing Build - A good base for heavy healing output, no damage

Active
1. Exquisite Corpse
2. Cauterize
3. Nurture
4. Surgical Steel
5. Creature Comfort
6. The Scarlet Arts
7. Cold Blooded - this is a hilariously good oh-poo poo button but there are a few dungeon cases where using it will kill you because of the self-damage, in those cases swap for Fired Up

Passive
1. Healing Sparks
2. Nurturing Gift
3. Subtlety - optional, but advisable when running with newbie tanks who won't be good at picking up/holding enemies
4. Hot Iron
5. Making Amends
6. Shadow Medic
7. Empowerment

AR/Fist Healing Build - This is a leech healing build, where you heal mainly by doing damage. It is harder to do than something like Blood/Fist, but it's great to have because things die faster, which means fights are shorter, which means there are fewer chances to gently caress up mechanics. In some cases, if your group's overall damage output is good enough, you can avoid mechanics entirely! Ur-Draug night phase is a great one to never see again. Important note: to leech heal you will want attack rating gear. My endgame gear set for this was apparently all attack rating, but you might want some healing gear at lower levels. There is one Nightmare dungeon where this build is impossible to use because it has a shielding mechanic.

Active
1. Anima Burst
2. Transfuse Anima
3. Lock and Load - this is now a healing cooldown!
4. Energise
5. Reckless
6. Shelter - very optional but nice for healing minor damage to everyone around you
7. Reap and Sew - downright necessary for Nightmare Ankh, but a great emergency healing cooldown in general. Since you'll have a Fist weapon, Fired Up is available -- but because you have attack rating gear on it won't be nearly as effective.

Passive
1. Eagle Eye
2. Twist the Knife
3. Anima Boost
4. Knuckle Down
5. Lethality
6. Closer
7. Experience

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Should I be selling or disassembling my unused loot?

Don't bother disassembling things, making stuff is pointless until very endgame when you'll need to make runes and whatnot.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Both you and Len have done this, so I gotta ask, why three impairs? As I understand it after three uses of an impair ability a boss becomes immune to impairs. Are there many situations where you need to use an impair three times within thirty seconds? Otherwise I get having a backup impair in case the first misses but if both miss you probably don't have time for a third chance.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Most of the tank builds are from before the rounds of ability buffs and cool down reductions.

Edit: I think bosses could resist the impairs from time to time, better to have an extra impair to prevent wipes.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 30, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Honestly ideally you wouldn't need three. But sometimes the bosses poo poo the bed and use abilities faster than intended so you'll want an extra for those oh poo poo moments. But again I haven't changed my tank builds since early-mid 2013 and I stopped playing in 2014 so things may be different now

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reclaimer posted:

Both you and Len have done this, so I gotta ask, why three impairs? As I understand it after three uses of an impair ability a boss becomes immune to impairs. Are there many situations where you need to use an impair three times within thirty seconds? Otherwise I get having a backup impair in case the first misses but if both miss you probably don't have time for a third chance.

There are bosses that do 3 things that need to be interrupted; in Nightmare not interrupting any one of them might wipe your whole group. If the CDs on those abilities have been reduced feel free to adjust as needed. An impair can also be a defensive cooldown in a way, giving your healer a chance to catch up if you're taking a lot of damage or have over-pulled.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

guppy posted:

There are bosses that do 3 things that need to be interrupted; in Nightmare not interrupting any one of them might wipe your whole group. If the CDs on those abilities have been reduced feel free to adjust as needed. An impair can also be a defensive cooldown in a way, giving your healer a chance to catch up if you're taking a lot of damage or have over-pulled.

Stunning Swirl, Shockwave and Eruption are 25s, Art of War is 35s, and Beatdown and Trial by Swords are 45s. I dunno if that's the same as it ever was.

I take the point about fights breaking and the boss accelerating their timetable tho.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like all three factions, they're all p. cool, come at me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Megazver posted:

I like all three factions, they're all p. cool, come at me.

When did they make Dragon interesting?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Since they got a new post-Tokyo leader. :getin:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I'll grant you that if I had to rank them, Dragon is definitely third, but they're still cool.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm all patched up and gonna poke around again. If anyone is up for dungeons get in the discord if not I'm gonna probably roll up a new character and not beeline right for NM stuff this time around.

Edit: Was gonna roll up a lady character but forgot my account unlocked outfits are gender specific. Dougal "Spiderbaybay" McGuire is my new duder though. Time to see how much I remember from everything that isn't Transylvania.

Len fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 31, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I can't remember if I ever joined the discord or not but I'm nearly forty so I'll not be doing anything tomorrow evening if anyone fancies a dungeon or two.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

flatluigi posted:

1. Dragon hadler tells you more than any other factions.
2.They seem to have better understanding of whats really going on.
3. They give you a blowjob?
4. Won at Tokyo.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

flatluigi posted:

Never. They are more or less the original writer's weird and vaguely racist Mary Sue faction that seem to know the real story behind everything.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tallgeese posted:

Never. They are more or less the original writer's weird and vaguely racist Mary Sue faction that seem to know the real story behind everything.

Racist??? Jesus christ how is Dragon racist? Don't you mean sterotypical?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure these are synonyms nowadays :haw:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dragons are racist. :argh:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Someone was talking about this in a slack I'm in and I decided to boot it back up. The only thing I really remember about my character is that I was trying to unlock the Magus deck because that outfit looks really cool. And plus, shotguns/elementalism seems pretty neat. I get the impression (thanks OP) that those decks are garbage, though, so if I'm going to stick with that weapon combo as I go through and level (ideally with running dungeons as I do) I was just wondering if there were any specific/notable skills that might make the experience a little smoother across the board.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The decks weren't necessarily horrible when they were first designed (though they weren't great, either), but changes to abilities have largely destroyed their usefulness.

Elementalism and Shotgun both get Strike-style attacks, so you might look at a deck revolving around those, but also include a Chain or Blast builder for packs of enemies.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Self heal abilities will make your life easier. So lick the wounds, circulation and/ or a healing active ability saves you from having to chug health potions every other fight. Shotgun and Elemental was pretty a decent when I was doing dungeons. There's a lot of AOE, purge and chain abilities that make dealing with adds easier as well as some cleanup that clears CC off the team. However, it won't give you the DPS numbers that people love to check against. (unless something's changed in the last 3 years of course)

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

The much prophesied new computer is finally here. Still has garbage RAM, but it should be able to thrash TSW regardless.

I have been wanting to play again, and I shall! This time I shall be a flighty Dragon. No more memes for me...

...after that.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Amante posted:

The much prophesied new computer is finally here. Still has garbage RAM, but it should be able to thrash TSW regardless.

I have been wanting to play again, and I shall! This time I shall be a flighty Dragon. No more memes for me...

...after that.

Holy poo poo, I haven't played this game for years and I check the thread and come back and see this familiar friendly picture

Also wow, gently caress Gatekeeper

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Amante posted:

...after that.

Kickass lets do Tokyo together

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gatekeeper is a cool idea. Too bad funcompetence ruins everything.

Just do healing or tanking gatekeeper :v:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

orcane posted:

Gatekeeper is a cool idea. Too bad funcompetence ruins everything.

Just do healing or tanking gatekeeper :v:

I beat him my first try today (maybe 12th total) after realizing some of my passives weren't proccing at all.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
OK, so i have a TSW vs Guild Wars 2 battle and I like TSW better. How do I play with other goons?

My account name is Kwosge and my toon name is Computer.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There's not really a consolidated goon presence on TSW, but I think dungeon runs get organized every once in a while.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

There is a TSW goons discord: https://discord.gg/nrCfuHJ

It's a bit quiet lately but it's a good place to look.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Aside from my faction vendor sprint upgrades, what the main pax romana dumps? Clothing & the museum?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Trebuchet King posted:

Aside from my faction vendor sprint upgrades, what the main pax romana dumps? Clothing & the museum?

For gameplay augments from the auction house. For dress up clothing. Buying everything from London back in 2013 cost 20mil I think? It's been so long I forget.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

lol if you don't drop three figures worth of BB on pretty shoes from the Caca vendors.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is there a rule of thumb for figuring out which offensive stats are better for any given weapon pairing?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there a rule of thumb for figuring out which offensive stats are better for any given weapon pairing?

Crit damage is king from what I understand.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Thanks. Blue Mountain kinda sucks and I figure any edge I can get will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You need a solo build that lets you heal yourself.

• Locked thread