Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

1/11

serah's gloves.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

3/11

Hope's BSB
Cid's BSB
Snow's SSB

Well then, I guess I have a mage team.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

ApplesandOranges posted:

U++ is a real slog, though. He's not that hard til he dips below 50% and then the 2k AoE physicals start coming.

Yeah, I had real trouble with that too. I ended up bringing a Lightning overstrike RW and having my Lightning use smite then chained them together at the end and it burst him down really quick.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wow this apoc fight is kinda bullshit. Got him down to 25% health with everyone in top shape, then suddenly he decides to dispel and haste and spam humongous AoE 3 times in a row before anyone can get in action in at all. Literally killed half of the team from full health, not sure what exactly is supposed to be done about that?

you save a wall cast (hopefully someone on your team is smart enough to do the same with a medica... preferably Y'Shtola's or Vanille's BSB) for when he dispels. He's pretty easy if you're prepared for it, quite hard if you're not.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, I pulled on that and got 2 5*s.

Two copies of Cids BSB.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's funny how versatile Garnet's BSB can be. Sure, I'll use it mostly for the lightning/holy damage, but the fact that it has a backup Curaga command really helps in patching characters up when I have to weather a lot of damage. Back-to-back Ultimate Antimatter Bombs? Yeah, I got this.

What should I take along for the U+ CM? Currently my FF13 SBs are Vanille's Miracle Prayer, Lightning's Crushing Blow, Fang's Aerial Loop, and Noel's Deathblow/Meteor Javelin. I tried it briefly with them and Cid Raines (all level 65+) but quickly got my face beat in by physical AoEs, and unfortunately I'm a bit stuck choosing between a hastega or Wall. Should I just fire Noel's BSB for "support" commands and then egg someone to help out manually hasting the party? (Hope is at 55 and Sazh/Serah/Snow are at 31.)

Wow this apoc fight is kinda bullshit. Got him down to 25% health with everyone in top shape, then suddenly he decides to dispel and haste and spam humongous AoE 3 times in a row before anyone can get in action in at all. Literally killed half of the team from full health, not sure what exactly is supposed to be done about that?
Perhaps the timing was off for your group? When he goes under 51% health, or on every 16th turn thereafter, Barthandelus will chain Dispel/Mystic Aura (self-buff)/Ruinga/Destrudo in that order.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
How the gently caress am I supposed to kill this god drat turtle? It just shits out tons of Defense piercing AoE damage that my healer can't keep up with, and it dispels haste and protect too because apparently it wasn't obnoxious enough already.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to kill this god drat turtle? It just shits out tons of Defense piercing AoE damage that my healer can't keep up with, and it dispels haste and protect too because apparently it wasn't obnoxious enough already.

Is this the gil turtle? If it makes you feel better you can totally skip it and still finish the event, the only reward is gil

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

W.T. Fits posted:

Full break, power breakdown, and another -atk debuff (cleansing strike, sea lord broadside, keeper tome command 1, etc).

Also if you have a pblink, use it. Arc's word of kindness is pretty good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is this the gil turtle? If it makes you feel better you can totally skip it and still finish the event, the only reward is gil

I think he's talking XIII ultimate.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

multiplayer Enkidu keeps kicking my rear end. Not sure if I'll be able to beat him tomorrow

CaptainPsyko posted:

Indeed; the other factor that this banner has is, outside of the upcoming summon nightmare, it's basically the last good Mage banner for months with three to four times he likelihood of getting a good offensive Mage item than most subsequent banners.
urgh. I need XIII poo poo, I need mage poo poo, I need XIII mage poo poo or an in-realm boostga since most of my synergy there is crappy mage sticks and generic 20% faithga hats. Shame I don't care about these characters but I'm probably going to end up pulling.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

That huge AoE move is a gravity attack, so if you have any instant KO resist accessories they'll let you dodge it.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Huh, turns out I didn't have Flamberge, I had Blazefire Saber. Smite's not too bad if I decide to use Lightning on something that resists, uh, lightning, but I can't see myself using it over Crushing Blow in most cases.

Tempted to try one more roll for one of the BSBs...

The trick is that you use Smite with things like Full Charge, which makes it much better for single target.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I had to go with an unconventional team make-up of Mog/Yuffie/Auron/Luneth/Eiko for the U++. Just debuff-stacking and physical blinks all over the place. Tried it a couple times with Larsa over Mog but the former just ended up too squishy for my tastes. Ended up with Mog/Yuffie dry on hones, since Luneth was doing the lion's share of the damage. Ah well.

My lack of Lightning-themed SBs is coming back to bite me though. People with a Kain/Ashe BSB shouldn't have much trouble here.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

U-DO Burger posted:

That huge AoE move is a gravity attack, so if you have any instant KO resist accessories they'll let you dodge it.

Well huh, I've done 3 runs so far and apparently literally nobody knows that, never seen anyone dodge it. That will be very helpful, thanks!

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Thanks for the advice/answers earlier in the thread. I'm fairly easily clearing into part 2/elite of the events, and kind of sort of figuring out how the game works. Three questions!

1) For leveling units, is it just waiting for the sunday daily, saving up as many of the eggs as I can, and then dropping them on key characters? My snow for example is lvl 13, and he has some nice gear, but I'm afraid he'd be a liability since the rest of my XIII crew is all in the mid-40 to 50 range.

2) I'm on an Android Pixel, and this game is mad laggy. I changed the force 2d gpu option to on, which has helped, but there is still huge lag at the start of attacks, and sometimes midspell. It really makes keeping up with what's going on hard. Are there any solutions to this? I assume it's because this is actually an html game vs a native app.

3) What battle speed to people play on? I've been doing 5 for things I can auto, and then 2 for battles that require some thinking. Do most of you just have a really good idea of what movesets you are going to need to do and respond, and can play at a decent speed? Or is it usually just slow for everyone? Since a lot of buffs seem to be time based, I was wondering how that interacted with the gameplay speed setting.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Multi-player stories.

Y'shtola turn 1: protectga
Y'shtola turn 2: Aetherial Pulse.

:psyduck:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This Warmech U++ is ridiculously unfair bullshit. Full Break, Power Breakdown, and Arc's physical blink SB apparently isn't enough. :mad:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

This Warmech U++ is ridiculously unfair bullshit. Full Break, Power Breakdown, and Arc's physical blink SB apparently isn't enough. :mad:

Full break and a breakdown aren't usually enough for any U++. Try protectga/shellga/wall?

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Multi-player stories.

Y'shtola turn 1: protectga
Y'shtola turn 2: Aetherial Pulse.

:psyduck:

I was with a Tyro whose OSB landed for a whopping 4000 damage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

acumen posted:

Full break and a breakdown aren't usually enough for any U++. Try protectga/shellga/wall?

He has piercing attacks. I brought wall and protectga anyway but they don't help much.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Antimatter Bomb is Gravity, maybe I just got lucky but that was the attack he kept spamming at low health. :shrug:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
The lag in these MP battles is something else. Got the boss to half health so I queued up SG expecting dispel. Dispel goes off. Then Thanatosian Smile. Then another aoe. Then another. Party wiped without SG ever going off.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Geocities Homepage King posted:

The lag in these MP battles is something else. Got the boss to half health so I queued up SG expecting dispel. Dispel goes off. Then Thanatosian Smile. Then another aoe. Then another. Party wiped without SG ever going off.

I think he just chains those all in a row at instant speed, because that happened to me 3 times in a row and there was zero lag before that. Half the team had actions with a full red bar and none of them got to go off because he decided to dispel and then drop 3 AoE attacks in a row.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Just a reminder to fellow goons, you can generally find/make MP groups with goons over at our discord: https://discord.gg/83h3U6r

(Dr Pepper can you toss that in the OP please :D )

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Had an ungodly time with the Ultimate+ CM mission, so I committed taboo and did a paid 11-pull on Banner 1, hoping beyond hope that I'd pull at least one Burst. And I did - Mistleteinn. Hello, new instant cast medica! I also snagged Serah's Gloves (not great, but it makes her more useable) and Fang's Armguards. So now the only relic my Fang is missing is her old Partisan SB (High Dive). I have her Imperil Wind Burst, her Wind/Fire Atk/Mag Break SSB, and now her EnWind SSB (plus her super-old Blind AoE SB, but that isn't great). She's not leaving my A-Team for a long friggin' time.

Crushed the Ultimate+ Cid Mission, went A-Team and took care of the Ult++, and then managed to tag my Fang/Vanille up with a pair of Alphinauds (Aerial Burst/Deployment Tactics respectively) and a Vaan with his BSB for Apocalypse Barty. Kicked his rear end before my phone could catch up with all the SB spam post-Dispel. Suddenly I dislike XIII a tad less than before.

Elephant Ambush posted:

KataraniSword posted:

Antimatter Bomb is Gravity, maybe I just got lucky but that was the attack he kept spamming at low health. :shrug:

Antimatter Bomb is a gravity attack. Ultimate Antimatter Bomb is a defense-piercing attack. They really should have opted to change the names a little more. The Ultimate version is also a NAT type, so it's going to ignore that physical blink, unfortunately. My recommendation, if you can swing it: use Deployment Tactics for an RW (or bring it yourself if you are able) and potentially bring double healers to keep up with the Critical HP spamming he does. That way, all the damage he spews that doesn't kill your team will rebound straight back into his face.

Lumen
Oct 12, 2009
Belated relic draw post

OSB Banners: Onion Knight BSB, Terra OSB x2, Gabranth SB
FFXIV: Alphinaud BSB, Yshtola BSB :hellyeah:

FFXIII-2: Canopus AMPs (meh)

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

acumen posted:

you save a wall cast (hopefully someone on your team is smart enough to do the same with a medica... preferably Y'Shtola's or Vanille's BSB) for when he dispels. He's pretty easy if you're prepared for it, quite hard if you're not.

I've had good luck with pubbies until now, but nobody's prepared for that dispel so far. I'm taking Celes along because she absorbs pretty much everything for the first third of the fight but nobody seems to take advantage. Thinking of switching out my swiftspell-spamming Onion Knight for something else, I'd take a healing burst if I had one. Maybe Faris + burst + breakdowns for debuffs? My 13 synergy stinks, I have both of Snow's SSBs and that's about it.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

acumen posted:

Same... against Apoc Greg. The Tyro I was with managed to gently caress our run up completely by doing it twice when he could've used SG instead (he had used SG earlier in the fight but he let it wear off later on). We had exactly 4 team members left, including my 2 characters (Luneth with BSB and Vanille with BSB), the dumbass Tyro, and an Alphanerd with BSB. Nobody could taunt the deathclaws, so when SG ran out, my Vanille command 2 healing was not enough to keep up as Greg ended up deathclawing several times in a row. Meanwhile Tyro did his whopping 2 OSB casts for a total of 8k damage and he and alphanerd bit it, leaving just my two characters to finish off the last sliver of Greg's health. Very annoying to have a nearly 30min fight go down the drain for mastery in the last few minutes because of that poo poo. I ended up mastering it later on with another group, though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MikeSevigny posted:

I've had good luck with pubbies until now, but nobody's prepared for that dispel so far. I'm taking Celes along because she absorbs pretty much everything for the first third of the fight but nobody seems to take advantage. Thinking of switching out my swiftspell-spamming Onion Knight for something else, I'd take a healing burst if I had one. Maybe Faris + burst + breakdowns for debuffs? My 13 synergy stinks, I have both of Snow's SSBs and that's about it.

I've noticed there's a lack of people bringing supports/wall (lots of Vanille BSB at least) in this fight so I just went straight up Ramza/Y'Shtola (+shout/wall) on my winning run. Everyone was at full hp going into the dispel and I followed up with a wall asap right after, the other Y'Shtola followed suit with an Asylum after I walled. Even still it went pretty close since our best dps was Lightning OSBing for 30kish. The other Y'Shtola guy had a Paladin Cecil set up with magic lure and that seemed to help a little too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Man, this was so fun. This is the first time I ever had some serious team synergy in a MP fight - we had multiple layers of mitigation - Stoneskin, Aetherial Pulse, and Asylum were the first layer, second layer was Blessing of Light and Phoenix of Tycoon provided TWO last-resort options after getting hit for huge damage, Deployment Tactics bounced back 10-30k damage every turn in phase 2, Agrias was debuffing the poo poo out of Bart, and everyone had a medica or healing BSB.

It got hairy at the end and we switched to pumping out as much DPS as possible, but we made it :getin:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Well huh, I've done 3 runs so far and apparently literally nobody knows that, never seen anyone dodge it. That will be very helpful, thanks!

No one else in my group seemed to know either, since I'm the only one who had characters dodge. Either that or they chose to go for elemental resistance instead, since Bartie spams a lot of it.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you're not going for mastery and don't mind the fight taking quite a while then the only skill you actually need as far as I am aware is Retaliate (or preferably a soul break which grants Retaliate). All of its physical attacks can be dodge countered and I'm fairly certain that all of its magic attacks are based on your current health and cannot kill you on their own. The other four members of your party will still need to fend for themselves, but it seems like a Retaliate character is effectively immortal. Bringing along a RW with Y'shtola's BSB also ended up helping me out a lot in this particular fight.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pulled off the U+ CM! I switched out Fang for Snow who Magic Lured away most of Lightning's dangerous magic stuff in her Ravager form. He still ended up dying I was able to pull off the win thanks to his sacrifice. :911:

Other MVP ended up being Noel. His SSB is so amazingly good. Being able to auto-stun a boss with a billion speed is a godsend and the damage from it was respectable to boot. Plus those two turns of instant Full Charges. You did me a proud my XIII squad.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Seeric posted:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you're not going for mastery and don't mind the fight taking quite a while then the only skill you actually need as far as I am aware is Retaliate (or preferably a soul break which grants Retaliate). All of its physical attacks can be dodge countered and I'm fairly certain that all of its magic attacks are based on your current health and cannot kill you on their own. The other four members of your party will still need to fend for themselves, but it seems like a Retaliate character is effectively immortal. Bringing along a RW with Y'shtola's BSB also ended up helping me out a lot in this particular fight.

This ..can't be true. Those AoE's at the end we're definitely physical. Or am I crazy?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

No one else in my group seemed to know either, since I'm the only one who had characters dodge. Either that or they chose to go for elemental resistance instead, since Bartie spams a lot of it.

I've been pretty lucky at finding groups with Celes in them to suck up those single-target spells, but man the timing for that phase change is rough. If your team isn't coordinated enough to have a Wall and medica cast ready the second he dispels, you are basically dead, because he follows that up with like 7k AoE damage that all goes off before anyone can get a full bar. Definitely giving that a shot to see if I can dodge the worst of it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Seeric posted:

I think you're getting things confused? The U++ fight has a variety of NAT-typed physical attacks, which get around both Retaliate and physical blink. Or is Ultimate Antimatter Bomb PHY-typed after all?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Ultimate, Ultimate+ (with CM!), and Ultimate++ mastered.

Ultimate was a joke, just annoying.

Ultimate+ was absurdly painful to the point where I actually had no real recourse but to pick up Vanille's SB medica from Tyro's Selection (I had done the 11-pull months ago and just hadn't taken the free relic of choice until now). That was enough to basically negate the damage of ONE Crushing Blow.

By the time I finally won (no mastery due to not bringing dismissal), 2/5 party members were dead and another two were close to death, and the only reason I won was because the last fifth of Lightning's HP bar was nuked away by Hope's OSB.

Ultimate++ was a breath of fresh air in comparison. So much easier to keep under control damage wise, and even the HP to 1 attack didn't really scare me because of how fast his barriers got torn apart.

As for the MO battles, I (after much effort) managed to master U+ Barthandelus solo. My winning team there was Alph (BSB)/Papalymo (SSB1+2)/Vaan (BSB)/Tyro (SG + BSB)/Penelo (BSB); Ark Blast was needed just to keep Bart's damage under control in phase 2, and even with it only being U+ and with MB/FB/Ark Blast all applied he was still doing 1.5k+ with Destrudo to the whole party.

Point of advice: His Dispel is not QUITE an Ultimate Dispel; while it removes stat buffs on top of what regular dispel removes, it doesn't get rid of stuff like Burst Mode, and more importantly a Runic effect will protect whoever has it up from the Dispel (i.e. Exdeath won't lose his buffs if the Dispel hits while Grand Cross is up). Still, the second he drops below 50% HP, immediately begin reapplying Sentinel's Grimoire and Hastega.

Apocalypse Barthandelus I just did with a team on the discord and blew it apart with no real incident. Have fun trying that solo if you want, I'm not crazy enough for it.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

This ..can't be true. Those AoE's at the end we're definitely physical. Or am I crazy?

I just double checked the recording I made of my attempt and it looks like I was wrong about Ultimate Antimatter Bomb as it's both physical and unavoidable after all (not entirely sure how I missed that since it's even what ended up killing Ramza near the end). On the plus side, both his standard area attack and the single-target Plasma Beam are definitely possible to counter and it seems like Taunt attracts the Plasma Beam, which can otherwise hurt quite a lot.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

acumen posted:

what the hell :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The problem with Barthandelus is that even if you're completely prepped for him, his speed means that he can just use Dispel > Mystic Aura > Ruinga even as your healer is almost done casting Shellga/SSII.

I've gotten close a few times (got him down to about 20%), and every time it's always the barrage of AoEs right before our healers get up mitigation again that kills us.

• Locked thread