Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jerry Brown for the Grand Moonbeam of California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...

Carter Power will soon go away
I will be Fuhrer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school
Your kids will meditate in school!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We must secure the existence of all Californians and a future for Californian children.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

withak posted:

We must, like, totally secure the existence of all Californians and a future for, like, Californian children dude.

ftfy :ca:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks to you clowns, most of the guns and people who are knowledgeable about them are in other states now, so have fun dying in droves on the Idaho front.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Thanks to you clowns, most of the guns and people who are knowledgeable about them are in other states now, so have fun dying in droves on the Idaho front.

Besides, aren't middle class families fleeing in droves to cheaper states like Texas and Portland? Granted, out population increases from high birth rate and immigration, but the money and jobs are leaving while the "California Dream" crew from either Mexico or other states (I'm gonna be a star!) are moving in. It's a net loss for the economy as a whole. Add in total mismanagement of everything from power to water, and we'd be a banana republic within weeks. We may have a huge economy, but we're not stable, and we're in massive debt and ongoing deficit. This would not bode well for any nascent state. And if you think the new state would just default on the prior obligations, you truly don't know the power of the state's unions. You'd have a "bonus army" of retired firefighters and cops locking out the capital, good luck getting police to attack retired police.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
All hail Eternal Dog Emperor Sutter :ca:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Small arms will be useless once is the Moonbeam orbital weapons platform is online friend.

In all seriousness, of all the reasons CalExit would be a terrible idea, "heh you effete liberals will be no match for TUFF COUNTRY FOLK" isn't really one of them. Guns aren't hard to make, and getting a working knowledge of them sufficient for an average soldier isn't that difficult. There are many things that make CalExit a fantastically bad idea, but the notion that it's somehow beyond the capability of one of the world's largest economies to start manufacturing assault rifles and training people in their use isn't one of them.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Although I don't think that CalExit would be a good idea at all, does anyone think that seriously threatening independence(to the extent of having a referendum on it Scotland style) would get the state some more leverage with the federal government? Maybe stop the Feds from dicking around in attempts to get state level UHC or get popular vote presidential elections or fairer legislative representation?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

themrguy posted:

Although I don't think that CalExit would be a good idea at all, does anyone think that seriously threatening independence(to the extent of having a referendum on it Scotland style) would get the state some more leverage with the federal government?

No.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

hmm.....

checks out.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah the 857 people that live in Idaho will slow down the CA advance for sure.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

Besides, aren't middle class families fleeing in droves to cheaper states like Texas and Portland? Granted, out population increases from high birth rate and immigration, but the money and jobs are leaving while the "California Dream" crew from either Mexico or other states (I'm gonna be a star!) are moving in.

None of this is true, FYI. These are conservative talking points.

I'll leave the CalExit stuff alone.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

Uhhhh have you ever been to any town in the Sierra foothills?! There are crazy militia groups everywhere, although most of them assuredly voted for Trump.

The federal government will rue the day it crossed El Dorado county! :freep:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kaincypher posted:

Besides, aren't middle class families fleeing in droves to cheaper states like Texas and Portland? Granted, out population increases from high birth rate and immigration, but the money and jobs are leaving while the "California Dream" crew from either Mexico or other states (I'm gonna be a star!) are moving in. It's a net loss for the economy as a whole. Add in total mismanagement of everything from power to water, and we'd be a banana republic within weeks. We may have a huge economy, but we're not stable, and we're in massive debt and ongoing deficit. This would not bode well for any nascent state. And if you think the new state would just default on the prior obligations, you truly don't know the power of the state's unions. You'd have a "bonus army" of retired firefighters and cops locking out the capital, good luck getting police to attack retired police.

lol no, California's economy is stronger and getting stronger at a greater rate than loving Texas' min wage job explosion.

Anyway, stop talking about retarded poo poo like CalExit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

e:

:vince:

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 9, 2017

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Are there good links/studies that elaborate on the state's current economic situation?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2016/dec/19/jerry-brown/are-jobs-california-growing-hell-lot-faster-texas/

Their verdict is that Brown's claim is "mostly true." This is just an article, though, not a "study" but it contains some of the most relevant facts like economic growth, job growth and joblessness rate, and some economic forecasting.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It's always fun seeing non Californians secretly hope for the demise of California due their own lovely local situation. Honestly it feels like more and more people are moving to this state despite mayonnaise taco Republicans babbling about it dying out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, California is far from perfect, but to the extent it's an experiment in liberalism, conservatives want to see it fail.

Which is also why conservatives hate Europe.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

AngryBooch posted:

lol no, California's economy is stronger and getting stronger at a greater rate than loving Texas' min wage job explosion.

Anyway, stop talking about retarded poo poo like CalExit.

It's actually gonna melt down any day now and has already started to do so.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Yep... Annnnny day now! On the bright side, if CA ever did melt down maybe red states would stop asking for free handouts from it so much.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There are 6-8x as many gun owners in California as the entire population of the state of Idaho, for context.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
We've got a shitton of veterans because of all the military bases in this state, too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

There are 6-8x as many gun owners in California as the entire population of the state of Idaho, for context.

We shouldn't be trolling from the same direction. I feel our energy is best when you are Hillboting and I'm not. Like, you can go all moderate now, that's cool, but now that your old gimmick is over you should figure out a new one.

I've been working on mine it's . . . not pretty so it's being re-reviewed by the commiteee.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In the extremely unlikely event Calexit happens, it won't be a force of arms thing.

It'll be a combination of Trumpian "Murica, love 'er or leave 'er" tea partiers and movement conservatives letting the possibility of perpetual federal majorities override their better judgement.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

We shouldn't be trolling from the same direction. I feel our energy is best when you are Hillboting and I'm not. Like, you can go all moderate now, that's cool, but now that your old gimmick is over you should figure out a new one.

I've been working on mine it's . . . not pretty so it's being re-reviewed by the commiteee.

Oh don't worry, you can keep your People'a Republic of Walnut Creek gig, I'm just waltzing through with my usual Campbell's noodles level of salty fishmech and tobleronetrianglar soup I've been serving recently.

Two broken clocks passing in the rye and all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh don't worry, you can keep your People'a Republic of Walnut Creek gig, I'm just waltzing through with my usual Campbell's noodles level of salty fishmech and tobleronetrianglar soup I've been serving recently.

Two broken clocks passing in the rye and all.

LOL.

Like I'd get caught dead in Walnut Creek.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Orinda is the far more revolutionary location.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, I think it would be too far to say that we like each other Trab, but given the recent election and all I'm willing to forgive you for your zeal. It's hard to believe in something and have it be a giant turdburger. I know. So, like, how would you define your revolutionary consciousness? In Das Trumpen Reich I think it behooves us to start to get along.

To get the ball rolling I'll ask: "Favorite politician of the 20th Century". I want to emphasize this is a "fun" question so if you give your first response and then want to go "Actually, wait, no, it's THIS GUY!" that's OK. The purpose is to keep the ball rolling. There are no wrong answers and non-Trabs can respond as well.

I'm excited to see where this goes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

California is terrible! Don't come here! *winks at comrades* Yes, we have discussed it at length and agreed that we all hate it!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The taxes are so high, and the mandatory toiling in the PC mines is just heartbreaking.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

So, I think it would be too far to say that we like each other Trab, but given the recent election and all I'm willing to forgive you for your zeal. It's hard to believe in something and have it be a giant turdburger. I know. So, like, how would you define your revolutionary consciousness? In Das Trumpen Reich I think it behooves us to start to get along.

To get the ball rolling I'll ask: "Favorite politician of the 20th Century". I want to emphasize this is a "fun" question so if you give your first response and then want to go "Actually, wait, no, it's THIS GUY!" that's OK. The purpose is to keep the ball rolling. There are no wrong answers and non-Trabs can respond as well.

I'm excited to see where this goes.

I have a soft spot for LBJ because he almost personifies the successes and failures of post-war liberalism. Someone who went from teaching in a one room schoolhouse to becoming one of the most powerful majority leaders in American history. Then a rather humiliating round as VP before being thrust into presidency. Listening to the tapes you can tell he clearly cared but was still felled by the utter pointlessness of Vietnam. His flaws and advantages are so intertwined and fundamentally tied to the nature of the ideological conflict we're still implicated by today.

But that's not very California. Emp. Norton is a monarchist copout. Edmond P. or Mulholland are tempting for their own reasons. But Cesar Chavez or Dolores Huerta probably takes my vote for favorite "politician" in California politics. Chavez and Huerta did so much for not just the people and the movement but also the narrative and ideological scope of progress.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm partial to them too, just because they used to live and work in Oxnard. I think only Chavez got a school in his name though.

Comedy option, our former city manager who put us over 14 million in the red. We didn't need good things anyway.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

EFF DEE ARR

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Grim to say in the state with Manzanar and Tule Lake.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

stone cold posted:

Grim to say in the state with Manzanar and Tule Lake.

If we're citing Chavez I think we're beyond the idea of our favorite politician being faultless or even making the right decisions all of the time.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 11, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If we're citing Chavez I think we're beyond the idea of our favorite politician being faultless or even making the right decisions all of the home.

Cesar Chavez: well known for locking up Japanese Americans and tossing them in camps

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, but pretty well known for endorsing the Philippines Ferdinand Marcos in Manila.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, but pretty well known for endorsing the Philippines Ferdinand Marcos in Manila.

endorsing marcos= rounding up Japanese Americans and putting them in camps