Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

If you mix equal parts 20° water and 10° water does it all turn into 15° water? Does it matter if it's Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It'll be pretty close to 15 degrees celsius. At warmer temperatures the specific heat of water increases, so the 20 degree water will hold slightly more energy per gram, and thus the temperature will end up very slightly above 15 degrees celsius. Also this is assuming your amounts are determined by mass and not volume because I didn't want to do the math for that.

Here's a table if you want to crunch out exact numbers: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-thermal-properties-d_162.html

If it's fahrenheit then you've probably got some kind of antifreeze additive in the water and must take that into account in your calculations. Either that or you're sticking ice cubes in a box together and then you need to take into account the environments temperature because the ice cubes will take a lot longer to reach a uniform temperature. For temperatures above freezing though the same idea applies.

E: That being said even ignoring the specific heat issue the error is pretty stupidly small and basically no one will care, probably.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 10, 2017

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yeah when I said Fahrenheit I just meant like "double the temperAture" so 100° and 50° will be around 75°?

Thanks for the explanation though, pretty interesting! I appreciate it

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I need to rent a car in the short term. I was looking at enterprise (close to my house, fits my budget, don't know any other places), but can't figure out: do they charge mileage fees? It'd be all in-state driving, I'd put no more than 500 miles on it in a week and that's a very high estimate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GobiasIndustries posted:

I need to rent a car in the short term. I was looking at enterprise (close to my house, fits my budget, don't know any other places), but can't figure out: do they charge mileage fees? It'd be all in-state driving, I'd put no more than 500 miles on it in a week and that's a very high estimate.

Enterprise will specifically list mileage fees when they're present, try clicking on the total price you see and it should pop up a breakdown of all applicable fees. As long as you're picking it up and returning it in the same state, or same location, they usually don't charge a mileage fee.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

If you mix equal parts 20° water and 10° water does it all turn into 15° water? Does it matter if it's Celsius or Fahrenheit?

I remember wondering about this back in high school, then covering temperature equations in physics class, then using that info to work out that yes, it averages out. I cannot remember any of the maths that explains why, though.

My maths is too poor to tell you whether it apples in Fahrenheit as well. It feels like it should though...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 10, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah when I said Fahrenheit I just meant like "double the temperAture" so 100° and 50° will be around 75°?

Thanks for the explanation though, pretty interesting! I appreciate it

Just be aware that terms like "double the temperature" only have actual physical meaning in relation to absolute zero. The "zero" points of Fahrenheit and Celsius are totally arbitrary; they're just convenient temperatures for us humans measuring things like the weather on Earth. Two degrees F is not "twice as hot" as one degree F in any real sense.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

I remember wondering about this back in high school, then covering temperature equations in physics class, then using that info to work out that yes, it averages out. I cannot remember any of the maths that explains why, though.

My maths is too poor to tell you whether it apples in Fahrenheit as well. It feels like it should though...

For high school physics yes, it'll average out because they're going to ignore the change in specific heat. Otherwise the definition of a joule when describing heating water wouldn't specify 4.184 J as heating 1g water from 0 to 1 degree celsius.

The temperature is going to be a function of the total energy in the system. Wikipedia gets lazy about this since it's a small difference, but you can see the water definition here (this is where wikipedia sourced it anyway) http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-units-d_664.html

As far as the doubling in temperature, as Powered Descent notes that is a whole other can of worms.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 10, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Convert to kelvin for heat-based calculations, do the math, then re-convert to whatever you want. Compare kelvin temperatures to get the ratio between different temperatures.

Heat is a measurement of molecular kinetic energy. Kelvin is an absolute scale for that.

Mixing 500K water and 1000K water results in 75K water.

Conversion to Celsius and you have 226c water and 726c water gives 476c water.

1c and 1K are the same division of heat, just Celsius is pushed down 273 degrees from kelvin. Fahrenheit divisions are different.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 10, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PRADA SLUT posted:

Local nerd discovers one weird trick to cool your house by mixing hot water (Thermodynamicists hate him!)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Can someone recommend me a good alternative to Microsoft Excel that isn't cloud-based? I really love Excel, but I am no longer in a place where I can use it, thus I'm seeking out free alternatives. Open Office is a loving trainwreck. I'm having problems with certain functions and when I try and resolve them by looking them up online, I'm seeing people as far back as 2009 having the same problems which have yet to be patched out, yet. And Google Docs might be okay, but this computer is kind of a shitheep and doing things online is a chore. I can run applications installed to the computer just fine, but online poo poo (Google Drive, Mapquest, whatever) brings it to a crawl.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Can someone recommend me a good alternative to Microsoft Excel that isn't cloud-based? I really love Excel, but I am no longer in a place where I can use it, thus I'm seeking out free alternatives. Open Office is a loving trainwreck. I'm having problems with certain functions and when I try and resolve them by looking them up online, I'm seeing people as far back as 2009 having the same problems which have yet to be patched out, yet. And Google Docs might be okay, but this computer is kind of a shitheep and doing things online is a chore. I can run applications installed to the computer just fine, but online poo poo (Google Drive, Mapquest, whatever) brings it to a crawl.
I think Libre Office is the current go-to for free, non-cloud office suites.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

Convert to kelvin for heat-based calculations, do the math, then re-convert to whatever you want. Compare kelvin temperatures to get the ratio between different temperatures.

Heat is a measurement of molecular kinetic energy. Kelvin is an absolute scale for that.

1c and 1K are the same division of heat, just Celsius is pushed down 273 degrees from kelvin. Fahrenheit divisions are different.

And what's (726 + 226)/2 ?

Converting to Kelvin and back does nothing useful there

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, I have a silly Excel question? Maybe? I'm trying to do something that I recall being very simple, but I learned on Excel 2007 and I'm using Excel 2003 now...I suspect this is still available, but it isn't in the same place, and I don't remember what it's called.

I've written a script for a kind of play, and I've put it into Column A the names of the characters and in Column B their associated lines. It's written chronologically, but I want someone to be able to, via a drop-down menu at the top of the table select, say, Character A and it will display only lines for Character A. I swear this is simple. Help?

EDIT: Neeeeevermind. This is a fancy feature from later Excels.

credburn fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 10, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Hey, I have a silly Excel question? Maybe? I'm trying to do something that I recall being very simple, but I learned on Excel 2007 and I'm using Excel 2003 now...I suspect this is still available, but it isn't in the same place, and I don't remember what it's called.

I've written a script for a kind of play, and I've put it into Column A the names of the characters and in Column B their associated lines. It's written chronologically, but I want someone to be able to, via a drop-down menu at the top of the table select, say, Character A and it will display only lines for Character A. I swear this is simple. Help?

Load it into Google Sheets and use Autofilter, for a free solution.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

credburn posted:

It's been there, in that place, since before Windows 95 came out, give or take.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Hyperlynx posted:

And what's (726 + 226)/2 ?

Converting to Kelvin and back does nothing useful there

No, but it's useful to convert for every heat calculation and to check for gently caress-ups. If you convert you're not going to get the wrong answer for anything else, like a Carnot cycle.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 10, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

credburn posted:

If you need to use complex functions and rely on them functioning you need to use real Excel. Why can't you just use Excel anymore? Any old copy of Excel from the past 20 years that you had is still going to run fine today.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

The specific heat changes with temperature. The specific heat is the amount of energy needed to change the temperature of a substance by 1 degree.

This means that if you can't assume a direct linear correlation between the energy put into the system and the temperature.

I will concede that I had it backwards and that the water temp will be slightly less than 15 degrees if you mix 10 and 20 celsius water.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

tuyop posted:

I vacuum sealed a loaf of white sourdough bread for mailing and it got all smushed down, is it ruined now or will it just magically pop back up?

I don't want to open it and cut it to check because that would ruin the whole point of sealing it in the first place.

I know it is too late for you now but don't use a vacuum sealer, instead do a Poor Mans vacuum seal.

Put the bread in a freezer ziplock bag. Seal the "zipper" almost shut leaving just a 1/2in or so open.

Fill your sink or a bucket, whatever is big enough, with water and submerge the bag in slowly stopping when the water displaces all the air.

Stop just short of the "zipper" part of the bag going under and then seal it.

The water isn't likely to crush the bread much but it will displace the air easily. You may have to help any air pockets escape when doing it.

Fake Edit: To be even more safe you can wrap the bread in plastic wrap before putting it into the bag to add a layer of protection.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

CrazySalamander posted:

The specific heat changes with temperature.

Oh cool! That's the bit they don't tell you in high school physics.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

No, but priceline a rental. you can get absurd deals sometimes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I've had a really obnoxious dry cough the last few evenings/nights. I've tried Delsym (dextrorphan) and Halls lozenges. So far only the Halls works, but it's obviously not a good idea to suck on one while going to sleep. Anything else I can try to help me get to sleep easier?

A very low dose of a narcotic pain reliever is like the best cough remedy out there. Do you know any Canadians or Texan rappers who can mail you the good cough syrup?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the best adhesive for temporarily attaching foam pads to some indoor varnished wood? It's okay to be rough with the pads but not to leave any residue. I'm thinking double-sided tape.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the best adhesive for temporarily attaching foam pads to some indoor varnished wood? It's okay to be rough with the pads but not to leave any residue. I'm thinking double-sided tape.

Hot glue. Just put little dots down, it'll come off of everything and hold well. If it stays behind really well, just heat it with a hair dryer and wipe it off.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Is Youtube Doubler dead? I can't find a trace of it online.

There was a Richard Feynman mashup with a DJ that I like to show my students once in a while.
(so if you have a non-youtube doubler version of that gem, let me know too!)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How many nukes would it take to end humanity? What are the differences between old school nukes and today's most powerful nukes? Tell me stuff about nukes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Industrial Meat Package posted:

How many nukes would it take to end humanity? What are the differences between old school nukes and today's most powerful nukes? Tell me stuff about nukes.

AIRPOWER/Cold War Thread: There is a Bear in the Woods

Ask the dudes in that thread - I wouldn't recommend trying to read it because it's currently pushing a thousand pages.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Does anybody know what kind of tree this is? It's dying and I'd like to save it, but I don't even know what to Google!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
After 6 years at our place, my wife and I got our first noise complaint. During a period where we were out of town 2 out of 3 weeks. I think it is just new people who haven't lived in apartments before upset that they can hear our footsteps. So the questions are: what are the best ways to reduce footstep noise for the downstaris neighbors, and how do we protect ourselves if the downstairs neighbors keep complaining about footsteps to our landlord?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Industrial Meat Package posted:

Here are two government documents that pretty much lay it all out --

Biological and Environmental Effects of Nuclear War. Summary-analysis of Hearings, June 22-26, 1959
The Effects of Nuclear War (1979)

Check out these sites for a ton of links for further reading:

The Nuclear Vault
The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
The Atomic Archive
ALSOS Digital Library for Nuclear Issues

The Nuclear Secrecy blog is also worth checking out. It's got a fun Nuclear Fallout Simulator, too! :v:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

joepinetree posted:

After 6 years at our place, my wife and I got our first noise complaint. During a period where we were out of town 2 out of 3 weeks. I think it is just new people who haven't lived in apartments before upset that they can hear our footsteps. So the questions are: what are the best ways to reduce footstep noise for the downstaris neighbors, and how do we protect ourselves if the downstairs neighbors keep complaining about footsteps to our landlord?

Take off your shoes when you enter the apartment, change your walking style so you don't stomp, lose some weight.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Search didn't seem to work: is there any thread where people would be talking about the MIT Mystery Hunt? Is there a goon team?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

Carpet/rugs, and proactively talk to your landlord about it. If it is a "never lived in an apartment" issue then it's best to get in front of it and make clear that you aren't going to tiptoe around a place you pay rent to live in.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Introduce yourself to your downstairs neighbors.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

kedo posted:

Introduce yourself to your downstairs neighbors.

We're planning on doing that once both of us are back in town, but I don't have high hopes since their first act has been to file a formal complaint.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I attempted to Google and couldn't find a firm answer... Do the Queen's guards carry guns with live ammo? I've seen many YouTube videos of them pointing assault weapons at people and wondered if they really had the authority to gun rear end in a top hat tourists down.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liar posted:

I attempted to Google and couldn't find a firm answer... Do the Queen's guards carry guns with live ammo? I've seen many YouTube videos of them pointing assault weapons at people and wondered if they really had the authority to gun rear end in a top hat tourists down.

The guards with guns do have live ammo. They're legit soldiers and everything, and if you really did try to storm the gates or something they will shoot if neccesary.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liar posted:

Their rifles aren't loaded unless there's a reason for heightened security, but they always carry live ammo on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Take off your shoes when you enter the apartment, change your walking style so you don't stomp, lose some weight.
This, and beyond this, be sure to enjoy living in the place you're paying rent in, which includes not being terrified every time you want to walk across the floor. If you've been there 6 years and the new neighbors have been there a month, the landlord knows what the score is.