Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is on Netflix and I checked out an episode. That is one rough cartoon. I don't know what I was expecting but the animation was terrible. The show skewed much younger than I thought, too.

Oh, and "Spider-Friends Go For It!" can't hold a candle to "Wallopin' Websnappers!"

The two most notable things are Frank Welker recycling the Freddie from Scooby Doo voice as Iceman, which is a weird choice, and how blatantly Firestar is just MJ with superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

The two most notable things are Frank Welker recycling the Freddie from Scooby Doo voice as Iceman, which is a weird choice, and how blatantly Firestar is just MJ with superpowers.

Yeah I heard Welker instantly, though I've never been much of a Scooby fan so to me it sounds like Ray from The Real Ghostbusters. I think I remember hearing that the Ray/Freddie type voice is pretty much just how Frank Welker sounds normally. It's his villains and animals that are the real efforts.

Good call on Firestar. There's a part where the three of them are hanging out with Aunt May and I was confused for a sec, especially since nobody in the episode (the very first one) is ever properly introduced. Really seemed like MJ with brown hair.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Watch the Seven Little Super Heroes episode. It has Namor, Captain America, Doctor Strange, and Shanna against the only villain that'd be a threat against their combined might: the Chameleon! That was my first real introduction to all these characters, and holds a special place in my heart.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A new Scarlet Spider series from Peter David and Mark Bagley is coming.

It spoils the fact that Kaine and Ben both survive Clone Conspiracy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'll give it a shot but I just kinda don't care about them replacing Kaine with what sounds like Kaine 2.0. I'm not really sure there's much demand for "we brought Ben Reily back but he's a completely different character now."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why can I see his mouth through the mask? It's unnerving.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I'll give it a shot but I just kinda don't care about them replacing Kaine with what sounds like Kaine 2.0. I'm not really sure there's much demand for "we brought Ben Reily back but he's a completely different character now."

Well it'd be kind of weird to just ignore everything Slott did to him even if I'm not a fan of it.

And... I'm not really sure how he's like Kaine. Kaine as Scarlet was brooding and more violent than Peter. This is Ben struggling with some real trauma that he's endured and being caught between identities.

Also Kaine is going to be an important character, so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well it'd be kind of weird to just ignore everything Slott did to him even if I'm not a fan of it.

And... I'm not really sure how he's like Kaine. Kaine as Scarlet was brooding and more violent than Peter. This is Ben struggling with some real trauma that he's endured and being caught between identities.

Also Kaine is going to be an important character, so.

He is a clone of Peter Parker who was a supervillain and now is torn between his old messed-up ways and his attempts to live up to the heart of Peter Parker while taking on the name Scarlet Spider and on the run because of his past crimes. Kaine's own book was also about the trauma he endured and his struggle between who he used to be and who he wants to be. Obviously it won't be an identical set of stories, it just seems odd in general.

Like I said, maybe I'll be surprised and pleased. (I was about Kaine's own book!) it just sounds like an odd reason to bring back a dead character

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, I mean... everything you pointed out there is unavoidable due to the circumstances he was brought back with.

I mean. I doubt CC was conceived and pitched for the sake of this book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, I mean... everything you pointed out there is unavoidable due to the circumstances he was brought back with.

I mean. I doubt CC was conceived and pitched for the sake of this book.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? I never said that CC was made for this book, just that it's gonna have to work to impress me and seems like a poor fit for Ben Reily fans.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? I never said that CC was made for this book, just that it's gonna have to work to impress me and seems like a poor fit for Ben Reily fans.

Well, you were talking about this book when you talked about "reasons for bringing back a dead character" and that's the conclusion I drew from your words. I apologize.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That new costume is total poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That suit is so bad. Mark must have forgotten that while Ben once wore a hoodie he never actually pulled the hood up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The red and blue on his forearm look weird. Without any clear markings between them, those two colours mixed like with the musculature make it look like an anatomy figure.

And that mouth, what the gently caress?

Does anybody at Marvel remember when Bagley was good at making costumes? No, of course not, because there was never a time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, you were talking about this book when you talked about "reasons for bringing back a dead character" and that's the conclusion I drew from your words. I apologize.

I think we both we both misunderstood each other so all good.

Rhyno posted:

That suit is so bad. Mark must have forgotten that while Ben once wore a hoodie he never actually pulled the hood up.

To be fair you can do a good hoodie-spider. Spider Gwen's costume shows that off.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the costume is fine since it's trying to blend the original Spidey one with the Scarlet Spider.

Except the mouth on the mask. That is bad.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah that costume is kinda really bad. I feel like that mouth thing was only added so his costume doesn't look quite so much like bad cross between SpiderGwen, Miles's suit, and the most recent Scarlet Spider costume. I'm still hopeful, but I really want another good Scarlet Spider comic. I've always argued that having multiple webslingers was the best way of reflecting how much the character has changed, and how different parts of the character have been integral to different folks' view of the true spiderman.

Let a married Peter have MJ and be a photographer.
Miles can navigate the awkward kid and living up to the legacy of the dead.
Superior Spiderman gets to be a mad scientist solving everything with web inventions.
Clones get to deal with the "hero or villain?" stuff, no public support and crumbling life and struggling to be both Spiderman and someone else. Hell split that up and throw in Khaine still sticking with that awful spider totem crap I didn't think anyone actually cared about.
Are any of the MVP clones still around? Even let them run around in their Iron Spider suits doing uh.. something.
We're all Spidermans now!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

The red and blue on his forearm look weird. Without any clear markings between them, those two colours mixed like with the musculature make it look like an anatomy figure.

And that mouth, what the gently caress?

Does anybody at Marvel remember when Bagley was good at making costumes? No, of course not, because there was never a time.

Thunderbolts?

I kinda wish they'd just go with Ben's original Scarlet Spider costume, yes it was lame, but it was an endearing lame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Thunderbolts?

I kinda wish they'd just go with Ben's original Scarlet Spider costume, yes it was lame, but it was an endearing lame.

Eh, the only truly great design in T-Bolts is Songbird

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Citizen V's suit is awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Citizen V's suit is awesome.

Eh, I get the deliberate mockery of the sword instead of Cap's shield and Zemo literally draping himself in the flag, but it's a bit too on the nose for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, I get the deliberate mockery of the sword instead of Cap's shield and Zemo literally draping himself in the flag, but it's a bit too on the nose for me.

Your face it too on the nose!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, I remember one Spider-Man clone had a mouth on his mask. And that exact colour scheme.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

There's nothing wrong with any of their costumes, except Moonstone's weird spiky birdface one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaz-L posted:

Don't forget that Citizen V's mask was a big V too.

What I loved most about Citizen V was he was a Made up character with a made up background that Zemo made up*, and then it turned out that there really was a dude with that backstory. What are the odds?

*= So Zemo's dad kills the original Citizen V, gangsta style. And Helmut figures he'd take that guy and just pretend to be his Grandson. Since that sounds legitimate, if really hard to verify.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 10, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Citizen V's costume was amazing. Dude had Patriotic Pauldrons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I did find it odd that Zemo-V's body suit was purple.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I knew about Citizen V long before I learned of V for Vendetta. Did Marvel play into it at all?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I knew about Citizen V long before I learned of V for Vendetta. Did Marvel play into it at all?

I'm sure Busiek made a reference somewhere but I recall nothing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So. Normie likes Annie May.

Conway is doing this on purpose, right? it's not just a dumb coincidence i'm looking too into? also cute issue but i'm very ready to stop starting issues in the past but with a different POV.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So. Normie likes Annie May.

Conway is doing this on purpose, right? it's not just a dumb coincidence i'm looking too into? also cute issue but i'm very ready to stop starting issues in the past but with a different POV.

I think he was just taking the time to establish the stories and lives of Peter, MJ and Annie May through a single story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I get that, and the idea is fine, just don't dig the execution.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I get that, and the idea is fine, just don't dig the execution.

Well I mean he is probably only gonna due it for the introduction so you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I hope.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wait a second. I just realized that she's literally named Anime.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

And we see the face of a normie liking anime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

There's nothing wrong with any of their costumes, except Moonstone's weird spiky birdface one.

Oh, I'm not saying the others are BAD. I even sort of like MACH, but a lot of them are very generic 90s designs and the Citizen V one exists primarily for thematic reasons that don't hold up once the story's played out. Songbird is the only one I think works complete isolated from the story, like if you showed it to someone who'd never heard of Thunderbolts they might say "Hey, that is a cool superhero lady".

Vince MechMahon posted:

...I hate comics writers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So apparently Annie's sketch of the Spider-Family? Was done by Stegman's niece for $25. :3:

And Normie just can't help but get crushes on Parker girls. His grandpa would be ashamed. Although that page is genius when you see the juxtaposition between 'I won't be the first Osborn to betray that legacy' and who is that marvelous young woman? :syoon:'

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vince MechMahon posted:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And we see the face of a normie liking anime.

Yeah, me too.

:sigh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, that's just an unfortunate coincidence, Conway's not responsible for either of those names!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
After the latest Clone Conspiracy I'm tickled to see how Ben can be redeemed into a heroic character, as this series has painted him as a thoroughly repugnant piece of poo poo who nearly destroyed the world, and this is coming from someone who really really liked Ben as the Scarlet Spider. Pretty blah chapter but I did enjoy seeing Otto flip his lid that anyone would dare insult any part of Anna Maria.

• Locked thread