Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Repairing it, or sending it out for repair, would be worth it if it needs it. The 51s are pretty common by antique pen standards but they're also coveted for their quality and style. And what better way to enjoy it than to use it?

Good luck! You probably have a very fine pen on your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Iznogood posted:

It's a vacumatic alright. I'll try what you said. Anyways what's the worst that can happen? A big mess of ink? Rigth? If it's too much of a pain I'll just keep it and not use it. Not like I need it or expect it to perform anywhere neer more modern pens. It's a souvenir from my grandpa and prety neat as is. The mechanical pencil works like a charm.

Thanks a ton for the advice!

With a little bit of TLC those vintage Parkers will write better than modern pens, no joke.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

NeurosisHead posted:

With a little bit of TLC those vintage Parkers will write better than modern pens, no joke.

Ah! Well then I know what to do! Thanks!

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

An unrestored vacumatic will almost always need a new diaphragm. That's one of those repairs that really does require special tools and a massive amount of patience (preferably from a professional penguy).

Aeromatics are usually perfectly usable after just a soak/flush, unless the previous owner left some delicious superchrome in the sac that softened internals and melted the silver breather tube.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Superchrome really is the gift that keeps on giving, literally decades later.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

My Man Shran posted:

An unrestored vacumatic will almost always need a new diaphragm. That's one of those repairs that really does require special tools and a massive amount of patience (preferably from a professional penguy).

Aeromatics are usually perfectly usable after just a soak/flush, unless the previous owner left some delicious superchrome in the sac that softened internals and melted the silver breather tube.

Wait I made an error it's a aeromatic. I am supposed to fill it by pressing 4 times on the plastic tube. SO I'll soak/flush and hope for the best.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Give it a little shake. If you hear a rattle then the breather has been superchrome'd. If not, you have just acquired a fantastic pen that will outlive you.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

My Man Shran posted:

Give it a little shake. If you hear a rattle then the breather has been superchrome'd. If not, you have just acquired a fantastic pen that will outlive you.

No rattle! I'll flush it and fill it up and see how it goes. Thanks again! I'll post the results here of course. Very excited to try it.

edit: Started to flush it with the 1/10 vinager ratio and all this rish blue ink started to pour out. I flushed it a lot and in the end the pen still has ink but it runs perfect and the little guy writes pretty well. Think I'll use it as is until it runs out the flush again. The ink is pale so probably almost out and thinned with the flush mixture.

by the way the pics don't do it justice the pen is a deep green color.

Also the box says box no .270 - M

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 2, 2017

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ugh there are no words for how jealous I am. That is a beautiful pen. :allears:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Last post about my pen. Ran out the blue ink and flushed it again until clear. Filled it up with black ink and have zero leaks it seems and the pen does write very well. Not scratchy at all.
Think I will be using this one a lot. THanks again to the thread!!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought an old Swan for cheap and ended up with a 1936ish sm105/60. I'm trying to find out more info about out, I know that the 5 in 105 denotes a trim level and I've been told that while a 205 is pretty common a 105 is not.

Anyway, pictures.

And so I don't poo poo up the thread with too many photos, here's a gallery.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
A long time ago I got gifted an early 90s Mont Blanc Meisterstruck 149. I'm fond of it because it's a transitional model with most of the features of the the mid-90s pens, but it has the two-tone 14k nib common to mid-late 80s pens.

Unfortunately, it's a Mont Blanc M nib, and both my cursive and my block letters are small to medium in size. I can only use this pen on finer papers that don't feather as much.

Also unfortunate - the pen appears to have a feed problem. It will write well for about 10 minutes, then become a dry scratchy mess. Manually spinning the piston filler to feed some ink will wet the pen again for about 10 minutes, but this is obviously a problem. I have soaked the pen twice with two good overnight soaks, and even tried to spread the tines manually myself. Neither fixed the problem.

So, I think I need to have it sent off to have some work done. I have already settled on Mark Bacas of nibgrinder.com to do this work for me. My dilemma is, do I send it off just to have a regular service done, or get him to throw on a custom grind in addition to the usual service? It's the broadest pen in my collection (I have a 1.1 stub Eco from TWSBI and a Vanishing Point in M), so I was maybe wanting to change it up by getting an architect grind for this pen. Good idea? Sacrilege to an old Mont Blanc? Please tell me your thoughts!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, first of all you have a classic air exchange issue. The pen is putting out ink faster than air can be fed back in to the reservoir so spreading the tines likely made it worse. In regards to servicing, do whatever you think would get you to start using the pen again. It's criminal to have a 149 and not use the thing.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Just went nuts at wonderpens.. Came out to 118 CAN$ with shipping. I guess it's not bad but it's a lot of money for something I JUST DO NOT NEED. Ha ha. I have a couple pens and my vintage parker 51 I just don't need more. You enabling assholes.

edit: guess I went thru the first post and got up to date in entry level fountain pens. Cannot wait!
Also got my first Pilot Metropolitan black from amazon. First fine nib and I do not like it one bit. Guess I need to get used to it. Ordered a new one in medium below.

All in Black Lamy Starter Kit
- Rhodia DotPad No.16 - Black (A5)
- Lamy Safari Fountain Pen - Black
- Lamy Ink Cartridge Pack of 5 - Black

Pilot Metropolitan - Diamond Gold [Nib Size:Medium]

Pilot Fountain Pen Kakuno - Orange - Medium

Noodler's Fountain Pen Ink (3oz/90mL) - V-mail Operation Overlord Orange - 2mL Sample
Noodler's Fountain Pen Ink (3oz/90mL) - Black Swan in Australian Roses - 2mL

Noodler's Standard Nib Creaper Flex Fountain Pen - Clear Demonstrator

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 6, 2017

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

What's a notebook that might be suitable for something like taking notes that has paper that holds up well with fountain pens? Paper size isn't especially important but more pages is good, as are subject dividers. My backup plan is buying several mnemosyne notebooks, since I used one for a particular class last semester and it worked out well enough, but just having one big notebook can be convenient.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Klades posted:

What's a notebook that might be suitable for something like taking notes that has paper that holds up well with fountain pens? Paper size isn't especially important but more pages is good, as are subject dividers. My backup plan is buying several mnemosyne notebooks, since I used one for a particular class last semester and it worked out well enough, but just having one big notebook can be convenient.

Well, there's this:

My Man Shran posted:

Hello fountainfriends. I am here once again to preach the Gospel of Circa (or ARC/rollabind/Magnum/whatever the walmart brand is/the poo poo at hobby lobby).

Imagine, if you will, a binder that can be folded back on itself like a regular notebook. And it gets better, my childer. This system can be customized with any paper you want and terrible accessories from dozens of terrible places. Mine is filled with HP-32lb for important notebooks and bagasse for others. Buy a $10 punch off of ebay and go to town.

Don't pay full price at Levenger to get started, though. Levenger stuff is generally high quality, but it's insanely overpriced and pretentious. Staples frequently firesales ARC stuff and rollabind products are competitively priced.

I did this with the Staples Arc version of it and threw Staples brand 25% cotton "fine laser paper" in it. I had the bigass leather cover. This was back when I worked at Staples and got the employee discount, so this may or may not work for you, but decent quality paper in some kind of big refillable notebook worked well for four classes for me for an entire semester.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: nvm I'm just gonna post a tell me thread

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 7, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Wow wonderpens has already shipped my order and I even got a tracking number. I remember reading there would not be any if I chose expresspost. Stocked!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Klades posted:

I picked up a Filofax notebook for school, gaming, and personal notes--and it's great. I love that the pages can be rearranged, that there are dividers (one has a pocket!) and that it opens flat. The paper is okay. I get a tiny bit of bleed-through, but not enough to keep me from using both sides of the page. I use broad nibs, so I expect some bleed-through with anything. Zero feathering with either Iroshizukus or Noodler's Lexington Grey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEB3aLgvcHk

Goulet does a great review. They couldn't match the price I got from Staples, though Goulet has all the refills and the smaller size available.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went to my first antique fair and found a late 1950s Conway Stewart 58, in NOS condition for a song. Still has the original sac in it in perfect condition.

The gentleman I bought it off was a watch guy and got the pens in an estate sale, I was a bit late to the party but there were still some prime bargains there.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

Went to my first antique fair and found a late 1950s Conway Stewart 58, in NOS condition for a song. Still has the original sac in it in perfect condition.

The gentleman I bought it off was a watch guy and got the pens in an estate sale, I was a bit late to the party but there were still some prime bargains there.

Wow it is beautiful! What would be a lets say 100-200$ really nice looking fountain pen. I'd like to have a "next level" pen but if I am going to pay that amount of money I want it to look great. So I guess looks over function but not tot he point of being a bad pen. I shop around but there is so much choice.. I like fatter pens and details and color. Any recommendation is very welcomed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

You can get good looking and great feeling for less than that, TWSBI Vac 700 and 580ALs are both excellent if you like demonstrators, and if you want something different the stub nibs I've had from them are consistently great.

I don't have any more expensive modern pens, but I'm getting into antique more and more, you can pick up gold nibbed amazing writers for that price range. The Conway was only $65 (I got lucky, but not bad for a used price) or a Parker 51 or alike. I paid $125 for mine and that's on the high side currently and it's the best fine nib I've ever used, and a very attractive pen.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

You can get good looking and great feeling for less than that, TWSBI Vac 700 and 580ALs are both excellent if you like demonstrators, and if you want something different the stub nibs I've had from them are consistently great.

I don't have any more expensive modern pens, but I'm getting into antique more and more, you can pick up gold nibbed amazing writers for that price range. The Conway was only $65 (I got lucky, but not bad for a used price) or a Parker 51 or alike. I paid $125 for mine and that's on the high side currently and it's the best fine nib I've ever used, and a very attractive pen.

Well I have a parker 51 if you look up in the last couple of posts. I'll look at what you suggested! I buy all the time on ebay but not vintage stuff on auction. I'll give that a try too why not?

Thanks!

edit: that one is the kind of looks I am looking for. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Conway-Stewart-75-Ultramarine-Blue-Marble-Chrome-Trim-Fountain-Pen-Minty-/381897796600

edit2: oh well bid on it will surely be outbid but as it stands I could have it for 90 CAN$ shipped. Not bad I think. No idea how high is too high on this item.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 8, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just picked up a TWSBI Eco with the stub nib, and I don't think I'll ever go back to writing with a non-stub. It's just too good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
#stublife

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
So along with a few other colors, I grabbed a 10mL of Poussière de Lune, to see how the "new" formula differed. I'm not terribly impressed. Even allowing for the fineness of the nibs I used, (or rather, looking at the top line, where I used a dip pen) the "new" one is noticeably redder — it's lacking that dusty quality I liked so much. It is, as I wrote, more violet than the deep purple I've come to expect. It's not terrible, by any means, but it's flashier, in my opinion. Something like "it looks like you're writing in purple," rather than "you wrote, and it just happens to be purple." It got a little bit darker at the last paragraph, and I'm hoping it'll continue to darken, but it's still a pale imitation of what it was, and I doubt that'll change much.

The colors aren't quite what I'm seeing (they're both a bit darker in person), but it's enough to see the difference.

click for full-size

Paper's just some random filler paper, for what that's worth.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I made the mistake of ordering all those sample inks recently so now I am in dire need of full size bottles of Noodler's Blue Nose Bear (forums poster Heath was completely right, this is the color I was looking for) and Noodler's Turquoise. I'm also considering buying another pen. I have been considering getting a Vista or a fourth safari to keep filled with Blue Nose Bear for everyday writing. I have also given up on ever being able to clean the glitter out of my Vac 700. The glitter comes from the Diamine shimmer inks, which I have 4 different kinds of and use quite a lot for taking work notes when I'm working from home (it makes work more enjoyable...) but when I successfully rinse my pens clear of ink I sometimes find that the next non-glitter ink I put in the pen still has glitter. I actually kind of like it when it happens in my safaris or the metros but its a little annoying in the Vac 700 which was my dedicated Golden Sands pen. I have one annoyance** with my Vac 700, so I was considering getting the TWSBI Mini because it came up when I asked the thread for advice on a ~$50 pen to get, but I guess I will pose to the thread again; what ~$50 pen would you recommend? I guess my only requirement this time is that it not be vacuum filling maybe?

**I love every aspect of my TWSBI Vac 700 except the vacuum filling part. It doesn't help that I have been known to tighten things too tight, so refilling the pen is a pain because I can never manage to untwist the vacuum end without it becoming this whole production. It's clearly my fault but even when I'm careful it happens every time :\ you'd think I'd have cracked the pen by now with my constant swapping of nibs with my over tightening but the nib and cap are never overtightened? It's so weird.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Got to love it when the internet is right. Just got home from a store where I bought a small Rhodia pad to see what all the fuss was about. They had clairefontaine pads too and they seemed fine too. Anyways, just wrote on my Rhodia with some of my fountain pens and ha ha ha holy poo poo is it smooth. Had no idea. Always just used whatever paper I had or cheap bulk pads. No idea if Rhodia is really the best or whatever but what I can say is if I was selling pens I would have peoples try them on that. Because the paper just made my pens 100% smoother. Silky smooth.

Lost the ebay auction and am still wondering what's the best way to throw 100-150 CAN$ on a nice looking fountain pen. I'm more into vintage and/or colorful stuff then modern bare metal designs. Is there a place where peoples sell/exchange fountain pens? Bonus if it's Canadian or Canada friendly. And hey if one of you guy's thinks he/she has the perfect fit for me hit me in private or here in the thread (if it's not agaisnt the rules).

Also gotta hate ebay how are you supposed to win auctions with all the sniping.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Iznogood posted:

Lost the ebay auction and am still wondering what's the best way to throw 100-150 CAN$ on a nice looking fountain pen. I'm more into vintage and/or colorful stuff then modern bare metal designs.

Check out Edison pens. Modern construction with a vintage look and pretty acrylics.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Check out Edison pens. Modern construction with a vintage look and pretty acrylics.

Thanks! They do look great but somewhat over my budget at this point. I'll look around the used market perhaps a deal can be made I really do like the look.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

isellpens.com is officially dead. Todd may end up dumping some of his remaining stock on eBay, but we'll see.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Iznogood posted:

Lost the ebay auction and am still wondering what's the best way to throw 100-150 CAN$ on a nice looking fountain pen.

If you don't care about the hunt then check out this guy http://www.pensmith.com.au

He has a ton of beautifully restored pens for prices in your range, not sure how much you'll pay for shipping from Australia.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Anybody see any problems with this picture?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

GenericGirlName posted:

Blue Nose Bear

If you like BNB you may also try Noodler's Dostoyevsky, very similar color but slightly less on the green side. Very well behaved, although it's a little more expensive (19.50 compared to 12.50 or whatever)

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

If you don't care about the hunt then check out this guy http://www.pensmith.com.au

He has a ton of beautifully restored pens for prices in your range, not sure how much you'll pay for shipping from Australia.

Well you sir do not get the bonus for being in Canada! :agesilaus:

His website is so difficult to navigate it's insane. Prices seem good but not sure how aus money converts to CA. Probably like pounds or euro? Shipping sounds like it could be reasonable. It is a small pen afterall.
But I'll still try to find someone/store not at the literal otherside of the world to me. And take chances on ebay.

Thing with ebay auctions are that:
1- I am often not sure how much a pen is worth so have a hard time bidding.
2- I am not made of money if I bid on a pen I pretty much cannot bid on another one for fear I would win both.
3- Not sure I want to play the I'll outbid you with one second left game
4- obvious fear of being rippedoff but I do have "street smarts" on ebay so I should be ok.

Getting my orders today! Also got a "Pilot Parallel Pen 2-Color Calligraphy Pen " off of amazon that's arriving today with my wonderpens order. Have to say wonderpens impress me immensely. Good prices (1-2$ over amazon), cheap flat rate shipping and they sent my order saturday and I am getting it today! Ordered friday. For a non amazon store this is as good as it gets for me. Unfortunate that they don't sell vintage pens. I'm often in Toronto for business I will make sure to visit the store next time.

Note to self: keep money because ink samples are arriving and ink will probably get ordered :dance:

Thanks again for help/suggestions everyone.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 10, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've always wondered about getting a set of Parallels and would like to hear about what you think of it when it arrives.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

I've always wondered about getting a set of Parallels and would like to hear about what you think of it when it arrives.

Sure but it's a first for me so don't expect any in depth review. Should be here around noon.

edit: well! I just won a auction! It was not much so I figured if it was a error it was not a costly one. Pen seems fine and I like the look. Guess I'll see when it arrives. If someone knows what kind of deal I just got please enlighten me.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/162344363538

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 10, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

It's the rare fission nib :v:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Hum I am a little concerned that my seller has other auctions for the exact same pen. Did not realise that before bidding. He has a excellent reputation but I am wondering why one would do that. Is it some tactic to get the best price possible?

This is one of the other auctions he has. It is the exact same pen the exact same photos. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sheaffer-white-dot-lifetime-balance-fountain-pen-in-green-pearl-black-and-red/162347170381

Should I be concerned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

That's not even an electroplate weld, is it? It's just straight up adhesive.