Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Someone stole a couple of those insane razer triple-monitor laptops from ces. Does this count tangentially as a secfuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Someone stole a couple of those insane razer triple-monitor laptops from ces. Does this count tangentially as a secfuck?

Didn't they have another prototype walk away a year or two ago? I think it was one of the razerblade laptops or something like that.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
razer had some testing coupon code that let you order anything for 90% off and they had it live and the internet got hold of it and welp

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I remember being about ten or eleven years old and reading fat wallet or slick deals when those people got hold of a pricing error and then invoking notions of "I'll get a class action lawyer!" once dell denied their orders for 200 monitors

a whole lot of severe pedantic dorks when I just wanted to build a computer on fixing AOL installer wages

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bulgakov posted:

I remember being about ten or eleven years old and reading fat wallet or slick deals when those people got hold of a pricing error and then invoking notions of "I'll get a class action lawyer!" once dell denied their orders for 200 monitors

a whole lot of severe pedantic dorks when I just wanted to build a computer on fixing AOL installer wages

Most of the time they wouldn't be honored, but sometimes....

And that's how I got a Pentium4 Northwood processor for .99c in like august 2002 .

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

jre posted:

If you are using this professionally why would you even blink at $50 for something that will improve your productivity

listen the terminal software is only a drop in the bucket when youre on windows

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Most of the time they wouldn't be honored, but sometimes....

And that's how I got a Pentium4 Northwood processor for .99c in like august 2002 .

you overpaid

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Progressive JPEG posted:

listen the terminal software is only a drop in the bucket when youre on windows

and also if you spend so much time using ssh that the difference between using putty and using mobaxterm is significant, you dun goofed

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Given it's increasingly hard to buy appliances that aren't connect to the internet what's the sec thread approved way of stopping your house being used to take part in ddosing xbox live because some russian teenager got knifed on cod? Other then burning your internet of poo poo filled house with yourself locked inside.

Put everything on a separate wifi network with each device only having whitelisted connections to their update server sort of thing?

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 10, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You could not connect them to the internet like you do now with your current fridge/freezer/tumbler

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
And enjoy your house fire when the fridge decides it's time to set its temperature to 2 billion degrees because it couldn't resolve dumbfridge.samsung.co.kr.

No, the way of going about this is to buy dumb appliances. They're probably still cheaper at this point, even.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Truga posted:

And enjoy your house fire when the fridge decides it's time to set its temperature to 2 billion degrees because it couldn't resolve dumbfridge.samsung.co.kr.

No, the way of going about this is to buy dumb appliances. They're probably still cheaper at this point, even.

for now thats an option but just like tvs what will happen is that "premium" sizes or featuresets will eventually be smart only then ones with relatively mundane features like everything with an ice maker or a timer on the oven and then it will just be the lovely rental unit ones that arent smart and everything else will be smart

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

honestly, this is great

brb dumping all blu ray encryption keys

LastInLine posted:

for now thats an option but just like tvs what will happen is that "premium" sizes or featuresets will eventually be smart only then ones with relatively mundane features like everything with an ice maker or a timer on the oven and then it will just be the lovely rental unit ones that arent smart and everything else will be smart

i'll be the idiot paying idiot hipster tax for dumb fridges in 2030, if (lomarf) iot is still a shitshow.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 10, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Truga posted:

honestly, this is great

brb dumping all blu ray encryption keys

same, except netflix, itunes, youtube and amazon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wheany posted:

same, except netflix, itunes, youtube and amazon

why do you need jtag for those?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Perplx posted:

my vps cost 1.29 USD a month

yeah but you had to, like, know what a linux is for that

LastInLine posted:

at work we just bought a 55" TV that is "a giant android tablet" since it runs android and has a capacitive touchscreen and everyone in the office but me thinks it's so cool and amazing and i'm just like "lol it's gonna get ransomware and become a $5000 wall decoration"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

at work we just bought a 55" TV that is "a giant android tablet" since it runs android and has a capacitive touchscreen and everyone in the office but me thinks it's so cool and amazing and i'm just like "lol it's gonna get ransomware and become a $5000 wall decoration"

Parents had an android smart tv with some outdated poo poo on it, and it would take 2+ minutes to start every time they turned it on because it was timing out trying to update apps it has installed or some poo poo that would not resolve. They were about to return it to the store, and I just took out the wifi creds and it started booting fast again.

I'm shopping for new TVs now and I'm just afraid I'd get one that flat out refuses to work without an active connection.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MononcQc posted:

Parents had an android smart tv with some outdated poo poo on it, and it would take 2+ minutes to start every time they turned it on because it was timing out trying to update apps it has installed or some poo poo that would not resolve. They were about to return it to the store, and I just took out the wifi creds and it started booting fast again.

I'm shopping for new TVs now and I'm just afraid I'd get one that flat out refuses to work without an active connection.

I've read about ones that require an Internet connection to complete setup before you're allowed to actually watch anything on it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've read about ones that require an Internet connection to complete setup before you're allowed to actually watch anything on it

yeah, those scare me less because there's a much small window for problems with it and it can reasonably be done within the 3 days legal warranty to return anything to the store. As long as I can take the credentials out and bring the tv offline without killing the thing I'm fine.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was explaining what a ransomware was to a coworker who didn't know anything about it and why TV's can now get them and he was like "but if the TV isn't smart how will I watch netflix on it??"

"you know they sell like $30 boxes that do that that you can hook up to the TV, and then even if that thing gets rekt you're only out $30 instead of an entire TV"

"ohhhhhhh that makes much more sense!"

thanks guy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Maybe don't go to dodgy russian app "stores" on your smart TV?

:shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

i wonder if it's been patched for that issue where just opening any kind of image on the thing owned it

or if it's been patched at all, actually

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

are you not aware of security problems with internet of things poo poo (and by extension smart tvs)

i was explaining what a ransomware was to a coworker who didn't know anything about it and why TV's can now get them and he was like "but if the TV isn't smart how will I watch netflix on it??"

"you know they sell like $30 boxes that do that that you can hook up to the TV, and then even if that thing gets rekt you're only out $30 instead of an entire TV"

"ohhhhhhh that makes much more sense!"

thanks guy
Rokus are great little momputer-type devices and they seem a lot more bolted down than your average iot device

can you even install apps on a roku or are you just stuck with what it's bundled with? I don't remember

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

are you not aware of security problems with internet of things poo poo (and by extension smart tvs)

Rokus are great little momputer-type devices and they seem a lot more bolted down than your average iot device

can you even install apps on a roku or are you just stuck with what it's bundled with? I don't remember

my mom has one and you can install "apps" but it's only like, a selection of 20-30 apps that are just things like hulu or netflix

i like that thing actually, it has a really weird "free TV" service on it that has "channels" composed of bizarre garbage sub-youtube dregs, like there's this one 'channel' about videogames where every single 'show' takes place in the exact same room and they're all just 'nerds sit around and talk about videogames' or 'nerds sit around while wearing onesies and talk about videogames,' it's like some kind of modern public access station

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

i wonder if it's been patched for that issue where just opening any kind of image on the thing owned it

or if it's been patched at all, actually

You know full well that it's never getting a firmware update.

Right, but if you're only using it as a TV tuner and don't hook it up to the internet...

(point taken though)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

My Sony TV gets an update every few months, no doubt to introduce new vulnerabilities.

When I had a Roku in like 2010 there were dozens of apps I could install, mostly terrible youtube clones. Has the ecosystem fallen apart?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Right, but if you're only using it as a TV tuner and don't hook it up to the internet...

(point taken though)

i've asked this before but i can't remember the answer, do these devices come with ipv6 disabled?

if these things have telnet running on port 23 or whatever, is that getting broadcast to the internet without NAT?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

(point taken though)

If it's not hooked up to the Internet, then it's probably not going to get owned, but how many people are going to know not to keep it hooked up?

i like that thing actually, it has a really weird "free TV" service on it that has "channels" composed of bizarre garbage sub-youtube dregs, like there's this one 'channel' about videogames where every single 'show' takes place in the exact same room and they're all just 'nerds sit around and talk about videogames' or 'nerds sit around while wearing onesies and talk about videogames,' it's like some kind of modern public access station
this sounds like the 2016 equivalent of some poo poo you'd find on television at 3 in the morning

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

My Sony TV gets an update every few months, no doubt to introduce new vulnerabilities.

When I had a Roku in like 2010 there were dozens of apps I could install, mostly terrible youtube clones. Has the ecosystem fallen apart?

idk maybe, there's different roku versions and i know my mom has a cheaper, older one so maybe it's significantly more locked down than the "nice" ones? idk i just remember it having barely anything besides major services and angry birds for some reason.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

yeah but you had to, like, know what a linux is for that

at work we just bought a 55" TV that is "a giant android tablet" since it runs android and has a capacitive touchscreen and everyone in the office but me thinks it's so cool and amazing and i'm just like "lol it's gonna get ransomware and become a $5000 wall decoration goatse mural"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

apple tv is the best, but roku is the next best. they have decent apps and things work well but holy poo poo the UI is the most unoptimized laggy low framerate pos ever

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

working in av consulting is cool because i have a list of all professional displays and can pick and choose what features i do want (RCA audio out) and dont want (no smart features but still control over ip) plus get dealer discounts

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

BiohazrD posted:

working in av consulting is cool because i have a list of all professional displays and can pick and choose what features i do want (RCA audio out) and dont want (no smart features but still control over ip) plus get dealer discounts

can you order a dumb 65" 4k oled?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

idk maybe, there's different roku versions and i know my mom has a cheaper, older one so maybe it's significantly more locked down than the "nice" ones? idk i just remember it having barely anything besides major services and angry birds for some reason.

older/cheaper rokus (the cheaper rokus often being the old hardware packaged in a newer case) are too slow or missing codec support to handle all the services the newer/more expensive rokus do. so they only get access to a limited subset of the choices.

if you really wanted to, you can force in access with some weird hack poo poo, since some of the channels do actually work even though Roku themselves won't support them on the older/cheaper device. but that's a bunch of hassle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

older/cheaper rokus (the cheaper rokus often being the old hardware packaged in a newer case) are too slow or missing codec support to handle all the services the newer/more expensive rokus do. so they only get access to a limited subset of the choices.

if you really wanted to, you can force in access with some weird hack poo poo, since some of the channels do actually work even though Roku themselves won't support them on the older/cheaper device. but that's a bunch of hassle

ah ok. it has the netflix and the hulus and the hbo so it does the things my mom needs it to do and nothing more and that is good and more products need to be like that :colbert:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I just use a chromecast :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

over in the BWM thread a former Steadfast employee is saying he knows the mods to have access to credit card data, presumably because the staff there look at tenant data? it's hard to figure out who is least credible

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PCjr sidecar posted:

you overpaid

I used it until I bought my c2d E6600 in like 2006.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

over in the BWM thread a former Steadfast employee is saying he knows the mods to have access to credit card data, presumably because the staff there look at tenant data? it's hard to figure out who is least credible

he's in this thread too friend, on this very page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

chomecast

• Locked thread