Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ma vie de Courgette...was that My Life as a Zucchini? What even was that movie?

Incredibly charming is what it was. It's this year's (well, last year's technically) Shaun the Sheep Movie.

Surprisingly low on actual zucchinis, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Finally made it through this thread. Screw you guys for making a new one while I was in Disney World.

Also, new Cartoons 101 drops today. It's about Goofy.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I finally got around to watching Kung Fu Panda 3. I'm not sure what the consensus is on it was but I was kind of dissapointed by the plot and the animation seemed a huge step down from the really elaborate fight choreography of the first two. But on the plus side the focus on po's two dads was cute, and bonus oogway was very welcome.

I also got roped into seeing Sing, it was what I expected it to be, but I was surprised that the reaction by the kids in the audience seemed so unenthusiastic. The only laughter was to the fart joke. The real reaction was to the five seconds of minions in the trailer to Despicable Me 3. Kids were screaming in ecstasy, doing flips, one kid does a victory lap of the cinema. They really love those things hey.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Moon Atari posted:

I finally got around to watching Kung Fu Panda 3. I'm not sure what the consensus is on it was but I was kind of dissapointed by the plot and the animation seemed a huge step down from the really elaborate fight choreography of the first two. But on the plus side the focus on po's two dads was cute, and bonus oogway was very welcome.

I also got roped into seeing Sing, it was what I expected it to be, but I was surprised that the reaction by the kids in the audience seemed so unenthusiastic. The only laughter was to the fart joke. The real reaction was to the five seconds of minions in the trailer to Despicable Me 3. Kids were screaming in ecstasy, doing flips, one kid does a victory lap of the cinema. They really love those things hey.

The Shrek/Space Jam-esque ironic internet nostalgia for Minions in twenty years will be amazing.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Samuel Clemens posted:

In case you were curious, the other nominees were:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
Sing

So the two actually interesting movies lost to the generic mc genericson ok disney flick, urgh.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'll be the first to defend Kubo, but it really ended up being a case of style over substance, and Zootopia had a very clean style, and a family friendly, progressive message. It's not a bad movie at all and I have no grudge over it winning the award even if I liked Kubo more, but again, I'm more willing to overlook its flaws than others.

In reality though, Kubo lost because more people who voted (and in general) saw Zootopia.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you expect 'interesting' movies to win major film awards then lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kubo is absolutely the more impressive of the two on a sheer artistic level (though I don't think Zootopia is a slouch there) but yeah, it's much weaker on a plot and theme level. That isn't bad and I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if Kubo won, but I genuinely believe Zootopia's the stronger film in everything but visuals and it isn't a bad film in terms of visuals, just hard to match Kubo's mastery.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kubo has incredible animation, but it would have been boring without it.

Zootopia has great animation backed up with an excellent screenplay that essentially would have worked as live-action without the animal embellishments.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Kubo is very strong thematically, it's just that its conclusion is necessarily provocative rather than comforting. The point is that the plucky boy hero replaces his imperfect family with 'paper dolls,' but unlike James & the Giant Peach, there's very little attempt at sublimation.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
OP is updated. Y'all let me know of any further changes and I'll try to keep on it because if the last 20 years have proved anything it's that I'm oblivious as poo poo.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Even with the credit sequence, do you think a chunk of the audience still thought Kubo was CG?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So the doll for Belle from the live-action Beauty and the Beast has been revealed, and... oh

Oh

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's like somebody painted a Nic Cage face on her head.

I don't believe that's the real picture.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's like they made an action figure of Denise Crosby's creepy sister from Pet Sematary.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moon Atari posted:

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
"We need a new Belle doll for the BatB remake, but it needs to be distinct from all previous Belle dolls."

"I have a terrible idea..."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

OWLS! posted:

So the two actually interesting movies lost to the generic mc genericson ok disney flick, urgh.

Zootopia is definitely not a generic disney movie. Like, Moana I would give to you but Zootopia is much closer to Lilo and Stitch or Emperor's New Groove than Frozen or Moana.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It looks like a puppet from a Team America sequel.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Its fucken bad but it's not the worst action figure of all time

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just watched that video before I saw you'd posted it in here. Funnily enough, Belle there suffers from an opposite problem that Aunt May there does; her head's clearly too big, compared to May's undersized head.

Though both have foreheads that are way too large, and both look kind of like men to some people (I've seen Nicholas Cage comparisons around Twitter for Belle, and Aunt May makes me think of Willem Dafoe, hilariously enough).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

Kubo is very strong thematically, it's just that its conclusion is necessarily provocative rather than comforting. The point is that the plucky boy hero replaces his imperfect family with 'paper dolls,' but unlike James & the Giant Peach, there's very little attempt at sublimation.

Too bad the rest of the film feels so kludged together.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shadow Hog posted:

So the doll for Belle from the live-action Beauty and the Beast has been revealed, and... oh

Oh

That doll is about on par with how the new Beauty and the Beast looks

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Came back from the cinema showing of Mononoke, was good.

I wasn't expecting that music video before it though, that was really cool to see. I'd never seen any of Ghibli's shorts before.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Koramei posted:

Came back from the cinema showing of Mononoke, was good.

I wasn't expecting that music video before it though, that was really cool to see. I'd never seen any of Ghibli's shorts before.

gently caress they showed a short? What was it? I skipped it because I was like "eh, dub and digital projection I can just watch my blu ray."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They showed "On Your Mark", their music video.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It was the music video Ghibli did for On Your Mark in the 90's, which is really cool

I'm mad I wasn't able to see the Mononoke showings, actually, cause it's my favorite Ghibli and I never got to see it in the big screen

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Oh ok, I've seen that a bunch of times. Would've been cool to see it in the big screen but no big deal. I thought it would be one of the ones they only show on planes or at the museum or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I keep seeing people on twitter praising Storks (like EmmyC) and I watched a bunch of clips from it and it looks like a ton of fun. Has anyone here actually seen it and can comment on it? Like the clip with the wolves making a bridge out of themselves alone is pretty amazing

edit: Oh Stork is out on DVD now? gently caress I'll just go watch it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Verdict: Storks was awesome. The animation is fast and frantic in the same way Emperor's New Groove was, so it was a ton of fun the whole time. The ending was very sweet.

The wolves were loving hilarious. The chase scene with them came close to giving the Venice chase in Penguins of Madagascar a run for its money. The wolves turning into different vehicles was hysterical.
The ending when all the babies get delivered and you see each set of parents get their babies is one of the most :unsmith: scenes in a movie I've seen in a while.
There's a part near the end that literally made me do this gesture in real life: :psyduck: because after the protagonists get chased into the baby factory, and accidentally turn the machine and cause it to overload, there's a part where the Cornerstone.com boss breaks through the side of the mountaintop building in a giant loving mech (it's not really a mech, but the machine ends up looking like one) and you get this insane shot of the thing scaling the mountain breaking into the building. You also get to see the like... power core??? of the baby machine and it looks like some ancient alien machine technology which is pretty funny.

Also something about this joke just absolutely loving destroyed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYR852OkpA

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It might be the worst Disney doll though.

How do you make something like that and think "yes, we should sell this"? They have thousands of artists working for them, surely they could have come up with a better design.

Edit: wait, poo poo, I forgot that Disney owns Marvel now. Okay it's the second worst Disney doll.

Macaluso posted:

Verdict: Storks was awesome. The animation is fast and frantic in the same way Emperor's New Groove was, so it was a ton of fun the whole time. The ending was very sweet.

The wolves were loving hilarious. The chase scene with them came close to giving the Venice chase in Penguins of Madagascar a run for its money. The wolves turning into different vehicles was hysterical.
The ending when all the babies get delivered and you see each set of parents get their babies is one of the most :unsmith: scenes in a movie I've seen in a while.
There's a part near the end that literally made me do this gesture in real life: :psyduck: because after the protagonists get chased into the baby factory, and accidentally turn the machine and cause it to overload, there's a part where the Cornerstone.com boss breaks through the side of the mountaintop building in a giant loving mech (it's not really a mech, but the machine ends up looking like one) and you get this insane shot of the thing scaling the mountain breaking into the building. You also get to see the like... power core??? of the baby machine and it looks like some ancient alien machine technology which is pretty funny.

Also something about this joke just absolutely loving destroyed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYR852OkpA

One thing I particularly liked about the baby delivering seen at the end where all the parents happily get their kids is that it featured two same sex couples (one with two men and one with two women) and a single mom. :unsmith:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 10, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Initially at the baby machine turning on at the end we thought the letters it took were just general letters like asking for amazon products. It sorta made everything a lot funnier.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Shadow Hog posted:

Oh

Wait. That's NOT a joke?! Jesus! The knock-offs will be better quality than that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It might be the worst Disney doll though.
One thing I particularly liked about the baby delivering seen at the end where all the parents happily get their kids is that it featured two same sex couples (one with two men and one with two women) and a single mom. :unsmith:

Oh poo poo, now I'm sold. I'll watch it soon. I'm always glad to find out a movie I had zero interest in turns out to be good.

(also hey, check this out there's a new Cartoons 101 that's cool it's a good show I like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeGF1qo33g What? The channel just hit 20,000 views and 700 subs? That's cool too it's a good show I like it)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Somebody asked about My Life as a Zucchini. It's really loving good. It's extremely charming. Though it's claymation like Shaun the Sheep, it's not just a feel-good film -- it goes to some pretty dark places (for a kid's film) in discussing broken families. All I could think about when watching it was how sincere, how authentic the whole project felt. It won't absolutely rock your world but it really is a real pleasure to watch.

Animation, to me, gets pretty samey these years. Don't get me wrong, I generally like the Disney and Pixar stuff (while resenting Illumination with a passion). But the same studios dominate the scene and there isn't no longer the Ghibli stuff to balance things out. If you wanna catch something different in animation, My Life as a Zucchini is one place to start.

Don't think it'll be out in the U.S. for another few weeks at least, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't think the animation field is less diverse than it was a couple of years ago, but it's true that a lot of the more unique films get no or only a limited theatrical release. This can make it hard to know they exist and even harder to actually see them, unless you routinely tour festivals or have contacts in the industry.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wait, what? Storks was actually good?

I remember the chatter in this thread being quite dire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's just that Disney is such an insanely dominant force in the movie industry that it kind of stands out.

I mean of the top 5 grossing films this year all are Disney-backed. (Captain America, Dory, Zootopia, Jungle Book and Rogue One.) That's insane.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

Wait, what? Storks was actually good?

Like Trolls, it seems a lot better due to lowered expectations. It's an inconsequential, fluffy little movie.

The only problem I had with it was, at the end, all the letters from the past 18 years or so get converted into babies and then get delivered. Which means that some people who wrote a letter asking for a baby, like, almost two decades ago suddenly find themselves with a newborn. That's got to be kind of awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Saw Princess Mononoke last night, and it was great! It'd been a long time since I saw it. Even though I remembered most of what happens, there's a lot of nuance to it that I didn't remember or may have even been too young to notice. It's much more directly political than I'd remembered. It's kinda fun how the different factions are portrayed. Lady Eboshi is seemingly compassionate and progressive, but she's still motivated by greed, so she runs into trouble with these radical environmentalist animals, and Ashitaka wants everything resolved without violence but doesn't have a good answer to make that happen, really. Then the conservatives just roll up and screw everybody over, because those guys are complete assholes. It's also more violent than I remembered, and I remembered it being pretty violent. I'm surprised it's only PG-13, but I'm guessing that was Disney's influence.

The crowd was surprisingly full, and everyone was given Hot Topic coupons. I'm glad it seemed like a successful rerelease, but it seemed like they expected an audience of mostly nerds, and they weren't wrong. It's kinda too bad, because it's a great movie and deserves a wider audience.