Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

My "traditional" wife (27) and I (28) are having some serious issues in our finances. Please read and share your insight. Looking for some helpful suggestions
This guy posted roughly the same exact thread yesterday except I think yesterday his wife was refusing to contribute to finances at all. Baby steps!
Quick followup:
Poster asked this question-

quote:

Do you currently own or rent? I think there's a lot to sort through before you would purchase a home together. Separate finances work great for some people, but I think you need to talk through some scenarios to understand how it'll work owning a home together.

1. Do you both trust that the other person is saving appropriately for any separate or joint emergency issues? Say the water heater breaks & you need to replace it immediately. Are you going to have a joint house savings that you both pay into, or would you both need to be putting aside individual savings for emergencies?

2. Do you generally agree on when improvements / repairs / purchases should be made? If you're maintaining separate savings, then the other party has the ability to refuse a project. ("I don't think we need a better stove. This one still has two burners that work fine. I'm not giving 50% for a new one, so if you want to replace it, you'll have to pay for it." OR "I'm not the one that watches cable, so I'm not splitting that bill.")

3. What happens when one of you has a personal emergency, like a car accident or a health issue? Is that party responsible for paying those bills in addition to 50% of your joint bills? Would you cover for the other person or consider it a loan?

4. What happens if she agrees to 50% but then stops paying it? Would you be able to afford the home on one salary? If she's "traditional" & you're planning to have children, will she stop working after the kids are born? Can you cover all of your expenses, her expenses & joint expenses?

5. What happens if one of you loses your job or becomes disabled? Would your wife work to cover your half?
OP-

quote:

1. Right now we live in my grandmothers home. She has a second home, so she lets us live in this home rent free. Lucky us right? The only shared expenses we have currently are utilities, which I pay all of them. We used to split them down the middle but my wife became resentful and decided that the utilities should be my responsibility only cause I'm the guy. I went ahead and assumed the responsibility of paying all utilities to keep the peace between us.

2. We have separate savings account. I have managed to accumulate more in my savings account than her. So any remodels or house improvements will be paid for by me because she can't afford to pay for any of that stuff. I have about 10k in savings, she has about 5k.

3. This is a tricky question and I don't know the answer...

4. Another tough one

5. She indicated that she would cover bills temporarily but I would need to get back on my feet asap to start contributing to the bills. I will need to contribute more than her eventually because she is "traditional" and cannot be the one paying more of the shared expenses.
:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not caught up on this thread but can I rename it to

/r/relationships: I took the baby and forgot him at Wal Mart
Yes

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hug in a Can posted:

My [25F] dogs [5F German Sheppard & 3M Rottweiler] has started to growl at my boyfriend [27M] anytime he comes near my son [4M] (Non-Romantic)

Before I even read the end I thought "The dogs know something."

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I Found a Bag of Weed in my Basement

I didn't touch any of it (I was wearing work gloves anyhow) and I put that panel back for now.

It's too late dude. You made eye contact with it. The police know. They're on their way right now to take you federal pound-you-in-the-rear end prison.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The world isn't the way it was when that stupid woman was growing up. Why wouldn't you just combine incomes and then you have an "our income" instead of a he and she income?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wish

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

please

Bonzo posted:

I don't understand why some married people have money issues. I make around 65k and my wife, 35k. All of our money goes into one account which is used to pay bills and cover daily expenses. Some of that is automatically sent to different savings accounts to use for investments/rainy days/oh-poo poo-this-happened kind of things.

If either of us wants a big ticket item we just say, "I would like to purchase X for $xxx. Do we have enough to cover that?"

As long as bills are paid, food is on the table, and we keep ourselves entertained, what else is there? We're not roommates.

"I haven't yet personally encountered any of the situations that cause money issues, therefore I don't understand why some married people have money issues"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
dogs are so loving good

i hope she bought them a huge treat

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Please

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

please

"I haven't yet personally encountered any of the situations that cause money issues, therefore I don't understand why some married people have money issues"

Actually I have but see other comments about poo poo that should be discussed before marriage.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's more that it is a people problem, not a money problem. "Traditional" women want to live without ever having to worry about money; who wouldn't?! Responsibility is hard.

My sister is like this. Her husband's income needs to rise by x amount, and when I asked her about her income rising, she said that doesn't matter.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 10, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

It's more that it is a people problem, not a money problem. "Traditional" women want to live without ever having to worry about money; who wouldn't?!

It's a planning poo poo out in advance problem, plenty of couples who aren't one half lazy gently caress run into trouble when one person badly wants to blow their pooled savings on some poo poo the other doesn't care for or abruptly loses their job and can't find a new one for an extended period. Those things are all manageable, but a whole lot moreso and with a lot less stress if they're considered and planned around in advance rather than being An Argument or one half feeling obligated to suffer in silence (until it becomes An Argument)

You're not gonna win with the person who just flat out doesn't want to contribute equally because they don't feel like it, but coulda outed that one a lot earlier by negotiating a joint payment plan for common expenses early on.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Also, regarding the goon "CPS took my kids away" story, you can find some of the images by google image searching "CPS took my kids this morning" with the quotes. The pictures/thread in general was really something else, pretty drat memorable. The guy actually did come back having fixed his poo poo and gotten the kids back, as well, so it had a happy ending. The E/N comics thread was so good as well, it had an illustrated version.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
:redflag:

Should I [33 M] tell my best friend [25 F] she shouldn't get married

quote:

My best friend has been through a lot in her life and she suffers from depression, bulimia and PTSD. She has been together with a guy [36] for the past 2 years and she confessed me that she hates being in a relationship, they almost never have sex because she can't stand physical contact. She also told me that the reason they are still together is because he helped her a lot while she was going through a really though time and he is the only boyfriend she's ever had who can stand her tantrums and outbursts.

A week ago, out of the blue, she told me that they got engaged and she invited me to their wedding that is taking place in 6 months time. I think she's doing a huge mistake but I don't know if I should talk to her about it. I just want her to be happy but I can't really see a positive thing about this wedding. What should I do?

tl;dr: best friend is marring a guy she doesn't love, should I tell her she's doing a mistake?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

If it were me I would probably say something if I thought a good friend was making a bad decision.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dude is totally carrying a torch for his lady friend.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
sigh

quote:

Me [24/F] with my boyfriend [26/M] he broke up with me, then got back together with me, but I already have a date planned with a new guy [25/M]

so I've been dating Andy for one year now, and throughout that year (and also for ~the past 7 years) I have been smoking weed all day every day. Andy does not smoke and this doesn't bother me, and it also doesn't bother him that I did smoke. I should point out that for a stoner I am extremely functional; I work out daily, graduated with honors, am persuing a masters degree, have a career, etc.

About 3-4 weeks ago I decided that weed was affecting my life in more ways than I was admitting to myself, and I decided to stop smoking cold turkey, and haven't looked back. When I quit, the first two weeks were absolute hell. I became extremely emotionally unstable, irate, and even suicidal. During this period, I lashed out at Andy and he dumped me. I was absolutely heart broken.

So after we broke up we didn't talk for a few days, and when I entered into the third week of sobriety I felt like an entirely new person. Andy reached out and asked how I was doing, and I told him that despite the break up, my overall mood and happiness has never been better. From there, he began talking to me daily again.

ALSO during his third week of sobriety, a new guy, Caleb, began talking to me and flirting with me at the gym. Like your typical long-time stoner, I was fairly lonely and really only have about one friend (she doesn't know I used to smoke; I hid it from everyone) so him talking to me felt GREAT! I loved having the attention, especially when I was feeling pretty drat lonely.

So I've been texting Caleb every day since the beginning of last week, and since last week we've been planning on going out for drinks this coming Friday. HOWEVER me and my friend [24/F] decided to go out for drinks at a bar this past Saturday night, and I posted a snapchat story of me and her posing for the camera at a popular bar, with the name of the bar being the caption. Well Andy saw the story and immediately began blowing up my phone with "I'm sorry please take me back.... Blah blah... I love you so much... I'm freaking out don't do anything with anyone" you get the picture.

Of course I still love him to death so I meet with him at a restaurant the next day, we talk things over and decide to get back together. He doesn't know anything about Caleb.

So part of me feels like maybe I should still go out with Caleb this Friday to make sure I made the right choice. Caleb is a very sweet boy and maybe it would be nice to have a fresh start... On the other hand I also want to be committed to Andy, and I would have to lie to him to go on the date. How wrong would it be for me to go out with Caleb and see how things go with no intention of kissing or anything along those lines? Should I just ghost Caleb? I realize that you can't "have your cake and eat it too" but I'm just so torn right now. I feel like I can't tell anyone the full story of what's going on, and any advice would be appreciated.

TL;DR: my boyfriend dumped me then got back together with me and I already have a date planned with another guy.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Even so, her saying she hates being touched would be a good enough reason to mention she probably doesn't want to get married right now. That is just me though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
he should do the "does anyone object to this union" dramatic interruption

and pull out his post

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

I have been trying to simulate and order for account 10489999 and it will not complete simulation. I need a total before noon submission. Please help! @Adrienne Fry

Who the gently caress acts like this when quitting weed?

E: VVV Unreliable narrator like whoa. She agreed to get married and she's an adult, she's not being held hostage.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 10, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Dude this is one of those few cases where it doesn't matter, he's also right

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pick posted:

Dude this is one of those few cases where it doesn't matter, he's also right

It's basically one of those rom-com setups where the protagonist is supposed to choose between the fiance and the best friend, but the best and most reasonable choice is to date neither because they both suck and/or she has massive issues

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

It's basically one of those rom-com setups where the protagonist is supposed to choose between the fiance and the best friend, but the best and most reasonable choice is to date neither because they both suck and/or she has massive issues

She does have massive issues, that is pretty much exactly what the OP is saying.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Worse case scenario, she's married for a year or two and then gets divorced over the sex issue. Her spouse doesn't sound abusive or anything, actually the opposite.

Maybe she'll get therapy for the sex stuff and they'll have an awesome life together. You can certainly offer your opinion, but ultimately she's an adult.

E: VVV Y'all are very quick to believe someone's perception of their relationship who is not part of that relationship.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 10, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Meridian posted:

She does have massive issues, that is pretty much exactly what the OP is saying.

Well, yes, that's my point. Whether or not the OP carries a torch for her, she should not be married to anyone until she actually wants to be in a relationship and can do so healthily.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Maybe they have an open relationship

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I do a decent job reading every post in this thread, but somehow I missed this train wreck, could someone please link me?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Well, yes, that's my point. Whether or not the OP carries a torch for her, she should not be married to anyone until she actually wants to be in a relationship and can do so healthily.

Curious about the comments on this one, seems pretty straightfoward so I imagine Reddit is saying all kinds of wrong poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Drunk Nerds posted:

I do a decent job reading every post in this thread, but somehow I missed this train wreck, could someone please link me?

This long rear end thing, I skimmed it waiting for the guy to confess the bad stuff he did but wasn't saying and it didn't disappoint:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=368#post468129668

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This long rear end thing, I skimmed it waiting for the guy to confess the bad stuff he did but wasn't saying and it didn't disappoint:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=368#post468129668

probably just standard alcoholic-in-denial father who is a bad parent and justifies all of his bad parenting choices by telling his sons they need to toughen up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Me [18F] dumped my boyfriend [19M] because he made a rude comment about a huge scar on my brothers [16M] faceBreakups
submitted 8 months ago by Samathaerd

Hi, I am just using Reddit this once, I don't really plan on using it again. I just need an outside opinion

I want to start off by saying my little brother is one of the most important people in my life. Coop (nick name) was my rock during our parents divorce, he has just been there.

I am going to be attending university but I am still going to live at home. No point living on campus when your home is 40 minutes away. So me and him get to hang out.

My brother got injured on the 4th of July 2014. I still remember we had people over for a BBQ and our dog was starting to get restless. Coop still said " Sis I am going to take Hobo (dog) for a walk, be back in 30 minutes"

10 minutes later he comes back and he is bleeding badly, his shirt was covered in blood. When he was walking the dog someone threw something out their car window and it hit him in the face. He had a cut from the left side of his mouth all the way up this his ear. I hate using this example but it looked like the way the joker cut his mouth.

So now he has this big scar on his face, running from his mouth to his ear. He hates it, we have tried anti scar cream but nothing works. He is called at school " the lil'joker of Columbus Ohio". He is called Heath ledger, he is called scar face. His girlfriend broke up with him and called him hideous because of the scar.

This scar is a big one and it is noticeable from across the room. He gets looks in public for it. I mean the drat thing that hit him, almost cut right through his cheek.

Last night my ex was over. He and I had gotten into a argument earlier in the day. He and I were still mad about it and trying to work things out. My brother came home from school a little later than me. I think he went to go see a movie or something.

My boyfriend completely out of the blue said " How was your day you hideous freak". I say out of the blue because he and my brother always got along.

I flipped out on him because of it. He claimed he was joking and I was having none of it. I broke up with him and I kicked him out of the house. He did not say it in a joking matter, he said it in a stern voice. I mean he is already self concious as it is, he wears a Hoodie to hide his face around new people. He does not need that at home either.

He actually does not like looking in mirrors either. He said to me one time " I like to pretend it's not there"

My friends today are telling me I overreacted and I should apologise to my BF. I am not getting back together with him at all.But they were telling me I need to apologise for dumping him the way I did.

Do I owe him an apology and did I overreact? because I don't think I did.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Me [24 M] with my Fiancee [24 F], I embarrassed myself by breaking down about my cat.Personal issues
submitted 9 months ago by IMissMyPet

Hi all,
I feel like a complete fool at the moment. My fiancee and I were at a wedding yesterday, and I got fairly drunk. I wasn't making an idiot out of myself and it was a wedding, so that wasn't the issue. The issue is that when we got home we ended up discussing a cat I used to have, who has been missing for some time.

To give some background, I love that cat more than I thought possible. My dad got her when I was in my early teens and if she wasn't off on an adventure she was guaranteed to be sleeping on my bed. She drove me absolutely crazy, I mean I have handfuls of stories of her shenanigans, and she was downright vicious to most people! But she never laid a paw on me, she always slept in between my legs for warmth which was the most uncomfortable thing, she even kept it up when my then girlfriend (now fiancee, yay) started staying over. Trust me when I say two people and a cat in a single bed does not make for a sound night's sleep. She was also the most stubborn cat in existence, and drove the rest of my family up the wall. But I love her, so much, and I'm pretty sure I wore her down to a point where it was pretty mutual. When I moved out of my family home a couple of years ago my dad kept her, and honestly I didn't miss family at all, I just missed my cat.

So back to the main point. After getting home yesterday my fiancee and I were in bed together, and began talking about my cat. She's been missing for over 12 months and while she always loved vanishing for days, even weeks at a time, after a year of her being gone and no trace, I finally accepted she is not going to be coming back. I think I have been in pretty firm denial over the whole thing, and it just hit me all of a sudden. I realised I'm never going to hear her characteristic meow again, never have her sit on my chest while I look up at her judgmental eyes again. I can barely remember the last thing we did together when I saw her, and I have barely any photos at all, and I was just crushingly upset as it hit me. I massively lost it and completely broke down; I'm talking full blown hideous sobbing, for a good while. I'm just glad the lights were off because I would have looked one hell of a state. I think the tiredness and the alcohol definitely made me pretty sensitive, but the only time I remember crying as hard was when a friend died far too young and far too suddenly. But my fiancee was amazing, she literally just held me until I was all cried out and told me this morning not to worry about it with all the compassion in the world.

But I feel awful. I'm embarrassed. I'm so ashamed of how pathetic I must have seemed, I'm ashamed that I'm in tears writing this now. I'm sorry that I don't have the photos and memories I wish I did with my beloved kitty, and that my partner had to look after me in such a sorry state. I'm also concerned at my complete lack of ability to deal with loss like this. Reddit, I need help. If anyone has any advice on firstly how to deal with things better, and secondly how to make it up to my fiancee, I could use some of that right now. Sorry for the ramblings, and thanks for reading. tl;dr: Got drunk, broke down about my lost childhood pet. Fiancee had to console me and I'm about ready to die of shame. How do I deal with grief better, and how do I make it up to my fiancee?

:cabot:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Now that's a woman with healthy self esteem
Scarface's sister i mean

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aww man that's just depressingly sad.

Come on, Pick, that's just a loving downer of a story, nothing fun there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Now that's a woman with healthy self esteem
Scarface's sister i mean

unlike this guy who took way too long

quote:

Girlfriend [22F] coming to visit and stay with my [20M] family. She said some really insensitive and hurtful things towards my sister [22F], although she now feels terrible and very sorry. My sister is still extremely upset however. I don't know how to handle the situation.Non-Romantic
submitted 8 months ago * by ignoranceischris

My girlfriend is 22 years old, I'm 20. We've been together informally for about a year (and we knew each other before that), and we've been in a serious official committed relationship for 10 months.

My girlfriend has never met my family, and I was planning for some time to go visit back home for 3 weeks to celebrate my sister's 22nd birthday. My girlfriend was happy about that and she suggested coming along as it would be a good opportunity to meet my family for the first time, and I thought that was a wonderful idea. I called up my parents and asked if it was okay if she came, and they said sure, they would also like to meet her and they prepared the the spare bedroom for her.

We arrived home and things were going great for the first week. They met each other, they really liked each other, things were going fantastic. We celebrated my sister's birthday, it was really amazing, and my girlfriend and sister really seemed to get along and like each other. For me, it is something incredibly special and important that they get along because they are both two important people in my life and dear to me, so it made me feel very happy and warm inside that they really liked each other.

However, after the birthday, in the next few days, I noticed things downturned. My girlfriend became a bit more cold towards my sister, not as pleasant. She said something really mean to her when we went out one day. My sister suggested to my girlfriend that we go swimming at the beach, she said the weather was really nice and my girlfriend would love the beach. My girlfriend had also brought her bathers and she was more than happy to go. We went, the three of us, and we were having fun, until my girlfriend said something really insensitive and hurtful. We were sitting in the sand after swimming about and just relaxing, and my girlfriend noticed my sister had all these old scars. My sister used to have really bad depression, and still gets depression sometimes though not as bad. When she was at the height of her major depression, she used to purge and self-harm quite frequently. The scars are all around her thigh area, and she is extremely sensitive and embarrassed about them, she worries people will think she's a freak if people see them, even though my parents and I always try to reassure her about them. Since they are high up on her thigh areas, you normally can't see them at all when she wears normal clothing, but since we were out at the beach and she was wearing a bikini, they were now clearly visible.

My girlfriend noticed the scars, and pointed and said "what are those?" My sister just responded very matter of factly "those are scars from when I used to self harm". My girlfriend said "why on earth would you do that?" I piped in and pointed out that she went through a really difficult period a while back and had depression, but she feels much better nowadays and we're all thankful we were able to get past that period as a family. My girlfriend said "its a stupid thing to do, why would you harm yourself? I think girls who do that just do it for attention." My sister told her she has no idea what she's talking about and she has no idea what its like to live and wake up every day hating yourself and wanting to hurt yourself, but my girlfriend maintained she just thought it was a form of attention seeking, and she was like "I'm so glad I don't have scars like that". My sister just replied "well good for you", and she was incredibly upset at this point and got up and stormed away down the beach to sit somewhere else far away.

I asked my girlfriend what's gotten into her and why she was saying that stuff? She insisted she wasn't trying to be mean but my sister was too sensitive and took it the wrong way. I told her she was being incredibly stupid and she should really think about what she says, especially if she knows the person has a history of depression, because some words can be really hurtful. I got up and left her and went to sit by my sister, leaving my girlfriend alone by herself. My sister wasn't in the mood for talking about what had just happened, so instead we talked about some other stuff and shared some jokes. My sister then started talking about my girlfriend and said "you sure know how to pick them, huh?" I told her I had no idea what had gotten over her, and she's normally so very nice, and she was being nice to her all these past days, I don't know why suddenly she was acting like this. Maybe there was something she was hiding or something she wasn't telling me. I was sure eventually she'll realise why what she said was hurtful and apologise.

When we got back home, I had a really private conversation with my girlfriend. I explained to her why what she said was hurtful to my sister, because my sister was in fact going through a really difficult emotional period when she did those cuts, and to imply it was all for attention was incredibly dismissive of the real emotions she was feeling at the time. I told her my sister had every right to be upset with what she said, and I think a much-deserved apology would go along way in mending fences. My girlfriend agreed and she went and apologised to my sister with what sounded like a really sincere and heartfelt apology, my sister accepted it and said that she herself had overreacted and that girlfriend shouldn't feel bad. I was glad but unfortunately that was not the end of it, though I wanted it to be.

Next day we were at a restaurant having lunch. It was really busy and they were late for the food, and when they brought the food to our table, they had brought the wrong thing for my sister and not what she had ordered. My sister wanted to tell them so that she could get the meal she ordered, but my girlfriend kept telling her to just go with it and eat what she got. My sister said no, she ordered something, she should be able to eat that, she didn't want to eat the other thing, and my girlfriend said it would just make them take even longer and they'd be there for longer. They got into an argument, and my sister was telling her its none of her business. Then my girlfriend snapped at her and said "why do you always have to be the centre of everything? Why does it always have to be about you?" My sister got upset and asked her why she was being so mean, she didn't know why she hated her, she had really tried to be nice to her and like her, but she felt like she was just being mean to her for no reason. My girlfriend responded that she thinks me sister is entitled and self-absorbed and narcissistic. My sister then looked like she was about to cry and tears came in her eyes, and my girlfriend just said "I don't give a gently caress if you cry, what are you gonna do go cut yourself?" My sister then burst out crying loudly in the middle of the restaurant. It was very awkward, there were many people around us and they were all looking at us. She was very, very hurt and she was crying over my shoulder, I put my arms around her and comforted her and told my girlfriend I was very upset with her and I think she should leave us alone for a while. My girlfriend got up and left and said "make sure drama queen doesn't hang herself or slice her wrists open." I stayed with my sister and calmed her down until she stopped crying, she must have kept crying for at least half an hour, it was that bad. We didn't even end up eating much of our meal that we paid for, and I took her to the bathroom to dry up and wash her face.
She kept saying to me "why does she hate me so much? what have I done to her? Am I really that bad?" I calmed her down and hugged her and told her there was nothing wrong with her, she's done nothing wrong, but I need to have a serious talk with her today, I can't believe at all why she's acting like this. If she had a problem with me, she should take it out with me, not on my sister. She was still sorrowful but we went home after that, and I went to talk with my girlfriend.
I sat my girlfriend down in my room and we had a big talk. Instantly, she said "I know, I know, I am so sorry, I am really sorry I don't know what's come over me." She seemed to know she was acting so cruel and she admitted it and said she felt terrible, she had no idea why. I told her I know she's normally such a kind person, why had she turned all of a sudden, into... well, a bitch? She said she agreed and she deserved that word entirely. She told me she thinks she knew the reason. She told me lately she's been feeling extremely jealous of seeing me around my sister and the close bond she's realised that I have with her. She said she feels very hurt and envious because we don't have that ourselves. She said "you two grew up together and you have all these years of memories and experiences together and have always been a part of each other's lives, I wish we had that." I told her we will have that, but she shouldn't compare herself to my sister, they are two entirely different things. I told her however she felt with the way I was acting, she had no right to take that out on my sister, that was incredibly immature and hurtful. She agreed and said she felt absolutely poo poo about herself.

She told me one thing that had really set her off was when I gave my sister my present to her on her birthday. I'd bought her a hardcover edition of "anne of green gables" her favourite and most beloved book from her childhood and I'd written a special note inside. My girlfriend said she remembers how much that made my sister feel happy and ecstatic when I gave it to her, and she had cried and felt so happy, not because of the book itself but because I remembered its sentimental value and how much she had loved that book from her childhood, even though she probably didn't mention it or ask for it. My girlfriend compared that to the gift I'd gotten her for her birthday, a jewellery item, which while much more expensive, was generic and probably didn't have as much thought put into it since every guy can guess a woman would appreciate jewellery. I told her I had no idea she felt that way, but I'm sure our relationship if we give it time can eventually grow much more so we can learn those little things about each others and we can make new memories to share.

I told her however the way she was acting to my sister was more than anything jeopardising our relationship and I can't be in any relationship with someone who treats her that meanly, its out of the question. I said she has to keep in mind that my sister does in fact have a very bad history of depression, and she still falls back into it from time to time. She may be more sensitive than most people and her emotions may be more delicate, but that's just something we have to take into consideration when around her. My girlfriend said she perfectly agreed and she will try to control herself and act much better around my sister, and give her a heartfelt apology. I told her I hope for both of us she was being honest and she really will turn around her behaviour towards my sister; I said she was being really nice and friendly to her when she first came and if she can be like that again, it would be perfect.
I went to talk to my sister, but she was absolutely in no mood to talk to my girlfriend. She was still upset from earlier, and did not want to hear another apology, she thought it would be meaningless. I told her that she really does feel terrible and she would like to make it up to her. My sister told me I have no idea how much my girlfriend hurt her with these words and by expecting her to forgive her just like that, I was really hurting her. I told her I understand that so much, and I apologise, and I am ready to give her all the time she needs. Even if she doesn't forgive her, I am okay with that and will accept that. My sister told me she wishes I'd never come back for her birthday and that I'd never brought my girlfriend with me, she said she was happier when she was just alone with our parents, me stomping back into her life with my new gf just turned everything upside down for her, and on her birthday too.

I told her I still have 2 weeks here, and if she really likes, I can send my girlfriend back on her own so I can spend the 2 weeks I have here just us. My sister said no, she didn't want me to do that to my girlfriend. I suggested we go to the beach again some time, my sister said absolutely not. She swore she's never going to the beach again. I asked her why? And she just said "because of my scars" and burst out crying again. It was awful to see, just the mere mention of it set her off like that and made the tears flow out. I told her she had nothing to be ashamed of because of those scars, she went through a very difficult period and she's an amazing person and we're all proud of her, she just said "I'm a freak, why did I even cut myself." I told her she doesn't need to try to hide them, anyone who would judge her for those scars isn't worth her time. Nevertheless she said she didn't want to ever be in a situation where someone could see her scars again.

The next day I went shopping with my girlfriend, we were picking out some swim shorts for my sister, I thought maybe if she wore shorts instead of the bikini bottoms with her bikini, then she could hide the scars and she wouldn't have to be afraid of people seeing them. My girlfriend though it was a wonderful idea. We bought a variety of different pairs cause we didn't know which my sister would like, and we took them home and my sister was very happy with them.

However, she is still feeling very upset, and still seems to harbour some dislike and anxiety towards my girlfriend because of the things she did. I've been considering asking my girlfriend to go back maybe so that I can spend my remaining 2 weeks at home with my family, since my sister seems less willing to do things if she's around, since she's still feeling extremely self-conscious about what she said. I'm worried if now every time she sees my girlfriend she'll remember those horrible comments and feel self-hatred over the scars again, which probably means I might not ever be able to have a relationship with my girlfriend. I really don't know what to do.
So my question to you guys is, how best do you think I should handle this very complicated and delicate situation? Should I send my girlfriend back home or should I keep her here and try further to mend fences between them? Is there anything I can do to make them like each other more or should I just accept the fact that there will always be a rift between them and try to keep them apart? How can I help my sister feel better in this situation where she's still feeling upset and like poo poo? Basically, what should I do and what do you think would be in the interests of everyone involved for me to do?

tldr: My girlfriend is coming to stay with my family for a few weeks while we celebrate my sisters birthday. She said some very insensitive things to my sister regarding the scars she had from when she had depression and self-harmed, driving my sister to feel extremely sad and self-conscious. She's apologised but there's still a massive rift between them. How should I handle this situation to help my sister feel better and to mend the rift? Should I send my girlfriend back home and stay the remaining two weeks just me here, or should I keep her here? What should I do?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

If drunk crying over cats is wrong I don't want to be right.

In all seriousness I can't detect a problem here except his feelings of shame about feeling an emotion because men aren't supposed to love small fuzzy things, which is sad but not a relationship problem.

Cherish that fiancee, guy.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Scar sister: No, no you did not overreact.

Teens should really stop listening to their friends about relationships. "I know he stabbed me and set my car on fire, but my friends say he's sad and I overreacted. Should I take him back? He's outside my window in the bushes right now, so I could just pop out and tell him how sorry I am."

ETA: First scar sister. I felt very badly for the second scar sister and want to thump both the brother and the girlfriend.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 10, 2017

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
It's kinda funny how people who break down over cats are always seen as way more unreasonable/weird than someone who breaks down over a dog :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

If drunk crying over cats is wrong I don't want to be right.

In all seriousness I can't detect a problem here except his feelings of shame about feeling an emotion because men aren't supposed to love small fuzzy things, which is sad but not a relationship problem.

There's nothing wrong, I just find it interesting and sad that a guy thinks he should be ashamed of crying over a cat. I cry about my cat all the time and my cat is fine, I just love him so much :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Pick posted:

Do I owe him an apology and did I overreact? because I don't think I did.

gently caress no lady, also break up with your retarded friends telling you to apologise to him god drat