Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I have no artistic talent so take these comments for the uninformed and useless bystander speak that they are, but I think Gary PAAARPman would look better on the guy in the red sweater, leaving Zurovec as a perfect template for Pissed Off Sandi Side Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

scope_creep.png

It would have been crazy NOT to expand the game to include planets. Space wasn't enough!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Just needs a feather, a box of donuts, and Ben crashing through the wall.

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015

Chin posted:

drat, yeah should've done that. I got caught up trying to explain levels of detail and facades like a dummy.

Unfortunately this was awhile ago. Would've been interested to see their response.
That's probably accurate.

That reminds me of six year old me and my brother, we spend hours trying to find a gap between spectators and buildings to escape the track in some obscure early 90s racing sim, thinking that if we only made it past the railings we could explore the whole city of Monaco. Those pixely Mountains in the background, surely great vistas would await those who made it up there. Boggles my mind that there are adults that combine this kind of technical illiteracy with disposable income...

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

What are the odds Chris & co. can continue to string along the backers for another three years and $130M, then actually release a decent game (albeit very different from that which was originally conceived)?

What would it take for them to actually pull it off at this stage, as impossible as that seems? I just can't wrap my head around why somebody would think it can be done.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

chochmah posted:

That reminds me of six year old me and my brother, we spend hours trying to find a gap between spectators and buildings to escape the track in some obscure early 90s racing sim, thinking that if we only made it past the railings we could explore the whole city of Monaco. Those pixely Mountains in the background, surely great vistas would await those who made it up there. Boggles my mind that there are adults that combine this kind of technical illiteracy with disposable income...

I used to think the same thing. I spent many a quarter trying to go off the raceway in Pole Position back in the arcade days. "I bet nobody's thought of this! I can go check out those mountains!" I used to think the same poo poo when hiking through the woods between subdivisions. "I'm gonna discover poo poo! Nobody thought to walk through these woods!" In my kid mind, I may have well have been the first person on an uncharted island. Meanwhile the local construction company was just planning to bulldoze the whole loving thing to make more plywood cities.

Imagine reaching your 30s, 40s, and beyond, and having money to spare on poo poo like this, but you still haven't evolved the part of your brain that lets you see how poo poo really works. It's mind-boggling.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

BeefThief posted:

What are the odds Chris & co. can continue to string along the backers for another three years and $130M, then actually release a decent game (albeit very different from that which was originally conceived)?

What would it take for them to actually pull it off at this stage, as impossible as that seems? I just can't wrap my head around why somebody would think it can be done.

Of course the challenge is inherent in how powerful the sunk cost fallacy is, vs. the power of the DREAMS.

Because fact is, IF something comes out, it will not even come close to what was promised and imagined. So backers are gonna be in a tough spot. Will they pull a Reverse-Sour-Grapes "This is what I wanted all along!" just because they're elated ANYTHING AT ALL came out, or will they riot because it's not even a glimmer of what was promised and sold to them?

They're gonna have cognitive dissonance for sure, but I'm wondering which defective neural function will prove dominant.

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015

BeefThief posted:

They survived every community meltdown so far so here it goes...

Blueprint:

2017 Release some glitchy version of 3.0
2018 Release SQ42 Episode 1, the MVP is 20 space-maps with arena-commander style battles (like in Wing Commander) and some scripted story missions on limited spaceship and Planetside maps.
2019 We are really close you guys. Offer plots on the planets and player housing (Orgs can buy themselves some version of Darth Vaders lava Castle)
2020 Star Citizen!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The best part about the conclusion of the Star Citizen saga is never having to see Sandi's face again for the rest of my life.

That's probably going to be Chris Roberts' favorite part, too.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Why there is no dancing cat playing sc at the empty keyboard ?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Put the guy with the baseball bat and the drill guy from the stream tournament video in the room, too.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
gently caress

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 10, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

What an ever-evolving masterpiece, if only Lazrin and Marching Powder were here to share this with us

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Zzr posted:

Why there is no dancing cat playing sc at the empty keyboard ?
I tried to put :pgabz: frames as a pattern along the guy's sweater but could not get it to read well.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Needs C-PAP dude.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e;f;b

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo, a fork in the jpegchain. You should have included a larger fee.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/818647216252481540
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/818798717000097792

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Now we dun goofing. Lowtax better get Leonard on the line.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Lovely
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5n5h06/is_everyone_else_cool_with_losing_the_two_qa/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Of course the challenge is inherent in how powerful the sunk cost fallacy is, vs. the power of the DREAMS.

There's a steady movement away from the novel when the novel becomes mundane, and I think we've started to see the tipping point in people hearing about the delays. It's not the first time they hear it, that's just Derek. Not even the second time, that's just haters.

But after a while, it becomes the only thing worth talking about because they don't show actual progress; at least not measurable progress. Remember that we're still looking at demos and releases that don't build on each other, they're frequently _entirely different_ and remove functionality as well as adding it. People who aren't following their SUPER TRANSPARENT DEVELOPMENT MODEL are checking in once a year to see if it's done.

Then they're googling.

Ob. 'super creepy' comment.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Now we dun goofing. Lowtax better get Leonard on the line.

TWITTER COURT

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

#incarcerateDerekSmartandLowtax has got to be the funniest thing I've seen all year.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

#incarcerateDerekSmartandLowtax has got to be the funniest thing I've seen all year.

Hashtags are stupid, but I like that one.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

Beet Wagon posted:

Tag team match. Lowtax/Derek vs. Chris/Erin

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Derek Smart: now complicit in act

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Can we have the Sandi poster on the right looking at a 3000 AD poster on the left?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

NovaDose posted:

Also, there will be a lot of data to parse to verify a cheat or not. Data about how people play etc is already being aggregated to help with development. So if they are looking at a player who consistently wins, never dies, and somehow managed to kill someone on the other side of the play area its going to be obvious. I doubt very seriously they are going to ban someone whose simply a good player. A good player and a cheater are going to look completely different on paper.

:psypop:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's like knowing what a terrorist looks like. When you see one, you'll know.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, that must be why they're ending the segment. :haw:

CIG why you pay Wulf and you no pay me? :byodood:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Furry Hunter posted:

Tag team match. Lowtax/Derek vs. Chris/Erin

I'd pay $140 million to watch that. Derek seems pretty scrappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Hey! They are doing things that have never been done before. This anti-cheat system is just another notch in their wide belts.