Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
dvno was done by these guys - http://www.machinemolle.com/
they have great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mutata posted:

You should look up the music video for DVNO by Justice.

I love this kind of video, did they do the one for Technicolor Dreaming as well?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

If there's someone around with Blender experience, I'm trying to figure out why I keep running into the problem below. This is one example of it, but I've had this issue for a while and I'm sure it's just me doing something dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XcFeCF_if0

Edit: I've been informed that the spring modifier wouldn't export to Unity anyways, which makes a lot of sense. That said, I would still like to understand why it's showing this behavior, because it definitely happens at times it would export to Unity.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 6, 2017

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Hey ZBrush wizards - how would I go about spiral cutting a 3D model like this for printing?

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140216-coolest-3d-printed-skull-that-stretches-like-a-slinky.html

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JohnnySmitch posted:

Hey ZBrush wizards - how would I go about spiral cutting a 3D model like this for printing?

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140216-coolest-3d-printed-skull-that-stretches-like-a-slinky.html

My initial reaction would be to not use zbrush for that kind of slicing
Find an app that deals well with booleans

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hey, did you know the Unreal Engine mannequin skeleton's pelvis joint is rotated 90 degrees clockwise? You do now!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 6, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

My initial reaction would be to not use zbrush for that kind of slicing
Find an app that deals well with booleans

Yeah I can't imagine how you would do that with sculpting techniques with any kind of precision, but a boolean subtract with a sweep spiral would probably be fine.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Perhaps MeshMixer? http://www.mmmanual.com/boolean/

I'm not an expert at MeshMixer but for what I've done with it recently I've enjoyed it (hollowing things and random poo poo for 3D printing).

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

workin on a spaceship for that no mans sky fanart i posted earlier

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everythings a bit blunt, giving it an injection molded plastic toy look.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
I had a stupid question that I answered myself. So I will just fill this with a WIP from my "loss.jpg" parody:

Doredrin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Okay!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I love a good T pose.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Hello, thread. I need help.

I've been learning 3ds Max to do some 3d printing and it has been going well, but I keep running into situations that I can't effectively solve. This is one of them.

I am making a jump kit from Titanfall - the waist-mounted jetpack.

This is the start to my setup:

Now, there's a panel line or something on the model I'm struggling to figure out how to recreate, highlighted here in green:

Best I have been able to figure is to take the base thruster cylinder, copy it, enlarge it, and then boolean imprint it onto the main body canister of the thruster...

Which, at first glance, seems to work okay.

Problem is, there's so many spare verticies that the geometry just goes completely to hell.

Any further operations I would want to do to that new line (chamfering, whatever) turn into a total shitshow.

Is there a better way to go about doing this?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
A quick and dirty way would be to cut/knife a curve in the big cylinder, pretty much making one vertex per edge and connecting them in a similar cut as the Boolean. You might need to add edge loops to the big cylinder to keep the curve smooth though, but that way you're not ending up with poor or unnecessary topology.

I'm sure there's a more efficient/more accurate way that someone will suggest, but I'm a fan of the finer control/predictable results that doing it manually will give.

If you did want to use Booleans though, you could make sure the edges line up between the two meshes, and manually merge any vertices that are out of alignment after doing the bool, but that often turns into more work than doing it from scratch.

E: my method would probably end up with some ngons if you don't add edge rings though, looking at where the curve terminates. That's easy enough, and if ngons don't matter for printing you probably don't need to worry about it.

Also I haven't really messed with max in a while, but it looks like this could be done with the swift loop tool, in edge mode under edit.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 10, 2017

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I guess I could use the boolean I've got there, cut only between the verticies that intersect the canister cylinder, and get rid of the excess?

Edit: That seems to be working okay, though I'm not sure how to add more loops around the edges of that for when I meshsmooth the thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's the problem with booleans, they wreck edge loops. If you're not going to 3d print it's okay to leave it unwelded, you can instead extrude the loop at the base of the jet cylinder or whatever.

E: if you do want it to be welded eventually, just do whatever you have to do to get the correct shape and don't worry about the little shading pinches etc, and just retopology the final shape. With vertex snapping and whatever polygon creation tools Max has it wouldn't be a big deal.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 10, 2017

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Flesh Forge posted:

That's the problem with booleans, they wreck edge loops. If you're not going to 3d print it's okay to leave it unwelded, you can instead extrude the loop at the base of the jet cylinder or whatever.

E: if you do want it to be welded eventually, just do whatever you have to do to get the correct shape and don't worry about the little shading pinches etc, and just retopology the final shape. With vertex snapping and whatever polygon creation tools Max has it wouldn't be a big deal.

This is probably because I'm still a novice, but I don't know that I understand this part of what you've just said. Can you elaborate?
E: Nevermind, started watching a 90 minute video on this. Goddamn this is a rabbit-hole.

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 10, 2017

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Hah yeah, retopo is one of those skills that can become indispensable, but is overwhelming as hell going in.

It kinda comes down to how you want to approach a project; do you want to ignore topology and make the mesh look good, and then rebuild it with proper topo? Or would you rather spend more time up front planning, editing and tweaking the mesh to have the desired topology?

It may not be the easiest solution for your mesh, at least until you figure out a retopo workflow that you like (there are a billion ways to approach it, and some might be easier than others for you). But, it's not like you're jumping in and trying to retopo a head right off the bat, so this could be a good mesh to get your feet wet.

E: for more experienced modelers, how often do you find yourself retopoing? Maybe it's just because I don't have a ton of experience with it, but I generally reserve it for fixing other people's meshes or when I absolutely can't get what I'd like with my base mesh. I primarily just take more time up front when I'm building the mesh, but I also don't do much organic work - if anything, I'm usually modeling set/env/prop stuff, which won't be animated and doesn't need perfect loops.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 10, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Harvey Baldman posted:

This is probably because I'm still a novice, but I don't know that I understand this part of what you've just said. Can you elaborate?
E: Nevermind, started watching a 90 minute video on this. Goddamn this is a rabbit-hole.

This is a perfect topic to learn with because it's a very straightforward shape, so if I were you I'd keep going. It may be scary at first but drawing new mesh over an existing shape and getting the new mesh to look good is way easier than doing it all with traditional extrusion modeling techniques - as long as you have the requirement of "it has to be welded together when done", if it's OK to have disconnected/unwelded parts then you don't need to worry about this unless you just want to learn it (and imo you should learn it).

The Gasmask posted:

E: for more experienced modelers, how often do you find yourself retopoing? Maybe it's just because I don't have a ton of experience with it, but I generally reserve it for fixing other people's meshes or when I absolutely can't get what I'd like with my base mesh. I primarily just take more time up front when I'm building the mesh, but I also don't do much organic work - if anything, I'm usually modeling set/env/prop stuff, which won't be animated and doesn't need perfect loops.

Sculpt -> Retopology is pretty much the standard now for organic modeling tasks, especially with sculpting because you can skip a whole bunch of work. If you're modeling something like this jetpack, you probably don't want to start with the sculpting tools, but if poly count matters very much then it still makes sense to rough that kind of thing out with primitives and not give a poo poo about topology to get the shape and proportions you want, and then remesh that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Retopologizing is a standard workflow step in games. It's how you get the in-game geometry from a high res sculpt.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So here's a question:

How do you pro guys who move countries all the time for work deal with saving for retirement/contributing to retirement in your home countries? It's nice to be young and to be a freelancer who bounces from state to state or country to country as the jobs present themselves, but how do you handle your money? I'm thinking of writing an e-book called "Financial Strategies for Animators" that goes over how to deal with actually existing financially as an animator. Most of the people I work with seem to be living paycheck to paycheck, contributing nothing towards a savings account, and don't have an emergency fund. Most are still paying back school debts, and many directors joke about how they're going to die under a bridge in a decade or so. These are nice people and I don't want that to happen, so I think the industry could really use some sound financial sense.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm doing OK and I've been very lucky re school debts and ok lucky re jobs. My wife and I have a monthly budget we stick to and we are comfortable with having empty unfurnished rooms in our house and driving 17 year old cars. All that said you 100% need to write that book.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah. I realized it was probably necessary when I saw how many young people are going into 200k debts in America or 40k debts in Canada (which they still consider huge and stress out a ton over) and then getting cars and credit cards and going into more debt and only making minimum payments, etc. I work with a guy in his 50s who has no retirements savings, and another guys in his 60s who thinks he can retire because he has a 20k pension from a job he took years ago. I'm like "WHAT?"

This is all tragic but the worst bit is the people who have kids and don't realize what they're doing to their children by having those debts. One guy who is married to a teacher might be okay because she'll get a pension. But his kid will still face a lot of hardship.

Anyway I just live in an apartment with no car and save as much as possible while I make a measly 35k a year. But somehow in 2 years I managed to save 30k. Most of the people I work with have none of that discipline, but I've also been really lucky. Scholarships and other savings from previous situations, as well as help from family for education. I expected I'd also run into a lot of people in the industry who had their parents pay for everything, but actually it seems most animators just went into horrific debt to get here, and are now seemingly hosed.

So yeah, a book might change that. Or at least convince people to take another career lol

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I don't think that's exclusive to CG - it's a generational thing & an attitude to life. Maybe people in CG hit it sooner but I dont know many people in NYC or london who dont live paycheck to paycheck carrying a ton of CC debt, stacked up by going on 2+ vacations a year, getting brand new leases and buying tons of poo poo. I know a guy struggling to pay rent who constantly complains about money who has a $1800 TV in his studio apartment.
My parents came from super poor backgrounds themselves so I was lucky enough to get it drilled into me from a very young age that the only debt I should ever carry is a mortgage and to never buy things I dont need.

Making 35k or 80k isnt going to make a difference to those people, they'll just start leasing maserati's instead of bmw's. They've had it drilled into them through peers and media that everything is going to work out ok and they dont need to worry about anything but enjoying themselves.

I had a very long conversation with someone about this recently, about how spending habits are largely down to parenting styles of the previous generation and run in cycles. These peoples kids will grow up broke, their kids will do better, that second generation' kids will not see any reason why their kids should want for anything and then theirs will grow up irresponsible and not knowing the value of money ready to gently caress up the next lot.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2017

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Financial responsibility is not taught very well in America, I think. I'm 31 and while I've always thought I was on top of things, I don't think I actually had a handle on anything until I was 28ish and bought my first house. That's when I realized that I really did need to stay on top of this,... I was fairly lucky though to have my dad learn the hard way about credit and then teach me about it in my teen years. Most of my peers didn't know anything about credit until college, and even then they didn't truly know.

You might broaden that title to all freelancers and creatives, might as well help everyone out and broaden your audience and therefore sales.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

RizieN posted:

You might broaden that title to all freelancers and creatives, might as well help everyone out and broaden your audience and therefore sales.

yeah, I guess this is the point I should have made. A financial responsibility book for creative types is what you need to do.
If it's well researched and in depth, covering all the basics about spending/saving habits, 401ks, mortgages, debt etc, but also including issues you face as freelancer/contractor once you start work, all the way down to a brief overview of how business loans and employing people works (not to tell people how to do it, just so they are aware how big it is) then it could have a massive audience.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 11, 2017

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I agree completely, and I would also add a section for those who are in high school, to get a small limit credit card and start building credit, but you know- make sure they pay it off monthly to avoid the interest! The building credit thing is a double edged sword because if you're irresponsible you can get into debt quickly, but you have to build credit to get those mortgages and loans.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I think the audience with which you'd have the most broad impact is high schoolers and college students who haven't made the big mistakes yet and people who have made so many mistakes that they're finally ready for re-education. Say what you will about Dave Ramsy, but he's built an empire by assisting those demographics broadly, especially with a system to help people dig themselves out, so I'm sure there's a smaller audience of just creatives who are trying to figure out how to pay bills with art. You're not gonna reach many of the people who are "living the dream" in New York City or whatever, but you can be there for them when they have to move back in with their parents in 5 years and then they'll recommend your book to their little brother/sister who's still in high school.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

mutata posted:

Yeah, I think the audience with which you'd have the most broad impact is high schoolers and college students who haven't made the big mistakes yet and people who have made so many mistakes that they're finally ready for re-education. Say what you will about Dave Ramsy, but he's built an empire by assisting those demographics broadly, especially with a system to help people dig themselves out, so I'm sure there's a smaller audience of just creatives who are trying to figure out how to pay bills with art. You're not gonna reach many of the people who are "living the dream" in New York City or whatever, but you can be there for them when they have to move back in with their parents in 5 years and then they'll recommend your book to their little brother/sister who's still in high school.

If you ignore the religion Dave Ramsy has some great advice! My dad bought me the Financial Peace University thing and it's pretty good.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I see the financial drama a lot, and I definitely think there needs to be a big push towards responsibility (and an industry-specific guide is a great way, considering the age distribution and how many young people really get screwed/screw themselves over).

I'm bad with money so I made the call early on to never have debt, and while it's been nice to have never experienced the fear of collapsing under the weight of it all, I would've liked to experience a 4 year college, would've liked to travel more, could've gotten in this industry a decade earlier, etc. It's a trade-off, and a path I'm not sure I would recommend - sure, owing money sucks, but there are some life experiences that you might not be able to have otherwise. Like a lot of things, you can find a middle ground that works, and it's likely better than either extreme.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Listerine posted:

There's actually a ton of eye-tracking data sitting around in neuropsychology labs if people wanted to get the minute eye movements correct to life regarding face scanning, object scanning, background vs foreground scanning, etc. But what I think may be lacking is the reactions to objects in the depth of the scene- all the tracking data I know of has the subject in a fixed position and the changes in the visual field occurring in the same plane equidistant from the viewer.

I don't know of anyone that's looked at changes in ocular movement as a function of distance from the viewer, which I could see being an important variable- we'd more likely be apt to respond to something occurring in the immediate environment vs. something far off- but to be fair I've also never gone looking for studies like that myself.

Perhaps this is where Google Glass could've been helpful. Imagine tracking eye movement all day long on the go while simultaneously analyzing what is being looked at, those crazy wizards at Google hq could make a few databases / algorithms for the good of the resurrected CGI character industry.

Hideous
Jul 28, 2015

I needed some Zbrush practice so I made a beat up wooden lantern. Obligatory Artstation link with more pics and a realtime viewer..

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah. The industry I work in is basically just treated like a make-work program for underprivileged people in a place that's very financially hard done by. It's supposed to be a talent based industry, but various government financial mechanisms are interfering with that. And it's killing the company because they really don't understand that their clients expect quality.

I had so many goddamn privileges in life and still have a lot of privileges facing me. But I'd like to give back a little to help people not have such lovely lives.

quote:

Making 35k or 80k isnt going to make a difference to those people, they'll just start leasing maserati's instead of bmw's. They've had it drilled into them through peers and media that everything is going to work out ok and they dont need to worry about anything but enjoying themselves.

Yeah, that's why I'm kind of conflicted about trying to help irresponsible friends get raises. They don't seem to really know how to save. I know I'm being underpaid at my current job compared to a lot of less productive people but if I got a raise I'd just save the extra money, not putting it back into the economy or anything.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 13, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Working on likenesses. This is hard!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Looking great :thumbsup: The only thing that sticks out to me as a little off the reference is the fold at the corner of her mouth is a bit more defined in the ref. The angle of the jaw could be a little sharper as well.

e: Supraorbital ridge could come out a little bit more too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the mouth corners is defeating me. Sometimes it seems I cant get the shape right at all, but it looks perfectly fine from other angles/lighting and I cant tell if it's actually off or not.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What does the base topology, unsubdivided, look like there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's at work so it's a mystery til I go back!