Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Psion posted:

It's not even requiring blanket permissions. There's a very simple Y/N checkbox when uploading a file which says "allow people to port this to other games y/n?" -- if anything, SSE is kind of unprecedented. I imagine a lot of people who checked the no box were assuming it was something like "can I port this skyrim mod to dark souls" instead of "can I port this Skyrim mod to Skyrim 2: HD Boogaloo" and :shrug:

what I wonder is if you could get away with something like just uploading an SSE ESP or maybe just the changed meshes -- the absolute minimum required and no other files and saying "this mod requires you to install [whatever the Oldrim source mod is]" or whether that too would get axed by Nexus. it'd probably be a good starting position?

No because it isn't the technicalities of the rules it's the cult of personality built up around the Nexus. The real way to get around this is to host off-site and prepare for the DMCA takedown requests sent in by a bunch of chumps that don't understand how those actually work. Like it is really easy to just do it, tell everyone to gently caress off and wait around till you become an institution within the community itself. The rules that the Nexus has is *not* the rules of the community, everyone just kind of goes along with it.

Oceanbound posted:

Most of the stuff works fine in SE if you just install it. Someone made a post in the Nexus page that tells you which options to avoid when installing.

KakerMix posted:

Here is the hot official list of why mods for Skyrim/Oldrim won't work for SSE/The New poo poo and if they can be made to work:

Animations
Animations have to be converted full-stop. This includes incidental vanilla animation files packed into some mods (like ones that turn your horse into a boat) and ones like that you need FNIS for. This is the cool way to convert them atm.

Meshes:
Some meshes need to be converted or they will 'explode' out. They won't crash the game as far as I can tell, just choke performance and look really ugly. .nif files can be run through this tool taking care to note what kind of meshes you are converting. Convert everything (including particle meshes wow) then separately convert face meshes using the options within the program.

Textures
Textures that are out of spec for SSE will crash your game every time. It seems Oldrim was much more tolerant of textures that weren't exactly the right size or right format. SSE doesn't do .tga files either, only .dds. Unfortunately I don't know of any batch-file conversion things for textures but I do know doing it by hand in Photoshop with NVIDIA's .dds plugin works great. For instance I was messing with this Dwemer Aquarium home for Oldrim and it had one texture that was 512x511 pixels and this would crash SSE every time you went into a room that used the texture. Saving it as 512x512 (and thus making it a multiple of 4) made it the correct usable size for SSE and it no longer crashed.

Scripts
Scripts had no change between Oldrim and SSE and can be used as-is with no conversion needed or even possible.

SKSE Requirements
If a mod requires SKSE you might go 'o no not for SSE' but that might not be entirely true. Some mods that list SKSE as a requirement only use the MCM portion of SKSE meaning they function just fine in SSE (as scripts are a-ok across Oldrim/SSE) but there are no options available to you since MCM doesn't work. This is how we got mods like Skyrim Unbound on SSE, the mod works it's just there is no MCM system to plug into so you instead cludgily use a power or spell to bring up an in-game option set and tweak the mod from within there. Even if you don't a lot of mods will simply work just fine, you just won't have that MCM option which might mean the mod is totally unusable or just not tweakable. Other mods of course require the function of SKSE to actually be used in the game at all, things like NPCs smithing weapons for you or mods that have NPCs able to enchant weapons for you. Mods that do odd things like convert weapons from one mesh to another.

Oldrim .bsa files
Absolutely will not work. If you download an Oldrim mod and it has a .bsa file included you are going to have to extract those files out into loose form at the minimum, then conversion like said above and if you are feeling frisky re-archiving them into an SSE .bsa.

FINALLY the biggest reason of all that you don't see mass conversion of mods from Oldrim to SSE is because the Nexus community and blow-hards like Art have made it so if a mod author doesn't give explicit blanket permissions and then disappears from the community you can not update, convert, change or add to a mod as far as the Nexus is concerned. This is the biggest content killer there is and the Nexus has a very negative effect on the community because of it. Plenty of people have converted mods that work just fine but there isn't any good place to put them because the community is such that it loving sucks huge rear end. Other communities have things to where if the author is missing for x length of time you can convert them over and assume the mod is abandoned and wouldn't you know it that's a very good thing.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Someone rehosted my house mod on Betheseda.net while I wasn't paying attention but 1. I don't really care so long as he didn't try to monetize it and 2. It looks like he hosed up some stuff in the transition and lol good luck with that.

I never got around to completely finishing and debugging the mod since I really burnt out after a while there and jumping back into Skyrim modding is basically a commitment in every sense of the word. Sorry if any of you were waiting on it.

Two things to say though:

1. Rayek actually is working on a big update of the original mod and used a bunch of my ideas; it looks pretty good and is worth checking out.

2. I've spent enough time away that the itch is coming back, I'll probably wait till SKSE64 is out though since that poo poo is just way too useful on both sides of the modding coin.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
A problem I'm having is that when I load a new save after the qasmoke test cell for a new game I find that the notification text persists from loading mods. This means that when in the qasmoke cell I have a bunch of text in the upper-left corner telling me about all the mods loading, then after I load a new save I find that this text is still visible and even keeps loading for several more minutes. Does this mean that scripts from the qasmoke cell are then transferred into the new save, or is it only the text that persists? Basically I want to know if this will break my saves. It doesn't seem to happen with each and every load but it happens with most.

I didn't notice this issue on an earlier install and modlist so I assume it's a mod-related issue. Anyone know the cause? I'm just asking now before I go ahead and tear apart my mod list trying to find the source.

EDIT: Also, what's up with it when NPCs seem to strech out into infinity then go invisible? All this is on Oldrim.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Guess what motherfuckers I've got EnaiSiaion's Dwemertech - Magic of the Dwarves properly converted over to SSE. I mean, it isn't crashing and the scripts and poo poo are firing so that's good right? I messaged EnaiSiaion the files as well so hopefully it's all good.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_c6m_c6szJHVlhZZFJVTHctbFU

EDIT
Also updated Pit Fighters and JKs Cities to use .bsa files because loose files are bad.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 10, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cat Mattress posted:

The updated URL scheme for that would be this but it doesn't seem to exist. I found there had been a reupload but it also doesn't exist anymore. I guess there was some sort of drama, the guy is banned. Try modpiracy, or backtranslate one of the translations, since there are a few.

I tried modpiracy, and a couple of other people were asking for the updated version, but no luck. I looked through the comments on the old version, though, and it sounds like Immersive Weapons has some of the same stuff. I have Heavy Armory installed, but the description for Immersive Weapons says it doesn't conflict with any mods (aside from leveled lists). If the old version of WotTE doesn't work, should it be removed from the OP?

Also, I know this is the Nexus we're talking about, but I find it odd that they'd remove a mod author's files if they get banned. Wouldn't that cause issues with NMM or MO in regards to checking for updates?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does anyone know why loading from qasmoke works but loading from the main menu makes Skyrim CTD?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Depending on what cell you're loading into, and more specifically what mods you've got, it could be hitting a Skyrim memory limit (or whatever) and crashing out. qasmoke is a really basic cell so it doesn't push anything hard.

Skyrim is more stable in-game going from cell to cell than it is loading a cell from scratch, so this kinda thing can happen. :shrug:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So my main goal in getting Skyrim modded was so I tackle the expansions and clear them off my backlog. Are there any mods that add to or improve aspects for Dawnguard/Dragonborn? I remember someone saying that Dragonborn was frustrating because the map's not helpful or something along those lines.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For those of you that use Ordinator did you find it balanced more towards earning more perk points than the norm via some other perk mod or was it just fine with the one perk per level arrangement? How diverse can your build be before you're spread too thin?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deified Data posted:

For those of you that use Ordinator did you find it balanced more towards earning more perk points than the norm via some other perk mod or was it just fine with the one perk per level arrangement? How diverse can your build be before you're spread too thin?

Iirc every single skill tree in ordinator has a combat focused perk line. So I've been fine with my one perk point per level as an Alteration/one handed mage, illusion only mage, and a pickpocket. Only issue ive had is my melee only dude when i face necromancers, but that's a base game issue since enemies have infinite mana to backpeddle while you are slowed with no stamina. But boy when i get in there with my sword and board... :getin:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm finally relenting and playing Skyrim for realzies this time, even with the tediousness of organizing mods. I'm craving old-school RPG action, even if I weep for my harddrive space.

I'm having a hankering for an archer thief this time. Any mods I should consider? For whatever reason, I love sneaking through castles and pilfering whatever I can find that isn't nailed down to fence off.

e: I'm gonna go with this guide for basic graphics/modding because I'm a big dumb dumb who wants no-muss no-fuss with his game. :downs::

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76373/

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 10, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Max Wilco posted:

So my main goal in getting Skyrim modded was so I tackle the expansions and clear them off my backlog. Are there any mods that add to or improve aspects for Dawnguard/Dragonborn? I remember someone saying that Dragonborn was frustrating because the map's not helpful or something along those lines.

Dragonborn's worldspace is small enough you don't really need the map either way, but I use a Quality Worldmap or whatever because it's great. Very useful Dawnguard mods include disabling stupid vampire attacks in cities (because they're stupid) and then not playing it until you're really bored.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Converted Inconsequential NPCs this time.

SSE File

EDIT
And the 'enhancment' module that allows these NPCs to use armor from Immersive Armors and Winter is Coming.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 10, 2017

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

KakerMix posted:

Converted Inconsequential NPCs this time.

SSE File

EDIT
And the 'enhancment' module that allows these NPCs to use armor from Immersive Armors and Winter is Coming.

I'm loving your conversions - cool selections for mods to port over. Just wanted to say thanks!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I've finally got Skyrim modded how I like it, but now the game is crashing my graphics card. I'm in that temple outside of Dawnstar, and I play for a few minutes, only for the screen to go black and my monitor loses the signal, forcing me to restart the computer.

Is there a way to toggle ENB on-and-off or does it have to be uninstalled? I think that might be the cause, because it seems like it would be the most resource intensive, but it might be something else. I've also got the Hi-Res DLC and the unofficial patch for it, as well as the Hi-Res DLC Optimization and the Noble Skyrim texture mod.

EDIT: I think I might have figured out the problem. I reinstalled the Hi-Res DLC Optimization, and used the lower setting (the higher settings use more VRAM). So far, I haven't had any crashing issues, but I'll have to play some more and see if I run into the issue again.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 10, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

So I've finally got Skyrim modded how I like it, but now the game is crashing my graphics card. I'm in that temple outside of Dawnstar, and I play for a few minutes, only for the screen to go black and my monitor loses the signal, forcing me to restart the computer.

Is there a way to toggle ENB on-and-off or does it have to be uninstalled? I think that might be the cause, because it seems like it would be the most resource intensive, but it might be something else. I've also got the Hi-Res DLC and the unofficial patch for it, as well as the Hi-Res DLC Optimization and the Noble Skyrim texture mod.

EDIT: I think I might have figured out the problem. I reinstalled the Hi-Res DLC Optimization, and used the lower setting (the higher settings use more VRAM). So far, I haven't had any crashing issues, but I'll have to play some more and see if I run into the issue again.

Shift + F12 to toggle the graphics portion, shift + F10 to open the ingame menu with all the options. If your monitor is anything other than 1080p the menu is going to have weird mouse movement separate from the game cursor.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I was an idiot who kept a bunch of unused playback game recordings numbering in the dozens of gigs on his HDD, so guess who has two thumbs and is ready to mod?

This guy. :smug:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
lol at the Imperious racial traits mod, some of these bonuses are absurd and cartoonish but I love it. Orcs can create a shockwave that knocks enemies off their feet once every combat encounter.

Also lol at the Nords getting damage bonuses against a race of your choice - weaponized racism.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Deified Data posted:

lol at the Imperious racial traits mod, some of these bonuses are absurd and cartoonish but I love it. Orcs can create a shockwave that knocks enemies off their feet once every combat encounter.

Also lol at the Nords getting damage bonuses against a race of your choice - weaponized racism.

gently caress yeah cannibal Bosmer without doing Namira's quest.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not only that, but you can disable the Green Pact, and play as a Bosmer apostate! (As seen in the book "Why We Farm".)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been using SPERG forever, how are the other overhauls in the OP in comparison?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

gmq posted:

I have been using SPERG forever, how are the other overhauls in the OP in comparison?

I've switched to Ordinator and I enjoy it quite a lot. Not as much qol as SPERG but I like the various builds you can try

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ordinator is missing Best Friend so its trash imo.

More seriously it has some cool bits but I don't like it as much as SPERG. The SPERG/Ordinator patch gives you most of the good bits which is cool

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The biggest difference between SPERG and Ordinator for me is that SPERG rewards you for branching out into different perk trees while Ordinator is all about making you decide on a specific build early on and sticking with it. Say you've been playing mostly with swords but you find a really cool mace you want to use. With SPERG you can switch and have no problems but with Ordinator all those perks you took to make your swords more powerful don't do jack for a mace. Same way with Frost/Fire/Lightning spells, you have to pick one and stick with it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Ordinator is missing Best Friend so its trash imo.

More seriously it has some cool bits but I don't like it as much as SPERG. The SPERG/Ordinator patch gives you most of the good bits which is cool
Best Friend is so good and it's the #1 thing I miss most from Ordinator. I should just give in and find a mod to give a merchant infinite cash to replace my Magical Selling Things Mudcrab :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I literally start every SPERG playthrough with

player.advskill spechcraft 100000 which bumps you to 41 speech and lets you get Best Friend immediately because playing Skyrim without my animal bro just feels wrong now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CFox posted:

The biggest difference between SPERG and Ordinator for me is that SPERG rewards you for branching out into different perk trees while Ordinator is all about making you decide on a specific build early on and sticking with it. Say you've been playing mostly with swords but you find a really cool mace you want to use. With SPERG you can switch and have no problems but with Ordinator all those perks you took to make your swords more powerful don't do jack for a mace. Same way with Frost/Fire/Lightning spells, you have to pick one and stick with it.

Ordinator does have a built-in respec function for perk points at least. And as for the SPERG Best Friend it's true that Ordinator doesn't have that but Imperious Racial Traits (by the same author) owns hard because I am a Bosmer that's running around with a saber cat that I tamed right before it attacked me using my racial special ability I earned for hunting animals pointed out to me by my bird bro. Also, cannibalism.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Ordinator does have a built-in respec function for perk points at least. And as for the SPERG Best Friend it's true that Ordinator doesn't have that but Imperious Racial Traits (by the same author) owns hard because I am a Bosmer that's running around with a saber cat that I tamed right before it attacked me using my racial special ability I earned for hunting animals pointed out to me by my bird bro. Also, cannibalism.

I love all of his mods but I love Imperious so much.

The Dunmer having literal KILL KILL KILL voices in their heads is my favorite part.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Imperious has given my kahkit punch cat the ability to leap about thirty feet while sneaking, it is wonderful. My next ability is unlocked one i get another 70k gold

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Imperious has given my kahkit punch cat the ability to leap about thirty feet while sneaking, it is wonderful. My next ability is unlocked one i get another 70k gold

Sadly, it's fairly useless by the time you get it.

The leap is awesome though.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So hopefully not a stupid question but if there's some documentation on this I'd be appreciative.

I'm switching computers and have to transfer my Skyrim from one machine to another. is there a way to export my Mod Organizer build and the files within from one machine to another? Or should I just copy the whole folder, install on the new machine, overwrite all the settings, install SKSE and Skyrim, link it up and call it good?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You can copy the whole Mod Organizer folder over, I'm pretty sure.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Malek posted:

So hopefully not a stupid question but if there's some documentation on this I'd be appreciative.

I'm switching computers and have to transfer my Skyrim from one machine to another. is there a way to export my Mod Organizer build and the files within from one machine to another? Or should I just copy the whole folder, install on the new machine, overwrite all the settings, install SKSE and Skyrim, link it up and call it good?

This works just fine. I use Mod Organizer in Dropbox to sync my entire modded Skyrim across multiple PC's and it works great.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like ordinator more than sperg because it alters the actual active combat more. Sperg is a lot of "Y does X% more damage" which is okay but doesn't change gameplay like timed shield blocks or war dancing

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
But yeah all mods should include the ability for animal friends

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Ordinator has a perk that lets you tame a companion animal. I like rolling with a little bunny or snow fox.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Ordinator has a perk that lets you tame a companion animal. I like rolling with a little bunny or snow fox.

Yeah, but they can't go through doors. Or scale. You have to abandon them all the time.

It really bugs me there aren't more good animal companion mods really. Every time I do a reinstall I look for one and its always just a glut of reskinned dogs, a bear/sabertooth or nothing. There's a huge 'Tame the Beasts of Skyrim' that's interesting but incredibly unstable and barely functional.

I would love to be able to get a Chaurus pet for instance (I once modded SPERG to change the dog into a Chaurus but it was glitchy since I don't have that much practical modding experience). Or an Ash Hopper, or something. Maybe even just a mod to make Dawnguard's armored Trolls not total poo poo!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Zore posted:

Yeah, but they can't go through doors. Or scale. You have to abandon them all the time.

It really bugs me there aren't more good animal companion mods really. Every time I do a reinstall I look for one and its always just a glut of reskinned dogs, a bear/sabertooth or nothing. There's a huge 'Tame the Beasts of Skyrim' that's interesting but incredibly unstable and barely functional.

I would love to be able to get a Chaurus pet for instance (I once modded SPERG to change the dog into a Chaurus but it was glitchy since I don't have that much practical modding experience). Or an Ash Hopper, or something. Maybe even just a mod to make Dawnguard's armored Trolls not total poo poo!

You can get Phenderix's Magic whatever, SSE or Oldrim, allows you to summon any creature indefinitely, they show up as conjuration spells. I'd advice against the guys ~Magic World~ as it's a giant eyesore outside of Markarth and is just an all around bloated shitshow.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just noticed there's an entire bard/skald perk tree within speechcraft in Ordinator. :allears: That's like an entire self-contained RP conceit right there.

I was forced to make the move to Ordinator from SPERG because of SSE, otherwise I probably would have installed SPERG again because that's what I know, but now that I've gotten more used to Ordinator I think I prefer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Just noticed there's an entire bard/skald perk tree within speechcraft in Ordinator. :allears: That's like an entire self-contained RP conceit right there.

I was forced to make the move to Ordinator from SPERG because of SSE, otherwise I probably would have installed SPERG again because that's what I know, but now that I've gotten more used to Ordinator I think I prefer it.

I've started using the Sperg-Ordinator combined since I liked Ordinator's variety of perks and builds but missed things like armor skill-ups and auto-perks. So far it's working out real nice.