Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
New dev diary with the next age and its bonuses. Plus a mysterious new HRE-like thing in the bottom right :iiam: e: lol I didn't even notice, it says "china" in black text. wonder what it could be?

also:

Japan's getting nearly nearly twice as many provinces. China and Manchuria also getting a few more from what we've seen.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Despite my hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game, I still dont understand how I can get stackwiped defending a mountain province with army with a 35% morale bonus and 10% Discipline bonus and a 2/3/3/1 general when I am fighting 30k with 20k. I can understand losing, but getting stackwiped is absurd. Yes my maintenance was at full. They are French without their Elan bonus, and I am Castillian with my morale and discipline bonuses.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Despite my hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game, I still dont understand how I can get stackwiped defending a mountain province with army with a 35% morale bonus and 10% Discipline bonus and a 2/3/3/1 general when I am fighting 30k with 20k. I can understand losing, but getting stackwiped is absurd. Yes my maintenance was at full. They are French without their Elan bonus, and I am Castillian with my morale and discipline bonuses.

You don't mention tech level, ideas, or the enemy general. Also, were you sieging at the time?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

You don't mention tech level, ideas, or the enemy general. Also, were you sieging at the time?
Enemy general was worse, I have 1 better tech (7 vs 6, I think, I already deleted the save because I was totally hosed), I abandoned the siege of Labourd and fell back to Navarra, so no I was not sieging. They have admin ideas.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
You know, I wouldn't mind a window in which you select a country and get a side-by-side comparison of one of your soldiers to one of theirs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

You could get colonialism, global trade, manufactories and the enlightenment to spawn in China if you meet the criteria. The renaissance and the printing press (I believe) are guaranteed to spawn in Europe.

Global trade is easy as heck to get for yourself because it always spawns within the richest trade node in the world. The rest are pretty random though.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I've got persia as a vassal, made out of one province from QQ. Now, persian separatists are loving up timurids and also occasionally flipping provinces to my vassal's control, which gives them ridiculous liberty desire.
If I get 60 spy score, support those rebels, declare on tims with 'enforce rebel demands' cb, and win...what will happen? Will I get what I want - giant persia without giant liberty desire?
These situations where the game mechanics aren't clear are the only thing I dislike about iron man :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

New dev diary with the next age and its bonuses. Plus a mysterious new HRE-like thing in the bottom right :iiam: e: lol I didn't even notice, it says "china" in black text. wonder what it could be?

also:

Japan's getting nearly nearly twice as many provinces. China and Manchuria also getting a few more from what we've seen.
Meh. Yet another expansion I will not be buying on release. I just dont see the advantage of tacking more systems on and thus adding more systems for the player to track and manage. I know they have to give us something new to get people to pay for it, but a content expansion with new upgrades to existing features and events would go a long way, and I would be happy to pay for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 10, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh no

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

awesmoe posted:

I've got persia as a vassal, made out of one province from QQ. Now, persian separatists are loving up timurids and also occasionally flipping provinces to my vassal's control, which gives them ridiculous liberty desire.
If I get 60 spy score, support those rebels, declare on tims with 'enforce rebel demands' cb, and win...what will happen? Will I get what I want - giant persia without giant liberty desire?
These situations where the game mechanics aren't clear are the only thing I dislike about iron man :(

Generic advice for when I don't know the answer and it's unlikely anyone else will either: make a copy of the save, try it and find out, roll back if something crazy happens.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

PittTheElder posted:

Generic advice for when I don't know the answer and it's unlikely anyone else will either: make a copy of the save, try it and find out, roll back if something crazy happens.

I agree with that, but my gut instinct is that you're going to have giant persia with liberty desire in the hundreds.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

For fucks sake, Aragon gets pulled out of my war with England and Portugal when the Iberian Wedding fires?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Liberty desire from provinces flipping is insanely high right now. They either need to lower the amount each province gives or put a cap on it.

On the other hand, liberty desire reduction from developing your subject is supposedly also way too high right now, though I haven't tested it myself. So maybe it kinda evens out.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

For fucks sake, Aragon gets pulled out of my war with England and Portugal when the Iberian Wedding fires?

Yep, they become the lesser member in the union so they can no longer be at war without Castille. It would make more sense for Castille to get pulled in also instead of forcing peace on Aragon, but that's not how it's programmed when a country becomes the lesser of a union due to an event.

If you are fighting Aragon when it fires the war gets white peaced out as well, especially annoying when you are Naples and trying to break free.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Bold Robot posted:

Liberty desire from provinces flipping is insanely high right now. They either need to lower the amount each province gives or put a cap on it.

On the other hand, liberty desire reduction from developing your subject is supposedly also way too high right now, though I haven't tested it myself. So maybe it kinda evens out.

A bunch of provinces full of rebels that just kicked out their lovely overlords realized they have a lovely overlord and they are more powerful than that overlord as well. Sounds more fair than most of history.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Speaking of Naples, I have been thinking about trying for Not just pizza and Italian ambition, what's a good strategy for naples in this version?

I feel like their ideas are quite lovely.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

aeglus posted:

A bunch of provinces full of rebels that just kicked out their lovely overlords realized they have a lovely overlord and they are more powerful than that overlord as well. Sounds more fair than most of history.

The bolded part is the problem. Liberty desire already accounts for relative strength. Provinces flipping adds a huge amount of liberty desire regardless of relative strength. I'm not saying it should go away entirely, but it's pretty silly when, for example, you're playing Ottomans and a few Timurid provinces flip to Persia - which is still significantly weaker than you - and suddenly they've got sky-high liberty desire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

deathbagel posted:

Yep, they become the lesser member in the union so they can no longer be at war without Castille. It would make more sense for Castille to get pulled in also instead of forcing peace on Aragon, but that's not how it's programmed when a country becomes the lesser of a union due to an event.

If you are fighting Aragon when it fires the war gets white peaced out as well, especially annoying when you are Naples and trying to break free.
The problem here is that I am Castille. I was allied to Aragon. I pulled them into my war against Portugal and England. England somehow has 10 heavies, 30 transports, and 50k men in 1460 so I kinda need the help if I want to win the war.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Speaking of Naples, I have been thinking about trying for Not just pizza and Italian ambition, what's a good strategy for naples in this version?

But on the plus side, you get much better ideas when you form Italy so you won't miss them.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The problem here is that I am Castille. I was allied to Aragon. I pulled them into my war against Portugal and England. England somehow has 10 heavies, 30 transports, and 50k men in 1460 so I kinda need the help if I want to win the war.

I see. Well now that is definitely quite a problem. I always make sure I have at least 10 heavies before slugging it out with England, though it's very hard to do with Castille considering the shoestring budget they start with. That sounds even more irritating than the Naples situation for sure.

TorakFade posted:

I think the tried and true "get France to become your friend and break you loose" tactic will still work. After that I'd probably go after Serbia for the Kosovo gold mine, then maybe head into Africa to expand your income and manpower, striking at the Pope if he ever gives you an opening. Then wait for North Italy to drop from the HRE and have a field day. I thought about doing Naples during the run I just started, but ended up just doing Aragon instead.

I still am not sure what I'm going to do as my long term goal. Right now I'm trying to build up enough to break the Ottomenace. I'm 90% of the way through with integrating Tlemecen which is going to give me lots of fun destabilization while I'm trying to convert all their Sunni provinces.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 10, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yup. PU mechanics in this game are absolutely bizarre.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is there a reason the teutonic order is consistently refusing my break alliance demand when they have +3 reason and a big YES

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

oddium posted:

is there a reason the teutonic order is consistently refusing my break alliance demand when they have +3 reason and a big YES

I heard somewhere that the trust modifier is applied before they actually make the decision, but that isn't reflected in the UI. So you actually need to have like +6 reasons or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the UI is broken. A margin >5 seems to do it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

cool thanks

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ah so that's why the AI keeps refusing to break alliances when it says it will. That's good to know, thanks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Stealing maps. How does it work? All of the regions say I can't steal that map because I don't have a unit in that region. Do I have to move a boat next to the uncovered region for that to turn yes?

It seems kinda stupid. I'm stealing maps. They are pieces of paper. Why do I need military or navy presence?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

Stealing maps. How does it work? All of the regions say I can't steal that map because I don't have a unit in that region. Do I have to move a boat next to the uncovered region for that to turn yes?

It seems kinda stupid. I'm stealing maps. They are pieces of paper. Why do I need military or navy presence?

Yeah, needs to be adjacent to the area you're stealing from. It's really annoying as asian nations without exploration. I wish you could just steal and share without the unit requirement. It costs prestige and there are so many sea areas and on and on...I dunno.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

playing as the papal state, wondering about this:

imagine another one in front who also got the curia controller bonus. kingdom of god was declared. non-curia pope was a sinner. questions are:

do all kingdom of god popes get the curia controller ae bonus
can sinners not be curia controller
does the curia controller bonus just still exist and shift to who would get it had kingdom of god not been declared when a new pope popes

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

oddium posted:

playing as the papal state, wondering about this:

imagine another one in front who also got the curia controller bonus. kingdom of god was declared. non-curia pope was a sinner. questions are:

do all kingdom of god popes get the curia controller ae bonus
can sinners not be curia controller
does the curia controller bonus just still exist and shift to who would get it had kingdom of god not been declared when a new pope popes

I think this is how it works, I kept noticing the controller bonus appear and disappear as well. In the end I save modded to restore Curia function so I could at least see what was happening. IMO that decision should make you permanent controller, given what it represents and that the current bonus is quite lame. Should also be the only thing that can make you empire rank so you can get cultural union.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

PittTheElder posted:

Results are in!
Supporting the persian rebels in both cases with the spy action before declaring.

Declaring with reconquest CB - worked just like normal reconquest, but allied with rebel deathstacks. 25% ae, 75% cost for all provinces that I took back. Standard stuff. Warscore varied depending on which provinces I claimed, as usual. Note that I could claim provinces that the rebels were holding.

Declaring with support rebels CB - war as above, allied with rebels. Flat 50 warscore and 0 ae to turn ALL rebel-held persian provinces over to my vassal. I didn't get any abnormal liberty desire increase for this (persia got a lot stronger so it jumped, but that's expected)
The key note with this one, though - all land taken by me, my vassals, and my allies, even when turned over to persia, wasn't included in the winnings. And you can't hand control of an occupied province to the rebels. So you need to beat the poo poo out of the enemy far away from the land you're trying to claim, and wait for the rebels to capture everything you want on their own.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Quorum posted:

I think this is how it works, I kept noticing the controller bonus appear and disappear as well. In the end I save modded to restore Curia function so I could at least see what was happening. IMO that decision should make you permanent controller, given what it represents and that the current bonus is quite lame. Should also be the only thing that can make you empire rank so you can get cultural union.

Should also change your name to The Kingdom of God imo, I like my stupid name changes.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Is the go-to strat for a Castille start still "Release Galicia, feed Portugal to it"? There are a bunch of achievements tied to Castille/Spain that I am going to go after.

Release Galicia, use it to cut Portugal in half (leave them a few rich provinces at least) and then vassalize them. Now you have two vassals whom at least one of which will colonize (slower than normal, ~1/3 speed from my experience) and have your colonies shipping boatloads of cash your way asap. Meanwhile gently caress up France every chance you get and once you're the biggest strongest boy in Europe just start force vassalizing the smallest HRE electors until you have 4 of them (you'll probably need to have integrated Aragon and Galicia at least to get the slots)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

420 Gank Mid posted:

Release Galicia, use it to cut Portugal in half (leave them a few rich provinces at least) and then vassalize them. Now you have two vassals whom at least one of which will colonize (slower than normal, ~1/3 speed from my experience) and have your colonies shipping boatloads of cash your way asap. Meanwhile gently caress up France every chance you get and once you're the biggest strongest boy in Europe just start force vassalizing the smallest HRE electors until you have 4 of them (you'll probably need to have integrated Aragon and Galicia at least to get the slots)

You could try subsidizing your colonizing vassals for a while if they're colonizing slowly. I don't know how effective it will be on vassals specifically, but it's extremely good for making sure the colonial nations themselves will cover a lot of ground. Just throwing them 10 or even 5 ducats a month for a couple decades will be a drop in the bucket to you, but a gigantic help to them (thus eventually to you, through tariffs).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

skasion posted:

You could try subsidizing your colonizing vassals for a while if they're colonizing slowly. I don't know how effective it will be on vassals specifically, but it's extremely good for making sure the colonial nations themselves will cover a lot of ground. Just throwing them 10 or even 5 ducats a month for a couple decades will be a drop in the bucket to you, but a gigantic help to them (thus eventually to you, through tariffs).

They don't even need that much. I usually give them 2 or 3 a month. The AI is eager to throw its money into colonists and will use any money you give them for that above almost everything else, so you really just need to pay the maintenance for their colonist.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

420 Gank Mid posted:

Before I ended up doing anything I found out my heir was a 5/1/4 so I decided to just conquer Portugal's land. Now they are down to 4 provinces and I think I should be able to vassalize them. I am debating if I just want to nuke them to prevent wrong-color colonies or suffer the color problem so I can make more money.

After a few tries I got lucky that the Iberian Wedding fired after the war with Portugal and England (and I annulled the alliance between the two) and after I annexed Navarre, instead of in the middle of either. France is, of course, allied to the Ottomans. I am trying to figure out how to steal Provence from The Pope so I can get access to Northern Italy and Germany so I can start vassalizing electors.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 11, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The colonies will turn the right color when you eventually annex Portugal iirc

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

The colonies will turn the right color when you eventually annex Portugal iirc
:monocle: when did this change?!? I may have to keep them around...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

deathbagel posted:

I think the tried and true "get France to become your friend and break you loose" tactic will still work. After that I'd probably go after Serbia for the Kosovo gold mine, then maybe head into Africa to expand your income and manpower, striking at the Pope if he ever gives you an opening. Then wait for North Italy to drop from the HRE and have a field day. I thought about doing Naples during the run I just started, but ended up just doing Aragon instead.

I might have hosed up in one of the best start ever. Aragon declared immediately on Navarra and castile beat them up badly, making them immediately release me. I am allied and royal married to france, castile and savoy and rivaled Aragon hoping to reclaim my cores but then the iberian wedding fires and I am stuck with castile as an ally and no reasonable way to get my cores back.

Every possible expansion into Italy is currently blocked by all Italian minors and the Pope allying Austria and me not gaining favors with france fast enough (30 years for 10 favors), and North Africa looks like they are way stronger than me. In the balkans Ottomans have gotten Serbia and Albania is venetian.

What should I be doing? Breaking my alliance and marriage with Castile in a while to try and get back my cores in Sicily with France's help (they are now rivals of Castile since the wedding, started out being neutral to them that's why I allied both)? Or wait until Austria get in a war and attack the Pope to get a foothold towards northern italy? I'm never good at the waiting game, I always play big nations that can pretty much attack whenever they want. I am only 10 years in, maybe I should just restart and gain independence and cores by letting castile and France destroy Aragon while supporting my independence?

Also what is a good first idea for naples? Thinking diplo, I usually go influence for the -core creation cost but never use vassals that much, and exploration seems a waste right now at diptech 4. MAybe trade since I'm poor? But I only control a tiny amount of trade power in genoa...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I might have hosed up in one of the best start ever. Aragon declared immediately on Navarra and castile beat them up badly, making them immediately release me. I am allied and royal married to france, castile and savoy and rivaled Aragon hoping to reclaim my cores but then the iberian wedding fires and I am stuck with castile as an ally and no reasonable way to get my cores back.

Every possible expansion into Italy is currently blocked by all Italian minors and the Pope allying Austria and me not gaining favors with france fast enough (30 years for 10 favors), and North Africa looks like they are way stronger than me. In the balkans Ottomans have gotten Serbia and Albania is venetian.

What should I be doing? Breaking my alliance and marriage with Castile in a while to try and get back my cores in Sicily with France's help (they are now rivals of Castile since the wedding, started out being neutral to them that's why I allied both)? Or wait until Austria get in a war and attack the Pope to get a foothold towards northern italy? I'm never good at the waiting game, I always play big nations that can pretty much attack whenever they want. I am only 10 years in, maybe I should just restart and gain independence and cores by letting castile and France destroy Aragon while supporting my independence?

Also what is a good first idea for naples? Thinking diplo, I usually go influence for the -core creation cost but never use vassals that much, and exploration seems a waste right now at diptech 4. MAybe trade since I'm poor? But I only control a tiny amount of trade power in genoa...

At that point it sounds like you have 2 options. Either break ties with Castile and let France and Savoy crush them or play opportunistic and wait for one of your neighbors to do something stupid. If the Pope still has Avignon you might be able to convince France to join the war with them by promising them territory. You also might think about jumping on Venice or the Mamluks (no CB war is painful, but if you can get a foothold in Egypt in Alexandria/Rosetta it can definitely be worth the pain) as soon as the Ottomans decide to crush them (if they haven't already.)

• Locked thread