Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I'd be down for them to work NJPW more instead of going to WWE. Specially with KES back in NJPW, they had some really good matches with War Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I like Ray Rowe but im pretty sure him and Karl Anderson are clones

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not seeing it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

drinks a bunch
has a hot wife
talks like an 80s southern wrestler

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rovert do you know anything more about this

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'd hate for Kyle to sign with WWE but Jesus Christ if that's what he wants to do don't keep him prisoner like that!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't know what roh could do to stop the fed from signing a now-free agent except inform the fed that they intend to file against them for contract tampering if they do, which we all know they have done since the beginning of time

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, its a no win move to play hardball and screw people out of upward mobility. If its true that ROH is blocking people from going to the WWE then that seems like a suicidal move.

I know WWE is essentially raiding/killing the business a third time with the recent NXT/CWC/UK stuff and general signing up of indy talents, but the moves companies like NJPW and ROH are doing seem like desperate and counter productive ones. It sucks if WWE is determined to raid them but they're not really in any position to do anything about it.

I don't know, it seems far fetched because outside of really villainous sabotage I don't see what ROH could do if O'Reilly's contract is up.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
My guess is they are attempting to inforce a really stupid non compete

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What would that even accomplish though? O'Reilly goes to NXT a couple of months later? It's not as if WWE's interest in him is being a mega name to debut at the Rumble.

The only thing it could accomplish is to force O'Reilly not to sign because he can't afford to not work for a few months. Which is the kind of evil sabotage villainy that would seem to be poison to ever again signing another mid level talent to a contract.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I know WWE is essentially raiding/killing the business a third time with the recent NXT/CWC/UK stuff and general signing up of indy talents, but the moves companies like NJPW and ROH are doing seem like desperate and counter productive ones.

What would you suggest they do instead?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what they could do short of getting a major prime time show (and TNA has well and proven that that's no magic bullet). If WWE is going to keep pulling top talent from the indies then the top indies are stuck until either they stop, someone can compete with them on that level, or they become so bloated that wrestlers stop wanting to sign up to just be on "another indy" like NXT or 205 or the UK thing.

It sucks and on some level it seems like WWE is trying to do to the Indy system what they did with the Territory system. But playing hardball and ruthless with the talent doesn't help that. All it seems like you can really do is invest in new talent, try and push a positive culture that they enjoy being in, and try and grow in a sustainable way so you can better compete.

In the long run I think the silver lining/hope has to be that what WWE is doing also seems unsustainable. At some point they either have to hit critical mass for talent and shows/brands or shed talent to compensate, which the indies can then use. WWE seems intent on taking over the world right now and that just seems a little too much. So companies like ROH and NJPW maybe just need to wait it out and are probably in the best position of all the indies to do that (I keep calling NJPW an indy and a recognize that might not be fair, so sorry).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 10, 2017

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

super macho dude posted:

What would you suggest they do instead?
Offer serious money to counter NXT downsides and a prayer. They managed to keep the Young Bucks twice.
Have any of WWE's raids been considered great contracts since Balor? AJ left because he needed guaranteed money and he and Gallows/Anderson were willing to go to TNA. Nakamura wanted to go to America.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there's going to be people like the Bucks who know they can get better money working indies and don't think its worth it to be on NXT or 205. You might lose some big talent but that was always the case, its just happening a little more frequently now.

Stagger your contract endings so you can't lose all your talent at once.
Book more balanced cards so you're not overly reliant on a few guys.
Try and work with other indies to make "alliances" where wrestlers know they'll get multiple deals and more exposure like the WWN thing or the old NWA.

There are ways like that you can try and combat that, but the worst things you can do are overextend your own business or piss off the talent by making them the victims of your war with WWE.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The costs of 205 might be eaten to some extent given to most of the production already being paid for but NXT's not getting any more lucrative as its talent acquisition has accelerated and the CWC's hype isn't in effect for a mostly listless UK tournament and the continually delayed women's tourney. They're looking for ways to keep subscription rates steady and it really seems their #1 asset right now is Talking Smack in that regard. I fully expect WWE's current signing strategy to die on the vine in a year or less.

Somehow, I don't think money would be so much an issue if anyone were satisfied with the company's creative direction. Top guys are jumping ship, but so is ACH. If they can make their talent happy they can point to NXT's bloated roster and make a case for why they have a better chance at a profile in ROH.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 10, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I said all long that the key to making me a consistent WWE Network subscriber was doing stand alone tournaments and stuff that offered something different like the CWC and UK tournament, so I don't want to criticize them. But its the difference between doing a tournament that uses some of your talent and a bunch of guys brought in for short terms and picking up a couple of dozen new talents every month or two like WWE is doing and then creating new brands/shows to give them somewhere to wrestle.

I have no idea what WWE's money is so I have no idea how long they can keep NXT gong like it is or expand a UK show or whatever. But there has to be a breaking point unless Network numbers are jumping. And odds are that will get all muddied anyway since its once again WM season so the Network numbers are all going to get inflated by people like me who sign up for 1-2 months with no intention of sticking around.

And yeah, ROH's first priority should be making sure their existing talent is happy and satisfied. You can only do so much with money but you can control the locker room culture or how people are booked. That's why actively sabotaging wrestlers would be a terrible move since it would just poison that culture and give people reason to run away from ROH. If WWE is signing people from all over the place than why sign with ROH who don't have any special exposure and will make it more difficult for you if you get a call from WWE than Evolve or whoever will?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not even sure how ROH/sinclair could enforce a matching clause. if I was WWE, I'd force arbitration just to see what shakes loose.

I think its more than likely Kyle's picked up a fuckton of head trauma and WWE can't safely use him as a talent. There were some hints that Kyle may be having to deal with some "personal stuff" or whatever the last Rovert update was.

coconono fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 10, 2017

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Lol if I was the WWE I would most certainly not legally challenge another wrestling companies contracts, especially over Kyle O'Reilly.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I would because Kyle rules. I also now very much hope Kyle is ok and doesn't have a noggin full of goo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
ROH needs to do something worthwhile if they want to continue to survive. You'd think that having open partnerships with CMLL and NJPW would make them become the super-indy alternative in the US but their roster sucks and since Steen/Generico left the company I haven't been that enthralled with anything they've been putting out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

notable aside on the opening of observer radio this morning about wwe treading carefully when it comes to potential antitrust lawsuits

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RealFoxy posted:

ROH needs to do something worthwhile if they want to continue to survive. You'd think that having open partnerships with CMLL and NJPW would make them become the super-indy alternative in the US but their roster sucks and since Steen/Generico left the company I haven't been that enthralled with anything they've been putting out.

ROH tried to treat Bullet Club like an evil invading faction for a minute but it fell apart because BC is beloved by wrestling nerds.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hasn't ROH historically had lots of trouble with having babyfaces in general? It feels like they're the last company that could actually pull off an outsider invasion unless it involved like, John Cena.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Hasn't ROH historically had lots of trouble with having babyfaces in general? It feels like they're the last company that could actually pull off an outsider invasion unless it involved like, John Cena.

The first statement is sorta true, but the CZW invasion of ROH is considered a high point by lots of people. It was well booked, I'd even go so far as to say that, after the nWo, it's the best invasion angle ever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The first statement is sorta true, but the CZW invasion of ROH is considered a high point by lots of people. It was well booked.

the ROH part anyway. CZW's side was a complete mess because Zandig didn't understand how an invasion was supposed to work.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

the ROH part anyway. CZW's side was a complete mess because Zandig didn't understand how an invasion was supposed to work.

Fair enough, but it's not ROH's fault Zandig fired his best booker and made a mess of the situation. Even then, you had Danielson coming in and riling up the CZW fans really well.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

on a simialr note Matt Hardy worked really loving well as an invader heel during his shortish recent stint

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

on a simialr note Matt Hardy worked really loving well as an invader heel during his shortish recent stint

The disappointment of TNA remaining alive is that I feel that the Hardy's doing a long term involvement with ROH would be a real shot in the arm for both the Hardy's (a long term thing between them and The Briscoes would be money) as well as ROH's interest level and attendance.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Thauros posted:

I was actually going to say Matt Hardy but his 2016 changed things to the point where if the Hardy family invaded ROH I don't know if there's anyone crowds would want to see beat them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I was actually going to say Matt Hardy but his 2016 changed things to the point where if the Hardy family invaded ROH I don't know if there's anyone crowds would want to see beat them.

Which is why I'd want long-term involvement where they just use them as faces. I don't think Sinclair would pay them the money they'd probably want, though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Christopher Daniels is gonna win a world title :unsmith:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/KORcombat/status/820305992114143232

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
I bet the latest developments between Kyle and ROH is a work just like the deal with New Japan and Kenny Omega. Kyle tweets out something similar to what Omega tweeted out about needing time off. Kyle will take a break and then return with a huge angle just like with Omega and New Japan.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

*Kyle debuts on NXT*

"Its still an angle. Just a real deep work."

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
If that is the case then ROH is loving stupid cutting the legs out from under Kyle only to give loving Cole a third title run.

Cole should get that big lump on his head checked out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I'm not sure how ROH making Kyle the only dude to not defend the title translates to him re-signing with the company, but hey maybe Kyle is a big dum dum

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how ROH making Kyle the only dude to not defend the title translates to him re-signing with the company, but hey maybe Kyle is a big dum dum

It's a work like when Pillman left WCW

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Kyle's situation and that of a few others is a bit of a hot potato currently. Sit tight for a few weeks. Hope someone takes the bullet and talks about it soon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/ECCW/status/820528988426629120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Congratulations to Kyle O'Reilly on signing his exclusive contract with ECCW!

• Locked thread