Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I asked PTN about that one a couple turns back:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=136166&perpage=40&pagenumber=178#post467535313

So blow off a leg, or blow off all the guns (first), and then after that happens completely destroy it. So the Hellbringer would count, but that would be totally counterproductive because you get 10% for leaving a crippled enemy officer alive.

I think the Crimson Langur would count- It got legged by the Wraiths, and so it's crippled, but not totally destroyed. Southern Star should be able to totally obliterate it while they head north to deal with that Mad Dog that's between them and the northern group.

(If/when you do open fire on it though, it, and any other legged but still otherwise functional mechs will probably try and prop themselves up with an arm and start shooting again though- So might want to be careful with this one)

What about the now limbless firemoth?

E: Ah, the CT on that is also gone, didn't see that. It's super dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
The boys and I are going to work on that Langur next turn, so don't feel like y'all have to.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

It looks like Alpha Legion in those pics. But yeah, it looks a LOT better in the second set of the pics than the first. Crazy.

I think you mean Alpha Legion looks like them. 2nd Donegal is OG.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Hmm, I see. Thank you, but :saddowns:.

Niacin posted:

The boys and I are going to work on that Langur next turn, so don't feel like y'all have to.

Alrighty then. Not like I have much choice, of course, with trees and elevation blocking the Timberwolf as it moves up. I'll try for a shot at the Mad Dog D, and maybe the Black Lanner B as a Hail Mary (assuming it's even in range, which I think it just barely will be).

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Pouncer mood: gungho

Orders in, jumping to 1733 and giving the mad dog a PPC.
And switching off my targeting computer, I doubt it will necessary any longer.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Trust in the force Luke.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

LegendairyBovine posted:

Trust in the drugs Luke.

fixed

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Midichlorians Duke.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Midichlorians Duke.

The colors, Duke, the colors!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Necrosia, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

"We can't stop here, this is Widowmaker country!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's not going to be Widowmaker country much longer. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zaodai posted:

It's not going to be Widowmaker country much longer. :colbert:

That's why you can't stop to pick up hitchhikers, obviously. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder that orders are due tonight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Speaking of, orders in. Not liking the movement options for going north with that Mad Dog D up there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EponymousMrYar posted:

Speaking of, orders in. Not liking the movement options for going north with that Mad Dog D up there.

You could.. Hm, go forward to 1426, then turn and go to 1526, that would get you a +2 defensive mod and put you at medium range for every weapon the Mad Dog has except his ERLL.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just an FYI, I had a very rough night last night. I'm still planning on getting the update done, I'll let you know if that plan changes, but I'm going to be more error prone today than usual I think.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The weeks after the holidays are always the hardest, no one is going to blame you for not doing an update if you don't feel up to it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You guys realize that 5 tons of Elementals isn't going to have any trouble crossing ice that can (usually) support 100 ton BattleMechs, right?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 8, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You guys realize that 5 tons of Elementals isn't going to have any trouble crossing ice that can (usually) support 100 ton BattleMechs, right?

Well, it is the holiday season. They might have put on some weight and just don't want to admit it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder what's the difference in ground pressure in actual math between mech feet and elemental boots.

Probably completely insane values.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

My mech moves faster than my wraiths.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'm not going to get this done.

I need to shut all the lights off and lay down for a bit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes Pops do that.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sleep tight, don't let bed elementals bite.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rest well.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
PTN,

A quick reminder: Your fiction has been giving me and others here 15 mins of escape from stress for years now. There were times when I was so busy all I did to relax in a day was read a battletech update while I ate.

You have an incredible talent for creating compelling characters, even within the confines of 4 paragraphs. I have no notion of how you do this in your free time around a game of internet fighting robots. That game has somehow been making my life a little easier for years.

So if you need rest, please take it with sincere thanks from me and, I'm sure, a lot of other people here.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Centurium posted:

PTN,

A quick reminder: Your fiction has been giving me and others here 15 mins of escape from stress for years now. There were times when I was so busy all I did to relax in a day was read a battletech update while I ate.

You have an incredible talent for creating compelling characters, even within the confines of 4 paragraphs. I have no notion of how you do this in your free time around a game of internet fighting robots. That game has somehow been making my life a little easier for years.

So if you need rest, please take it with sincere thanks from me and, I'm sure, a lot of other people here.

^^^

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. If you need to take a break to recharge your mental batteries or fight off whatever funk nature has assaulted your body with, then by all means, take that time out and get the rest you need. We can wait on the latest update of Giant Robit Shootmans.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Centurium posted:

. . . So if you need rest, please take it with sincere thanks from me and, I'm sure, a lot of other people here.

Hear, Hear!

I've been lurking this thread for years, mostly from work. In fact, I subscribed to these forums specifically for this game!

For all the years of free entertainment you've given me (us), thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hope you're doing okay; if you need anything, please let us know. Perhaps there is something we can do; the combined power and goodwill of us forum dwellers should not be underestimated. (smile)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wednesdays and Sundays are my favorite days of the week :shobon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, Warhansa just released the PGI Kodiak, Marauder, Archer, and Cyclops all at once, so I'm going to be picking all of those up so I can paint a Kodiak and then do a lance of War Wolf's Dragoons in their post-Civil War blue and gold.

I'll be one `Mech short for the Dragoon lance, and figured I'd let you tell me which `Mech I should nab as the 4th. Choices are (in no particular order):
- Rifleman
- Phoenix Hawk (I'm not a fan of the sculpt)
- Warhammer (I'd paint another)
- Mauler
- Atlas (I'd paint another)
- Urbanmech (kidding, I'm getting this anyway)

I suppose you could also tell me to get a Dervish, Vindicator, Jagermech, Trebuchet, or Blackjack too, but I'd ignore you because I hate all of them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, Warhansa just released the PGI Kodiak, Marauder, Archer, and Cyclops all at once, so I'm going to be picking all of those up so I can paint a Kodiak and then do a lance of War Wolf's Dragoons in their post-Civil War blue and gold.

I'll be one `Mech short for the Dragoon lance, and figured I'd let you tell me which `Mech I should nab as the 4th. Choices are (in no particular order):
- Rifleman
- Mauler

I suppose you could also tell me to get a Dervish, Vindicator, Jagermech, Trebuchet, or Blackjack too, but I'd ignore you because I hate all of them.

It's too bad no one ever re-does the Dragoon designed Inner Sphere 'mechs like the Marauder II or Imp. Or even a Wolfhound!

But of the ones we can pick from, might as well go Rifleman for old Gentleman Johnny Clavell!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

My favorite rifleman was always the IIC with its goofy radar dish but I've always had a soft spot for the mauler. that being said, IDK how the pgi versions look really

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
The magical d6 of choosing saaaaaaaays... Warhammer. Welp, can't argue with that, especially since the Warhammer was my favorite 'Mech growing up as a kid, ever since my first exposure to the series through old floppies I had of Mechwarrior and Crescent Hawk's Revenge.

Speaking of which, the Warhammer is one of my fav re-redesigns they've put out recently. Not the Project Phoenix, but the 2015 versions they've been doing for all the Unseen so they can finally put that whole issue with Harmony Gold and the Macross designs to bed.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 11, 2017

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Seconding the Rifleman.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

My favorite rifleman was always the IIC with its goofy radar dish but I've always had a soft spot for the mauler. that being said, IDK how the pgi versions look really

I'm not a huge fan of the redesign, but Warhansa's tweaked it enough (namely: by giving it round gunbarrels) that I don't outright hate it. The only worrysome thing is that the sensor bar is a separate piece which slightly increases the odds it'll get broken in shipping.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I do like the Mauler, both from a build /weapons loadout point of view, and the cool chunky looks + huge missile shoulders.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have a soft spot for the 'bucket for no particular reason, but I think the real answer is this:

Get a second urbie, and paint them up like brothers. Similiar paintjob, eyes, reversed color-patterning - or an 'i'm with stupid =>' arrow stenciled on the back.
One for each leg to tackle on bigger mechs, you know?

Something dumb like that. Endearing yet adorkable.

If you haven't seen how commoners(MWO) has painted his urbies, its definitely worth asking/inquiring about - the decals making faces on both the front and the back so you can't tell which way the mech is facing with 360 torso twist is hilarious.

Yes, these are front and back shots. Note the guns.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 11, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now I want to make/play a game with a Mauler IIC, except with a huge pile of AP Gauss rifles instead of the torso autocannons, and an XL360 for 4/6 action because faster is better.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just an FYI: one of these sets of contingency order styles will annoy me just a little bit. See if you can figure out which one I don't like and why.

Shoot [target]
if [target is dead] shoot [other target]
if [other target is dead] shoot [third target]

if [target] is dead and [other target] is untargetable, shoot [third target]
else if [target is dead] and [other target] is targetable shoot [other target]
otherwise shoot [target]

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

- Rifleman
- Mauler

Wooo Kodiak!

I vote you get another Atlas, and then kitbash an Atlas III King Atlas out of it. :v:

• Locked thread