Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I heard but I'm not even looking. gently caress it. I have avs off anyway because that poo poo's annoying. An admin doxxed the credit card that bought my account and my IP info and is passing it around on offsites because they're mad at some person I'm not who was apparently getting them salty before I had so much as a facebook account. I get a pm inbox full of rape and death threats and gore but it's not actionable because "you can't prove anything." I'm not putting my own money into this shithole.

"Don't take the bait." gently caress all of you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

No mods or admins have access to your credit card information, or any other user's. I just want to make sure everyone knows this. We do not see this information at all ever. It is not associated with your account. There are actual federal regulations dealing with how CC information is handled.

negromancer posted:

As someone who worked at Steadfast (where the servers for this site are housed), that isn't true at all.

Subjunctive posted:

How would the hosting provider know? Are they looking at private customer data?

negromancer posted:

Because

a) the actual factual servers are there
b) places like steadfast do more than just swap out hard drives. It was expected to do pretty much whatever was asked by the customers, and the concept of within reason hadn't made it to this company.
c) I work in information security and I'm not an idiot and know more about PCI-DSS and CC processing regulatory stuff than most, considering a former boss helped write the poo poo.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

older/cheaper rokus (the cheaper rokus often being the old hardware packaged in a newer case) are too slow or missing codec support to handle all the services the newer/more expensive rokus do. so they only get access to a limited subset of the choices.

if you really wanted to, you can force in access with some weird hack poo poo, since some of the channels do actually work even though Roku themselves won't support them on the older/cheaper device. but that's a bunch of hassle

the original roku box in my spare bedroom works great with netflix + plex after all of these years and i think that's pretty drat good for a device that came out in 2008

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

just want to point out that tiny brontosaurus is legitimately a good poster who is constantly harassed because she calls out racist posts. that it's escalated to people doxxing her is horrible and it is an irl secfuck that the moderation here doesn't give a poo poo at all because she calls them out on their poo poo too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

just want to point out that tiny brontosaurus is legitimately a good poster who is constantly harassed because she calls out racist posts. that it's escalated to people doxxing her is horrible and it is an irl secfuck that the moderation here doesn't give a poo poo at all because she calls them out on their poo poo too.

yeah idk how much of that particular story is accurate but they're a Good Poster (tm) and seem to get poo poo on quite a lot and it's a shame :sigh:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

oh. it wasn't directed their way. i'm more interested in seeing what comes out of this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OSI bean dip posted:

oh. it wasn't directed their way. i'm more interested in seeing what comes out of this

agreed. a goon class-action suit due to mishandling of credit card data would be peak schadenfreude.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah idk how much of that particular story is accurate but they're a Good Poster (tm) and seem to get poo poo on quite a lot and it's a shame :sigh:

christ that's a heartbreaking rap sheet

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tiny brontosaurus is cool

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powaqoatse posted:

this is good and true

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Powaqoatse posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TINY BRONTOSAURUS CURES PRIVILEGE

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zdTSaPs4U8

crosspostin' from yosmas thread because it's highly relevant

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
the western digital tv live i got for my wife a few years ago has been great adn still works fine for anything that is not h.265 video, it does the big services (netflix/hulu/pandora) and has a NFS client to connect to linux file servers :)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
this is getting interesting

negromancer posted:

Everyone I've ever met who worked at hosting providers with explicit rules to not look at customer data still constantly looked at customer data.

Especially if the customer is losing their poo poo about something being hosed up on the server and threatening to leave. The higher ups would tell you "just log in as root and fix it".

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, then who has access to it? Because I sure as poo poo don't.

Literally any steadfast employee has root access, on top of anyone who may have written down passwords or created user accounts on the servers themselves (lol if you think they do password rotations on every server). And of course whoever Lowtax has given access to.

FactsAreUseless posted:

So Steadfast has access to it? If you think credit card info isn't secure, tell Lowtax. Either way it's not something the mods and admins can find.

I'm not getting paid to do that, so no.

Subjunctive posted:

Is that a "yes"? Did you look at the server contents?

Maybe. I don't remember every ticket I did for Lowtax, but I feel like I've actually done something on the load balancers at one point.

Doc Hawkins posted:

No one thinks you're an idiot, people just aren't sure what you're claiming, including me. The easiest way to get PCI 3 is to just use a payment processor and not store the payment card information yourself. But the billing address isn't covered, so you could store that, and it could be recoverable from the service anyway (at least it was at the one I worked at). So are you saying that a steadfast employee, having physical access to the servers, could eventually get read access to databases running on them, including any stored billing addresses? And they would do this if a customer asked them to? Wouldn't the customer already have remote access anyway? And what does this have to do with mods?

Yes, and they don't use a direct payment processor. Data is still retained by Lowtax (for accounting purposes). And 2 years ago the CDE was not separated properly from the rest of the environment, so...

The first rule of internet security is physical access is full access. And the reasons why we would log into customers servers is because most hosting customers are dumb as the gently caress. They forget passwords, wipe out data, gently caress up configs, etc

negromancer posted:

zen death robot posted:

Negromancer you are painfully full of poo poo and I already called you out on this once. gently caress off before I ban you for spreading bullshit info to scare people.

Oh so I didn't work at Steadfast?

Ok.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

219 extension :krad:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
nintendo left the data lines on the nes classic usb power connector wired up so you can just dump the roms and load your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5PnvEXUBu4

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
FactsAreUseless is saying "nobody on SA has access to your credit card info"

negromancer is saying "that's not true because I work at the hosting provider for SA and therefore have access"

am I getting this right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

this is getting interesting
:words:

I distinctly remember something about SA keeping around CC information as a unique identifier to make sure people wouldn't be able to get around permabans.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Segmentation Fault posted:

negromancer is saying "that's not true because I work at the hosting provider for SA and therefore have access"

am I getting this right?

technically "I worked at the hosting provider so I know that FAU is lying"

why would lowtax retain CC info for accounting purposes? what does logging into the load balancer tell you about CC retention? that thread is very confusing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Segmentation Fault posted:

am I getting this right?

he's saying that he has access and so knows all the data is there, and therefore also knows that lowtax and anyone lowtax grants access to can also see all the data.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

I distinctly remember something about SA keeping around CC information as a unique identifier to make sure people wouldn't be able to get around permabans.

you don't have to keep usable CC info for that

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up, I have never seen anybody's full CC information, much less ever stored it for "accounting purposes" you lying idiot.

quote:

Actually you know what? Call this cumulative for the constantly bad posting every time I see you post all the time, all the insane D&D poo poo, but especially for telling people that their CC info isn't secure here. If you don't want to post here, don't. Stop pretending you're important or special with your ~~~secret knowledge~~~. If you re-reg, and I don't encourage it, I'd better see you post differently.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also it seems like FAU could be technically correct if he means literal CC #s but also have it be possible for name+zip to be accessible by someone other than lowtax

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
years and years and years ago there was a claim that fistgrrl was keeping track of registrations using credit card numbers to see if anyone who's not supposed to come back does

that is where the rumours stem from

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
negromancer's last ban is for trying to whitewash a black goon over political reasons so this guy is super good

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

b&

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Even lowtax's comment that he's never seen "full" CC info doesn't contradict TB's concern (afaik) that someone leaked her name+zip.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

Even lowtax's comment that he's never seen "full" CC info doesn't contradict TB's concern (afaik) that someone leaked her name+zip.

it does contradict negromancer's assertions that the full data is kept, for "accounting reasons"

as though any decent accountant isn't going to have a full on grand mal when you give them a USB key labeled "CUSTOMER CC DATA" for your return

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zen death robot posted:

He did not. I know he tried to run a bunch of SQL injection hacks against the site and claimed it was part of his regular job duties and unless someone at SA had requested it then I can assure you that it was not.

:eyepop:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

fistgrrl and one other admin back in the day would manually add user accounts when credit card transactions went through, so would have some level of insight on the payment method (don't think it was really the credit card number though, probably just names and addresses if anything). that was a long rear end time ago and there's been several different payment systems in use since then.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:eyepop:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

:wow:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

you don't have to keep usable CC info for that

I know that. My rebuttal would be: but radium

But it's probably just a rumor.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you have lost your trees but the credit card forest still stands

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

imagine i crossposted everything i said in that thread here

it's not outside the realm of possibility that a small hosting provider would ask their sysadmin to check their customers for known exploits on vbulletin or its variants

the wording isn't clear, but we won't get a discussion out of it if fau bans the other party instead of letting the discussion continue

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah that's my favorite part too, mostly because I know a few turbonerds who do the same poo poo

actually some of them are the same people i mentioned looking at customer data while working for hosting providers, maybe hosting providers just attract horrible people?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a hosting provider that tries sql injection against a client's software without consent or even notice is pretty hosed up, even by the generous standard of hosting fuckups

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah that's my favorite part too, mostly because I know a few turbonerds who do the same poo poo

actually some of them are the same people i mentioned looking at customer data while working for hosting providers, maybe hosting providers just attract horrible people?

I can see if I was stuck working at a hosting provider I would start poking around to see what I could get away with because I would hate my boss my clients and myself that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

a hosting provider that tries sql injection against a client's software without consent or even notice is pretty hosed up, even by the generous standard of hosting fuckups

my last company's provider did this all the time, mostly because the guy that owned the provider was very full of himself and proudly displayed CERTIFIED ETHICAL HACKER as his job title on all his stuff

he was hilariously incompetent though and also an outright scammer - "of course you need this $75,000 bespoke storage server solution that only I am allowed to admin," "of course you need a direct leased fiber connection between your office and mine to serve you internet because VPN's are unsafe" etc. CEO was best friends with him and bought his poo poo all the time without question too.

• Locked thread