Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Losing your business franchise after going on racist tirades to customers and then publicly defending your actions probably counts as bad with money.

quote:

The officer later detailed what Crichton told him in a police report...[Crighton] did not deny what Ford had said:

“Crichton boastfully told me he would be happy to go to jail over the issue and proudly admitted to calling Ford a n——. He added that he is ‘fed up with black people...During the course of my conversation with Crichton, he used the word ‘n—–‘ freely to describe black people,” the officer continued.

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

Hah, you thought you could talk about actual race issues on SA, that's funny.

News flash, embracing typical urban black culture is bad with money. No lovely biotruths, just cultural differences not conducive to getting ahead in America today, which are very similar to rural white issues. As always, being bwm is relative and coming from the wrong background is hazardous to your finances.

I'm quite sure this will go unpunished.

It's almost like SA is a microcosm of the USA.

Koalas March posted:

Please tell me what typical black urban culture is.

I'm sure it involves sagging pants.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm pretty sure not realizing that you're stuck negotiating while black and playing aggressive like a white guy can counts as pretty bad with money. Good way to find out you aren't a good culture fit.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

I'm pretty sure not realizing that you're stuck negotiating while black and playing aggressive like a white guy can counts as pretty bad with money. Good way to find out you aren't a good culture fit.

Yes, it is the black person at fault here for the racism of white people, because how dare a black person embrace their culture.

Also, what you're saying is false, so there's that as well.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Regardless of race, people are just raised to not ask for what they want to be paid instead of what they will be given. P lovely that we do that really. The negotiation thread is chock full of people succeeding in breaking from that mold.

Yeah, but when people negotiate hard, some of them are treated like go-getters who know what they're worth, and others are treated as unpleasantly "uppity," "fiery," or "bitchy."

In the interest of avoiding probation, I will just say that this is an interesting but clearly inexplicable problem not tied to any other social issues of perception at all. Some people are just born lucky, I guess.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This forum :cripes:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

negromancer posted:

Yes, it is the black person at fault here for the racism of white people, because how dare a black person embrace their culture.

Also, what you're saying is false, so there's that as well.

This derail is loving awful, but this is a pretty funny post/av combo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

How dare black people talk about how institutionalized racism effects their income in a thread about managing money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

When I was debating how much to spend to save our dog (probable liver failure, it was messy) I visited some pet enthusiast web forums where people were spending absolutely obscene amounts of money keeping their dogs and cats alive while usually acknowledging they were now broke.

One lady complained about how pet health insurance is so much cheaper in Britain than in America. I have no idea why that'd be the case unless Brits are less likely to bankrupt themselves to save their Corgi's.
From a couple pages ago, but I'd absolutely bank on it being a cultural difference. One thing driving up human healthcare costs is people who refuse to let grandma die, even though she's effectively a corpse & needs brutal and invasive treatment to prevent her from legally becoming a corpse. Meanwhile, Britain appararently has more of a "the doctor gives you these options to pick from, and won't suggest futile treatment" culture.

I wouldn't be surprised if people carried the same attitudes over to their pets. Refusing to accept imminent death is BWM, and also BWL since you're dragging the grieving process out longer.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

From a couple pages ago, but I'd absolutely bank on it being a cultural difference. One thing driving up human healthcare costs is people who refuse to let grandma die, even though she's effectively a corpse & needs brutal and invasive treatment to prevent her from legally becoming a corpse. Meanwhile, Britain appararently has more of a "the doctor gives you these options to pick from, and won't suggest futile treatment" culture.

I wouldn't be surprised if people carried the same attitudes over to their pets. Refusing to accept imminent death is BWM, and also BWL since you're dragging the grieving process out longer.

And Americans see the NHS system as effectively death panels because the government is interfering with your rights to tell your doctor to max out your insurance and raise everyone's premiums on dragging out your EOL care instead of accepting that it is what it is.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like it or not, rural white hicks are statistically people who are bad with money, the numbers just kind of bear that out (except for the occasional high-income farmer). Their culture does not tend towards aspiring to high income jobs (value hard labor and an honest days wage), and the resources and role models available to them aren't always the best. Their accent and attitudes alone can be a hindrance in the modern workplace.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

baquerd posted:

Like it or not, rural white hicks are statistically people who are bad with money, the numbers just kind of bear that out (except for the occasional high-income farmer). Their culture does not tend towards aspiring to high income jobs (value hard labor and an honest days wage), and the resources and role models available to them aren't always the best. Their accent and attitudes alone can be a hindrance in the modern workplace.

See guys, he's not racist, he's grossly elitist toward everybody.

Jesus christ dude.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trillian posted:

See guys, he's not racist, he's grossly elitist toward everybody.

Jesus christ dude.

Show me on the doll where the statistics touched you?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm not prejudiced or anything I've just never met a vocal racist that wasn't terrible at math :heritage:

e. whats do you guys have against statistikkks anyways

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 10, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TURN AROUND THREAD NOOOO

SAVE US HORSECHAT
http://www.lindaparellimasterclassnh.com/index.php/

Linda Parelli is the wife of Pat Parelli of horsey pyramid scheme fame. She is best known for a video of abusing the poo poo out of a one-eyed horse during one of her clinics*. But she's out to prove she can sucker money out of horse crazies as well!

quote:

Would you like to spend three days with Linda Parelli? Would you like to be coached by LInda with your very own horse? This is a unique opportunity for students in the northeast to learn, be coached and inspired by an inspirational leader who understands life from both the horse and rider's point of view.
Sounds great, how much would it cost to hang out with this lady?

quote:

Riders $2,500

Must be a Level 3 Parelli Graduate or above, showing your Level 3 Certificate and your horse must be able to complete all of the Level 3 check off list tasks located on the Parelli Site.

3 full days with Linda

Dinner with Linda Friday and Saturday.

***Meals, Stalls and camping additional cost.

Most clinics with actual real horse trainers cost less than $50 to audit (watch but not participate), but not Linda's!

quote:

VIP Experience $500

VIP Experience includes:

VIP Parking

VIP Seating

VIP Dinner with Linda Friday and Saturday Evening

Limited to 25 VIP - First Come, First Serve.

Gallery $250

This is a fantastic opportunity to learn from one of the leading Natural Horsemanship educators. Bring your notebook to fill with lots and lots of valuable information. Live the dream as you spend 3 full intense days with Master Teacher and Horsewoman Linda Parelli.

And of course because they're the loving Parellis:

quote:

If you sign up 10 auditors (excluding VIP), get $500 off. All 10 must be signed up and money attached with application. Clinic limited to 12 riders.

What a deal!

*The original video was taken down due to a copyright claim, so have this clip featuring some excellent commentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMuVVMXNUQ&t=66s
No horse should EVER be snapped in the face like that, let alone one who is blind to one side. So not only is she suckering people's money, she's harming horses and teaching her students the same.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 10, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Literally rather talk about horses than black people.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Literally rather talk about horses than black people.

You'll do more time in jail killing animals than you will black people, so there's that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had a cousin-in-law spend $60 on a single commemorative White Sox goblet for themselves for Christmas because they got sad the Cubs won. Their own mother called them out on it as the reason they never have any money.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Horse Lease Chat!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/5ff2sq/leasefree_leasebuy_advice_needed/

quote:

So here’s where we are today: we want to continue to have access to this horse but it isn’t clear if the owner will sell. What seems to be proposed is more or less a free lease where we’d pay for basically everything but not own the animal.

:horse:

I feel like this didn't get the attention it deserved on the last page.

edit: Aaaand the top-voted response begins:

quote:

Basically yes, a free lease is fairly common.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

baquerd posted:

With that last sentence you almost stumbled your way into understanding part of why the white working class tends not to succeed in white collar environments.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Working in rural VT and NH I never heard as much N words and talk about illegals as I did ever working in the south in rural areas. And half of them had only seen like one black person in their life.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
All this talk of hicks I thought I'd see if there was some BWM that I could find. Things really worked out for Pamela Anderson.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/pamela-anderson-im-living-in-a-trailer-237677

quote:

“The boys and me love the trailer park, it’s a special community, we’re happy here,” she says. “It’s the most beautiful place, it’s where I take my motorcycle, my surf board.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Devian666 posted:

All this talk of hicks I thought I'd see if there was some BWM that I could find. Things really worked out for Pamela Anderson.

One of my friends almost rented a room in a mobile home park in Malibu when he was going to grad school down there. Apparently it's fairly common for entertainment folks to live in these places. Minnie Driver would've been his door neighbor. Perhaps when you're living on set for most of the year you don't want to burn money on a mansion?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

negromancer posted:

I'm sure it involves sagging pants.

Sagging pants are terrible no matter who wears them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BeastOfExmoor posted:

One of my friends almost rented a room in a mobile home park in Malibu when he was going to grad school down there. Apparently it's fairly common for entertainment folks to live in these places. Minnie Driver would've been his door neighbor. Perhaps when you're living on set for most of the year you don't want to burn money on a mansion?

Yeah. A handful of pro baseball players do too for pretty much the same reason.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/cactus-league/2016/02/25/arizona-diamondbacks-andrew-chafin-happy-rv-park/80923674/

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

An RV? Who has that kind of money...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I love that guy.

quote:

This is his favorite beach in Florida, a 25-foot stretch of sand separated from the road by a line of palm trees, a place so public that nobody else seems to notice it. The traffic cruises by on the causeway at 50 miles an hour, and he has the beach to himself. He comes here to paddleboard, to read and to journal. Once, after a morning in the water, he returned to the beach and fell asleep on his surfboard. A few hours later, he felt the cold chill of water on his foot and awoke to see that the tide had risen and swept him back out into the ocean on his board. He was quite a distance from shore, out there by himself, disoriented and scared. "That was one of the best moments of my life," he says.

I wish I was that good with money.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The amount of saltiness is this thread is ridiculous.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5n0jmt/saying_i_dont_want_to_save_i_want_to_live_life/

quote:

I don't care if I die a penniless pauper. My financial state when I die is literally the least of my concerns.

If I die, it doesn't matter at all.

Ok if you enjoy dying in the streets?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

Working in rural VT and NH I never heard as much N words and talk about illegals as I did ever working in the south in rural areas. And half of them had only seen like one black person in their life.

Holy loving poo poo Vermont racists. My wife's cousin is living with us in the Deep South and she has a Black boyfriend. When her Vermont father found out his first three questions were, "does he have a job?", "does he wear saggy pants?", and "does he know who his father is?"

Two summers ago my daughter visited her aunt and cousins and they sent back a picture of her wearing Confederate flag sunglasses. They claim they like that flag - not because they're racists, but they're fans of the Dukes of Hazzard.

To get us back on topic, this aunt has borrowed money from everyone in the family for 20 years and the moment her husband had a steady paying job decided to buy a huge truck, the house next to them, and a boat. Their son is starting college this Fall so of course the first thing you do is completely max out your finances at the same time you increase your family income past the point of any financial aid.

They've also at various times owned 20 dogs. They do not breed dogs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Holy loving poo poo Vermont racists. My wife's cousin is living with us in the Deep South and she has a Black boyfriend. When her Vermont father found out his first three questions were, "does he have a job?", "does he wear saggy pants?", and "does he know who his father is?"

Two summers ago my daughter visited her aunt and cousins and they sent back a picture of her wearing Confederate flag sunglasses. They claim they like that flag - not because they're racists, but they're fans of the Dukes of Hazzard.

To get us back on topic, this aunt has borrowed money from everyone in the family for 20 years and the moment her husband had a steady paying job decided to buy a huge truck, the house next to them, and a boat. Their son is starting college this Fall so of course the first thing you do is completely max out your finances at the same time you increase your family income past the point of any financial aid.

They've also at various times owned 20 dogs. They do not breed dogs.

Did they sell their current house or did they buy the second house just to keep all the dogs and boat in

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

Did they sell their current house or did they buy the second house just to keep all the dogs and boat in

The land used to belong to her grandparents. When they passed away some land got divided and developed and she bought the original house for super cheap and then proceeded to refinance via crooked appraisals until the mortgage was easily twice what the property was worth.

They've had right-of-way problems with the other sister properties so when one got foreclosed on they purchased it as an investment. Keep in mind maybe 3 months prior they had tried to get my father-in-law's maple syrup sugaring money from his gun safe while he was out hunting because they were so broke.

poo poo, add something about heroin and that would have been the most Vermont sentence ever.

The dogs are all dead and the boat isn't that big. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still hiding my brother-in-law's parents' 5th wheel RV from the repo men on that new property though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vermont racists are pretty bad.

My high school was a mixture of Vermont Racists and New Hampshire Racists (we called them hicks) as it was a school serving 4 counties and on the line between the two states. It wasn't unusual to see a Confederate flag on a truck.

One kid had the top of his jeep painted with the flag and the school still let him park there and everything. It wasn't unusual for people to bring guns to school either, in fact it was a usual thing.

The sad thing is we don't even have a sport sprogram (schools up there couldn't afford the insurance for football so no football program). Instead the schools had lots of forestry and farming programs, and the kids in those classes got the Football treatment.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Empress Brosephine posted:

Instead the schools had lots of forestry and farming programs, and the kids in those classes got the Football treatment.

What's the Football treatment? Like they were the most popular, or got injured all the time?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What's the Football treatment? Like they were the most popular, or got injured all the time?

I prefer to believe that they had a coach yelling at them to PLANT THOSE drat SAPLINGS FASTER YOU'LL NEVER GET A SCHOLARSHIP AT THIS RATE

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I heard but I'm not even looking. gently caress it. I have avs off anyway because that poo poo's annoying. An admin doxxed the credit card that bought my account and my IP info and is passing it around on offsites because they're mad at some person I'm not who was apparently getting them salty before I had so much as a facebook account. I get a pm inbox full of rape and death threats and gore but it's not actionable because "you can't prove anything." I'm not putting my own money into this shithole.

"Don't take the bait." gently caress all of you.
No mods or admins have access to your credit card information, or any other user's. I just want to make sure everyone knows this. We do not see this information at all ever. It is not associated with your account. There are actual federal regulations dealing with how CC information is handled.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Probably blowjobs under the Forestry bleachers. Those boys who lettered in Forestry got all the ladies.

The irony is it's probably as difficult to get Forestry or Warden jobs as it is to get into college sports. Both of my nephews want to go that route and their mom is still delusional that they'll get a nearby spot in New England instead of somewhere in bumfuck Wyoming.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

No mods or admins have access to your credit card information, or any other user's. I just want to make sure everyone knows this. We do not see this information at all ever. It is not associated with your account. There are actual federal regulations dealing with how CC information is handled.

Are you saying Something Awful Dot Com LLC is actually PCI compliant??? :aaaaa:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It is really bwm to take cc but not be PCI compliant.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lowtax handles it all, but IIRC we work with a CC processing company, I don't know who though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Krispy Kareem posted:

irony is it's probably as difficult to get Forestry or Warden jobs as it is to get into college sports. Both of my nephews want to go that route and their mom is still delusional that they'll get a nearby spot in New England instead of somewhere in bumfuck Wyoming.

Kinda related, I have a friend who became a Washington State forest ranger and it was a terrible job. It was to be expected that his first posting was in the middle of nowhere, which is fair, but the pay was atrocious and he kept getting furloughed and rehired.

He eventually got fed up and became a resort island cop and probably makes triple the ranger pay. I dunno how the state expects retain any quality rangers, one of his coworkers was sleazy and was fired for stealing a break room fridge.

• Locked thread