Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just dropped $500 on gear at Jerry's. I'm officially pot-committed.

The sales guy was great helping me go through my options and making sure I tried everything on. It's mostly bottom of the barrel stuff except for the pants, which I splurged for much better padding. I figure my rear end will thank me for forking over a few extra bucks.

Except for my shoulder pads, which I got on super clearance, I'm a walking advertisement for Bauer's lowest end stuff and it's been totally fine so far. Granted it's been less than a year, but other than gloves I'm not sure I see myself needing much better gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

z0331 posted:

Except for my shoulder pads, which I got on super clearance, I'm a walking advertisement for Bauer's lowest end stuff and it's been totally fine so far. Granted it's been less than a year, but other than gloves I'm not sure I see myself needing much better gear.

You're pretty much right. If you're not going beyond the low sections of the beer league you'll only have to replace as needed.

Edit: Just remember that helmets have an expiration date and you'll get penalized if you're wearing an expired helmet.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

YeehawMcKickass posted:

You're pretty much right. If you're not going beyond the low sections of the beer league you'll only have to replace as needed.

Edit: Just remember that helmets have an expiration date and you'll get penalized if you're wearing an expired helmet.

when that happens do you just buy a new helmet? Or is there some way to re certify or whatever?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No one has ever checked helmet stickers at my rink. Some people I skate with have used the same helmet since I started 7 years ago. Plus, the stickers always rub off within 2 months anyway.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

YeehawMcKickass posted:

huh?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Maddot_66 posted:

when that happens do you just buy a new helmet? Or is there some way to re certify or whatever?

Nah, it's like car seats. After a certain point the multitude of dings and pulls and stretches all accumulate to reduce protection and you need to get a new one. Never heard of a penalty being issued though.

re: playing with someone from juniors - a guy on one of my teams played fairly high level juniors in Finland, and were it not for wonky knees (he has that congenital issue where the patella is too stretchy, similar to what Andy Murray dealt with) may have gone further. His shot is okay for that level, but his skating and stick handling are extraordinary. I've seen more powerful skaters (skated against a few ECHL guys), but I've not seen anyone dance on his skates like this guy. He changes direction and turns and takes a first step like he's not wearing skates. Every once in a while it almost looks like he violates the laws of physics because he'll just stop on a dime and reverse direction like it's no thing. If any of you nerds have ever watched Babylon 5, he skates like a Starfury flies.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
SAS Hockey Player Thread: he skates like a Starfury flies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think my helmet was set to expire in 2017, but then the sticker wore off over the last 5 years so now it's basically good forever.

Also my eagle gloves are the best gloves ever. Took a slapshot off the cuff last night and barely felt it. Gave the other guy poo poo for such a lousy shot because there was no reason for the puck to get that high for how close I was to him.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No one has ever checked helmet stickers at my rink. Some people I skate with have used the same helmet since I started 7 years ago. Plus, the stickers always rub off within 2 months anyway.

lol if you don't play with a guy on your team wearing a Jofa or Cooper helmet

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Whoops, the first thing I did was remove all those annoying stickers on my helmet and stick. :ohdear:

Hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Almost blasted an opposing team's winger in the grill with my super wicked blue line slap shot so hey I've got that going for me. :v:
lol yeah too bad it was about a foot over the net

Verman posted:

Played a game tonight with a guy who has to have played juniors. No joke he scored at will, barely turned on his speed and blew past everyone on the ice. Ridiculous speed but his skating, stick handling and shot power were down right jaw dropping. Our goalie said that one of his shots almost took his catching glove off his hand.

He had matching gloves/shell/helmet/socks that weren't the color of the team he was playing with. They parked someone in front of the net and he would just snipe their sick blades and get deflected goals. After his hat trick and 2nd assist he started taking it easy, only skating up to the blue line uncontested and firing it on our goalie from the neutral zone.

The rest of their team was nothing special. We surprisingly held out to 6-3 loss.

Our center also got a penalty for taking a face-off, winning the puck and having the opposing center trip over his stick while the puck was on it. The girl that tripped was 5'0" and maybe 100 lbs and literally fell all game. She drew 3 penalties by being a terrible skater.

We've had some weird penalties in the last few games.

A: I thought rosters were supposed to be locked at this point?
B: Were you playing in Everett? Definitely had a ref there last night that I've never seen around before; made some interesting calls.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Please explain how this has ever been actually enforced.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
lol at the idea of anyone actually checking the helmet expiration.

"Hi I'm a beer league ref can I please see your helmet I need to make sure it's still good."

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hockles posted:

lol if your ref isn't using a helmet from 1997

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've only ever seen helmet stickers enforced by HNA and it was stickers they gave out to prove registration, nothing to do with safety. Register and pay, put sticker on helmet for that season, refs make sure everyone has a valid sticker on the roster (when they remember/care to)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Duke Chin posted:

Almost blasted an opposing team's winger in the grill with my super wicked blue line slap shot so hey I've got that going for me. :v:
lol yeah too bad it was about a foot over the net

A: I thought rosters were supposed to be locked at this point?
B: Were you playing in Everett? Definitely had a ref there last night that I've never seen around before; made some interesting calls.

A: No idea, he might be registered as a sub.

B: Kent valley

And for helmets, as long as it looks like a normal hockey helmet made in the last 30 years nobody will care.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I've seen helmet checks at the youth level. Your beer league is within their right to kick you out if your helmet isn't up to snuff.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My helmet sticker says it expired in 2009. I bought it new on clearance in 2015. Schwoops.

It's green though so I'll keep using it.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

best I've seen was a dude getting told to get off the ice cuz he had a douchey grey tint ovechkin visor in a full cage league.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Only time I've seen a ref check a helmet is when he noticed a guy had on a really old helmet with cage that didn't have a chin strap. The rink required cages, so I guess it meant they required chinstraps too? They just gave him a rental helmet for free to use for the game, and I don't think he missed a shift.

Funny enough, the very same rink which cared so much for safety (Lasker in Central Park), had an old goalie that still wore an old timey mask from the early 70s. Scored my first goal on that ~60 year old man. :smug:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I previously mentioned I was making a backyard rink. Well it finally got cold enough over the weekend to freeze. It turned out better than I hoped for, and the last 2 days have been totally worth it. Resurfacing it with the rink rake made it smoother than many actual rink's ice. Here's a panorama shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You done hosed up, you're supposed to put the net on the ice.

Do you even hockey?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

You done hosed up, you're supposed to put the net on the ice.

Do you even hockey?

I like to practice the same way I play in game, no shots on net.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hockles posted:

Played with a guy whose helmet looked like one of the first Coopers ever made. Instead of replacing it, he Krylon'd it hot pink, and was forever known as Fruity Rudy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bet that dude fucks

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

bet that dude fucks

was literally going to make that exact post :hf:

Also, that backyard rink owns. Nice job!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Skated for the first time ever in full gear (minus shoulderpads) today. Here's a list of random thoughts I had:
  • The gear isn't nearly as intrusive as I thought it would be
  • I was not expecting my hands to get so sweaty in those gloves
  • How do you itch your nose with a cage on?
  • I hit the jackpot with this rink. 90-minute adults-only public skate for $3.00 and the average number of people on the ice at a time was about 6. It was so empty I was actually able to practice skating ~clockwise~. In a couple weeks when lessons start, it's going to be easy for me to practice drills and techniques during this time.
  • When you're actually able to go at your own pace and not having to swerve around fallen children or slowing down for the group of 4 teens holding hands, you realize how tiring skating actually is. I definitely need to bring a water bottle next time.

I'm excited to actually start learning things :dance:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You gotta work those drills in your living room man. Teach yourself how to lock a glove between your elbow and your body, giving you a free hand to scratch your nose.

How do you think NHLers got so good at it?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

[*]How do you itch your nose with a cage on?

You should also practice the correct spitting angle so that the saliva doesn't hit the cage and just hang from there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only cretins spit, stop turning my hockey rink into a petri dish you neanderthal. :colbert:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Only cretins spit, stop turning my hockey rink into a petri dish you neanderthal. :colbert:

Stop falling down and you won't have to be grossed out by it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I never fall down, which is probably why my skating isn't improving.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

My spit is but a tear drop in the ocean compared to all the disgusting things that are going on with/coming out of all the kids that played before you that very day.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Here's a pretty good tutorial on how to scratch your nose during a game.

https://youtu.be/L3cDxt948lA

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

doctor 7 posted:

Stop falling down

Harsh and unwarranted :chanpop:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Had another game tonight. We had 10 skaters so it would be a good game with lots of ice time.

Goalie was a no show, no call, didn't answer his phone, nothing. We ask the goalies out playing before us, nada. We start walking out and realize it's a team we can't stand, really chippy and they have 2 ringers. We hit the ice with 6 guys.

We end the first knotted at zero.

Beginning in the second I win the face-off in their zone, back to my d man. I plant myself in front of the goalie and all of a sudden a rocket comes from the point. Goalie can't see it and goes high far side. Beautiful goal. Our captain gets tripped and pushed head first into the boards, no call. He stays down and it's not until the play is at the other end of the ice before the call the play dead. He is going to get x-rays tomorrow but we're 100% certain he broke his collar bone. Midway through the second I catch a break and charge up the left boards past 2 of their guys. I take a shot from the face off circle and hit the high far side of the net. I enjoyed that goal a lot.

We play with no goalie and now lead this team 2-0 going into the third period. We killed 2 penalties with no goalie. They're pissed to say the least.

Things get chippy. Lots of slashing ensues. Lots of physical play and contact. Eventually they finally get their act together and start scoring. One of their goals was bullshit as they were in the crease before the puck was shot. They ended up winning 4-2 but we played great and the fact they were losing for 2 periods and still only best is by 2 goals is a feat. We even beat them in shots on goal.

4 games in 7 days. This game started at 1130, I skated harder and longer than I've skated in a while.

Im loving wrecked.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 11, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

[*]I was not expecting my hands to get so sweaty in those gloves

Oh man, a whole new level of stink awaits you in about 6-9 months.

Breathe deep.

Breathe deep.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Glove stink owns. It's a good sign of properly broken in gloves :) Never sniff a goalie glove or blocker though. They are the worst in terms of hockey. Nothing will ever beat a good used pair of a soccer goalies gloves though. Because of the combination of sweat and playing in the rain and whatever else goalies do to them (a lot of spitting) they get very rank. In other news our team has lost 1 player to a broken jaw after being hit by a puck (playing for a different team) and last night we had two guys collide and both required stitches in their tongues. Be safe out there boys (and girls).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My eagles still smell pretty good.. I bought them last spring. Or maybe it was in the summer. Sometime around in there, it's been at least 6 months!

I still catch a whiff of whatever they treat the palms with when they get wet.. it's kind of a fabreeze smell.

Way better than the shitheap Bauer gloves I wore previously. I went through three pairs in 4 years and they either fell apart or smelled like death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:woop: Hooray my hockey shipment arrived, including a HockeyMonkey mystery stick that wound up being a 100 flex stick with a crazy toe curve. Not sure how this'll work out!

In the meantime I get to scare/intrigue my cats by stickhandling a practice ball in the living room. Time to look in to shooting pads (don't start the convo, I know the DIY methods).