Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Grenades are there to be used. The nature of xcom is that sometimes you roll well, and sometimes you roll badly and have to roll with the punches. I'd much rather use more grenades than I'd budgeted for on a single encounter (which I can compensate for later in the mission by playing more conservatively) than to leave advent alive at close range to kill one of my soldiers.

I mean, seriously. 45% chance of having enemies at effectively point-blank range able to shoot back at you. Every single mission, if this is your go-to strategy for the first pod. That's probably a 30% chance each time of having to scrub the campaign, or at least being seriously on the back foot for a while. That's not a sustainable strategy for getting through the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Would someone please explain what you guys are talking about?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
can we all agree grenading things is v. good on any difficulty?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

don't worry about it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just bought this game! Now to clear enough space on my SSD. To contribute to this grenade chat, explosives were my answer to many situations in XCOM and I'm looking forward to exploding more things in XCOM 2!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Wildtortilla posted:

I just bought this game! Now to clear enough space on my SSD. To contribute to this grenade chat, explosives were my answer to many situations in XCOM and I'm looking forward to exploding more things in XCOM 2!

You'll be happy to know that the exploding is much more fleshed out this time around. You might even think about bringing 2-3 explodeymen with you!

Muton autopsy ASAP! I didn't know this my first time around and the exploding was much less gratifying.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is capturing aliens alive still a thing? That was probably the only thing I didn't like doing in XCOM.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
No, it is mentioned as a possibility but Central puts his foot down. It's all autopsies or breakdowns now, also explosions don't destroy corpses either, which you still use to build some items.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
For the love of god don't sell the advent trooper corpses you pick up in the first half of the game!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wildtortilla posted:

Is capturing aliens alive still a thing? That was probably the only thing I didn't like doing in XCOM.

Its replaced with a mechanic where you shove a digital claw into a aliens mind and jack his brain for rewards. The risk is that might put the skulljackers in a exposed position.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 10, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Sounds good. I'm going to explode everything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Spermanent Record posted:

For the love of god don't sell the advent trooper corpses you pick up in the first half of the game!

I'd forgotten this rule after not playing in a long while and got greedy and fuuuuck.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Re: overwatch traps, I lean on it for Gatecrasher pretty hard. Set up on a roof, best case scenario you can get three full aim (85 with the height advantage) shots plus one regular flank (40 crit) or a good grenade. Sometimes the terrain is favorable and you can play the usual flank/grenade game but there's almost always a rooftop near the start and you're far less likely to trigger another pod that way.

Everything after that though, the only overwatch traps I use are via scanners/phantoms and LOS edging/squad sight snipers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

In terms of "Overwatch Traps" are we talking about having one guy hit the enemy pod with a grenade, or taking out a priority target that can be one-shot (i.e. having your Ranger with BSOD rounds crit the flanked Codex) while the rest just overwatch? Or are we talking about trying to trick the enemy into walking into your dudes and revealing them on their turn so you can get the "free" overwatch round?

Personally I've never found the latter worth it. I'm sure there can be ways to set it up/make it work but it just sucks up so much time when 75% of missions have a timer (direct or implied) and the AI seems determined to path away from me when I try it. I'd rather just open up on my own terms instead of trying to trick the AI into walking into the perfect trap.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd forgotten this rule after not playing in a long while and got greedy and fuuuuck.

Agreed. Don't take for granted that you'll get more corpses later when you need them - all it takes is a quick string of evac-style missions and you can screw yourself pretty hard.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can do it!

Basically playing the game on difficulties below commander makes the game more difficult in the long run because you're never forced to play well.

Explanation: :jerkbag:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Backhand posted:

Agreed. Don't take for granted that you'll get more corpses later when you need them - all it takes is a quick string of evac-style missions and you can screw yourself pretty hard.

Does this just apply to advent troopers because they eventually stop spawning in missions? Am I good to sell other types of corpses?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So they revealed the first piece of information about Long War 2 and first they chose to reveal is...another set of Tier 2.5 guns.

I expected nothing and I still got disappointed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I feel like that gun is way higher-fidelity than all the other assets? Like, it looks way out of place. It's like when creepy-pastas describe the graphics turning "hyper realistic", only it's just the gun from a modpack.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The advanced trooper models drop the same kind of corpses, but you'll start seeing them less often as bigger assholes start showing up.

You need 6 (12 on Legendary) trooper corpses to get tier 2 armour. You also need a few for some research, building EXO suits, and nanoscale armour.

All other corpses, except for Stun Lancers (spider suits), faceless (mimic beacons), sectoids (psi-amp upgrade and mind shields), vipers (nanomedkit project and items), berserkers (overdrive serum), chryssalids (hellweave) and gatekeepers (psi-amp upgrade) can be sold freely once autopsied, or when you don't care about said items/upgrades.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Explanation: :jerkbag:

Well how is it possible to survive encounters with stronger, more numerous and more accurate enemies on higher difficultIes? You have the same number of troops as on easy.

It's not a game that needs any kind of dexterity. The only things separating an easy player from a hard player are knowledge of the game mechanics and the ability to make good decisions.

The strategic layer can be less forgiving, which is a legit reason to play through on normal once, but the the combat on commander shouldn't be a problem if you play the tactical game correctly.

Easy let's you get away with things like plinking away at enemies from behind cover instead of flanking, or escaping actions that ought to end in a team wipe. It's not actually teaching you the rules of the tactical game, which means when you start on classic or commander you have to get rid of some bad habits. It mainly just gets really boring, for me anyway, though.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 10, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is fine if the game is longer and progression is more gradual, it worked well in LW1 (even though I only played on the short version, which was still far too long). The Xcom 2 pack didn't work because there was just no point in using it

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Gyshall posted:

can we all agree grenading things is v. good on any difficulty?

Agreed!

if you play the tactical game correctly.

I always stay up at night wondering if I am playing my video games "correctly" or not..... hahaha.

Honestly what this thread needs right now is a good ole' Squadsight vs Snapshot debate from Xcom 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fargom posted:

Agreed!

I always stay up at night wondering if I am playing my video games "correctly" or not..... hahaha.

Honestly what this thread needs right now is a good ole' Squadsight vs Snapshot debate from Xcom 2012

Snapshot was a dumb perk because Gunslinger existed and let you have Sqaudsight and an infinite-ammo rifle for any time you had to get up close without the aim penalties. Furthermore...

:goonsay:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Snapshot super sucks in this game because the aim penalty is ridiculously harsh.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

What the hell? Didn't they already make the laser weapons? The laser weapons looked absolutely fantastic, why replace them with this?

The link says "this line of advanced magnetic hardware rests above the current Mag weapon tier offered by Chief Shen and her team, and directly under our top-tier Beam offerings", I'm assuming then that Coilguns actually do replace laser weaponry.

Go freaking figure. That makes no sense. Am I autistic? I suppose it can make sense if they also release an option to have both tiers if you want a very long game. Anyway, they look cool, but not cooler than lasers.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
They've mentioned on their forums that lasers now occupy the spot between conventional and magnetic (ie the spot that their standalone mod should have occupied since that would've had some use in the vanilla game), so it's not quite as dumb as I thought.

Kinda silly I had to go onto their forums to find that and one of the strategic changes they've done though. (It's a really obvious one: items are individually built again)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

More or less confirms that we'll be getting the same HP bloat in enemy progression that LW1 had to justify adding more gun tiers. Then, when that ends up not being enough, they'll double or triple pod sizes. Long is more, baby

But again, I'll be happiest when they nerf explosives into swing-y rolls that very occasionally put a dent in low cover.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Xcom is a game about shooting aliens.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Alkydere posted:

In terms of "Overwatch Traps" are we talking about having one guy hit the enemy pod with a grenade, or taking out a priority target that can be one-shot (i.e. having your Ranger with BSOD rounds crit the flanked Codex) while the rest just overwatch? Or are we talking about trying to trick the enemy into walking into your dudes and revealing them on their turn so you can get the "free" overwatch round?

Personally I've never found the latter worth it. I'm sure there can be ways to set it up/make it work but it just sucks up so much time when 75% of missions have a timer (direct or implied) and the AI seems determined to path away from me when I try it. I'd rather just open up on my own terms instead of trying to trick the AI into walking into the perfect trap.

It's great on missions without a strict timer, plus you can force their hand by having a sniper on overwatch to guarantee the activation. Having direct vision is really important to making it happen, so yeah phantom is a pro tier perk.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I feel like that gun is way higher-fidelity than all the other assets? Like, it looks way out of place. It's like when creepy-pastas describe the graphics turning "hyper realistic", only it's just the gun from a modpack.

I also feel the gun models are off, but to me it's more that they look too much like a Fisher price toy compared to the other weapons.

For me, some of the tier 3 weapons were also close to this, but luckily they avoided it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Ravenfood posted:

Jesus. Ok. So, that was all included in my initial post. I've been playing commander since it was called classic, several legendary runs, a ton of LW, and ironman since the game got stable enough to do so. I specifically said it was only useful at all in the very early stages of the game, where using two grenades on one pod represents ~40 to 66% (gren/flashbang) of your grenades for the entire mission. I hope you don't need those later, when the option to attack from overwatch isn't there. Moving to flank gets you the same percentage shot as an overwatch-from-concealment and has the risk of activating new pods, plus you have less flexibility with your potential destination. A soldier with a mimic beacon should absolutely never take an action before everyone else in the squad does, true, and should essentially never overwatch with active enemies. But if you have mimic beacons, you're probably outside of the window that I was referring to in the first place. If you have six dice to roll, you're definitely outside of that window.

A 55% chance (before you include that your troops might be on high ground) to wipe out a pod with zero chance for the enemy to return fire and zero resources expended can be a pretty decent gamble all around. Many times its not, and its utility is often overestimated by new people, but saying its completely useless is not correct.

e: Like, I'm definitely not Beagle but the idea that anyone who disagrees with you just must not play on commander or ironman is kind of condescending.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to say that you personally don't play Commander/Legendary, just that the odds don't work like that if you decide to hold your shots -- a 45% roll to lose/injure troops is just not reliable enough to give you control over your progress through the early game, whereas you can mitigate risk and secure opportunities if you hold your shots, destroy cover, take flanks, hit for critical damage. There are ways you can vet the ground around the first pod activation too, given you're in concealment, so you're poised to flank safely rather than riskily.

Granted the line of play can make that sort of thing risky too, but it's more controllable than rolling the dice hastily.

Not that I care that much what difficulty level you or I play, I'm not that great, and it's all just video games so whatever.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for the tips on Commander difficulty Retaliation missions. I'll try to be less cautious.

Unrelated, do we know when Beagle plans to start his next Live and Impossible campaign? I have a lot of 11 hours flights coming up.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I'm mostly disappointed since I thought that the old mag weapons were coilguns, (given the research term "Gauss weapons") and now their upgrade is a much shittier box gun than they already were.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Or possibly there are more tiers of weaponry to work through over the course of the research tree and these occupy a new spot in the tier list?

That seems like a thing that could possibly happen in this mod that is called Long War that is intended to make the war longer hmm yes

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Furism posted:

Thanks for the tips on Commander difficulty Retaliation missions. I'll try to be less cautious.

There's a difference between cautious and slow. Phantom, scanners, etc so you're not running face first into trouble. Just don't overwatch crawl, dat iz slow.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to have the action cam where you see the closeup of the soldier shooting, but have the isometric targeting cam that comes with turning actioncam off?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The game is already plenty long. I don't really want it longer. (But I hate LW and want them to just go make their own game for grognards, so)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Furism posted:

Unrelated, do we know when Beagle plans to start his next Live and Impossible campaign? I have a lot of 11 hours flights coming up.

By the new year at the latest last saturday any day now according to twitter. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Every time I quit out of XCOM 2, the next time I restart it loses track of my mod list and I have to start it up again without mods and then restart again before it finds them again, and I have to manually enable them every time. Anybody else have this issue?