Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kikas posted:

Also there's something afoot with the Youtube copy of the OOT3D run - the screen goes black for a split second every few minutes.
Is there any chance you can get a timecode for any of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

By the way UA - I remember asking about this in some previous thread, but is the game footage/capture RGB nowadays? Looks at least pretty sharp in my eyes.

Reason I'm asking because I've been wanting to get into live streaming, but all my consoles are RGB, and it's a bit harder than simply hooking up an Elgato (I've been eyeing a PEXHDCAP capture card) so I was wondering what RGB capture solutions you guys use - if that's what you use.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Should probably add that Sega Bass Fishing run to the list of runs to watch. That was loving funny.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Should probably add that Sega Bass Fishing run to the list of runs to watch. That was loving funny.

I concur.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Kikas posted:

He's commenting on the Blaster Master run this year, so get on it.

Also there's something afoot with the Youtube copy of the OOT3D run - the screen goes black for a split second every few minutes.

It was happening with the Shovel Knight run too, though i think only a couple times towards the beginning of the run.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Infidel Castro posted:

It was happening with the Shovel Knight run too, though i think only a couple times towards the beginning of the run.

This was happening with another Twitch Streamed show that then transferred to youtube. Must be an issue between the 2 somewhere.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Am I just just forgetting or are they blowing past previous years funding expectations? I don't remember them ever getting close to a quarter of a million before the end of the end of the second day and they're already climbing into $261k.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

nessin posted:

Am I just just forgetting or are they blowing past previous years funding expectations? I don't remember them ever getting close to a quarter of a million before the end of the end of the second day and they're already climbing into $261k.
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq16/ says they were around $219k at the end of the second day last year

http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq17/ for this year's stats

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any highlights from last night? Last I saw was Rocket- Robot on wheels. I do want to catch Blaster Master and Ninja Gaiden anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

Any highlights from last night? Last I saw was Rocket- Robot on wheels. I do want to catch Blaster Master and Ninja Gaiden anyway.

Tetris, Blaster Master, and Ninja Gaiden were great. Blaster Master had a great glitch where the game forgot to spawn the boss.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Tetris, Blaster Master, and Ninja Gaiden were great. Blaster Master had a great glitch where the game forgot to spawn the boss.

Haha, that was a great moment. Also all-star couch commentary for Blaster Master.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
only 5 minutes into it but I highly, highly recommend everyone watch Road Trip Adventure, even if you've never heard of it. >especially< if you've never heard of it.

the sell: you are a car who drives around on the bottom of the ocean listening to chill tunes to become president of the world

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

Wondering about this too. Was Jazz Jackrabbit any good? What about Pokémon? I assume Tetris is a must-watch?

Minrad posted:

only 5 minutes into it but I highly, highly recommend everyone watch Road Trip Adventure, even if you've never heard of it. >especially< if you've never heard of it.

the sell: you are a car who drives around on the bottom of the ocean listening to chill tunes to become president of the world

Extremely recommended.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Wondering about this too. Was Jazz Jackrabbit any good? What about Pokémon? I assume Tetris is a must-watch?

Extremely recommended.

I liked Jazz Jackrabbit, but I do have a personal history with the game. Good commentary too.

After that, Road Trip Adventure is a must-see.

Managed to catch Blaster Master & Ninja Gaiden VODs and they were really good. I'll probably but Blaster Master on my list too.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Pokemon was pokemon. If you like pokemon you'll like it but if you don't you'll probably find it really boring. It's also 3 hours long.

Tetris was very anime but it was a race and that's pretty cool.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Some more runs I've enjoyed!

Blaster Master race - Entertaining game, good commentary, and a surprise glitch.
Ninja Gaiden pacifist race - Seeing this game run is really impressive, and the pacifist version is even more ridiculous imo! Very skillful play.
Ninja Gaiden 2 pacifist - See above.
Adventure Island 4 - I've never seen this game before but it was quite interesting to watch with good commentary, cute sprites, and neat glitches.
Jazz Jackrabbit - This game is insanely fast and the commentary was excellent and always seemed to have something interesting to say.
Road Trip Adventure - An endearing and weird little car adventure thing.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

Some more runs I've enjoyed!

Blaster Master race - Entertaining game, good commentary, and a surprise glitch.
Ninja Gaiden pacifist race - Seeing this game run is really impressive, and the pacifist version is even more ridiculous imo! Very skillful play.
Ninja Gaiden 2 pacifist - See above.
Adventure Island 4 - I've never seen this game before but it was quite interesting to watch with good commentary, cute sprites, and neat glitches.
Jazz Jackrabbit - This game is insanely fast and the commentary was excellent and always seemed to have something interesting to say.
Road Trip Adventure - An endearing and weird little car adventure thing.

Thanks for these. Ninja Gaiden was deffo on my list, I had completely forgotten about Blaster Master so I'm excited to see that one.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Holy crap, the Undertale Genocide boss demo is a $100,000 incentive. That's got to be the highest incentive they've ever done by probably double, isn't it?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ElegantFugue posted:

Holy crap, the Undertale Genocide boss demo is a $100,000 incentive. That's got to be the highest incentive they've ever done by probably double, isn't it?

I wanna say one year they had Narcissa doing the any% OOT run back when it was still new and cool right after the big 100% OOT run as a donation incentive that was also pretty high. Maybe it was one less 0, though?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah that was 10K but at the time that was massive.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I remember being floored that we hit that, now we're probably gonna hit this 100K one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElegantFugue posted:

Went back and looked at the earlier GDQs and here's the top donation incentives for each event:
AGDQ 2011: No information

SGDQ 2011: $300.00 for Sephiroth in a Kingdom Hearts game (also $600.00 for bronanassentia in a KH game, not met)

AGDQ 2012: $750.00 Super Meat Boy All Levels (several higher goals weren't met, the highest being get naegleria to shave his head which was at $2000)

SGDQ 2012: $1,000.00 Final Fantasy VI 100% (also $1500 for get naegleria to shave his head, but that one wasn't met)

AGDQ 2013: $10,000.00 Super Mario World Any% in the bonus stream

SGDQ 2013: $10,000.00 Blueglass + iateyourpie Old Man River duet

AGDQ 2014: $30,000.00 Chrono Trigger 100% (there was also 50k to get dark souls in, but that didnt succeed)

SGDQ 2014: $30,000.00 Final Fantasy VI 100%

AGDQ 2015: $75,000.00 for All Child Dungeons Blindfolded in Zelda OOT

SGDQ 2015: $65,000.00 for Chrono Trigger 100% Run

AGDQ 2016: $20,000.00 for Pokemon Blue Glitch Showcase, Mario Kart 64 All Cups 2p1c, TASBot plays Brain Age x100, Final Fantasy IV Any% no 64 floor glitch Excalibur route and Fight Bahamut.

SGDQ 2016: $50,000.00 for Bonus Run: Pokémon Blue.

In summary: the $100k goal is only $25k above a donation goal that was met 2 years ago. So it's almost certainly gonna be met.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I have no doubt in my mind that the $100k for Undertale Genocide will be met. I mean, come on, it's Undertale.

Super Metroid Rotation coming up next. This one looks really cool.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't miss Super Metroid Rotation :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Oh my God, the runner cam :allears:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

drat it, I was really waiting for this one and I missed the first 25 minutes. It seems like it's just as awesome as I expected.

e: Even though I only caught half that one is also going on my recommendations list. So here's a bit of an update from me:

- Ocarina of Time 3D - crazy glitches, very good commentary
- Shovel Knight - really tight race, also great commentary
- Mega Man - same here, very good race
- Hitman : Blood money - good couch, fun glitches
- Kalimba - crazy skill involved, runner playing co-op by himself, effectively controlling 4 characters at the same time
- New Super Hook Girl - lots of skill, fast pace, short game

- Salt & Sanctuary - at least catch the Any Unicorn% which takes just a few minutes, it's hilarious
- Blaster Master - great race with a surprise, all-star couch commentary
- Ninja Gaiden 1 & 3 Pacifist - Even harder than the real thing
( - Jazz Jackrabbit - It had good commentary but I feel like you need to have some kinda history with the game )
- Road Trip Adventure - this game is broken and funny, great runner
- Super Metroid Rotation - for obvious reasons

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 10, 2017

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommendation list updated. If anyone wants to write short sentences about those with missing descriptions, go ahead.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I've never played Dark Messiah of Might and Magic but I love breaking PC games apart.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DizzyBum posted:

I have no doubt in my mind that the $100k for Undertale Genocide will be met. I mean, come on, it's Undertale.

So I've never played Undertale but it's huge and I have no clue why, can anyone fill me in?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I've never played Undertale but it's huge and I have no clue why, can anyone fill me in?

Lotta earthbound nostalgia, endearing characters, at least attempts to make you think about your actions, built in fandom from homestuck. Just a perfect storm of stuff to make it popular.
e: music's pretty good, too

Moatman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 10, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a very good LP of it in the archives, but to sum it up it's a quirky, fun game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

I was wondering about this too (never played Earthbound, never read(?) Homestuck or anything else people were comparing it to) but then I played it and now I legitimately rank it as one of the best games I've ever played so uh.. not sure what more you're looking for v:v:v

It's a good game. It does an amazing job about making you care about the characters, the humour is incredibly endearing, the gameplay is used in clever ways and the music is absolutely amazing (and also used very cleverly). I think it deserved to become popular :shittydog: If you want to form an honest opinion about it yourself just forget the fandom (protip: every large internet fandom is loving atrocious) and just play the game. It's a short game and will only take ~7-10 hours on a casual playthrough.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

s.i.r.e. posted:

The other thing is there was a bit of overblown drama involving the creator, Toby Fox, and *GDQ. Toby Fox put a one year moratorium on having it run at a GDQ or other speedrunning marathons, because, and I can't blame him for this, he wanted people to experience it themselves first before watching someone else play it. It's definitely a game that is hard to talk about without spoilers.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That whole thing was ridiculous. Wasn't it basically him going "can you please wait?" and them going "sure, of course"? :shrug: The ones causing drama were the people who already hated the game/creator and insisted he was CENSORING AGDQ or some dumb poo poo and COMMANDING that they don't show the game (like he has any authority over *GDQ).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pretty much, it was a classic case of people looking to be angry.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've found that 90% of internet drama boils down to an anonymous horde with an agenda generating infinite outrage by playing telephone regarding someone or something they don't like to begin with.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

That whole thing was ridiculous. Wasn't it basically him going "can you please wait?" and them going "sure, of course"? :shrug: The ones causing drama were the people who already hated the game/creator and insisted he was CENSORING AGDQ or some dumb poo poo and COMMANDING that they don't show the game (like he has any authority over *GDQ).

I'm glad they did too because I just downloaded and beat Undertale (4 times) about 3 weeks ago. I didn't even realize it was on the schedule until a few days ago

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, this "drama" didn't exist at all. Toby just asked nicely for people to not submit it to the last two GDQs, and people obliged. If anyone did get mad about it, they were being a gigantic baby.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So if I watch this speedrun of Undertale without having played it, would it ruin things for me if I wanted to play it later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have to admit that I'm a bit wary of Undertale due to the very rabid nature of its fanbase. I also admit it's quite petty of me, but I couldn't help feeling really amused when Spoony was livestreaming it with the fans going NOO DON'T KILL [NPC] HE'S SUCH A GOOD GUY YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG - but like Your Computer said you can say this about every fanbase so I'm also at fault here. Game itself is probably good.

I have no doubt it'll be a great GDQ run though, or the fact that it'll probably gather a shitton of money for charity.

e: I'll spoiler that just in case

• Locked thread