Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think it's the abundance of exclamation marks. That person is SO PUMPED to get her gun hiding permit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eh... I was respectful and courteous. I outlined all my reasons for leaving: basically that place was a poo poo show and a sinking ship, I am underpaid, overworked, sexual harrassment, the usual...
He seemed sad but not really upset. I mean he knew the writing was on the wall.

The real kicker was when my boss called in the only other guy in my dept to explain that I had just given my 2 weeks notice, and to make plans going forward for transfer of knowledge and operating the dept with only one employee...
As soon as my boss had told him that I had gotten another job elsewhere he said "OH YEAH ME TOO!" Old boss looked like he just poo poo himself.
We both literally got new jobs at the same place at the same time.

This is genuinely hilarious, I would actually laugh were I not at my desk. :master:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eh... I was respectful and courteous. I outlined all my reasons for leaving: basically that place was a poo poo show and a sinking ship, I am underpaid, overworked, sexual harrassment, the usual...

One of these things is not like the other.

:justpost:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Volmarias posted:

One of these things is not like the other.

:justpost:

Nah, sorry. I'm not going there. I will offer these 2 things though:
1) Certain people found out the hard way that I drink liquor like a fish breathes water.
2) I now know (not firsthand knowledge) WAYYYY more about "poppers" than I ever wanted to.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Oh. My. God.

Someone is obeying the law by getting a permit to conceal a handgun? In a country where it is perfectly legal and normal for law-abiding citizens to purchase, own, and carry firearms?

GO TELL HR NOW! THIS LADY IS OBEYING THE LAW AND IS OBVIOUSLY A PSYCHO! :ughh:

There's no possible way that her passport is for something like a vacation or...here's a thought, maybe just to take a commercial flight within the US? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/13/real-id-law-facing-backlash-from-states-refusing-t/

Guns do stupid things to people's minds, as is evident here. I'd bet that all of you here in the US have probably been within 5 feet of an armed CCW permit holder multiple times in your lives in public places and been none the wiser.

If owning a gun somehow magically makes a person a psychopath murderer, then everyone here is magically a super-hacker by virtue of using a computer.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pearnicious posted:

Oh. My. God.

Someone is obeying the law by getting a permit to conceal a handgun? In a country where it is perfectly legal and normal for law-abiding citizens to purchase, own, and carry firearms?

GO TELL HR NOW! THIS LADY IS OBEYING THE LAW AND IS OBVIOUSLY A PSYCHO! :ughh:

There's no possible way that her passport is for something like a vacation or...here's a thought, maybe just to take a commercial flight within the US? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/13/real-id-law-facing-backlash-from-states-refusing-t/

Guns do stupid things to people's minds, as is evident here. I'd bet that all of you here in the US have probably been within 5 feet of an armed CCW permit holder multiple times in your lives in public places and been none the wiser.

If owning a gun somehow magically makes a person a psychopath murderer, then everyone here is magically a super-hacker by virtue of using a computer.

What's the "days since a mass shooting in the US" counter at currently ?

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

jre posted:

What's the "days since a mass shooting in the US" counter at currently ?

Look, I never said every single person who owns a gun is a shining pillar of society who can do no wrong. Obviously there are fuckos out there, but given the population of the US and the sheer number of available guns, if every person with a gun was a serial killer it should be happening every second of every day.

But since that's not the case, I can only assume that most people who legally own guns are not batshit insane.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Anyone who's excited !!!!! about being able to walk about with a loaded hand gun all day, shouldn't be allowed to own fire arms.

Also if you are bringing a loaded gun to your job in an office, you're a nut case.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Would it be possible to go back to bitching about tickets and leave this to another forum?

To contribute: we acquired a new company. I'm suppose to assist with integrating its products into our support organization.

They have no reporting. They do not have tickets. Customers email a support alias and then there's a group (which contains everything from product managers to developers to sales people) who collaborate to fix the issue. I asked why they don't have support at least look at these things first, before having everybody in the world abandon everything. Turns out no one in support has even the tiniest bit of training on the product. They support something else entirely.

I think I have my work cut out for me.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

jre posted:

Anyone who's excited !!!!! about being able to walk about with a loaded hand gun all day, shouldn't be allowed to own fire arms.

Also if you are bringing a loaded gun to your job in an office, you're a nut case.

So now we're just assuming all over the place here. Where did it say she was bringing the thing to work? She doesn't even have the permit yet, so wtf are you even on about?

What if she was assaulted at some point in her life and is happy about the feeling of security she is hoping to get from a CCW permit? There could be literally any number of reasons why she is excited about it, none of them nefarious. What kind of stupid blanket statement is "someone excited about guns shouldn't be able to own guns"? Who gave you the authority to be the thought police?

It's okay to be opposed to guns, but stop making GBS threads all over some lady you know nothing about just because she mentioned the word "gun" and it triggered you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
shut up about guns

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
unless you're pointing the gun at our remedy server

then it's okay

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Renegret posted:

unless you're pointing the gun at our remedy server

then it's okay

sounds like a good remedy to me

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I'm starting to think helpdesk doesn't read the ticket emails and replies directly to the subject.

Fake names, obviously.

Dana submits a ticket through our ticket form which has fields for desk number and software the ticket is about. For added measure she wrote "LINDSEY NEEDS HER CENTRIFY PASSWORD RESET".

To their credit, she got an instant reply: "is this for you or someone else? What program?"

Dana sent the guy a response that was barely more polite than, "loving really dude?" so I guess Lindsey is staying locked out all day.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a text message, phone call and Facebook message came in. Being an unemployed bum doesn't stop family tech support.

My mother-in-law had a "small" computer issue. By small I mean sage 50 was puking on itself as it normally does.

It was throwing database errors when opening company files. So I did the standard troubleshooting and eventually contacted sage. After being transferred around a bit I got a tech on the phone who told me the only fix was to factory reset the desktop.

Mother-in-law wasn't happy about this option and neither was I. Did some more digging and figured out the issue was a bad update.

Tried to uninstall sage, 1603 error. Manually uninstalled sage, reinstalled and it was fine.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Reinstall your OS" is what tech support tells you to do when they have no idea and want you off their phone.

Unless you are Apple. I love reinstalling OSX. It's no hassle and fixes god damned near everything anytime I do it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

chin up everything sucks posted:

"Reinstall your OS" is what tech support tells you to do when they have no idea and want you off their phone.

Unless you are Apple. I love reinstalling OSX. It's no hassle and fixes god damned near everything anytime I do it.

Reset This PC on Windows 10 is pretty similar and I can't wait for everyone to get on it so we can live in an IT utopia

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Renegret posted:

shut up about guns

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

chin up everything sucks posted:

Life imitating Yahoo! Answers, what a time to be alive.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Segmentation Fault posted:

Reset This PC on Windows 10 is pretty similar and I can't wait for everyone to get on it so we can live in an IT utopia

Yeah, screw decent coding, hardware is advanced enough you can just hit the reset button anytime theres the slightest problem.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, screw decent coding, hardware is advanced enough you can just hit the reset button anytime theres the slightest problem.

please tell me how having an ability to quickly and easily reset things means a lack of "decent coding"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

A well implemented, easy to use and reliable restore function is a product of "decent coding"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm reminded of reading a complaint about dual-core processors from someone because the cores had a lower clock speed than single-core processors and why would I want two turds instead of one bar of gold?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ban this disbeliever in powercycling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm reminded of reading a complaint about dual-core processors from someone because the cores had a lower clock speed than single-core processors and why would I want two turds instead of one bar of gold?

If they were talking about a Pentium D then it wasn't wrong

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I remember my teacher in my A+ course (circa 2010) saying that dual cores were used because increasing the clock of single cores was taking too much power and making too much heat, so we would never see clock speeds above 3.0ghz.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I remember my teacher in my A+ course (circa 2010) saying that dual cores were used because increasing the clock of single cores was taking too much power and making too much heat, so we would never see clock speeds above 3.0ghz.

Did he possibly work for IBM around 2005 ish? :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

An A+ instructor having no sense of reality?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

blackswordca posted:

So a text message, phone call and Facebook message came in. Being an unemployed bum doesn't stop family tech support.

My mother-in-law had a "small" computer issue. By small I mean sage 50 was puking on itself as it normally does.

It was throwing database errors when opening company files. So I did the standard troubleshooting and eventually contacted sage. After being transferred around a bit I got a tech on the phone who told me the only fix was to factory reset the desktop.

Mother-in-law wasn't happy about this option and neither was I. Did some more digging and figured out the issue was a bad update.

Tried to uninstall sage, 1603 error. Manually uninstalled sage, reinstalled and it was fine.

Oh man, I just had my first encounter with Sage. We provide app servers for customers to run our software, and they can install third-party software if they pay us extra. Client was having memory issues so provisioning just threw a second server at them and went "Have fun!" meaning it was 50/50 if their users got on their original server or the new one with nothing installed on it.

They had Sage on the first server and it worked fine, but they couldn't open anything from the second server because it couldn't find the database connector. I did a little googling and suggested they install the database connector on their SQL server and keep all the company files there so they can access them from either server. I spent a couple of hours loving around with something I wasn't sure would even work before telling the client that we'd need to contact Sage support - at which point they tell me they already did and Sage said it wasn't possible, so now they're going to have the people who use Sage log into the first server with the admin account to bypass the load balancer so they can do their accounting.

I asked the provisioning team how they'd dealt with this for other clients and they said "well all the other clients using Sage have one server so it's never come up!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

An A+ instructor having no sense of reality?
I remember being told in a college classroom in 2008/2009 that you needed to defragment USB sticks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I remember being told there was a cap to how many Ghz you can push through a processor before it starts ejecting atoms basically becoming radioactive and we were getting close. I'm sure there is a limit to just how many Ghz a CPU can go, but I'm pretty sure it would be limited by the speed of light and not some crazy theory that eventually server rooms will require lead shielding suiting up and hot swapping CPUs every few years because they are decaying.

I think every school has a crackpot teacher that has wild theories that they love to teach students and they also teach early classes that no one wants to teach. That or they just like to gently caress with the people that are going to drop out.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

pixaal posted:

I remember being told there was a cap to how many Ghz you can push through a processor before it starts ejecting atoms basically becoming radioactive and we were getting close. I'm sure there is a limit to just how many Ghz a CPU can go, but I'm pretty sure it would be limited by the speed of light and not some crazy theory that eventually server rooms will require lead shielding suiting up and hot swapping CPUs every few years because they are decaying.

I think every school has a crackpot teacher that has wild theories that they love to teach students and they also teach early classes that no one wants to teach. That or they just like to gently caress with the people that are going to drop out.

I can kind of see where they are going, although I would suspect it would melt before it irradiated things (sorry Fallout case mod builders!).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samizdata posted:

I can kind of see where they are going, although I would suspect it would melt before it irradiated things (sorry Fallout case mod builders!).

Pretty sure you'd need to push the average temperature to higher thaan around 50-70 degrees centigrade to induce a meltdown event.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure you'd need to push the average temperature to higher thaan around 50-70 degrees centigrade to induce a meltdown event.

The term you want isn't meltdown. Meltdown means the material actually starts melting everything it sits on, until it entombs itself deep underground. You want a fission event for producing radiation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean, there's a hint of reality in the idiocy. Dramatically simplified and wrong in actual specifics, but still.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 11, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This happened at my old job on my last day.
Still makes me laugh.

A vmware agent call us on Friday the 31st of December to let us know that the license of vmware is expiring tomorrow.
Colleague talks with the agent and together they verify that, yes it is expiring tomorrow and then he answers "Yes, but can it wait until Monday?"
They were calling just before we were gonna close and go home.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

CUCM subscriber is using 100% constantly and causing weird errors on phones. I know jack poo poo about CUCM, get the helpdesk to raise a TAC.

After some back and forth we get this gem.

quote:

If the server experienced unexpected shutdown then i will recommend to rebuild the server

Is this a common resolution to a hosed cisco server? It seems somewhat excessive when the "unexpected shutdown" was two months ago, and we only started seeing issues about a month after that...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LordVorbis posted:

CUCM subscriber is using 100% constantly and causing weird errors on phones. I know jack poo poo about CUCM, get the helpdesk to raise a TAC.

Is this a common resolution to a hosed cisco server? It seems somewhat excessive when the "unexpected shutdown" was two months ago, and we only started seeing issues about a month after that...

We got a TAC case response to a CUCM question where the recommended resolution was "figure it out yourself." I was not real impressed. We did not take kindly to it as an institution.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cisco have been worse than useless lately.

It's taken them since July to November to provide a replacement dial plan as a customer is having issues calling some 10 digit UK numbers (Stupid places that didn't go to 11)
The change went through in November, and didn't fix a drat thing, and then we got into a festive change freeze, so I now have a ticket sitting getting more and more customer attention because Cisco can't do their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LordVorbis posted:

Not at all. You got a poo poo tech. I've had good experience with TAC on CUCM issues.

• Locked thread