Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not so much that I'm thinking they will do it as that it seems very likely a situation will arise in Trump's presidency where someone in the military should refuse an order.

As long as one loud voice in the room puts "duty" before reason the institutions of state power will follow trump's orders -- even the few that likely hate him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just want to say that although this is a derail, it has been super fascinating and informative and I hope people aren't disinclined to continue the discussion. Thanks for your posts.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: "Every single soldier from the gate guard to the Commandant who has rotated through Guantanamo Bay since 2002 is a ffffucking drone who never questions their government or values, unlike twodot who sees the truth." Tell me, O enlightened one, under what legal theory exactly are they supposed to be concluding that indefinite detention of enemy combatants is illegal? Seriously, I want to know what you're basing this argument that what we're doing is facially illegal on. Congress authorized it. The Supreme Court signed off on it. Tradition, law, and treaty allow it.
Korematsu is still valid precedent, so "Historically we've detained anyone we want, the three branches of government all agree we can detain whoever we want, therefore it's legal to detain everyone we want" doesn't really work for me as an argument. I'm really unclear on both 1) What sort of legal analysis you think a soldier should perform when evaluating whether to perform an order and 2) What sort of analysis you think the average soldier (or even an above average soldier) is capable of. From what you've written here if the President issued an order to round up all the Arabs because they share an ethnicity with someone we're at war with (note: I don't actually agree we're at war for this purpose, but we need to be for your argument to work), you seem to be arguing that not only would soldiers agree to do this, but that they should given that historical precedent backs up the legality of such an order.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for when you're asking what legal theory am I using the concludes that indefinite detention of people is illegal. Like clearly I have one. If you want to call it "The twodot Doctrine" we can, but I don't know where that gets us. Do you want me to distinguish between the prisoners at Guantanamo and some other prisoners where you think I've argued that indefinite detention of them is ok? I don't think I've done that, so I don't understand what you're asking for. Meanwhile I have asked you a direct question multiple times which you've refused to answer I'll put here and at the bottom of my post just in case you miss it:

Also please answer my question about who would even have standing to contest the relevant laws are Constitutional and the President has some obligation to follow them, and what remedy they would seek.

quote:

(Oh, and nice attempt to shift the goalposts from detention to torture.)
I don't understand how this is goalpost shifting, I'm discussing whether military members obey illegal orders, and the documented history of the military torturing people means either there is a precedent of obeying illegal orders, or someone is arguing torture is legal. I think there are also other examples, I just assumed there would be the most agreement here.

quote:

Oh, you mean the West Point cadet who married a general's daughter upon graduation, rose to the highest military rank achievable, commanded MNF-I, was named director of the CIA, and was getting metaphorical blowjobs from the mainstream press and D.C. establishment to the point that there was an editorial calling for five star rank to be revived just for him, until he blew it all up by getting a literal blowjob from his attractive biographer and had to settle for a retirement of honorary professorships and six figure consultant salaries? Yeah, that sounds like a guy who doesn't know how to play the game.

Seriously, every time you go for one of these sick burns, you reveal the hilarious extent of your ignorance.
Yes, I do think the story of the dude who married into wealth and power, achieved similar wealth and power, committed multiple felonies for no good reason, and avoided the consequences of those crimes only due to his wealth and power is a pretty good example of 4 star generals being just dudes.

Also please answer my question about who would even have standing to contest the relevant laws are Constitutional and the President has some obligation to follow them, and what remedy they would seek.

To be super clear, I don't even think the law that Congress passed is Constitutional in the first place, and the President should ignore it as any unconstitutional law. Given you've argued in favor of our existing institutions, how would these institutions even demonstrate the law is Constitutional?

edit:
I forgot this, on the "ffffucking drone" comment (which I've never said). It's not that I'm blaming individual soldiers for following illegal orders. Most of them were forced into their position by the need to survive personally and possibly provide for loved ones, so I get why a person in that situation would prefer following illegal orders (which is very safe) over challenging orders that are in their view illegal, but as soldiers and not lawyers have at best a shaky view of what is illegal, and even if they are 100% correct the orders are illegal, challenging them is still a risky proposition both for their career and avoiding prison.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 9, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

UberJew posted:

The internment of Japanese-Americans and the imprisonment of pacifist figures for unacceptable speech in WWI are probably better examples

The constitution means whatever congress and the supreme court agrees it means, nothing more or less

In the aspirational sense of 'should' our justice system should probably be completely different from the ground up (something where private wealth or the personal interest of some nonprofit aren't critically necessary to access it, f.ex)

e: you might say 'but those cases were later ruled to be unconstitutional', and yes, but they were the law of the land and enforced and people died as a result and no supreme court justice or wilson administration official ever suffered in the slightest for enforcing the law

If RBG, Breyer and Kennedy all die and get replaced by clones of Alito and then affirm that the 2018 congress' law criminalizing anti-war protests against trump's war in mexico that will still be the law and constitional, text and meaning be damned

The internment of Japanese-Americans wasn't even a "could they get away with it" case - the Supreme Court gave it their blessing in Korematsu. And it was faithfully carried out by both civilian and military authorities, despite the blatant racism and obvious constitutional difficulties involved.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

The internment of Japanese-Americans wasn't even a "could they get away with it" case - the Supreme Court gave it their blessing in Korematsu. And it was faithfully carried out by both civilian and military authorities, despite the blatant racism and obvious constitutional difficulties involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz20lu2AM2k

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

twodot posted:

I don't understand how this is goalpost shifting, I'm discussing whether military members obey illegal orders, and the documented history of the military torturing people means either there is a precedent of obeying illegal orders, or someone is arguing torture is legal.

His name is "John Yoo."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture_Memos

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Indefinite detention is of course constitutional, and legal under international law

If we still had any Korean POWs in custody from the Korean War, we'd be under no legal obligation to release them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Correction: "War criminal John Yoo". Alternatively if you're a stickler, "torture apologist John Yoo."

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Correction: "War criminal John Yoo".

The Obama Justice Department doesn't agree with you.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

Also please answer my question about who would even have standing to contest the relevant laws are Constitutional and the President has some obligation to follow them, and what remedy they would seek

It is a debatable issue whether you have standing to sue for being forced to carry out what you think are illegal orders. You can read the briefings in Nathan Smith v Obama to understand the different sides of the argument (the case was recently dismissed on standing)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The Obama Justice Department doesn't agree with you.

Yeah, but you don't see him taking overseas trips to Spain or Germany either, do you?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Indefinite detention is of course constitutional, and legal under international law

If we still had any Korean POWs in custody from the Korean War, we'd be under no legal obligation to release them

Morbid curiousity: What international standards, if any, are set to define what constitutes a good faith effort to confirm a POW is in fact an enemy agent? What national standards or tribunals does the U.S. military use?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Yeah, but you don't see him taking overseas trips to Spain or Germany either, do you?

I quit stalking him in 2013, so I'm not sure.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Morbid curiousity: What international standards, if any, are set to define what constitutes a good faith effort to confirm a POW is in fact an enemy agent? What national standards or tribunals does the U.S. military use?
In the context of the war or terror and habeas cases in the US

quote:

3 In this case, the Government contends that it is lawfully authorized to detain Al Kandari because he was part of al Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated enemy forces. See Jt. List of Contested Issues, Docket No. [663]. Although the D.C. Circuit “has yet to delineate the precise contours of the ‘part of’ inquiry,” Barhoumi, 609 F.3d at 424, this Court is not without guidance. The Court of Appeals has emphasized that the focus of this inquiry is whether an individual is “functionally part of” al Qaeda, the Taliban or affiliated forces. Bensayah v. Obama, 610 F.3d 718, 725 (D.C.Cir.2010) (emphasis added). For example, while proof that “a detainee was part of the ‘command structure’ of al Qaeda *22 [ ] satisfies the requirement to show that he was ‘part of’ al Qaeda,” such a showing is not necessary. Awad, 608 F.3d at 11 (rejecting claim that “there must be a specific factual finding that [the detainee] was part of the ‘command structure’ of al Qaeda”); Bensayah, 610 F.3d at 725 (“That an individual operates within al Qaeda's formal command structure is surely sufficient but is not necessary to show he is ‘part of’ the organization.”). Similarly, proof that an individual actually fought for or on behalf of al Qaeda or the Taliban, while sufficient, is also not required to demonstrate that an individual is a “part of” such enemy forces. See Al–Bihani, 590 F.3d at 872–73. Ultimately, the determination whether an individual is a “part of” al Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces, “must be made on a case-by-case basis by using a functional rather a formal approach and by focusing upon the actions of the individual in relation to the organization.” Bensayah, 610 F.3d at 725.

The court looks at the evidence presented by both sides and makes a decision

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

welllllllllllll yes but you're obligated under Common Article 2 to return them to their home country as soon as possible.

Now if they're an unprivileged combatant, like everyone in Gitmo is, then lol there's no obligation. Hell, those guys aren't even entitled to Prisoner of War status.

None of which changes the fact that torture is illegal under domestic and international law, but we're talking detention, not torture. And detention, even indefinite detention, most absolutely is when there's an armed conflict.

Which, incidentally, is the standard. Armed conflict, which does not require any official "declaration of war" (and the 2001 AUMF would count regardless).

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

The Iron Rose posted:

welllllllllllll yes but you're obligated under Common Article 2 to return them to their home country as soon as possible.

Poor Georg Gärtner.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

twodot posted:

Korematsu is still valid precedent, so "Historically we've detained anyone we want, the three branches of government all agree we can detain whoever we want, therefore it's legal to detain everyone we want" doesn't really work for me as an argument. I'm really unclear on both 1) What sort of legal analysis you think a soldier should perform when evaluating whether to perform an order and 2) What sort of analysis you think the average soldier (or even an above average soldier) is capable of. From what you've written here if the President issued an order to round up all the Arabs because they share an ethnicity with someone we're at war with (note: I don't actually agree we're at war for this purpose, but we need to be for your argument to work), you seem to be arguing that not only would soldiers agree to do this, but that they should given that historical precedent backs up the legality of such an order.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for when you're asking what legal theory am I using the concludes that indefinite detention of people is illegal. Like clearly I have one. If you want to call it "The twodot Doctrine" we can, but I don't know where that gets us. Do you want me to distinguish between the prisoners at Guantanamo and some other prisoners where you think I've argued that indefinite detention of them is ok? I don't think I've done that, so I don't understand what you're asking for.
Korematsu has never been overturned, but that is very different from being valid precedent. It's also wholly irrelevant, because we aren't discussing detaining American citizens. There is a fairly clear-cut argument that Korematsu was wrongly decided because the government's interest failed to meet the 5th Amendment standard to deprive a person of liberty. Your argument has been that everyone involved in Guantanamo is following illegal orders, but you have not advanced any sort of explanation of why those orders are illegal or unconstitutional. This is an essential and underlying part of what you are arguing, and you can't handwave it as "The twodot Doctrine". I can't believe you aren't going to be banned for saying something that deliberately stupid and obtuse. The detention of enemy combatants for the duration of hostilities has been a longstanding part of the formal and normative laws of armed conflict, it is explicitly provided for under the Geneva Conventions, and has been recognized as legal by the Supreme Court. If you think it should be illegal, that is certainly a thing you could argue, but you have thus far totally failed to do so, and in any case you cannot reasonably accuse people of doing something unlawful for not following what you think the law should be.

Also, the fact that you are apparently unaware of the analysis of the lawfulness of orders that soldiers and officers are taught should give you some pause.

twodot posted:

I don't understand how this is goalpost shifting, I'm discussing whether military members obey illegal orders, and the documented history of the military torturing people means either there is a precedent of obeying illegal orders, or someone is arguing torture is legal. I think there are also other examples, I just assumed there would be the most agreement here.

Yes, I do think the story of the dude who married into wealth and power, achieved similar wealth and power, committed multiple felonies for no good reason, and avoided the consequences of those crimes only due to his wealth and power is a pretty good example of 4 star generals being just dudes.

Please cite a documented example since 1980 of a military member torturing a prisoner on the orders of their superiors.

Your rebuttal to my position that General Officers are political operators was "but General Petraeus." David Petraeus based his entire career on successful maneuvering through institutional and national politics. Was Bill Clinton not an otherwise savvy political operator because he nearly torpedoed his administration with a sex scandal? What the gently caress are you trying to say?

Mr. Nice! already answered your question (Congress, preventing/reversing any attempt to transfer detainees), so I felt no need to pile on.

twodot posted:

To be super clear, I don't even think the law that Congress passed is Constitutional in the first place, and the President should ignore it as any unconstitutional law.
On what basis are you making this judgement? What part of the U.S. Constitution prohibits indefinite detention of foreign enemy combatants? Your entire argument requires you to be able to offer a coherent answer to this extremely simple question.

twodot posted:

I forgot this, on the "ffffucking drone" comment (which I've never said). It's not that I'm blaming individual soldiers for following illegal orders. Most of them were forced into their position by the need to survive personally and possibly provide for loved ones, so I get why a person in that situation would prefer following illegal orders (which is very safe) over challenging orders that are in their view illegal, but as soldiers are not lawyers have at best a shaky view of what is illegal, and even if they are 100% correct the orders are illegal, challenging them is still a risky proposition both for their career and avoiding prison.
You stupid prick. We have an all volunteer military. You think our entire officer corps is composed of poor Mississippi dirt scrapers who had no way to feed their six kids without going to West Point or Annapolis? You think the best explanation of why there have been no widespread objections or refusals from the Guantanamo guard unit is that you have a better idea of what constitutes a lawful order than professional soldiers, or that everyone in the military who has rotated through the base in the last 15 years has been willing to sell their ethics for a paycheck and Tricare? What loving arrogance. How far up your own rear end do you have to be to type out this "oh, the only reason those poor dears don't agree with me is because they're terrified victims of circumstance" bullshit?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Please cite a documented example since 1980 of a military member torturing a prisoner on the orders of their superiors.

I'll refrain from posting Abu Gharib pictures here.

Can you explain how the actions of American military personnel at Abu Gharib aren't torture? Is it because they fail to meet some hair-splitting definition of torture techniques, and prisoners were merely detainee-abused to death? Or because there's no signed-in-triplicate written order to use specific methods of torture, just testimony about verbal orders and a documented "keep the prisoners compliant and talking, use whatever techniques you want, and we won't be asking any questions about what we hear you're doing" approach from senior leadership?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
He covered that above; his argument is that Abu Ghraib wasn't explicitly ordered, just tacitly allowed.

I'm not sure why "since 1980" matters, that seems an arbitrary cutoff.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

He covered that above; his argument is that Abu Ghraib wasn't explicitly ordered, just tacitly allowed.

Do you have a reason to think it was "tacitly allowed"?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

Hey I ain't agreeing with him here.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

That more or less fits with the official Army line, which (based on the court martials and punishments) seems to be that the low-ranking soldiers came up with all the torture entirely on their own without orders from anybody, and the senior officers at Abu Ghraib simply authorized some questionable things and failed to properly supervise and train their subordinates.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So who's the least sane Federal judge Trump could nominate? That seems like it'd be a safe bet

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

Korematsu has never been overturned, but that is very different from being valid precedent. It's also wholly irrelevant, because we aren't discussing detaining American citizens. There is a fairly clear-cut argument that Korematsu was wrongly decided because the government's interest failed to meet the 5th Amendment standard to deprive a person of liberty. Your argument has been that everyone involved in Guantanamo is following illegal orders, but you have not advanced any sort of explanation of why those orders are illegal or unconstitutional. This is an essential and underlying part of what you are arguing, and you can't handwave it as "The twodot Doctrine". I can't believe you aren't going to be banned for saying something that deliberately stupid and obtuse. The detention of enemy combatants for the duration of hostilities has been a longstanding part of the formal and normative laws of armed conflict, it is explicitly provided for under the Geneva Conventions, and has been recognized as legal by the Supreme Court. If you think it should be illegal, that is certainly a thing you could argue, but you have thus far totally failed to do so, and in any case you cannot reasonably accuse people of doing something unlawful for not following what you think the law should be.

Also, the fact that you are apparently unaware of the analysis of the lawfulness of orders that soldiers and officers are taught should give you some pause.

Your rebuttal to my position that General Officers are political operators was "but General Petraeus." David Petraeus based his entire career on successful maneuvering through institutional and national politics. Was Bill Clinton not an otherwise savvy political operator because he nearly torpedoed his administration with a sex scandal? What the gently caress are you trying to say?

Mr. Nice! already answered your question (Congress, preventing/reversing any attempt to transfer detainees), so I felt no need to pile on.
On what basis are you making this judgement? What part of the U.S. Constitution prohibits indefinite detention of foreign enemy combatants? Your entire argument requires you to be able to offer a coherent answer to this extremely simple question.
You stupid prick. We have an all volunteer military. You think our entire officer corps is composed of poor Mississippi dirt scrapers who had no way to feed their six kids without going to West Point or Annapolis? You think the best explanation of why there have been no widespread objections or refusals from the Guantanamo guard unit is that you have a better idea of what constitutes a lawful order than professional soldiers, or that everyone in the military who has rotated through the base in the last 15 years has been willing to sell their ethics for a paycheck and Tricare? What loving arrogance. How far up your own rear end do you have to be to type out this "oh, the only reason those poor dears don't agree with me is because they're terrified victims of circumstance" bullshit?

Wealthy volunteers are probably more likely to follow illegal orders because they see the people on the other side as their lessers, hth.

The army was politically unreliable when there was a draft, the NG was the old boys' club and somehow ended up shooting protesters. Were the full time military deployed on police duties nowadays, I would actually find it easier to imagine the army or marines opening fire than the NG (which is where the economic draft happens). For identical reasons.

The individual soldier doesn't matter, militaries are large groups.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FuturePastNow posted:

So who's the least sane Federal judge Trump could nominate? That seems like it'd be a safe bet

I'm quietly hoping he nominates his sister even though she's retired

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Discendo Vox posted:

From the official report on the whole thing

Findings of fact posted:

[After a previous incident of prisoner abuse at Camp Bucca]
Despite this documented abuse, there is no evidence that BG Karpinski ever attempted to remind 800th MP Soldiers of the requirements of the Geneva Conventions regarding detainee treatment or took any steps to ensure that such abuse was not repeated.

Testimony from soldiers who witnessed the abuse posted:

MI wanted to get them to talk. It is Grainer and Frederick’s [MP NCOs] job to do things for MI and OGA to get these people to talk.
[...]
I witnessed prisoners in the MI hold section, wing 1A being made to do various things that I would question morally. In Wing 1A we were told that they had different rules and different SOP for treatment. I never saw a set of rules or SOP for that section just word of mouth. The Soldier in charge of 1A was Corporal Granier. He stated that the Agents and MI Soldiers would ask him to do things, but nothing was ever in writing he would complain (sic).

Now, the report reviews all of this and comes to the conclusion that, gosh, discipline in the prison was just so bad that the MPs came up with the idea to abuse prisoners independently and nobody stopped them from carrying it out. Therefore, the officers in question were just staggeringly bad at their jobs and didn't give anybody any kind of explicit authorization to torture detainees.

The report also notes that soldiers were "asked" to perform specific acts of abuse by military intelligence personnel. Also, in the little "here's the people who did the right thing" section at the end, it's noted that at least two soldiers saw the abuses and immediately reported them up the chain of command. No action was taken until it became a PR nightmare.

Now, it doesn't meet Dead Reckoning's hypothetical of a direct written order to torture signed by the President of the United States. But, given the apparent explicit instructions to commit acts of abuse, and the complete failure of command to respond to or investigate reports of abuse, I believe we have reason to think it was at least "tacitly allowed."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't believe there are people honestly arguing that torture taking place under the Bush administration was just 'tacticly allowed' and not a thing being pushed (subtly or otherwise) from the administration itself. The people running Abu Gharib were fully aware and on board with what was going on there until it became an international incident.

FuturePastNow posted:

Peter Thiel. Or he picks his son-in-law who gets to be both a senior adviser and a member of the SCOTUS.

I'm kinda looking forward to Trump pardoning Kushner's dad for his past crimes and then seeing Fox News and right wing assholes say it's perfectly ok and Trump's draining the swamp of DC corruption or some other stupid poo poo that the right will accept no matter what.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

FuturePastNow posted:

Roy Moore.

Alternately, Gordon Klingenschmidtt.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

FuturePastNow posted:

Supreme Court Justice Joe Arpaio

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Supreme Court Justice Joe Arpaio

I was googling better places for Joe Arpaio and found this:

quote:

Obama's last-minute appointments to the Civil Rights commission will make it difficult for Trump to fix campus culture.

:allears:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't believe there are people honestly arguing that torture taking place under the Bush administration was just 'tacticly allowed' and not a thing being pushed (subtly or otherwise) from the administration itself. The people running Abu Gharib were fully aware and on board with what was going on there until it became an international incident.

Peter Thiel. Or he picks his son-in-law who gets to be both a senior adviser and a member of the SCOTUS.

I'm kinda looking forward to Trump pardoning Kushner's dad for his past crimes and then seeing Fox News and right wing assholes say it's perfectly ok and Trump's draining the swamp of DC corruption or some other stupid poo poo that the right will accept no matter what.

I'm not disagreeing with you about torture under Bush but 're: the military at Abu Ghraib it's not what you know it's what you can prove. As far as the CIA goes they're civilian. Dead Reckoning is on solid legal ground and he's being careful to qualify his claims.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/politics/supreme-court-blocks-special-elections-in-north-carolina.html?_r=0

This is super depressing.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

This is the usual response to a court finding district maps unconstitutional on racial grounds-- argue that it's too late to change them now, and so you might as well let the racist unconstitutional maps stand, because :shrug:.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you about torture under Bush but 're: the military at Abu Ghraib it's not what you know it's what you can prove. As far as the CIA goes they're civilian. Dead Reckoning is on solid legal ground and he's being careful to qualify his claims.

Does it count as solid legal ground if the prosecutors gave the most senior officer immunity in exchange for testifying against the second most senior officer, who had all charges related to detainee mistreatment dismissed because the investigators made incredibly basic procedural mistakes when investigating only those charges and not any of the others? Cover-ups and scapegoating are some of the US military's finest traditions.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

Does it count as solid legal ground if the prosecutors gave the most senior officer immunity in exchange for testifying against the second most senior officer, who had all charges related to detainee mistreatment dismissed because the investigators made incredibly basic procedural mistakes when investigating only those charges and not any of the others? Cover-ups and scapegoating are some of the US military's finest traditions.

Yes, it counts as solid legal grounds because that is the way our legal system works.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Correction: "War criminal John Yoo". Alternatively if you're a stickler, "torture apologist John Yoo."
Here's my, uh, favorite John Yoo quote. Apologies for Daily Kos.

quote:

When CNN host Fareed Zakaria asked him about CIA techniques like "forced rectal feeding", "threatening to rape the mothers of prisoners" and "people with broken limbs being forced to stand for hours and hours," Attorney Yoo said that would be against the rules (if it in fact it happened):

"Those are very troubling examples. They would not have been approved by the Justice Department. They were not approved by the Justice Department at the time...They were not supposed to be done and those people who did those are at risk legally because they were acting outside their orders."

But during a December 2005 symposium in Chicago, Yoo argued that under his theory of the "unitary executive" and virtually unlimited presidential power as Commander-in-Chief, President Bush could legally order those tortures and much worse. Yoo was asked:

"If the president deems that he's got to torture somebody, including by crushing the testicles of the person's child, there is no law that can stop him?"

Continue reading below about John Yoo's balls below:

"No treaty," replied John Yoo, the former Justice Department official who wrote the crucial memos justifying President Bush's policies on torture, "war on terror" detainees and domestic surveillance without warrants. Yoo made these assertions at a public debate in December in Chicago, where he also espoused the radical notion of the "unitary executive" -- the idea that the president as commander in chief is the sole judge of the law, unbound by hindrances such as the Geneva Conventions, and possesses inherent authority to subordinate independent government agencies to his fiat. This concept is the cornerstone of the Bush legal doctrine.

Yoo's interlocutor, Douglass Cassel, professor at Notre Dame Law School, pointed out that the theory of the "unitary executive" posits the president above the other branches of government: "Also no law by Congress. That is what you wrote in the August 2002 memo" (one of Yoo's memos justifying torture). "I think it depends on why the president thinks he needs to do that," said Yoo.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Most Americans support torture in certain circumstances, so I'm not sure he's an "apologist" for torture. It seems a minority of Americans owe him an apology.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Here's my, uh, favorite John Yoo quote. Apologies for Daily Kos.

He is not contradicting himself, he is just saying that those specific tortures were not authorized but theoretically permissible under his ludicrous-on-its-face legal theory of president-as-divine-emperor.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Most Americans support torture in certain circumstances, so I'm not sure he's an "apologist" for torture. It seems a minority of Americans owe him an apology.

You're either being a funster, or you may want to look up what "apologist" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dont even fink about it posted:

He is not contradicting himself, he is just saying that those specific tortures were not authorized but theoretically permissible under his ludicrous-on-its-face legal theory of president-as-divine-emperor.

Ahh poo poo I forgot this part of the Bush years. Haven't forgot the "we don't torture prisoners" ("torture" and "prisoners" being definitions micro-engraved on the tips of a set of high-speed all-terrain motorized goalposts) part though.

Trump's going to end up outlawing CTRs, gutting section 314 of the patriot act, and get the Bank Secrecy Act repealed, because one time a teller called to verify available funds for a check despite him swearing it was good.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 11, 2017