Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gorewar posted:

Not to mention that it's weird that an intergalactic military force representing hundreds of species and worlds and billions of people would only have one academy that officers can come from.

Yeah, it would make more sense if there were campuses on pretty much every major Federation planet, or at least the big core worlds. Maybe San Francisco is just the primary campus for human applicants and people just single it out with a particular reverence because it was the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Tell you what, I'll trade you straight up. You can keep the old beat-up worn-out effects reels for TOS and I'll take the cheap but serviceable remaster for B5.

I would make that trade in an instant.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'll take the old beat-up space shots if I can borrow your copy of the hypothetical B5 blu-rays.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Namaer posted:

What the hell is with the Starfleet admissions process in Coming of Age? Why did Wesley have to take the entrance exam and that random planet, and why is it a competition? If someone meets the standards why would Starfleet turn them away? And if it is a competition then why wouldn't you go to a planet with the fewest people testing for admission?

By TNG, isn't it drilled into us that Starfleet is for the best of the best of the best (and not only in terms of ability or intelligence, but also personal ethics and honor and professionalism etc.) It's a miracle anyone ever got in. It's like weedout college classes where they deliberately or automatically fail out a high percentage of students, as a mechanism to control overall enrollment in a given program or major. I don't know if that's a thing anymore but it's a bummer when the professor tells you on the first day that 20% of the class or whatever will be getting an F.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Which makes it all the more puzzling that Barclay got in.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, but "Coming of Age" took place before Starfleet lost 40 ships at Wolf 359, and before hundreds of ships got blown up in the Dominion War. You can bet that after all that poo poo went down, Starfleet was like "wanna join Starfleet? Great, you're in."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orrrr the first season writing was a dumpster fire.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Most people in Starfleet don't go to the academy, much like most people in the U.S. armed forces don't attend West Point/Annapolis. The reqs for the Starfleet academy seem pretty analogous, right down to requiring an endorsment to even apply (in some instances at least).

Pakled posted:

Nepotism, probably

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Which would make in doubly stupid if Wesley didn't get in first try, what with one parent in Starfleet, and the other who died while in Starfleet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't that for advance entry? You had to be a certain age to enter unless you were a douchey super genius.

This is really the only way any of it makes sense.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MorgaineDax posted:

Which would make in doubly stupid if Wesley didn't get in first try, what with one parent in Starfleet, and the other who died while in Starfleet.

He's a legacy, he should automatically be enrolled whether he cares to or not.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Number_6 posted:

It's a miracle anyone ever got in. It's like weedout college classes where they deliberately or automatically fail out a high percentage of students, as a mechanism to control overall enrollment in a given program or major.
Considering every starfleet office needs to have a grasp of warp theory, engineering, exobiology, exotic matter, construction, programming and computer science, as well as a bunch of other random trivia about Earth, time periods, and different cultures/races, it's a miracle anyone gets posted before they're 30.

They're all a bunch of space MacGuyvers.

We've been hit by an inverse gravimetric wave that's causing the shields to compress our bulkheads!

Captain, the primitive Earth medicines used a concept called "trepanning" to relieve pressure from a patient with high blood stress, if we apply that concept here --

Yes! Engineering, use the deflector to direct a modulated pulse at random intervals across the shield!
Wait -- input this algorithm into the computer to make sure the shield harmonics are sympathetic.

Captain! Shields returning to normal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Starfleet Academy obviously has a very broad core curriculum, which is certainly true for the three US military academies. I was an astronautical engineering major but I had to take classes on history, psychology, creative writing, public speaking, and philosophy, to name a few. The saying was "we're so well rounded that we're pointless".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, every college makes you take gen eds, this is just the future version of that.

Also, without money to chase, people are a lot more well rounded. Easier to keep up with that stuff when you're not working 80 hour weeks trying to make six figures. Also, no time wasted commuting!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I bet Starfleet Academy has some bitchin space philosophy classes

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Rewatching DS9 I had forgotten how effective Quark was at killing Jem'Hadar. Seriously don't gently caress with Quark's family.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
How does the super genius kid who has literally been driving around the Federation flagship NOT get in?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CaveGrinch posted:

How does the super genius kid who has literally been driving around the Federation flagship NOT get in?

The computer's driving the ship, they just let the kid turn the keys and make the engine noise.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

CaveGrinch posted:

The same way the extremely talented on his way up First Officer never moves onto his own command.

edit:You would think what with holodecks and near instant communication that the Federation would have a very good distance learning program.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

remusclaw posted:

The same way the extremely talented on his way up First Officer never moves onto his own command.

He's been offered positions he just turns them down that's a bit different.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Riker wants to be Captain of the Enterprise, isn't that obvious?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

He's been offered positions he just turns them down that's a bit different.

Oh I know, but it's all about keeping on regulars. Like I said above, the Fed really should offer online courses.

WampaLord posted:

Riker wants to be Captain of the Enterprise, isn't that obvious?

Problem is, so does Picard.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Double post.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

I could absolutely buy that Barclay just breezed through tests and exams, and it's the real world where he has trouble. That happens in real life.

What's less apparent is how he ever got promoted.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Problem is, so does Picard.

Really, Riker is dumb. Picard didn't become Captain of the Enterprise from being First Officer, he was already a captain.

Riker should have taken a captainship somewhere else, then requested to be transferred back to the Enterprise once Picard retires.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I could absolutely buy that Barclay just breezed through tests and exams, and it's the real world where he has trouble. That happens in real life.

Half the academy and officer training that we've seen involves holodeck and simulators. I bet he wows the brass with his grace under pressure on stuff like Kobayashi Maru but nobody realizes it's just because he thrives in simulated environments.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The same way he got on the Enterprise, superiors wanting him away from them.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

He's old enough that he was probably an Ensign for like 10 years before making Lt.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Captain, the primitive Earth medicines used a concept called "trepanning" to relieve pressure from a patient with high blood stress, if we apply that concept here --

Remember the episode where Crusher tells an orderly to splint someone's broken limb and has to explain what a splint is and how to apply one because the guy doesn't seem to know what it is?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

He's old enough that he was probably an Ensign for like 10 years before making Lt.

Oh, like Kim!

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Just watched The Arsenal of Freedom and Riker mentions he was offered a command out of the academy but opted to serve on the Enterprise instead.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone have a link to that Axawatch site, or whatever it was called? The site that basically runs down all the poo poo the Axanar guys have been doing, need it for an argument.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Namaer posted:

Just watched The Arsenal of Freedom and Riker mentions he was offered a command out of the academy but opted to serve on the Enterprise instead.

It was probably one of those single-nacelle cannoli class ships.

Can only go odd warp numbers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Namaer posted:

It's another case of the floating continuity from early seasons. In the later half of TNG you find out that Riker served on at least two different ships before he was on the Enterprise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Riker, when confronted with a genderless species: "Well, who leads when you dance?" "Without genders, I suspect your people don't have as many arguments." :riker:

Waiting for Picard to retire or die is the only way that moron was ever going to get a command of his own.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Riker, when confronted with a genderless species: "Well, who leads when you dance?" "Without genders, I suspect your people don't have as many arguments." :riker:

Waiting for Picard to retire or die is the only way that moron was ever going to get a command of his own.

"Sir, Starfleet Command is calling and asking why we've been making so many unscheduled detours to Risa."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Veotax posted:

Anyone have a link to that Axawatch site, or whatever it was called? The site that basically runs down all the poo poo the Axanar guys have been doing, need it for an argument.

Axamonitor.com.

Here's a writeup I did of some of their more egregious stuff.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

"Captain Riker, did you or did you not transfer the entire staff of Cetacean Ops off the Enterprise so you could turn their habitat into a jacuzzi?"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FuturePastNow posted:

I bet Starfleet Academy has some bitchin space philosophy classes

But no Vulcan ethics professors.

remusclaw posted:

edit:You would think what with holodecks and near instant communication that the Federation would have a very good distance learning program.

But then we wouldn't get extremely :3: stories like how babby Sisko transported home for dinner every night his first week.