Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's really not. Yes there are a few jobs in this field but most of them have gone away in the past 10 years. 90% of "video production" just happens on youtube or on phones nowadays.

Well sure, most lovely Youtube videos for people that don't care to make their Drone video or Vlog not suck, but for those that care about their work a little bit, and with the 4K drone video market exploding, I don't think that's entirely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Gwaihir posted:

Right, and the question remains, when are you seeing usage like that at home, heh?

I think from their perspective it's mostly "it costs us little and there's actually a reason to, so why not?"

I looked into whether this could cause any real serious problems, and it seems like its probably can't really. PCIe (at least the spec?) supports QoS, so network or audio devices should be able to take away as much bandwidth as it needs from the SSD. So probably no obvious problems, like audio skips or packet loss. Unless that's not actually implemented, or all the drivers suck.

But at any rate, I think adding another 4 CPU lanes to consumer hardware is a very good idea, even if it's not an amazing win. There's a common device type that can use them, so why not.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

There is always FD-SOI for GloFo and AMD, Of which they have 22nm, 12nm, and 7nm FD-SOI. I have no idea what the hurdles would be moving from finFET to FD-SOI or whether FD-SOI is even suitable for such things, but it's apparently a much less complex process if not more expensive in small volume.

Also keep in mind that GloFo's 7nm finFET description sounds more like Samsung/TSMC 10nm and they aren't planning EUV for the first run. My guess is AMD does 14nm until mid 2018 (So Zen, Raven, and Zen+, which is likely an update to AVX-512), and shifts over to first generation "7nm GloFo" late 2018, early 2019 with another patch of chips arriving in mid 2020 using EUV if it's available. This is based on AMD's own roadmap for their GPU's, as Vega 20 is supposed to be a 7nm chip, but that's likely on the back of GloFo's promises.

Yeah, good luck on getting the required transistor density with planar after going FinFET. That is gonna result in another Fiji-like situation with the die bumping up against that 600nm^2 size again.

GloFo are going to try to do some stupid poo poo like... I dunno, V-TFET mixed with GAA and then we'll all be sorry.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does GloFo do business with any other company and product? If so Who/What?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EdEddnEddy posted:

They build the actual chips for a tons of companies, including Qualcomm and Broadcom.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

They make billions from chips (and not just CPUs) for low-end phones that still sell by the ton because smartphones get broken all the loving time

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Notably, chips that are nowhere near as bleeding-edge as what AMD is trying to do.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They make billions from chips (and not just CPUs) for low-end phones that still sell by the ton because smartphones get broken all the loving time

Pretty much, nobody gives a poo poo who makes the 32nm 3 year old qualcomm SOC for a $50 retail android smartphone, so GoFlo obviously makes a ton of them.

Video editing on anything HD takes god damned forever without fast storage, and when you actually have a lot of video/audio tracks and are doing effects and post-processing work, having a non-potato machine to do it on can make the difference between a video a week and a video every 2 weeks, just on the scrub/preview time alone.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/818429683633127424

6C/12T is a confirmed thing, runs at about 65W, wonder why just two cores seems to make a large difference in power consumption, guess cache?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I was able to pick up a mobo + 'cat core Athlon for $44 today ($40 off mobo with CPU purchase). Pared with the 150gb SSD and 4gigs of DDR3 I had lying around, plus a PicoPSU/case combo I grabbed for $20, I got a full HTPC system for less than the cost of a comparable Compute Stick.

There are dozens of us out there, using the Athlon 5350 for things. I will probably try and offload this build to my niece in 4 months, but I wonder if Bristol Ridge would match this sort of niche?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

6C/12T is a confirmed thing, runs at about 65W, wonder why just two cores seems to make a large difference in power consumption, guess cache?
pretty much, yes, but it could also be the difference between 67 (which rounds down to 65 for purposes of OEMs determining cooling solutions) and 90w (which rounds up to 95 for the aforementioned purpose)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/818429683633127424

This would be amazing just for miniITX cases. All of the i7 4C/8T run too hot for most super small form factor cases when using a small heatsink.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rabid Snake posted:

This would be amazing just for miniITX cases. All of the i7 4C/8T run too hot for most super small form factor cases when using a small heatsink.
35/45w T processors exist for i7s, but they'll be a bit more expensive than the regular ones

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rabid Snake posted:

That thing has gotta be clocked low-ish to get 6 cores into 65W, or AMD really has knocked one out of the park.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

That thing has gotta be clocked low-ish to get 6 cores into 65W, or AMD really has knocked one out of the park.

Could simply be the difference between Samsung and GloFo

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

35/45w T processors exist for i7s, but they'll be a bit more expensive than the regular ones

This has always driven me up the wall with i5's in particular, but then I'm guessing Intel is trying to prevent C2D shenanigans with people buying at i3 prices and overclocking to get i7 performance, etc.

Won't be an issue on AMD processors, so unless you're concerned about overclocking, get the cheapest for the core count you want, get an X300/B350/X370 and overclock. Going to be weird capturing the feeling on 1998-2006 overclocking again.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

This has always driven me up the wall with i5's in particular, but then I'm guessing Intel is trying to prevent C2D shenanigans with people buying at i3 prices and overclocking to get i7 performance, etc.
The beancounters that were seriously worried about the rear end pennies of revenue from enthusiasts were making GBS threads their pants something fierce when BCLK overclocking happened and had to invent an excuse to try to stop it, despite having no reason to. Intel! :eng99:

Unfortunately desktop Skylake remains a better platform than desktop Kaby Lake regardless because mobo manufacturers stopped giving a poo poo and reenabled BCLK tomfoolery the month after the patch so lol

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pretty much, nobody gives a poo poo who makes the 32nm 3 year old qualcomm SOC for a $50 retail android smartphone, so GoFlo obviously makes a ton of them.

Video editing on anything HD takes god damned forever without fast storage, and when you actually have a lot of video/audio tracks and are doing effects and post-processing work, having a non-potato machine to do it on can make the difference between a video a week and a video every 2 weeks, just on the scrub/preview time alone.

Just working on my 1440P video from a GoPro goes immensely faster on my Raid-0 EVO 850 SSD setup than it does on Raid-0 2TB WD Blacks (duh) but even with 1GB/s transfer potential, I'm 100% saturating the drives with CPU time to spare.

Sure you can do just fine with slow, but there is plenty of consumer CPU power that can utilize super fast storage options for sure.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just working on my 1440P video from a GoPro goes immensely faster on my Raid-0 EVO 850 SSD setup than it does on Raid-0 2TB WD Blacks (duh) but even with 1GB/s transfer potential, I'm 100% saturating the drives with CPU time to spare.

Sure you can do just fine with slow, but there is plenty of consumer CPU power that can utilize super fast storage options for sure.

HD video editing is one of the few things I can think of that Joe home-user can really see the difference between an 850 EVO and a Intel 750 or other PCIe NVMe drive. Without making a SD preview/scrub placeholder file or other form of lower bandwidth witchery, any time you scrub through the video takes a longass time in HD.

eames
May 9, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Won't be an issue on AMD processors, so unless you're concerned about overclocking, get the cheapest for the core count you want, get an X300/B350/X370 and overclock. Going to be weird capturing the feeling on 1998-2006 overclocking again.

I want to believe

(pencil and spacer not included)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

I want to believe

(pencil and spacer not included)
crunch

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lol, totally forgot about those pencil days and thank god never had a crunch moment

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I liked how if the HSF wasn't properly seated and functional the chip would melt down after a couple seconds, almost happened to once but I cut the power to the machine just in time.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Regardless on how Vega turns out, looks like Zen is going to be a hit

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/818932115270209537

My guess is they can easily get a full product stack going with this kind of binning. Do 4/6/8 core models with hyperthreading and all the L3, then do second tier 4/6/8s with no hyperthreading and disabled L3 for the very bottom. Absolutely zero need to involve Bristol Ridge in the line up if volume is high enough, and this absolutely murders Intels low end poo poo. Discontinue in 2018 with Zen+ and Raven.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, good luck on getting the required transistor density with planar after going FinFET. That is gonna result in another Fiji-like situation with the die bumping up against that 600nm^2 size again.

GloFo are going to try to do some stupid poo poo like... I dunno, V-TFET mixed with GAA and then we'll all be sorry.

I wanted to return to this for a second and ask what the density difference is like? Would it be possible to do Zen on FDX 12nm? Because I know if GloFo and wild claims are a thing in the fab industry, so grain of salt on this

quote:

GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ new 12FDX technology is built on a 12nm fully-depleted silicon-on-insulator (FD-SOI) platform, enabling the performance of 10nm FinFET with better power consumption and lower cost than 16nm FinFET. The platform offers a full node of scaling benefit, delivering a 15 percent performance boost over today’s FinFET technologies and as much as 50 percent lower power consumption.

Makes it sounds like FDX 12nm is better than current 14nm finFET, even if by single digit percentages. I have no idea if GloFos 12nm could do real performance parts but it at least sounds promising for a different segment of chips, like say AMDs K12.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Isn't FinFET actually worse density with the tradeoff of having better drive current and way less leakage?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FaustianQ posted:

My guess is they can easily get a full product stack going with this kind of binning. Do 4/6/8 core models with hyperthreading and all the L3, then do second tier 4/6/8s with no hyperthreading and disabled L3 for the very bottom. Absolutely zero need to involve Bristol Ridge in the line up if volume is high enough, and this absolutely murders Intels low end poo poo. Discontinue in 2018 with Zen+ and Raven.

I really want to see what Zen can do because Intel's mainstream product stack is getting ridiculous: nothing really makes much sense in there between a $64 G4560 to a $330 7700K. I sure as hell won't buy a 4C/4T chip for $200+ in 2017.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

I wanted to return to this for a second and ask what the density difference is like? Would it be possible to do Zen on FDX 12nm? Because I know if GloFo and wild claims are a thing in the fab industry, so grain of salt on this

I will have to talk to some people and get an actual measurement, because there is a lot of GloFo yapping on the internet about blah blah blah, 12nm FDX beats 14nm FinFET, but no SEM images of 12nm FDX silicon to analyze. Which makes sense, I suppose, they're still in risk production.

Whatever it is, the way that they are angling their inherited IBM FD-SOI process is for IOT garbage, which leads me to believe that whatever the end product, it will not avail itself to Summit Ridge. Maybe ULV BristolRaven Ridge going forward? An Atom competitor, perhaps?

Unfortunately, I can only tell you at this moment that the difference in density is > 1.

(Writing this down for later: Samsung's contacted gate pitch is 78nm and absolute minimum metal pitch is 67nm.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 11, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

If you're going to do anything but Zen for ULV, might as well go Cat cores, which do it way better.

Isn't Power 8 on 22nm FD-SOI?

EDIT: For substance, Ryzen launch confirmed for February, possibly pre GDC.
http://videocardz.com/65571/amd-ryzen-to-launch-at-gdc2017

Which means SKU leaks soon, so soon, and pricing :bisonyes:

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 11, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Beat me to it, makes sense with the x300/370 motherboards coming out late February. They're saying that it's going to be a real launch but I wonder whether they'll release the 6/4 core parts at the same time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

If you're going to do anything but Zen for ULV, might as well go Cat cores, which do it way better.

Isn't Power 8 on 22nm FD-SOI?

EDIT: For substance, Ryzen launch confirmed for February, possibly pre GDC.
http://videocardz.com/65571/amd-ryzen-to-launch-at-gdc2017

Which means SKU leaks soon, so soon, and pricing :bisonyes:

That's obviously not the case, as Stoney Ridge is already out, and it is a construction core with a 15W TDP at the low end. Furthermore, cat and construction cores are 28nm designs, I find it hard to believe that AMD will retain any 28nm designs parallel to Zen and its derivatives going from 2H2017 onwards, and I believe what I remember of roadmaps is what makes me think this.

edit: I was right, I had forgotten that Raven Ridge had parts as low a TDP as 4W.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 11, 2017

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

MaxxBot posted:

I liked how if the HSF wasn't properly seated and functional the chip would melt down after a couple seconds, almost happened to once but I cut the power to the machine just in time.

I did this on a Athlon 64 something or another. Burned up instantly , smoke and pop

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MaxxBot posted:

That and when pencils stopped working, I used old copper paint for window defoggers and some masking tape to connect bridges :getin: pain in the rear end sometimes but worth it for that FSB bump

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

That and when pencils stopped working, I used old copper paint for window defoggers and some masking tape to connect bridges :getin: pain in the rear end sometimes but worth it for that FSB bump

http://i.imgur.com/78YKk.gif

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

penus penus penus posted:

I did this on a Athlon 64 something or another. Burned up instantly , smoke and pop

Great video from back in the day demonstrating the utility of thermal throttling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Supposedly there's been a leak that hints at Ryzen launch before AMD's session at GDC, so by March 3rd.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11031/amd-set-to-launch-ryzen-before-march-3rd-meeting-q1-target

More like threadshitter, am i right!?
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 12, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

please call SMT "threadripper" please call SMT "threadripper" please call SMT "threadripper"

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
Have they released the official benchmarks for the ryzen chipset yet? I've heard the leaked ones apparently skew the performance of the intel chips to make them appear slower than they really are in the comparisons.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

AbrahamSlam posted:

Have they released the official benchmarks for the ryzen chipset yet? I've heard the leaked ones apparently skew the performance of the intel chips to make them appear slower than they really are in the comparisons.
The only benchmarks that have been seen so far are leaks. Any benchmarks released by AMD themselves will probably be the most skewed of all, because all hardware companies do that. Reviews by 3rd parties will be the thing to look at, as always. Those won't hit until the chips are officially launched which still nobody knows exactly when but it sounds like maybe February.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AbrahamSlam posted:

specifically, the 6900k was demoed with two channels of ram, which also happens to be the maximum amount of channels ryzen supports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Which is fine, because the gains from using quad-channel memory over dual-channel have never been statistically, price-performance, or realistically significant, unless you're doing some crazy-rear end compute poo poo. This approach by AMD is totally justified. (Only having dual-channel, I mean. We already knew that AMD was going to skew some benchmarks somehow, we just didn't know *how* yet.)

Naples, on the other hand, I think I saw a thing showing that Naples will have 8-channel memory? Now there's a chip that will probably need it, if the way AMD wants to handle manipulating large data sets by default pans out.

• Locked thread