Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Lord Koth posted:

Uh, something seems really, REALLY hosed up in that second screencap. Ship you're in is apparently an Akizuki, but you've apparently managed 160k damage with only 48 shots. Also secondary hits in a ship that doesn't have any. Somehow I think you've transposed your games together in that image.

I'm spectating that guy. He was a pro akizuki though, 5 kills and communicating properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

no bones about it posted:

Thats because Wargaming hosed up and gave the clan to a random pubbie when they created it, because they are stupid as gently caress. So no, SEAMN is not a goon clan.

So, uh, how did that work? Are you saying that the clan in the OP is no longer controlled by goons?

Or are they two separate entities with the same tag as an artifact of the clan beta.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 10, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Iceshade posted:

I'm spectating that guy. He was a pro akizuki though, 5 kills and communicating properly.

Yeah, that'd explain it. Noticed the weirdness in the ribbons, didn't notice the spectator indicators down below for the camera.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

e: Oh now I get it, nevermind.

Have a Pensacola instead

Good ship for learning wasd hax

xthetenth posted:

He hasn't figured out it's a bidet yet.

What's that about my spider keeper-outerer?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 10, 2017

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

NTRabbit posted:

e: Oh now I get it, nevermind.

Have a Pensacola instead

Good ship for learning wasd hax

What's that about my spider keeper-outerer?

Look at this fucker actually winning games he has done well in :frogout:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

So, uh, how did that work? Are you saying that the clan in the OP is no longer controlled by goons?

Or are they two separate entities with the same tag as an artifact of the clan beta.

That OP is almost 2 years old, and the original SEAMN clan was a WoT clan thing while we were hoping that Wargaming would just expand the clan functionality to WoWS. They did not do this, and their half-baked clan solution made it so you can wind up with a different WoWS clan than your WoT clan. They acknowledged Pacra applied to get the SEAMN clan tag, and then whoever was assigning clans in the beta hosed it up, denied everything about loving it up, and then they merged it wholesale back into WoWS. Pacra has asked about them fixing it, and Wargaming has pretty much told him to piss up a rope.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That OP is almost 2 years old, and the original SEAMN clan was a WoT clan thing while we were hoping that Wargaming would just expand the clan functionality to WoWS. They did not do this, and their half-baked clan solution made it so you can wind up with a different WoWS clan than your WoT clan. They acknowledged Pacra applied to get the SEAMN clan tag, and then whoever was assigning clans in the beta hosed it up, denied everything about loving it up, and then they merged it wholesale back into WoWS. Pacra has asked about them fixing it, and Wargaming has pretty much told him to piss up a rope.

So basically we need to ccome up with a better name than SEAMN for the goon clan, so that when the heat death of the universe arrives, we can still say we've done more than Wargaming has for WoWs clan stuff.

e: Also the Hatsuharu is the poster child for WG having no idea what to do with DDs. A ship this incredibly bad at a non-newbie tier should never have been allowed to leave testing.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 10, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

e: Also the Hatsuharu is the poster child for WG having no idea what to do with DDs. A ship this incredibly bad at a non-newbie tier should never have been allowed to leave testing.

Wait NTRabbit is always wrong so this leaves me confused as the Hatsuharu is literal garbage.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Okay the thread is now about brainstorming new clan names just in case, preferably ones that won't get banned or not accepted...innuendo is a fine line to walk.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

[PUMPN] - Just pumping out hot (HE) loads all over the enemy team

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
[SODOMY] - Just sodomy.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
[HEMEN] - HE Men. Nothing to see here

e: or [THEMEN]. We're not men, we're THE men!

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 10, 2017

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
[AKBAR] - Death to Infidels

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

YEMEN - We are from Yemen

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
[THALR] Hi guyth, we're thailorth

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

[TKBIR] -alluaha akbar

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure we tried, and that any variation of a phrase or even logo about islamic warfare was shitcanned by WGNA in tanks

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Spent the rest of my paypal bucks on boxes and got a Lo Yang.

2nd battle in it, an enemy Moshka somehow found a way to eat 6 of my torps for 99% of his hp (died from flooding). :psyduck:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is there any point to playing CVs above T6 or so? It seems like any time I play my Ryujo, I get uptiered into a match full of boats that just devour my planes with no real effort and little chance at meaningful damage from me.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Devorum posted:

Is there any point to playing CVs .....?

If you push through to higher tiers you can dump ridiculous damage on people but yeah, everyone seems to have more fun when there are no CVs including CV players.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Devorum posted:

Is there any point to playing CVs above T6 or so? It seems like any time I play my Ryujo, I get uptiered into a match full of boats that just devour my planes with no real effort and little chance at meaningful damage from me.

6 is the worst tier because you're getting uptiered constantly into tier 8 games. Tier 8 AA will murderfuck your planes. Even DDs at that tier can do real damage.

My advice on the Ryujo is to focus squarely on enemy DDs. Get good at manually torping and divebombing them. You can still have a huge impact on the game if you sink or heavily damage a DD or two, and keep the rest permaspotted. Ignore T8 BBs entirely, even the Amagi has enough AA to shred you. The Tirpitz and Bismarck are extremely deadly, and the North Carolina is an absolute 100% No-Fly Zone. Don't go within 5km at all, ever.

You're seriously better off going after cruisers, particularly IJN cruisers, if you have no other targets.

Note that the Hiryuu has the same problem the Ryujo does. You get the exact same low-health TBs on the Hiryuu that you have in the Ryujo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

6 is the worst tier because you're getting uptiered constantly into tier 8 games. Tier 8 AA will murderfuck your planes. Even DDs at that tier can do real damage.

I had one game in my Akizuki where I ended up with 25 plane kills because the enemy Ryujo just insisted on continuously flying his planes around within my AA. It was a bit absurd. It's not like he didn't know I was there either, because he was occasionally flat out overflying me.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I believe demonR6 applied for it and was denied, not myself. (edit - oops, it was Hazdoc.)

Note that not only [SEAMN] is taken, but a completely unrelated to SA, Goon Squadron exists as well - [GNSQD] http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/99638-goon-squadron-incompetent-by-choice-gnsqd/ (You have to login to view clan threads.)

Pacra fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 10, 2017

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

[WUTNG] - ain't nothing ta gently caress with

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Speaking of guild names, I still find Pansy, Heer as Volk funny as hell. Muslims for Marriage Equality was also hilarious.

I'm thinking of a gay, muslim, Admiral Akbar for the goon clan. I'd have to steak [AKBAR] for the ticker.

Also, I bought five Captain's boxes, played Flamu's rant video, and got camo in every one. I was really hoping for a Nikolai and wish they would just sell the thing. :smith:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

[WUTNG] - ain't nothing ta gently caress with

Voting this.

Thanks for the Ryujo tips. I have about 20K more XP until the Hiryu...not terribly excited to hear it's not any better.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Hiryuu does have better matchmaking, which is nice--you'll be seeing T8s less even though you're a tier higher which is loving dumb. But you'll be going up against Saipans which is not so nice and in fact terrible.

My only advice for playing against Saipans is to go whole-hog in trying to kill them straightaway. Trying to outplay them is very dicey even if they're an inferior player.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I'm starting to become pretty disillusioned with the BB class. Apart from a scant few distinct ones (Kongo, Bismarck, Kaiser and Konig, Gneisenau, Nagato), whenever I division with by buddies in them I just don't have fun anymore, and even on the ones I like, I struggle a bit. Maybe it's because the majority of my games are on Battleships already so I've seen what the class has to offer, but it just feels like going through the paces with them: lumber into a position, hope your team and enemy ships show up, groundhog day ensues.

I used to hate DD play but now that I've watched a few Flammu videos and learned how to properly use smoke and do damage with them, they're a lot more enjoyable to me. You can get anywhere on the map you want, you can relocate, you can deny areas with torps, you can start fires and annoy people with your guns, you can spot for your team, you can smoke, you can even defensive AA and sonar nowadays with them... it's a lot more exciting with them. I'm even coming around on CA's since the gameplay is just so exciting whenever you're in one.

I bought the Kirov and the Izyaslav and honestly, it's been like discovering the game all over again.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Shiny Horse is overpowered.

(Okay, so I was top tier and one of the kills was an Arkansas Beta that had been dragged in, but still. Only ever had 6 krakens and two of them have been in the last two days in the Scharnhorst)

I've got a replay file - what do I do with it?

Scharnhorst is also for noobs, I was informed yesterday. By a North Carolina pilot who, as he obviously can't have been a noob himself, must have had a cunning plan for dealing with the face full of torpedoes he got after we charged headlong into each other...

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Concealment allows destroyers a lot of map control, whether be it simply spotting or area denial. The ability to dictate engagements a majority of the time enables you to plan at the drop of a cat instead of having to chart your route out beforehand like in a battleship. Constant harassment from inside smoke and over islands can dissuade enemy teams from pushing even if destroyer guns aren't the most punishing. The threat of torpedoes usually forces people to turn prematurely if they see you, creating area denial. Battleships largely offer firepower and big hp pools, but their inflexibility makes them a chore to play and they are unable to flex efficiently and on top of that they're often forced to go to the same positions because they're important to hold and they're the only ones who can do it.

Battleships are for dorks.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

OSad posted:

I'm starting to become pretty disillusioned with the BB class. Apart from a scant few distinct ones (Kongo, Bismarck, Kaiser and Konig, Gneisenau, Nagato), whenever I division with by buddies in them I just don't have fun anymore, and even on the ones I like, I struggle a bit. Maybe it's because the majority of my games are on Battleships already so I've seen what the class has to offer, but it just feels like going through the paces with them: lumber into a position, hope your team and enemy ships show up, groundhog day ensues.

I used to hate DD play but now that I've watched a few Flammu videos and learned how to properly use smoke and do damage with them, they're a lot more enjoyable to me. You can get anywhere on the map you want, you can relocate, you can deny areas with torps, you can start fires and annoy people with your guns, you can spot for your team, you can smoke, you can even defensive AA and sonar nowadays with them... it's a lot more exciting with them. I'm even coming around on CA's since the gameplay is just so exciting whenever you're in one.

I bought the Kirov and the Izyaslav and honestly, it's been like discovering the game all over again.

If you think Izyaslav is exciting, wait until you get to the latter Russian DDs (all the way through 5 to 10.) They're adrenaline in a tin can and even the 'mediocre' ones (Ognevoi and Tashkent) still offer the same gameplay style.

Russian CLs unfortunately get more boring with the T7-T9 choices, peaking at Budyonny and Molotov at T6 and Moskva at T10.

V wow, how did I forget the Kutuzov? Peak Russian CL gameplay but with smoke. We had a triple Kutuzov division last night, highly entertaining.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
[PBUH]Pirate Dingys

Edit, Sorry Pacra, but you missed the best Russian cruiser, the Kutuzov, that thing is just goddamned fun. Especially in a div. Smoke bros smoking pubbies for days.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 10, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

They extended the sale. :smithicide:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Look at these super unicum scrubs, think they're hot poo poo.

they're pretty good :ssh:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Aw, crap. They very nearly suckered me in again after I got an Anshan and an Atlanta in supercontainers. And I thought I was good with money. :shepspends:

So, uh... considering the Anshan is literally my first DD, how do I not suck tremendous balls? And which of the available torps should I choose?

What about the Atlanta? I've heard it's a good HE spammer but I want to get as much info as possible (particularly since this thread has been nothing but a goldmine of advice).

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Kongo is meh, Fuso is good, Nagato can't do what a battleship needs to do in the current game design, and I challenge anyone to keep a straight face while trying to argue the merits of the Amagi over Bismarck and North Carolina.

the wrong in this opinion is so high we may need a new classification system for it
no wait we already have it, NTRabbit levels of wrong

ZombieLenin posted:

I submitted [SEAMN] as a clan, WG hosed up their spreadsheet with all the clans in it, I was given a pubbie clan (TSF, actually, which IIRC are a competitive clan), and some pubbie got SEAMN instead of me. When I asked WG to give me back SEAMN, they told me SEAMN wasn't in CBT because Wargaming sometimes has difficulty with these sorts of things (like reading comprehension... or being competent), so we're stuck until clans go into open beta or live. The leader of SEAMN right now has indicated that he didnt want the name SEAMN, but is using it until everything gets fixed in the future. That should mean SEAMN is still available, as clans will be reset going into live and all the names will be up for grabs again.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I have a lot of opinions on BBs but boy howdy I am so bad at DDs. They seems so fun though so I should probably pick a line and stick with it and learn the hard way.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Just finished the Graf Spee stuff, and it's a fun ship! It's a Kirov but MORE - more durability, more punchy guns, more torpedoes, and more useful consumables.

Including Repair Party. So when are the rest of the tech tree cruisers going to get Repair Party?

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Hazdoc posted:

That should mean SEAMN is still available, as clans will be reset going into live and all the names will be up for grabs again.

does this mean that pubbies can take stuff like OMNI and TTT if theyre fast enough :v: i'd imagine they're protected by WG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Just finished the Graf Spee stuff, and it's a fun ship! It's a Kirov but MORE - more durability, more punchy guns, more torpedoes, and more useful consumables.

Including Repair Party. So when are the rest of the tech tree cruisers going to get Repair Party?

All T9/10 cruisers get Repair Party. Other than that, the only non-premium cruisers with it are the Royal Navy cruiser line, which get it starting at like T4. In terms of premiums, Atago gets it at T8, and the Graf Spee obviously gets it at T6.