Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

While it is lame that the structure of the themes have been very basic, the first themes kind of need to be. And having ambush be mostly tied to themes instead of on unit cards I think could be a great idea. It's a neat rule but strong enough that we end up with poo poo like kossites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Put Ambush on Archers and they might see play:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Rhulic theme tier 4: one unit of hammerfall high shields gains ambush. :ohdear:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Storm knight theme won't allow Journeyman, every Cygnar player is owned.

Then they continue to own me by ignoring the theme force to still go with double Arcane Shield double Stormlance lists.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

rydiafan posted:

On one hand you're right. On the other ambush is cool and good and changes the tactical play if Gabe's in a major way, so I'm super happy to see more of it.

Yea I'm not complaining, just uninspired is all.

Also the legion themes will be the false-nerf to hellmouth, just as they are for idrians. Calling it.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

waah posted:

Cygnar is getting a theme force called "Storm Division". It will focus on Storm Knights and has a strong electric vibe.

Give me power armor storm blades. 40K has been stealing from us, time to steal back! Make Cygnar great again!

Seriously though PP, if you're reading this, we want power armor storm blades. On medium bases.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

rkajdi posted:

His threat is also 100% pre-measurable, so it's no longer "Oops, you misjudged by a quarter inch, now Karn will dance on your face". I personally love that there is much less gotcha in that way going on now, since it is so tilting to newer players. WMH has a hard time keeping people engaged in the game after the initial buy-in, and anything to help with that issue makes for a better community.

Yah one of the worst experiences I had in Mk2, on a fairly regular basis, was dealing with "oh hey I was off by an inch on how far away I thought that Angelius was, glad it charged over all my screening infantry to pummel my caster's face in. This game is fun and I enjoy losing out of the blue because I have a hard time eyeballing distances." That or losing heavies to Angeliuses in low point games and then being pretty much permanently hosed in the general scheme of piece trading.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fyrbrand posted:

Storm knight theme won't allow Journeyman, every Cygnar player is owned.

Then they continue to own me by ignoring the theme force to still go with double Arcane Shield double Stormlance lists.

If the theme doesn't allow Trenchers or Juniors, you are right about it maybe not being as good. I sort of figured that Junior would still be in the list, though I have a hard way to articulate why.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Desert Hydra is finally released.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Magres posted:

Yah one of the worst experiences I had in Mk2, on a fairly regular basis, was dealing with "oh hey I was off by an inch on how far away I thought that Angelius was, glad it charged over all my screening infantry to pummel my caster's face in. This game is fun and I enjoy losing out of the blue because I have a hard time eyeballing distances." That or losing heavies to Angeliuses in low point games and then being pretty much permanently hosed in the general scheme of piece trading.

The screening infantry still got free strikes in that scenario, at least in MKII. So the Angelius was often sort of hosed, since they aren't all that durable. I do remember hearing the bad old days of MKI had flying ignoring free strikes was rather awful.

Otherwise, yeah, the whole gotcha over a faction of an inch was annoying, and I'm super glad to see it is gone. I get that some vets loved it, but all it ever did was artificially raise the skill cap while not adding a lot of real depth to the game.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Desert Hydra is finally released.

Unfortunately, it totally fits right into the trend where the coolness of a colossal's sculpt is inversely proportional to it's game worthiness. See also: Storm Raptor.

I'm hoping the Hydra gets better with the errata, but I doubt they are going to re-balance a figure that just came out.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

Unfortunately, it totally fits right into the trend where the coolness of a colossal's sculpt is inversely proportional to it's game worthiness. See also: Storm Raptor.

I'm hoping the Hydra gets better with the errata, but I doubt they are going to re-balance a figure that just came out.

I thought they had just decided to squat Skorne instead of release an errata? Rebalancing an entire faction takes a lot of time and effort that could otherwise go towards making more theme forces.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

rkajdi posted:

I'm really liking the battle reports I'm reading of it with Kromac 2. Giving it Vengeful or Awakened Spirit means it can increase its survivability or damage output easily. Carnage pumps it up to a respectable Mat 7 and the threat of a flying 12-14 inch assassination can't be over estimated.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Skorne theme force gives the Desert Hydra ambush.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I thought they had just decided to squat Skorne instead of release an errata? Rebalancing an entire faction takes a lot of time and effort that could otherwise go towards making more theme forces.

No, this is 100% false (where the hell did you hear that?). Their errata just got delayed a few weeks (supposed to be mid to end of Jan) due to the number of changes in it.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Skorne theme force gives the Desert Hydra ambush.

As long as eXerxis has his global control area feat, then sure gently caress it why not.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CaptCommy posted:

No, this is 100% false (where the hell did you hear that?). Their errata just got delayed a few weeks (supposed to be mid to end of Jan) due to the number of changes in it.

Come on dude.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I feel like every huge base should have ambush, since they couldn't use it anyway.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm really liking the battle reports I'm reading of it with Kromac 2. Giving it Vengeful or Awakened Spirit means it can increase its survivability or damage output easily. Carnage pumps it up to a respectable Mat 7 and the threat of a flying 12-14 inch assassination can't be over estimated.

Oh Vengeful is incredibly smart what with disruption punchers.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

CaptCommy posted:

While other factions get theme forces, Skorne players are forced to endure a literal slap in the face from the developers.

PP delend est

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I heard hungerford is replacing all skorne kits with rat poison, can someone confirm?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
PP has repeatedly stated they are phasing out Skorne.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

Dis here a little something for the old 40k thread vets, holla

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cyclops savages are gonna get rush.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The salt in the Skorne forum is pretty delicious. God forbid we get a viable option for play that isn't "murder you in the face with my elephants."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fyrbrand posted:

Dis here a little something for the old 40k thread vets, holla

You are the BEST

e: Also the desert Hydra is good

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

S.J. posted:

Eyeless Sight.

I'm not seeing that on the spoiler posted in this thread.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Well I turned in all my circle stuff to the store for their auction that's going to happen in a month. Fingers cross I get a decent return on it. I didn't want to play phone tag on barter town so I don't think I'll regret any result.

Time to dojo more minions lists i guess

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Friendly Fire posted:

I'm not seeing that on the spoiler posted in this thread.

Rhoven gives eyeless sight to a Colossal, or Redeemer, or battle engine, or whatever. Then that thing sits within range of the new jack and blows your trenchers off the table. Not that they can't already do this, of course. Plus being able to ignore the DEF bonus provided by Haley 3.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Ah, forgot about Rhoven.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So in not fake posts, I played my second Z2 game tonight vs Haley2. I lost on scenario, but it was incredibly satisfying to frustrate a Haley2 player.

I think Zaadesh 2 might be my second favorite Skorne warlock

S.J.
May 19, 2008

He's loving fantastic and the first time I played against him I just stared at the table with a furrowed brow while almost clocking myself every turn.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

He's loving fantastic and the first time I played against him I just stared at the table with a furrowed brow while almost clocking myself every turn.

This is me every game v every opponent

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

As a brettonia player I...

Fake edit:
I'm sad that Kreoss3 can't use the tiers for vengers, but he owns so hard that it's fine.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

Cyclops savages are gonna get rush.

Please tell me this is true and not some gag. This would make Savages a legit part of a playstyle, and even give a reason to have multiples of them.

head58 posted:

The salt in the Skorne forum is pretty delicious. God forbid we get a viable option for play that isn't "murder you in the face with my elephants."

Over the Venator theme? Man you can't please some people. It's not what I expected to have as a theme, but I think it could work as something different and cool, which is the point of themes. Do people just think they should be able to put their standard lists into a theme and get free solos just because?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think venator theme sounds interesting/different to me. It would be also cool if the venator dakar had artillerist, as skornapaults are cool but deviation RNG kills it for lobbing shots at infantry. Funny combo if you can knockdown enemy warb/jacks and hit em with the power 18, though!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

head58 posted:

The Skorne community is kinda like the WMH version of Iron Warriors players; I think the lack of hazard stripes is what pushes Skorne people over the edge from 'funny salty' to 'funny but actually sad salty'.

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The Skorne community is kinda like the WMH version of Iron Warriors players; I think the lack of hazard stripes is what pushes Skorne people over the edge from 'funny salty' to 'funny but actually sad salty'.

What does that even mean for non-40k peeps.

Anyways, went looking for salt on the pp forums but couldn't find it :( As an actual non disgruntled skorne player I stay the hell away from the forums usually.

A venator theme does seem cool to me. Unfortunately I don't own anything outside of reivers, which I think is the only legit complaint about that theme. Overall I like themes that encourage alternate playstyles and under used units so I'm all about it though.

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.
Thread has been pretty mopey of late, but here's a tournament report! This past Sunday my PG ran an event. We knew it wouldn't be steamroller, but we weren't told the rules. We were told to bring 1 list, 35pts. I just picked up a Circle lot, and my first gargantuan, so I brought:

Baldur 2, the Stonesoul +30
Woldwrath -37
Ghetorix -21
Blackclad Wayfarer -4
Shifting Stones -3

I spent the last week getting the models painted.

Fastest I've painted so many models. I have a series of progress pictures on the Woldwrath here: http://imgur.com/a/fquwj

When we got to the tourney were were handed a scenario sheet. Hamburger Hill. It's 4 players taking turns in order. There is a central hill / zone to stand on to get control points no contesting, scored at the end of each turn. You also get 1 point for performing power attacks on enemy battlegroup models. The points for the hill is the points of the battlegroup model divided by 10 rounded down. Now, most Warjacks / Warbeasts are between 10 and 20 points. So they're only worth 1 point on the hill. I happened to bring a 21 point model and a Gargantuan. Very durable too. I inadvertently broke the format by scoring 5 on each turn.

The other mechanics were: Eliminated when all battlegroup models are killed. You may drop out of the game at the start of your turn. When someone is eliminated another player steps in to fill in the turn order. Deployment was radial starting at 17" for the first to 21" for the 4th player. Any new players started at 23" and couldn't score points for the first 2 turns. We played for 6 hours and totaled the control points earned. I ended with 83, 2nd place had 74 and 3rd had 63. It was really cool.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

This is cool and good and you're good for sharing it. Does your PG have a document he can share with the rules for the format? I may want to steal this for my LGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

koreban posted:

This is cool and good and you're good for sharing it. Does your PG have a document he can share with the rules for the format? I may want to steal this for my LGS.

Here's a website I found that has the rules. I think my PG just used these without the power nodes:

http://heyevent.com/event/oa7suyq52x2v6a/warmachinehordes-hardcore-casual-hamburger-hill

On the back of the sheet my PG added a table with rows where you could tally up your points per category. If I can get the sheets he used next Sunday I'll post them.

Oh, also we had a secret first place prize: https://www.amazon.com/Hamburger-Hill-Anniversary-Michael-Dolan/dp/B0015D20FE
It's the movie of the same name. Heh.