Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My freshman history teacher showed us Anastasia.

The cartoon.

He was retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eh! Frank posted:

My high school World History teacher showed us Schindler's List without any kind of parental permission or whatever, but it was a class full of freshmen and sophomores who didn't give a poo poo so he never got in trouble. He would also go through every question before every test, reviewing the answers, so it was just about impossible to fail a test. Did I mention this was a pre-AP class?

Almost same. I think we did have to have a slip or something, I don't remember. But it was the first time I saw the film and I thought it was incredible. Everyone got mad at the black and white which made me laugh.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chieves posted:

My jazz band teacher didn't care at all by the end of the year so we spent the final few weeks of the year watching Braveheart, Event Horizon, Run Lola Run, and Office Space.
I was in "Music Appreciation" in 7th grade because I didn't play an instrument. We mostly watched musicals. I enjoyed it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Schindler's List was released when I was still in high school, so we never saw it in class, but our world history teacher gave us bonus credit if we brought in a ticket stub from going to see it.

e: we got the same deal for Malcolm X

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Haha I forgot about Stand and Deliver. I got that in Spanish class plus West Side Story.

In spanish we got to watch Antonio Banderas movies. Usually just Mask of Zorro instead of actual spanish ones, but that was fine by me, that movie rules.

The scene where a mexican lady needs a translator is still goofy.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I love that all the same films come up in school viewings. I know we saw The Name Of The Rose, Schindler's List and Romeo + Juliet.

The biggest exception was when our teacher in elementary school decided that we should watch The Seventh Seal, which is pretty awesome in retrospect, but I dont think it went over well at the time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My high school Spanish teacher would have me bring in my VHS copies of Mariachi and El Norte to show during class.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I had to watch this short movie in class for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Summer_in_a_Day

It still haunts me to this day, much as The Red Balloon does.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kiimo posted:

I had to watch this short movie in class for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Summer_in_a_Day

It still haunts me to this day, much as The Red Balloon does.

That reason is probably Ray Bradbury.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We watched The Odyssey miniseries in 6th grade. I've had a crush on Bernadette Peters ever since.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In middle school we watched Life of Brian in religion class, and The Twelve Tasks of Asterix in history class (it's a very strange and trippy movie).

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 10, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In third or fourth grade our music teacher tried to show us West Side Story but someone complained do we only got to see the first like 20 minutes.

My junior year of high school someone's parent flipped poo poo over the book Snow Falling on Cedars so we didn't get to finish that book

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

got any sevens posted:

In spanish we got to watch Antonio Banderas movies. Usually just Mask of Zorro instead of actual spanish ones, but that was fine by me, that movie rules.

Another one of my Spanish teachers liked using pop songs to help us learn but he wouldn't let me bring my chingón album to class ;_;

(I told him it was called "the Robert Rodriguez and Friends Band")

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Parents are bunch of morons. If your kid can't handle The Name of the Rose your kid is poo poo and you failed as a parent. However I do understand parents being upset ABCs of Death but only because it is a bad film.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 10, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I got to watch Excalibur in English class during our section on Arthurian stuff, but the teacher was a square and skipped over the sex bits

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Should I go to a screening of this Friday night? It feels like Room crossed with 10 Cloverfield Lane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TouqfIsiI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My teacher stood next to the TV and put a folder in front of it when the boobs came on for Romeo and Juliet. His timing wasn't great and I got to see some nip.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Did you go to school in Saudi Arabia?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Last Emperor was the first threeway I ever watched, even though it took place under covers and involved children.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When we watched the 60s Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade English, when Juliet rolls out of bed and you see her boobs for a fleeting moment, one of my friends exclaimed, "Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!"

He's now a pastor.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Of the movies watched in high school classes, I think the one that stands out most for me was the assignment to write a response paper to the opening of Top Gun. "Danger Zone" as an anthem for the proletariat.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

got any sevens posted:

We watched the Antonio Banderas Zorro in my high school Spanish class.

Also Cool Runnings because in the teacher's eyes, if we had the determination to learn Spanish like they did to bobsled, we'd learn Spanish through shear force of will. Same reason why we watched Iron Will.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Blackface is back in black(face?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7214gXqB0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We saw Usual Suspects in English class and had to notice all the hints.

We also saw a bunch of movies when our history tescher got sick: the Dreyfus Affair movie with Richard Dreyfus, loving Pearl Harbor, Schindler's List, a bunch of documentaries.

In french class we got to see Lumumba and Apocalypse Now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it really blackface if it is Michael Jackson in his pale and gaunt period?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I had a film class senior year of high school - good times

We also got shown Romeo + Juliet in sophomore English and Jurassic Park in Biology. A lot of kids (mostly chicks) shockingly hadn't seen it - so the goat leg freak out was pretty priceless.

Actually, poo poo, we also saw Fall of the House of Usher (Corman) in junior English.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Adding high school viewing, we watched Survivor (the reality TV show) in English while reading Lord of the Flies.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

We watched Romeo and Juliet in like a big school assembly and they tried to, like, zoom in on her face or something during the naked stuff so that we wouldn't have to stop the movie or cover it up but someone hosed up and we got a big screenful of nipple

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Off topic for the thread but on topic for the thread, was there any actual word on how the Fantastic Beasts sequels are going to actually play out? Because I finally saw the first one and...I honestly don't care if we ever see most of those characters again. The leads were incredibly uninteresting and the series would be greatly improved by just ignoring them and making it an anthology of magic in the 20s-40s.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Our history teacher showed us Hamburger Hill and Platoon, all while graphically explaining what they got wrong and what they got right. He also ranted for an entire class about Rambo 2. I think everyone in the administration were too afraid of him to say anything.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ugh I heard about this a year back and wanted it to be Good. Looks like trash

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

Off topic for the thread but on topic for the thread, was there any actual word on how the Fantastic Beasts sequels are going to actually play out? Because I finally saw the first one and...I honestly don't care if we ever see most of those characters again. The leads were incredibly uninteresting and the series would be greatly improved by just ignoring them and making it an anthology of magic in the 20s-40s.

The only things I believe we know for sure is that Dumbledore is in the next one and the last movie takes place in 1945.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Two of the most beautiful people in the history of Hollywood played by Stockard Channing and Brian Cox.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Our history teacher showed us Hamburger Hill and Platoon, all while graphically explaining what they got wrong and what they got right. He also ranted for an entire class about Rambo 2. I think everyone in the administration were too afraid of him to say anything.

One of my teachers was at the real hamburger hill battle. I didnt talk to him much though :/

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I had a vietnam vet history teacher in Sophmore history. He was pretty chill though. Once in a paper I wrote something like "Jack Kennedy believed that..." and he circled it in red and wrote "you didn't know him that well!"

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My fourth grade teacher decided to close out the year by showing us Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings. The really trippy aspects of that movie are what stuck with me like the photo negative Orcs and the psychedelic wizard duel (well that and Viking Boromir which affected the way I perceived the story when I actually read it for the first time).

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I got to watch Excalibur in English class during our section on Arthurian stuff, but the teacher was a square and skipped over the sex bits

We got the 60s Romeo and Juliet and Excalibur, complete with Uther Pendragon's rape scene at the start.

Renoistic posted:

In middle school we watched Life of Brian in religion class, and The Twelve Tasks of Asterix in history class (it's a very strange and trippy movie).

The best bit is when Asterix loses his poo poo at the ghost legion and they sort of just apologise and wander off

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 11, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The most "reaching" I ever saw for a movie day was in Earth Science. Teacher explained what a diamond in the rough was, then put on the first 50 minutes of Aladdin. She was still a great teacher.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Casimir Radon posted:

Why in the gently caress did everyone get to watch The Name of the Rose in high school.

Sean Connery's one handsome motherfucker.

Edit: Speaking of Connery, we got to watch You Only Live Twice in high school chemistry once, but only because I had it on me. Something went wrong with the teacher's lesson plan or the supplies were missing, and he was wondering what we could do. I was just like, "uhh, I have a James Bond movie in my bag" so he wheeled in the TV and we watched it.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My freshman or sophomore English teacher had us watch Grumpy Old Men.

Took two classes to get through but the payoff of the end credits with Burgess Meredith just killing with outtakes. :allears:

No idea why she chose that.

• Locked thread