Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
On Jan. 20th 2021 the ACA repeal will take effect when another democrat takes office bing bing bong so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I swear this time they will do single payer.

Incremental changes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What do these hearings even accomplish? I'm not against them but if they are just fluff what is the point?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TBeats posted:

What do these hearings even accomplish? I'm not against them but if they are just fluff what is the point?

It's a constitutional requirement to have the positions be approved with the advice and consent of the Senate.

Then add that Senators REALLY like being on TV and REALLY like feeling Important and you get confirmation hearings. Every now and then you get a nominee to gently caress up (like a supreme court nominee) as a side effect.

That's probably why the filibuster will stick around for most stuff because it gives every individual Senator TV time and Importance if they want to use it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

To add a modicum of transparency to an otherwise highly political process. It also allows people to serve as witnesses in favor of or against the nominee. In less partisan times, this was supposed to allow the Senate to objectively assess whether or not the nominee was qualified and loyal to the Constitution.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES C'MON!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Finally some good news

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Would be ok with crucifixion.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

First pardon by President trump coming right up

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hearing are great for keeping your name in the news and racking up idealogical purity points/sound bites

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Two Finger posted:

First pardon by President trump coming right up

Ok stop

That would make some of his voters happy because yeesh welcome to 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ok stop

That would make some of his voters happy because yeesh welcome to 2017

It wouldn't surprise me at all tho

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Earlier, Roof addressed the jury, saying "I don't know what good it would do anyway" if they spared his life.

quote:

After the sentence was announced, the 22-year-old killer stood and requested to be appointed new lawyers and to file for a retrial.

Soooo was his goal all along to waste as much time and money as he could, or did the reality just suddenly kick in right there?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It's going to be a race between Smallpox, SS-18, and meteor of death to see who kills me first. I'm hype as gently caress.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So the schmorky thread is getting a bit weird, lowtax is making a visit, and you might be able to say tranny and retard now without getting probated or banned as long as it wasn't used in a negative way.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Already got my smallpox vaccine and all I got from it was a weird scar on my shoulder and an unhealthy obsession with trains

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Historic first anti-vaxxer president.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Is smallpox the one where they poke you like 50 times really fast?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

TBeats posted:

Is smallpox the one where they poke you like 50 times really fast?

No, that's how sex works

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: KOMPROMAT ALERT :siren:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/818946886728028161

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/818948558615412736

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html

'Russian operatives' claiming to have damning personal and private information on Trump (how could it be worse than what we know already?) and the article also mentions Trump surrogates going back and forth with Russian intermediaries during the election.

I read about a lot of this stuff during the election from reporters, but here's the first confirmation that the IC finds the poo poo credible and is investigating. I keep finding unsubstantiated rumors about a sex tape being used as blackmail :barf:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Third World Reggin posted:

So the schmorky thread is getting a bit weird, lowtax is making a visit, and you might be able to say tranny and retard now without getting probated or banned as long as it wasn't used in a negative way.

I only read a few pages and it was already devolving into the usual GBS. Where does the new weirdness start?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Could I bother you for a quick line as to what the gently caress is going on in there. Clearly we're past talking about what a loon Schmorky was/is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Yeah no. I will continue probating for slurs.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slim Pickens posted:

Soooo was his goal all along to waste as much time and money as he could, or did the reality just suddenly kick in right there?

Neither. I expect his attorneys' strategy to save his life offended his sense of pride as a strong, powerful self-sufficient self-made white Christian man and his solution (a slow plea for death) was the only way to maintain that façade.
The new attorney request wasn't reality kicking in, but another hail Mary shot at getting different lawyers who might support his (losing) strategy based upon his pride as a strong, powerful self-sufficient self-made white Christian man.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Never thought I'd live to see the day when vaccines became a partisan issue but welp, here we are.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Trump has bragged about "getting" to watch under age beauty contestants dress and bragged about having affairs, and bragged about sexual assault to people holding microphones so I cannot imagine what he is afraid of that the Russians might have.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Yah he starts here

Lowtax posted:

Well I personally do not think either "retard" or "tranny" should be bannable words, and do not think anybody should be banned simply for using them.

Lowtax posted:

Sorry, "not punishable". Hate speech is still punishable. like "loving retarded trannies should be shot to death" is something that would get you banned. "Some retard at Gamestop was sperging over Sailor Moon backpacks" is perfectly fine, or "A couple trannies passed by and said I looked like a real ugly-rear end sad sack" is also fine.

Then he unprobated two people for some reasons, and fixed a probation he approved of for using those words.

Lowtax posted:

I have un-probated you and upgraded your account to platinum no-ads. PEOPLE CAN loving DISCUSS poo poo ON THESE FORUMS OR HAVE DIFFERENT loving REASONABLE OPINIONS WITHOUT PUNISHING THEM.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Best Friends posted:

Trump has bragged about "getting" to watch under age beauty contestants dress and bragged about having affairs, and bragged about sexual assault to people holding microphones so I cannot imagine what he is afraid of that the Russians might have.

Evidence of a rape and/or murder.

What are the odds Trumpy has gone an entire lifetime without hitting someone with his car while drunk or a "she didn't actually say no, so it's okay" moment

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html

'Russian operatives' claiming to have damning personal and private information on Trump (how could it be worse than what we know already?) and the article also mentions Trump surrogates going back and forth with Russian intermediaries during the election.

I read about a lot of this stuff during the election from reporters, but here's the first confirmation that the IC finds the poo poo credible and is investigating. I keep finding unsubstantiated rumors about a sex tape being used as blackmail :barf:

I took it with a grain of salt because of the source back in October (I think it was vice?), but the article states they have the memos and have confirmed it. Haha drat.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I always imagined this whole thing was a cool movie plot where his wife was a high ranking deep cover russian operative and in complete control of him in the background via a bunch of monetary and possibly sexual blackmail and extortion ammo.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

facialimpediment posted:

Jesus Christ

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
So is Trump gonna go on an anti Russia tweet storm?

Can't fuckin wait.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Trump: “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing”
Russia: "Oh we found something"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TBeats posted:

So is Trump gonna go on an anti Russia tweet storm?

Can't fuckin wait.

He can't. The poo poo that will hit the public will get him impeached.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lol so basically Russia has trump on a short leash.

Awesome.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dude's into banging kids. That seems the most logical outcome considering how he manhandled and spoken about Ivanka.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sergg posted:

Never thought I'd live to see the day when vaccines became a partisan issue but welp, here we are.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/politics/donald-trump-transition.html

quote:

Anti-vaxxer to head Trump vaccine panel?

Mr. Trump on Tuesday asked a prominent anti-vaccine crusader to lead a new government commission on vaccine safety and scientific integrity, ushering debunked conspiracy theories about the dangers of immunization into the White House.

Mr. Trump, who has embraced discredited links between vaccines and autism, has asked Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a nephew of President John F. Kennedy, to be chairman of the commission, Mr. Kennedy said after meeting with the president-elect at Trump Tower.

Continue reading the main story
Mr. Kennedy’s appointment spread alarm through the medical community, which for years has rejected claims that childhood vaccines are linked to conditions like autism. Medical experts warned Tuesday that Mr. Trump’s actions would endanger children by confusing parents about the need to have them vaccinated.

“It gives it a quasi-legitimacy that I frankly find frightening,” said William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. He said Mr. Trump and Mr. Kennedy were being fooled by “long-discredited” theories about vaccines.

“This is going to be a sad struggle as we try to protect as many children as possible,” Mr. Schaffner said.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Yah he starts here

Then he unprobated two people for some reasons, and fixed a probation he approved of for using those words.

Yes I'm aware of this and it was discussed at length in the mod forum. I'm letting you know that if you use a slur in this subforum you will probably be probated for it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I really don't see Trump as worried about a sex tape. Maaaaybe if it was something 'icky' to his base like gay sex. Anything else he would be able to spin to his base as Bigly Strong Manly Sex Haver Macho Alpha. I'm of the opinion that Trump's businesses were miserable failures over and over and he was basically broke until Russian oligarchs bought his rear end start to finish and that's what he is afraid of releasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I'm still loving the cognitive dissonance required of Trump supporters to both extremely distrust and loathe corporate shills and CEO's, and yet vote one into office.

• Locked thread