Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I guess Ill be the gross cynical one and assume Freeland was given the position only half based on merit and the other half being that she is an attractive woman that is going to be dealing with a misogynistic womanizing playboy millionaire celebrity president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

I guess Ill be the gross cynical one and assume Freeland was given the position only half based on merit and the other half being that she is an attractive woman that is going to be dealing with a misogynistic womanizing playboy millionaire celebrity president.

How attractive would you say that you find Chrystia Freeland?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Are we really going there?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Trump specifically stated he wouldn't grope unattractive women. Perhaps a play on feminism?

e: Should we be electing the best looking people to represent our country in the hopes their charming looks gets them benefits we all can reap?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Trump specifically stated he wouldn't grope unattractive women. Perhaps a play on feminism?

e: Should we be electing the best looking people to represent our country in the hopes their charming looks gets them benefits we all can reap?

I know this is made in jest but given the Liberals track record so far would you really put it past them?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I'm struggling to come up with a name in the Liberal caucus who is obviously more qualified for the job than Freeland. If a woman who just successfully spent a year doing intense and touchy rounds of international negotiations and who has a long career in journalism abroad can't get a foreign affairs job without dealing with gross insinuations, who can?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm struggling to come up with a name in the Liberal caucus who is obviously more qualified for the job than Freeland. If a woman who just successfully spent a year doing intense and touchy rounds of international negotiations and who has a long career in journalism abroad can't get a foreign affairs job without dealing with gross insinuations, who can?

Again, I said half based on merit. Im not going to argue against how well she handled the EU negotiations, but Im also a naturally cynical person that cant help but think that there is always going to be something like that going on behind the scenes. Canada doesnt exactly have the greatest track record on womens rights, even with Trudeau's dedication to having more women present in cabinet.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Furnaceface posted:

Again, I said half based on merit. Im not going to argue against how well she handled the EU negotiations, but Im also a naturally cynical person that cant help but think that there is always going to be something like that going on behind the scenes. Canada doesnt exactly have the greatest track record on womens rights, even with Trudeau's dedication to having more women present in cabinet.

C'mon dude.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Yes. Looking at someone who is obviously qualified for a job and asking "but did she actually get the job because she's pretty?" is sexist as gently caress.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure Chrystia Freeland is a midget.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yes. Looking at someone who is obviously qualified for a job and asking "but did she actually get the job because she's pretty?" is sexist as gently caress.

I didnt realize I came off that way and now I feel kind of gross looking over it.

Sorry for ruining your day CanPol.

e: I really should have looked over who the Libs actually had available for the position first too. Really not a good start to the day on my behalf. :negative:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 10, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

McGavin posted:

I'm pretty sure Chrystia Freeland is a midget.

Trudeau is 6'2" but the angles are funky there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MA-Horus posted:

hahahahahahahaha the French buying guns from anyone lol

Thales, Dassault Defence, Airbus, MBDA...The French are the #4 arms dealer in the world. They sell way more to the Saudis than we do.

I thought Canada was #2 in Saudi-supplying, after the US. I learned that in this thread!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

Not when the prime minister mentioned he wanted gender parity. He hired based on physical (or personally identified) gender, so the question of doubt shall remain. He did not say he was hiring his cabinet based on merit and surprise us with half women.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Merit isn't a number line.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
A cabinet with gender parity, half based on merit :confused:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

vyelkin posted:

Chrystia Freeland is weird. Here's her giving a TED talk, presumably based on her book Plutocrats, where she, I would say quite reasonably, goes through a laundry list of the good and bad things about globalization and the inequality it creates, and closes by saying the only way to avoid a dystopian future of everyone just being servants of wealthy billionaire tech moguls is to have "a new New Deal" and a reconstruction of the welfare state and trade unions to go along with the ongoing reconstruction of our economic system. If you watch this talk and think what Canadian political party she seems closest to, you would probably say the NDP.

One month after giving that talk she left her job as a journalist to run for the Liberal Party, presumably knowing full well their history of pro-plutocrat policies, particularly in the 1990s, and after 2015 she became the Trade Minister and aggressively pursued the kind of globalizing policies and trade deals she used to criticize as producing plutocrats and hollowing out *~the middle class~*.

As I think Helsing said, I really could see her being the leader of the LPC whenever Trudeau calls it quits. She's the perfect Liberal combination of seemingly-genuine concern over real problems, the ability to say all the right words to make left-wing people think she's on their side, and then once in power actually enacting policies that are the opposite of everything she claimed to be concerned about before.

Freeland knows a thing or two about the trials and travails of unionized workers in a global economy.

quote:

Liberal hopeful Chrystia Freeland oversaw loss of media jobs

Campaigning on platform of restoring middle class, Freeland oversaw decision to move jobs to India
The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 13, 2013 5:06 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 13, 2013 5:06 PM ET

A high-profile federal Liberal candidate campaigning in Toronto on a platform of restoring the middle class oversaw the decision to move two dozen full-time media jobs from that city to India.

Chrystia Freeland was the head of Reuters Digital in New York when Thompson Reuters moved its Toronto digital newsroom to New York and shipped the bulk of its work to the Bangalore operation.

The December 2011 move put about 25 Toronto staff under Freeland's supervision out of work, including 17 permanent and five temporary unionized employees.

Thomson Reuters won't say how many employees remain — only that the company has "a fully staffed and functioning newsroom in Toronto."

Freeland claims 'shrinkage' started 'before I got there'

"Ever since I've been an editor at different news organizations, legacy newsrooms have been shrinking, and that was something that happened as well when I was at Reuters," Freeland said in an interview.

"That shrinkage started before I got there and has continued (since she left). We know that is something that's happening to the news business."

Now Freeland is a star Liberal candidate campaigning for a seat in the House of Commons in Toronto Centre, one of four federal byelections to be decided by voters on Nov. 25.

And a big part of her campaign pitch is the restoration of Canada's economic middle class. She's facing off for Bob Rae's vacated seat against another powerhouse journalist who champions the middle class, NDP candidate Linda McQuaig.

"Liberals know that if we don't address this growing anxiety today, Canadians will stop supporting a growth agenda — a threat to a core Canadian ideal that prosperity is a realistic goal for all Canadians," states Freeland's campaign web site, under the heading "The Liberal Middle Class Priority."

"The time for investing in a thriving middle class is now — make your voice heard in Ottawa."

Some former employees 'seething'

The seeming disconnect between Freeland's recent corporate role and her campaign message has a number of her former employees seething.

Multiple sources from the defunct Toronto digital operation spoke to The Canadian Press, but few wanted to comment on the record for fear that criticizing the well-connected Freeland could hurt their employment prospects in a shrinking media industry.

A common refrain from former Reuters employees is a sense that Freeland didn't go to bat for them when their jobs were on the line.

Aviva West spent three years as a full-time, contract editor who worked every weekend at the Toronto operation.

"We had zero contact with (Freeland)," said West. "She was in charge of consumer news, and that's what we were doing in Toronto, programming 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, Reuters.com. We never, ever saw her."

"We wanted to show her what we did because we worked really hard on this site, we loved our jobs and we wanted to show her the value that we added to the company," said West.

"But we never got that chance."

Said another former editor, who requested anonymity to protect her future employment prospects, "Campaigning for the middle class is just so hypocritical."

Freeland compares journalists to 'Detroit autoworkers'

Whether Freeland should wear the scars of an industry-wide downturn will be a matter of debate.

"I can confirm that the decision was not Chrystia Freeland's," Barb Burg, Reuters global head of communications, said in an email.

"It was a corporate one that resulted from extensive financial review and changing customer needs."

A senior source with knowledge of the decision-making process put it this way:

"It was a corporate decision that she executed."

Freeland published a book last year, "Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else."

When asked if the Reuters experience influenced her writing, she said it did.

"I have sometimes compared journalists to Detroit autoworkers," Freeland responded.

"In the same way that Windsor autoworkers were in the centre of the downsizing of manufacturing, I think we as journalists have been in the centre of this creative destruction, the technology revolution....

"Definitely, seeing that has made me particularly sensitive to the ways the technology revolution has been changing work and the jobs that are available."

Outsourcing now 'common practice' for news organizations

Outsourcing parts of news organizations has become common practice across North America in the past decade as media profit margins have been erased by the collapse of advertising revenue.

The Canadian Press, for instance, has a wholly owned subsidiary, Pagemasters North America, which provides outsourced editorial production services by unionized staff in Canada and the United States.

Postmedia Editorial Services also outsources "whole-process pagination solutions to daily newspapers across America" from its central hub in Hamilton.

"Anyone who's been a news manager, every editor in the period that I was, has been an editor when the organization they were working for was downsizing the newsroom," said Freeland.

Now I know there's a brigade of "we're not allowed to criticize people for their jobs" contingent here in CanPol because apparently as long as you can legally draw a salary doing something it's off-bounds to criticize you but Freeland was libbing before she was even a Liberal.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
It is the year 2024. President Donald Trump rules what remains of the United States of America from the Gold Throne in the Gold House.

Canada has appointed their most nubile female ministers to the upcoming trade delegation.

In the hopes of currying favour to secure some concession, anything at all, they carry with them crates of furs and jewels, the finest spirits, and of course, more gold to bestow upon him.

As the delegation readies to leave, Prime Minister Kellie Leitch gathers them for a final pep talk.

She stresses again the critical importance of this meeting. With tears forming in her eyes, she begs them, "If things get weird, please, please, just close your eyes and think of Canada. I'm so sorry."

The winters are growing colder.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Meanwhile the Canadian Taxpayers Federation demonstrates its worth:
https://www.facebook.com/TaxpayerDOTcom/posts/10154951990003910

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Isn't Thompson opening a big new digital facility in Toronto, with 1000+ jobs to fill?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Butcher posted:

It is the year 2024. President Donald Trump rules what remains of the United States of America from the Gold Throne in the Gold House.

Canada has appointed their most nubile female ministers to the upcoming trade delegation.

In the hopes of currying favour to secure some concession, anything at all, they carry with them crates of furs and jewels, the finest spirits, and of course, more gold to bestow upon him.

As the delegation readies to leave, Prime Minister Kellie Leitch gathers them for a final pep talk.

She stresses again the critical importance of this meeting. With tears forming in her eyes, she begs them, "If things get weird, please, please, just close your eyes and think of Canada. I'm so sorry."

The winters are growing colder.

Look at this guy thinking Canada wont implode and end up being forced to become a part of the USA by 2020.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OSI bean dip posted:

Meanwhile the Canadian Taxpayers Federation demonstrates its worth:
https://www.facebook.com/TaxpayerDOTcom/posts/10154951990003910

gently caress lazy assholes who don't clear their car of snow. It's like a 3-minute task at most.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

gently caress lazy assholes who don't clear their car of snow. It's like a 3-minute task at most.

A van dropped a roof-load of snow right in front of me on the Gardiner. If I'd been following more closely it would have been pretty dangerous.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

gently caress you if you don't clear your roof, if that poo poo freezes it breaks windscreens.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Subjunctive posted:

A van dropped a roof-load of snow right in front of me on the Gardiner. If I'd been following more closely it would have been pretty dangerous.

MA-Horus posted:

gently caress you if you don't clear your roof, if that poo poo freezes it breaks windscreens.

Yep, should be a moving violation.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
This fuckin' guy

quote:

"I don't think I've ever seen anything around that would alert people. You drive down the street you see [signs reading] 'Don't text and drive,' 'Watch for motorcyclists,' stuff like that. I've never seen something about cleaning off your vehicle in the winter so it's never even crossed my mind."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yep, that poo poo is a loving hazard, ticket well deserved.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i bet that guy felt real good about himself alerting all the news agencies that he got a traffic ticket

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Looks like we need to vet if Freeland is into water sports and knows any Russian.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Looks like we need to vet if Freeland is into water sports and knows any Russian.

She says her Russian is better than her French, and her French is very good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't believe this loving year so far. What the gently caress.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

vyelkin posted:

Chrystia Freeland is weird. Here's her giving a TED talk, presumably based on her book Plutocrats, where she, I would say quite reasonably, goes through a laundry list of the good and bad things about globalization and the inequality it creates, and closes by saying the only way to avoid a dystopian future of everyone just being servants of wealthy billionaire tech moguls is to have "a new New Deal" and a reconstruction of the welfare state and trade unions to go along with the ongoing reconstruction of our economic system. If you watch this talk and think what Canadian political party she seems closest to, you would probably say the NDP.

One month after giving that talk she left her job as a journalist to run for the Liberal Party, presumably knowing full well their history of pro-plutocrat policies, particularly in the 1990s, and after 2015 she became the Trade Minister and aggressively pursued the kind of globalizing policies and trade deals she used to criticize as producing plutocrats and hollowing out *~the middle class~*.

As I think Helsing said, I really could see her being the leader of the LPC whenever Trudeau calls it quits. She's the perfect Liberal combination of seemingly-genuine concern over real problems, the ability to say all the right words to make left-wing people think she's on their side, and then once in power actually enacting policies that are the opposite of everything she claimed to be concerned about before.

I was going to say basically this. Dion was too prickly and too sincere about the environment to ever be a True Liberal. Freeland seems to have already mastered the Liberal art of talking out of both sides of your mouth simultaneously (yes, a veiled Chretien reference in 2017, ha ha haa). She's only 48 so get used to it.

e: oh, I should add: In loving memory of Stephane Dion, MP:

quote:

Figure 1: “Not a leader” (the Dion shrug)

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Well I already put myself into contention for worst poster of the day, might as well cement the win.

I just went outside to clear off my roof and shovel and didnt do the sidewalk in front of my house. Its 2 degrees and alternating between rain and snow so each shovelful I lifted weighed about 10-15kg. Its me. Im the worst loving person.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

Dion spent the day dumping on Conservative Leader Stephen Harper over a Tory Internet spot – now removed – that showed a puffin leaving droppings on the Liberal leader's shoulder.

"This very day the Conservatives have shown who they are" in the style of their campaign, Dion said at an event in Napanee.

"Mr. Harper had to apologize – and I accept the apology – because they went even further than usual with vulgar attack ads.

"But I hope they (the Tories) learn from their mistake and that they will understand that the way Canadians want to debate is the high road, not the low blow," Dion said.

Can't wait for the 2017 version of this with Kevin O'Leary who will not be so cucked as to offer an apology

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 11, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yep, that poo poo is a loving hazard, ticket well deserved.

There is a lady who gets on thr road the same time as me who flies by me on icy roads with maybe a portion of windshield the size of a magazine cleared on her otherwise snow covered SUV

She is terrifying and will die someday in her snowy coffin

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Someone sure wanted to take a dump on Dion's reputation on the way out. Liberals are always nastiest to their own.

Stéphane Dion’s poor communication skills led to cabinet ouster

quote:

Stéphane Dion, considered an unlikely diplomat by some fellow Liberals, was removed as foreign affairs minister after just 14 months on the job because the Trudeau government felt it needed someone more skilled at the delicate task of steering Canada-U.S. relations in the Trump era.

The veteran of more than 20 years in federal politics is now weighing a job offer from Justin Trudeau that is believed to be an ambassadorship to the European Union or other posts in Europe. If Mr. Dion takes the job, his new boss would be Chrystia Freeland, who replaced him Tuesday as foreign affairs minister in a cabinet shuffle.

Liberals who have worked with the 61-year-old Mr. Dion, a former academic, describe him as extremely intelligent and hard-working, but some say he can be idiosyncratic, prickly and, that within government, he’s not considered a master communicator.

After taking the helm at Global Affairs, Mr. Dion struggled to defend why the centre-left Trudeau government was proceeding with a deal brokered by Ottawa to sell $15-billion of combat vehicles to Saudi Arabia, a human-rights pariah. He insisted the deal, first clinched by the Harper government, was beyond the Liberals’ control before it emerged that Mr. Dion himself quietly approved the export of the military goods, despite rules that sought to restrict shipment of weapons to countries that abuse their citizens.

“I think it’s fair to say he kind of stumbled out of the starting gate with the Saudi arms deal … and he never really regained his stride,” said Fen Hampson, distinguished fellow at the Centre for International Governance Innovation.

Mr. Dion took heat last June for standing by silently as China’s foreign minister berated a Canadian journalist for asking about Beijing’s human-rights record during a press conference. Mr. Trudeau later acknowledged how inappropriate the Chinese envoy’s behaviour was and said Ottawa had complained to Beijing.

Another long-time Liberal who has worked with Mr. Dion said he lacks sufficient ability to read people – a challenge when navigating Washington under U.S. president-elect Donald Trump, a politician who has demonstrated he can be quick to take offence.

“The No. 1 job of a diplomat, especially the top diplomat, is relationships,” the Liberal said. “It’s all about relationships. [Mr. Dion] has got a bunch of strengths, but that is one area in which he was the wrong fit.”

Mr. Hampson said it’s apparent the Trudeau team chose to go with someone who’s a better schmoozer.

“Trump is the great communicator and I think [the Prime Minister’s Office has] come to the conclusion that they need a foreign minister who is also going to be an effective communicator at a time when there is a risk we could get sideswiped on a whole bunch of issues from auto trade to softwood lumber,” Mr. Hampson said.

Mr. Dion released a statement wishing Ms. Freeland luck, calling his service in Ottawa an “incredible adventure” and saying he plans to “deploy my efforts outside active politics” in the future. His office said he is “weighing a substantial offer with his family that is befitting his service and experience.”

Mr. Trudeau told reporters he’s asked Mr. Dion to take on an extremely important role internationally, but did not elaborate.

An ambassadorship would be a final coda to Mr. Dion’s career in public service that began in 1996 and saw him win the Liberal leadership in 2006, lose the 2008 election and then come close to becoming prime minister in a possible coalition government before being outmanoeuvred by Stephen Harper.

The Montreal MP may be best remembered for his work fighting separatism in the government of former Liberal prime minister Jean Chrétien following the 1995 Quebec referendum to leave Canada that was only narrowly defeated.

As Mr. Chrétien’s minister of intergovernmental affairs, Mr. Dion was an unflinching voice for federalism when it wasn’t a popular position in Quebec. He worked to counter false or misleading propositions by separatist voices. He was portrayed as a rat in some political cartoons, but he never backed down.

He sponsored the Clarity Act, which sets the terms under which Ottawa would negotiate the secession of Quebec after a Yes vote in a referendum to separate. The law says a clear question and a clear majority are required, but that Parliament will ultimately decide whether conditions have been met. Despite warnings from federalists and separatists alike, this did not feed a backlash in Quebec.

“On some very big, almost existential questions, such as the unity file … he was exactly the right guy and in his professorial, awkward persona, he kind of communicated that: that he was a guy who wasn’t going to mess around with the future of our country and was not afraid to say and do the right thing,” said Peter Donolo, who served as director of communications to Mr. Chrétien.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"He can't read people. Let's make him a diplomat."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Not sure who's the one being flattered by the comparison of Trump to Reagan. Baalzebub, probably.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

"He can't read people. Let's make him a diplomat."

I thought he wasnt even getting a position as a diplomat and was basically being sent over to Europe to vanish from the public eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

some talking head posted:

Trump is the great communicator and I think [the Prime Minister’s Office has] come to the conclusion that they need a foreign minister who is also going to be an effective communicator at a time when there is a risk we could get sideswiped on a whole bunch of issues from auto trade to softwood lumber,” Mr. Hampson said.

How effective a communicator do you have to be to tell everyone 'Yeah, we got hosed over by the Americans yet again' or 'Yes, Mr. President, of course'?