Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
I'm not a fan of 2 cp maps, but I agree to a point. Volskaya has a proper flank route, if it followed Hanamura design all you'd have is the main entrance and that little window. The b-site design also allows for better locking of people into the chokes when they're coming to stall.

2 cp maps are still a bummer when one pops up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd like Hanamura so much better if it just had a drat flank route for the first point

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Might as well just make the whole stage just Point B then.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I used to do this a lot. Torb was my main back in Season 1.

Season 3 is really fuckin' weird for me. I think my mains are liable to wind up Zenyatta and Genji. Maybe my incorrectly played Mercy. I am just generally making GBS threads the bed with everyone else except Hanzo and Widow and it takes.... trust... to get a team to let me to play them.

Let you? gently caress that play what you want.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Might as well just make the whole stage just Point B then.

point b is a lot harder to take than point a on hanamura

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah and in my experience taking A is usually easy enough on either side that adding another route would basically make it a formality.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Duck and Cover posted:

Let you? gently caress that play what you want.

your entire team tilting because the dude with 2 hours of comp play time is screaming "don't play <hero that isn't in the professional meta>" generally isn't worth it

unless you don't care about your SR then go crazy 👌

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
At the end of the day SR is just a number and we're not all blinky, so who gives a gently caress right?

I mean, I spent four hours on overwatch yesterday and ended up four points above where I started, so gently caress it, not caring hurts less :v:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I'd like Hanamura so much better if it just had a drat flank route for the first point

True. Left exite from attacker spawn should feed into that isolated area to the left of the choke with a large health pack, which, in turn, should provide a flank route past the main gate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dogstile posted:

At the end of the day SR is just a number and we're not all blinky, so who gives a gently caress right?

I mean, I spent four hours on overwatch yesterday and ended up four points above where I started, so gently caress it, not caring hurts less :v:

Play to have fun imo, no matter what mode. SR is just a byproduct of all the fun and enjoyment one is hopefully getting out of the game in comp. This is the chill mindset :cool:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slam pick your favorite hero and mute everyone, your SR will soar (but you won't care because you're having fun.)

That's how I went from rank 36 -> 1500. You can do it too.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Doublestep posted:

your entire team tilting because the dude with 2 hours of comp play time is screaming "don't play <hero that isn't in the professional meta>" generally isn't worth it

unless you don't care about your SR then go crazy 👌

I have a 60-65% winrate in season 3, and most of my games has someone screaming at me to switch at some point, because I'm doing zero dps.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

teagone posted:

Play to have fun imo, no matter what mode. SR is just a byproduct of all the fun and enjoyment one is hopefully getting out of the game in comp. This is the chill mindset :cool:

Turtlicious posted:

Slam pick your favorite hero and mute everyone, your SR will soar (but you won't care because you're having fun.)

That's how I went from rank 36 -> 1500. You can do it too.
after reaching 2970 about 4 times and then plummeting back to 2500-2600 due to loss streaks ive given up on trying to hit diamond and i just autolock soldier pretty much every game and my enjoyment has gone up dramatically

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mymla posted:

I have a 60-65% winrate in season 3, and most of my games has someone screaming at me to switch at some point, because I'm doing zero dps.

This but with a 40% winrate and me playing hanzo

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

flatluigi posted:

The pro strat for Hanamura A is to go through the drat gate as a team, so I can imagine your frustration if you're pubbin it.

B is some bullshit, though. Wipe the team or get stalled for ages.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My quest to settle on which sniper is the best sniper continues.

Widowmaker and I are seeing other people, specifically I have been getting a bit of Hanzo action on the side. Not gonna lie, hadn't much interest in "guy who brings bows to a gun fight" but after being hosed annihilated over and over again by Hanzos over my playing career I decided time had come, take that plunge.

He's goddamned great. Does the charge up on the bow only affect range, not power? I can't tell, sometimes I can absolutely wipe out a Tracer ambush with a panicked flurry of quick shot arrows and it makes me think I do full power with each shot, but then sometimes I just get loving murdered because I'm slow as poo poo and can't shield myself or quickly escape.

Somebody teach me Hanzo 101. How come other people wipe my whole team with his dumb dragon laser and I don't how do I do dragons properly

what is he saying in japanese

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The dragons will consume my enemies.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I sustain myself from the salt of my enemies.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sashimi posted:

I sustain myself from the salt of my enemies.

And also the salt of his own team mates

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I've had to go back to playing Comp matches because my QP rating is apparently high enough to keep pairing me against 3.5k+ Solder76/Mcrees.

This game just isn't fun with laser pointer classes.

lol the 3.5k+ death squads in qp are something I have been running into a lot as well in the past few weeks, I feel like there is something wrong with the matchmaking

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He's goddamned great. Does the charge up on the bow only affect range, not power?

Charging your shot affects range, power and projectile speed. An uncharged shot does 29 damage and flies at a rate of 22 m/sec. A fully charged shot does 125 damage and flies at a rate of 86.66 m/sec.

http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Hanzo

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Charging does increase the damage, Tracer's made of tissue paper though, so low charge arrows will end her pretty quickly if she's reckless. And scatter arrow seems to make a point of ending her from how many double bounces I've taken to the head.
For the dragons, you want to fire them pretty close to the enemy, and aim towards areas they'll retreat to if possible. It's also really nice to combo with graviton surge or earthshatter if you can communicate with your tanks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The best thing you can do with dragon outside of combos is predict when the enemy will be retreating from teamfights and shoot the dragon into their escape route as they back up.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

lol the 3.5k+ death squads in qp are something I have been running into a lot as well in the past few weeks, I feel like there is something wrong with the matchmaking

That's exactly what it is. It's getting really stompy again, just like on release month. I'm wondering if the top-end of the community is contracting, so higher end players are more likely to be lumped with the lower end (me.)

I've seen plenty of groups with twink accounts though to lower their score though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

frajaq posted:

This but with a 40% winrate and me playing hanzo

As someone who plays weird heroes, I don't get why they bother yelling. You'd think they'd notice it doesn't work.

It's mostly the same lines each time too. End result is, it feels like I'm playing with chat bots instead of people.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I like when my teammates yell that my hero pick is a bad pick. I always politely ask what hero I should be playing and most of the time they cannot tell me. If they don't know what hero would be better suited then they don't know what a bad pick is either.

Match making chat: I didn't like season 1 because it was an endless stream of stomp, get stomped, repeat. Season 2 was that way for about a week then I had well over 100 really fun matches. Season 3 is back to a stomp, get stomped, repeat rut.

Make ranked matching great again!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I like when my teammates yell that my hero pick is a bad pick. I always politely ask what hero I should be playing and most of the time they cannot tell me. If they don't know what hero would be better suited then they don't know what a bad pick is either.

I find it quite simple really. If the first two heroes slam-picked are Hanzo/Widow, I ask them to please play any offense character that isn't Sombra.

My personal reasoning is at least that way it'll be a warm body on the battlefield for the enemy to target. When you have nothing but snipers, the entire team will be targeting the tanks and healers because idiots want to play Sniper Elite instead of a team-based objective game.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I finally completed all my placement matches and got something like just over 2000 SR. On my first proper competitive game I got shouted at by the Rein player for not keeping him alive even though he consistently kept charging past the objective and into enemy lines. I think I might just go back to QP.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Montalvo posted:

I finally completed all my placement matches and got something like just over 2000 SR. On my first proper competitive game I got shouted at by the Rein player for not keeping him alive even though he consistently kept charging past the objective and into enemy lines. I think I might just go back to QP.

It's not too hard to keep dumb Rein players alive when you're Ana. Were you Ana? If you were Lucio and he was yelling at you, then yeah, tell him to stop playing like a scrub or blame the Ana that wasn't healing him, lmao.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No orphan, the cake is all mine.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I'm at Sr like 1800 and I find while a lot of people are trying to do the whole pro comp meta poo poo and do so terribly, I find a lot more people that know they aren't the greatest and generally get super happy when we pull a win. I've had people give me poo poo about my score but gently caress it. Chill overwatch is best overwatch.

Also anyone got any good vids or guides on pharah? I can not for the life of me figure her out. I'm like a stumbling retard with rockets going every where and constantly hitting my head on every over hang when trying to boost up.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It was me, Dio!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Pharah is great:
-Be aware of what's above you or you will waste boosts!

-use your concussion missile in a variety of ways! Most obvious is to knock enemy dudes off the map. Also use it to push yourself away from surprise close encounters and to leave bad engagements quickly. Use it to knock enemies away from teammates in bad situations. You can use it with your boost jump fo a super jump. Faced opposite of your intended direction, fire there missile at the ground, quickly turn around and boost and you'll get pushed in the direction you want to go, is great fun! Use it to break up enemy clumps/push an enemy into your own team so they can rip them apart!

-use you're rockets to break Rein's shield. While on the subject of Rein, fly above him and shoot rockets onto his head. He will either take the damage or turn his shield toward you which exposes him to your team.

-use your lift in spurts, you should almost never hold space to deplete your lift.

-move unpredictably in the air. Don't be afraid to fall out of the sky like a rock if a 76, McCree, or Widow aims at you.

-sneak around to flank enemies if it makes sense

-fly behind enemy lines to destroy Symmetra's structures

-save your ult for when the enemy team is distracted. Also try to time it when enemy Dva shields are on cool down, Roadhog chain is on cooldown, etc. If Reinhart throws up a shield I find it usually to be a good move to send all you're rockets into it because a broken enemy shield is never a bad thing.

This is just some stuff that popped into my head about playing Pharah. She's one of my three favorite charterers to play and she should be in yours too!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

You can use it with your boost jump fo a super jump. Faced opposite of your intended direction, fire there missile at the ground, quickly turn around and boost and you'll get pushed in the direction you want to go, is great fun!
You can do this more smoothly by simply looking straight down, holding W, jumping briefly, then conc-blasting. You'll be pushed up and forward. It requires a tiny bit more timing and everyone once in awhile I gently caress it up and go up and backwards, basically wasting it, but its a lot easier for me to do than spinning around a bunch.

Some more stuff:
Use your jets to get into odd places or better firing angles and less to float majestically through the air. If you're on a rooftop and draw attention to yourself, you can walk backwards to avoid fire. You can't do that anywhere near as fast if you're flying. You're essentially a vertically mobile flanker with the ability to hit stationary long-range targets for lots of damage, or closer targets with high burst damage. This makes you one of the best ways to kill turrets without needing any support or healing, and you can pressure an area really well by spamming chokes.

If you ever aren't really sure what to do or where to go, start putting rockets on Reinhardt's shield. Its a huge target, easy to hit, and you'll slow down his whole team and weaken the shield for the eventual team fight. There might be better things you could be doing, but that's not really a bad choice until you start figuring out routes and places to hang out.

A good S76 or McCree who is paying attention to you can mess you up really fast, either avoid them or consider switching if you find yourself being shut down a lot. DVa can do a lot to irritate you with her matrix, but shouldn't directly be a huge threat.

e: vvvv Fair enough, I'll work at the other way and see if its better for me. And if you are spamming chokes with rockets, occasionally vary your timing for a bit. Just holding m1 for six shots can let people get a handle on your timing, but firing some, a brief pause, then the rest can make them think you're reloading and make a move forward so they get hit. Probably worthless at high levels because the people will be good enough to just avoid/anticipate that, but it works well at my mediocre tier.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 10, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't find the straight down and w method works as well, personally.

the other thing I think is moist important to good pharah play on maps where she can be most effective is rocketspam and map control. particularly on defense you want to be shooting your rocket into a choke at all times. like just stop to reload. this is an incredibly effective method of both getting info on the other team (like on gibraltar 2nd point, you can easily spam 2 doors at the rate you need, now you're at 50% knowledge even before hearing hit pips) as well as zoning them into a more vulnerable position on the map (like on nepal sanctum, this allows your team to play together much more effectively with you backing them up). obviously this makes you super visible so you need to be aware of dudes that can gank you and ideally change your position every so often.

um what else, oh koth you can use the conc blast jump especially with lucio to get high above the point really fast. you can either use this just to spam chokes and get early charge (gently caress you zarya) and if you're good or lucky a healer pick. but again be aware of your fragility and don't overextend.

focus on your advantageous matchups and avoid the ones that are bad for you. obviously that's relevant for most characters but even more applicable to pharah. at my rank 2700-2800 you can clown on reapers, meis, junks, even a lot of soldiers, but just stay the gently caress out of mcrees way.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 10, 2017

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i don't know what happened but dva really clicked for me recently and now I'm really sad because she is eating the nerf stick so hard.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Half the game in Comp is gently removing the sticks in their asses, taking a sniff, gently putting it back and saying their poo poo doesn't stink.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is tracer strong once dva gets nerfed? Lots of tanks will still be around since Ana is basically untouched from last patch and tracer can stack pulse bombs really fast off tanks

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

tracer's counter isn't d.va in the tank meta, it's roadhog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Zikan posted:

tracer's counter isn't d.va in the tank meta, it's roadhog

Well, they borked Roadhog's hook in PTR on top of nerfing D.Va, so...