Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Read them in publication order.

The Last Wish, The Sword of Destiny, The Time of Contempt, The Blood of the Elves, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of Swallows, Lady of the Lake and, if you really want to go all-in, you can read Season of Storms too, which is a much more recently published short stories collection that received mixed critiques and was probably only published because the author realized the games were mad popular and wanted to bank on that.

Blood of Elves comes before Time of Contempt.

Lady of the Lake only has fan translations right now, I think. The official one comes out in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

necrobobsledder posted:

I've gotta admit that in hindsight I'd have enjoyed the games even more if I had read the books before playing Witcher 3. The writing is engrossing enough as it is and with greater depth on references (like that zeugl that Geralt keeps mentioning) makes you appreciate each line that much more. The way CDPR put their own touches here and there while balancing the precedents of Sapkowski in the game is what seems to have been the right formula for success.
Several characters in Blood and Wine are from the books. The scar on Ciri's cheek is explained, for starters. The weight of running for half her life through even worse situations than the games is made more acute. The relationship between Emhyr and Geralt and Yennefer is also far different if you read the books (I will never bow correctly for him since yet somewhat can't help but slightly feel bad for him in the popular game ending now). There's also something more with characters like Fringilla. Outside Geralt's immediate circle the relationship between Philippa and Djikstra is really crazy, and you'll see stuff around Kaer Morhen that references the books. You'll know what happened with his leg and why Geralt really does not trust him no matter what. Your relationship with the druids of Skellige and how that happens makes a bit more sense as well. And every other quest you'll find is a direct analog to a story from the books adapted for the game but capturing the message and narrative. Oh, and you'll see how amazingly faithful CDPR stuck to the source while creating their own characters and stories - the popular characters by game fans turn out to be a strong mix of Sapkowski characters and CDPR originals. The general effect is that the world will seem even richer for all the references and continuity weaving undertaken. Reading the books will almost assuredly put you on the canonical path to marrying Yennefer.

There's gazillions of references to book events and characters that will only help immersion if you read through them, although if you super sperg it all you'll start to see a couple cracks of course.

It's also asinine to strongly recommend reading the books before playing. But if you really like any of the games' stories beyond Act 1 ish I think it's not terrible to stop then and binge read the books and hopefully get Sapkowski a little more cash (although I suspect he's getting none now given how salty he is).

Speaking of the books, Geralt sustains a horrible leg injury and the books mention that he never fully regained his mobility. Is it just me or does Geralt have a barely noticable limp in the game when he runs? That would totally check out with all the other great stuff that they did.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

Blood of Elves comes before Time of Contempt.

You're right, I got them mixed up while typing that up. As for the English translations, I have no idea, I don't read the novels in English. Would still make sense to wait for the translations rather than skip over a novel or change translators mid-way IMO, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JaucheCharly posted:

Speaking of the books, Geralt sustains a horrible leg injury and the books mention that he never fully regained his mobility. Is it just me or does Geralt have a barely noticable limp in the game when he runs? That would totally check out with all the other great stuff that they did.

He went through a portal to another dimension and rode around with ghost elves. They can ignore something like a twisted multiple fracture leg for the sake of game conventions.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JaucheCharly posted:

His bad leg is actually pointed out to him in Witcher 1. Not sure about the animation though.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yennefer's brain was also scrambled by the Wild Hunt

Where do you learn about the Wild Hunt brain scrambling stuff? Is this in the books or the game? I'm about to finish book 4 and am curious.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ROFLburger posted:

Where do you learn about the Wild Hunt brain scrambling stuff? Is this in the books or the game? I'm about to finish book 4 and am curious.

Games, that is all stuff that happens after the books.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ROFLburger posted:

All of that stuff is in the games, all that Wild Hunt traveling takes place after the events of the last book.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

There are 2 great videos made by one of the devs who worked on Witcher 1 and 2. They're mostly about Witcher 1's humble beginnings (first demos at E3 etc.) but I felt they're really loving great just for showing off CDPR's thought process + tons of trivia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMmFiQp3Q_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWlnL6Tr6k
Nice, thanks!
It's a really interesting story of how the studio grew from absolutely nothing to such huge prominence, in 10 years. Would have been awesome to see more stuff from them about the creative process, writing, character design, voice talent and so on. Then again they -probably- have enough to be getting on with making incredible games.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Please help me not get hit so many times during fighting. I am like Rhonda Rousey against downers.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hit "alt" and either "a" or "d" to sidestep attacks. Use quen as a security blanket until you get better at avoiding attacks.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 10, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Grem posted:

Please help me not get hit so many times during fighting. I am like Rhonda Rousey against downers.

Stay very mobile, don't get greedy, only do a couple sword strokes then dodge/roll your way out. Use bombs and signs liberally to CC and damage big groups of enemies. Igni against most monsters, Aard against humanoids and flyers, Yrden against anything but especially wraiths, Axii is imo a lot more situational in combat.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hit "alt" and a direction key to sidestep

or, double-tap a direction key, that's what was super easy for me

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Grem posted:

Use the dodge bound to left alt, rather than space. Also bind it to something better.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Don't let monsters get behind you because strikes to your back seriously gently caress you up. If you're fighting a group of drowners keep circling them and only give them a few fast attacks at a time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Get a controller.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea I actually have a controller so the alt stepping isn't very helpful, guess I should have said that!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Bound sidestep to Mouse 5, spam those invincibility frames, kill monsters/mans

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Grem posted:

Yea I actually have a controller so the alt stepping isn't very helpful, guess I should have said that!

Uhh hit B and a direction
Works exactly the same

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Grem posted:

parry plus b or parry plus a for all your mad side-step/dodge-roll needs.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

this is a good game

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I only just now got to Kaer Morhen and getting drunk with Lambert and Eskel might be the peak of the Witcher games for me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dr Cheeto posted:

I only just now got to Kaer Morhen and getting drunk with Lambert and Eskel might be the peak of the Witcher games for me.

Lambert Lambert what a prick.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Get a controller.

Definitely this, it is way easier and more comfortable with a controller

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Norns posted:

God that was great. True too.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
So I just got to the Misty Isle and as soon as Ciri wakes up when Geralt hugs her, and the flashback to the field starts immediate CTD, and immediate CTD upon loading any quick/auto saves.

Is this a known issue? Googling finds players with CTDs after the 'SAVE NOW' dialogue (which obviously I did, so can revert to before the Isle), but not CTDs after it.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Just replayed the entire game from beginning to end on expert to get the platinum trophy for the base game. It took probably... 1/30th the time to complete, even on expert.
It was also really fun just "playing" the game and not looking up ever quest outcome to see if I was going to permanently alter the ending or just make a bad decision that'd made me bummed.

Excited to get to Hearts of Stone now and then B&W after that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Norns posted:

Not bad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just got through the Isle of Mists and the part after.

:smith:

That snowball fight was amazing, though.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Blood and Wine sidequests: Now that I've finished the main quest, I've kind of run out of steam. The professor Moreau (sp?) super-mutations thing looks interesting though - is it good? Any other good ones I should check out? I took out that big fort full of bandits up north but haven't done very much else except for the banking bureaucracy one.

I keep listening to the soundtrack at work, it makes me want to get ma witcher on again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you do the super mutations quest then you can use them in New Game+ so you may as well do that quest and then put the game down until you feel like starting over from the beginning

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

El Grillo posted:

Blood and Wine sidequests: Now that I've finished the main quest, I've kind of run out of steam. The professor Moreau (sp?) super-mutations thing looks interesting though - is it good? Any other good ones I should check out? I took out that big fort full of bandits up north but haven't done very much else except for the banking bureaucracy one.

I keep listening to the soundtrack at work, it makes me want to get ma witcher on again.

Super Aard is quite super.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

That fool's gold quest was pretty funny.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

guns for tits posted:

That fool's gold quest was pretty funny.

" You better find another place to live, before the other villagers lynch you."
" Yea, ok. Whatever that means."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grem posted:

You want the dodge button (circle on PS4, I think), then make sure your signs are on Quen using the L1 trigger and the right stick. Activate Quen using the R2 trigger, then hit your enemy a few times with quick attacks (square). When it looks like they're going to swing, dodge backward. Hit Quen again, run back, and once you have the timing better, mix in some strong attacks with the quick attacks. Quen gives you a pillow to absorb about one hit, usually, so while you're learning the timing of when they attack, it helps. Also: don't worry about running out of oil. The game does tell you, but I missed it: your alchemy ingredients regenerate whenever you meditate. So for some extra bang, just slap on the oil that's good against whatever you're fighting (for drowners, it's necrophage oil, but you look it up in the glossary).

Whenever the game requires you to fight people with your fists, do the following: wait for your enemy to get into his swing, then hit hit the L2 trigger to parry and riposte. As your opponent is staggering, hit him two or three times, then dodge backward until you have some distance. Wait for him to move toward you, and repeat. It makes every boxing match so easy, you can beat opponents who are well above your level this way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, now that I am on Witcher Ireland, AKA Skellige, and have done a few quests, it's definitely the best of the three areas. I'm glad I saved it for last.

My least favorite things to fight are Sirens, because they combine the games worst mechanics: swimming, things that fly, and using the crossbow. My favorite things to fight are those tree spirit things that turn into a flock of crows and summon wolves, because it engages with the better, complicated aspects of combat. I also like blowing over their creepy totems. I have also enjoyed using the Jedi mind trick ability at every available opportunity. That it just hands you 40 experience regardless of if it works and has funny consequences when it doesn't is fantastic.

I want to be friends with all the trolls, even the ones that I had to beat in a riddle contest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

People who don't play Geralt as a friend to all trolls should just uninstall imo.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

El Grillo posted:

Head to the small settlement NE of the Dun Tynne crossroads, there's an unmarked quest from a hermit named Pinastri who has a phantom problem. You won't regret it!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

People who don't play Geralt as a friend to all trolls should just uninstall imo.

Trolls are the one thing I didn't mind them reusing so often in this. Godlings and Katakans, on the other hand...

It's a real bummer they actually had fewer monsters than the previous games, and most were just palette swaps... was really hoping to see some Alips or Bruxae or Garkains, or some giant centipedes or something like that.

Still had a good selection, just would have been nice to have a more Monster Hunter type vibe in terms of differently named monsters, even if they're similar builds/types, having very different attack animations you have to learn individually. Also the dodge move having fewer iframes.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Fuzz posted:

It's a real bummer they actually had fewer monsters than the previous games, and most were just palette swaps... was really hoping to see some Alips or Bruxae or Garkains, or some giant centipedes or something like that.

You need to get into Blood and Wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
While we're on the topic, are arachnomorphs basically always a complete PITA for melee builds (at least once you've run out of bombs...), or is there some obvious counter to them that I've overlooked?