potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

I was more trying to slight that guy who hated derail bird than actually end the derail, was that guy you I can't remember

I like derail bird okay :(

Not sure if this refers to me but way more unsure how it can be perceived as a slight.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

potatoducks posted:

How do you guys (non-admins) even get here? Do you guys care so much that you look at people's posting history on a regular basis?

because when in d&d threads people who have a history of race baiting and virtue signalling do it to lowtax and it's going to blow up in their faces it's hilarious that they think they are in the right

WampaLord posted:

Any other poster is wrong about something - discussion ensues

A black poster is wrong about something - banned and Lowtax himself shows up to refute him. I wanted to post this in the BWM thread but I figure I'd get probated/banned for saying it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

potatoducks posted:

How do you guys (non-admins) even get here? Do you guys care so much that you look at people's posting history on a regular basis?

I was reading This thread When the OP turned into a red X. I peeked at the reason and it looked very serious, so I went here to take a look.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

cowofwar posted:

It seems like it would be difficult to hide wire fraud against a user base of millions when the business provides a means for all those users to communicate with each other.

I've been here for over 15 years and have never even heard the whisper of a fraudulent transaction linked to SA.
Logic has no place in discussions where people have already made up their minds and are unwilling to listen to anything that threatens their worldview.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

potatoducks posted:

How do you guys (non-admins) even get here? Do you guys care so much that you look at people's posting history on a regular basis?

Someone cross-posted this in the yossec thread because it's prime yossec thread material.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Mnoba posted:

because when in d&d threads people who have a history of race baiting and virtue signalling do it to lowtax and it's going to blow up in their faces it's hilarious that they think they are in the right

I wasn't aware we had to enter our ethnicity when registering so the admins could check it before deciding how to respond.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mnoba posted:

because when in d&d threads people who have a history of race baiting and virtue signalling do it to lowtax and it's going to blow up in their faces it's hilarious that they think they are in the right

You're out here using literal alt-right/neo-nazi terms in this post.. You're probably not the best judge of what is "in the right"

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Koalas March posted:

You're out here using literal alt-right/neo-nazi terms in this post.. You're probably not the best judge of what is "in the right"

check ur privilege

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

potatoducks posted:

How do you guys (non-admins) even get here? Do you guys care so much that you look at people's posting history on a regular basis?

The best way to navigate the forums has always been the ban list dude :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mnoba posted:

because when in d&d threads people who have a history of race baiting and virtue signalling do it to lowtax and it's going to blow up in their faces it's hilarious that they think they are in the right

Oh man you just used "race baiting" and "virtue signalling" unironically in the same sentence ahahaha

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mnoba posted:

because when in d&d threads people who have a history of race baiting and virtue signalling do it to lowtax and it's going to blow up in their faces it's hilarious that they think they are in the right

Thanks for the call out post, rear end in a top hat. You got a problem? Take it to PMs.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

It seems like it would be difficult to hide wire fraud against a user base of millions when the business provides a means for all those users to communicate with each other.

I've been here for over 15 years and have never even heard the whisper of a fraudulent transaction linked to SA.

The only time I've had a whiff of anything fraudulent with my account is when Richard Lowtax told everyone that we had to change our passwords every 30 days to some crazy obscure 96-character multi-symbol string because technical reasons, then IIRC it turned out it was because of some bullshit Radium made up because he was really bad at his job and I haven't been prompted for a password change since.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
see what i mean

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
hey lets hide in a thread called negrotown and call lowtax a racist he'll never find us here!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I feel like this whole derail is a glimpse of what will happen to North America once trump is inaugurated.

On the bright side I already know what'll win 2017 wonderhanger nomination for worst derail.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mnoba posted:

because when in d&d threads people who have a history of race baiting and virtue signalling do it to lowtax and it's going to blow up in their faces it's hilarious that they think they are in the right

I don't know what those words mean sorry

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mnoba posted:

because when in d&d threads people who have a history of race baiting and virtue signalling do it to lowtax and it's going to blow up in their faces it's hilarious that they think they are in the right

"Those d&d posters sure are annoying with their wacky fringe beliefs and invading threads"

-a /pol poster who's never posted here before today

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lowtax posted:

I don't know what those words mean sorry

They're alt-right magical incantations, they're actually casting a curse of racisms on you

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Koalas March posted:

You're out here using literal alt-right/neo-nazi terms in this post.. You're probably not the best judge of what is "in the right"

Lmbo "alt-right/neo-nazi terms"

Either post about some sad idiot in your life who bought a $70,000 truck or virtue signal your way back to D&D

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Moneyball posted:

Lmbo "alt-right/neo-nazi terms"

Either post about some sad idiot in your life who bought a $70,000 truck or virtue signal your way back to D&D

I'm trying to parse this in a way that doesn't come across as "what would minorities know about discrimination and why can't they do it quietly somewhere else" but am failing.

e. not worth continuing the derail with a new post but

Moneyball posted:

Try to parse it as "this thread is for posting stories about people bad with money, and definitely not for making poo poo up about whether or not the forums admins have access to credit card information and/or if they are racist"

No need to be mad, BFC fam.

parse my dick with your mouth.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 11, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Lmbo "alt-right/neo-nazi terms"

Either post about some sad idiot in your life who bought a $70,000 truck or virtue signal your way back to D&D

Says the poster who smugly dropped the fact that he voted for trump into this thread like 4 times the day after the election

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Do. Not. Engage.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How the gently caress is this hard?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Try to parse it as "this thread is for posting stories about people bad with money, and definitely not for making poo poo up about whether or not the forums admins have access to credit card information and/or if they are racist"

ate all the Oreos posted:

Says the poster who smugly dropped the fact that he voted for trump into this thread like 4 times the day after the election

It was related to the money-related discussion at the time :iamafag:
No need to be mad, BFC fam.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moneyball posted:

Either post about some sad idiot in your life who bought a $70,000 truck
my girlfriend insists on buying a big-rear end SUV even though she is 5'1 and never really moves anything big around for no other reason except to be higher up off the road

i can't convince otherwise. i don't get why people can't just rent a uhaul or borrow someone's SUV for the once every 1-3 years that they need to move and then buy a $20,000 less expensive car

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
sorry to ruin your thread i won't mess around it any more

i did use this this subforum when i bought my first house 7 years ago coming out of the housing bubble as i was scared as poo poo getting a non fixed rate loan so i was able to ask the correct questions and take care of my family.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blinky2099 posted:

my girlfriend insists on buying a big-rear end SUV even though she is 5'1 and never really moves anything big around for no other reason except to be higher up off the road

Being higher off the road is nice. I'm constantly annoyed behind SUVs because I can't see the road conditions ahead very well. Not enough to get one, but I can see the appeal.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

How about a store item to probate other users for $5/day?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Droo posted:

How about a store item to probate other users for $5/day?

I suspect that would be bad with money in the long-term.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
THIS THREAD loving SUCKS NOW GODDAMNIT

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gorman Thomas posted:

THIS THREAD loving SUCKS NOW GODDAMNIT

Now?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Paying ten dollars to post on a message forum is bwm

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Paying ten dollars to post on a message forum is bwm

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Gorman Thomas posted:

THIS THREAD loving SUCKS NOW GODDAMNIT

Another play right out of the alt-right playbook.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

"My Boyfriend Is a Financial Train Wreck. Are We Doomed?"
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_bills/2017/01/ask_the_bills_what_to_do_when_your_significant_other_is_terrible_with_money.html

quote:

I have no consumer debt aside from a car loan; my student loans are fully paid off. My boyfriend, meanwhile, is a financial disaster. He was laid off two years ago from a job paying $45,000 a year. He now earns $30,000 and can’t keep up with his bills. He makes enough to cover his expenses yet regularly incurs overdraft fees because he spends every penny as soon as he gets his paycheck. He has no savings and a bad credit rating. I knew this before we moved in together.

He's figured out he can do whatever he wants without consequence, why wouldn't he let the good times roll.

quote:

I am fronting all our shared costs. He now owes me $3,000 in back rent, cellphone bills, car payments, and more. He’s working long hours but still goes out with his buddies after work (often buying rounds) and plays on two different sports teams (with membership fees) but never has money to contribute to the rent or the groceries.

She's paying his car loan? No way she's ever seeing a penny of that $3k.

quote:

He’s caring, attentive, does his share of the housework, and really does work his rear end off to earn as much as he can.

How is he working long hours and his rear end off at only $30k? I don't think someone with regular overdrafting is attentive.

The response from the advice columnist:

quote:

I see two ways forward. The first is that you sit down with your boyfriend and explain why you’re so upset. Then you’d work out a compromise that allows him to enjoy some of what he likes to do for relaxation but places you in charge of the money. He makes your joint bills his top responsibility, putting money aside for them (not to mention paying you back!) before he can spend even a dime on drinks with the boys.

Fortunately the second way forward is sane:

quote:

Which brings me to the other way forward: ending things right now.
:sever:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Droo posted:

How about a store item to probate other users for $5/day?

I don't think we want that kind of back-and-forth small-time sniping going on, but we've established before that it costs $72,613 to permaban someone.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

I don't think we want that kind of back-and-forth small-time sniping going on, but we've established before that it costs $72,613 to permaban someone.

Clever rouse to try and get us poors tobuy archives, DON'T FALL FOR IT :freep:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Guest2553 posted:

Clever rouse to try and get us poors tobuy archives, DON'T FALL FOR IT :freep:

I'm surprised it didn't get Goldmined, actually. The short summary was that Universal Module came in and asked GBS to do the legwork on a homework assignment for him, and got Mod Challenged for it. Jick Magger fulfilled the Challenge first, while UM bailed, and proposed this punishment: either donate $10 to a charity for the 2011 Japanese tsunami, or donate $10 to Lowtax for a new account.

Goons, being Goons, offered to pitch in money to charity to permaban him instead, unless he matched it.

This went on for a while, with goons challenging each other to eat terrible Subway combinations, shave their heads, and I've forgotten what else, and when the smoke cleared Universal Module had the odds stacked $72,613 against him.

He got banned, but good.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wife got an email.

quote:

From: yyyy@hamiltonvw.com
Date: January 10, 2017 at 5:10:37 PM EST
To: xxxxxxx
Subject: yyyyyy from Hamilton VW

Hello xxxxxxxxx, this is yyyyyyyyyy from Volkswagen.

I'm looking at your contract that shows 6 payments left on your 2015, Golf Sportswagon 4dr 1.8 TSI Comfortline AT and the payment is $1,055. Is this correct?

I'm calling because we have someone specifically interested in your Golf Sportswagon. As compensation to you, if we can give you a new Golf SportWagon keeping your payments at approx. $240 less than what you are paying now over the same term, could we have your car back today?

Please let me know

Hamilton VW Audi
lol

there is no interested buyer and it is a cold foot in the door

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You don't get to be Secretary of the Treasury, President of the US, and subject of a hit Broadway musical without learning a little hustle

  • Locked thread