Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Lord of Hats posted:

Mind elaborating, or is this just "lolsmogon"?

It's early in the format, and this is purely by usage rates, without bans established, and it's also still a period where everyone's trying all the shiny new stuff. That said, I wish that UU wasn't turning into ORAS OU, but I guess that just means I'll be playing RU and NU now, or something. Or they'll make a new tier somewhere.

While usage tiers are probably the most sensible way to do it the SM metagame is still really really early and the SM + everything else metagame is absurdly early and it would be worthwhile to hold back on both fronts.

Also some of their bans have been really dumb and Ultima66 makes an excellent point WRT their tier-building method.

E:

Ultima66 posted:

Honestly it's probably a good time to change the criterion for usage tiers on Smogon. Like, right now the way tiers are calculated is based on a cutoff of "50% chance to see a Pokemon on a team in games against X random opponents" or whatever. The thing is, suppose there's 10 Pokemon that are all equally good and in 10 random games you have a 80% chance to see a particular one of them. And then they add 4 more to the pool. Repeat 5 times. If every one of those Pokemon were all equally good, all of a sudden the chance to see any particular one of those Pokemon in 10 random games plummets. Basically, the cutoff is unsustainable as more Pokemon at similar power levels are added.

The way Smogon's always done it is just by adding more tiers, but at this point it probably makes more sense to just start making the tiers bigger. And honestly it would have made more sense from the beginning if they said like "UU is anything that's not top 30 most used Pokemon in OU, and RU is anything not top 30 most used in UU" and just made those cutoffs bigger as time went on. As is, the average usage rate of any individual Pokemon goes down every generation because the pool keeps getting bigger, which means the tiers actually get smaller over time.

Take this with a grain of salt though, I really dislike competitive singles and play almost exclusively on-cartridge because I hate the reliance Smogon and singles in general has on entry hazards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I mean if it turns out the missing Mega Stones will be available in the bank update, that will throw a wrench into everything.

Ogmius815 posted:

Looks like all those cuckolds in the old UU tier just got cucked by the big cuckold cuck monster. Cuckold.

gently caress you

I wasn't the one who made this image.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Bulbapedia page goes really deep, and the Glitch City Laboratories page isn't much better, but what it boils down to is that:
    1) The first trainer is only used to set the flag and then fly away
    2) Something that counts as a second trainer is necessary at some point - this can be an actual trainer or use a PC, get your menu back, and push a Strength boulder (flying to Fuschia is probably best, there's one in the Warden's building)
    3) The Pokemon you encounter when you walk back to the first trainer's area is based on the Special stat of the last Pokemon you fought. You can manipulate that either with a wild Ditto transforming into something you need or with a specific trainer (or with a wild encounter) or with a lucky random encounter
You need the right Special stat, basically. If those two are gone, it looks like the only other trainer option is to force a switch out on the bottom lady of the stack of four in that area with the Gambler and kill her first Pokemon last. I would absolutely recommend using a wild Ditto and a pokemon of your own with either 21 or 21+256=277 Special instead.

Sounds like it would be easier to just restart the whole game then. :sigh:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

scream into the void at the 4chan created image

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I mean if it turns out the missing Mega Stones will be available in the bank update, that will throw a wrench into everything.

you're still the one who shared it you dumb poo poo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What's a good build for Decidueye?

I like how he can kind of be a mixed attacker, but I'm looking at Spirit Shackle + U-Turn as a pretty sweet combo which would make me want to maximize speed + HP.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

What's a good build for Decidueye?

I like how he can kind of be a mixed attacker, but I'm looking at Spirit Shackle + U-Turn as a pretty sweet combo which would make me want to maximize speed + HP.

The best builds I've seen are mostly Defog support or Spirit Shackle/Toxic/Roost stall, and that gets messed up by basically every other stall mon.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The best build is Spirit Shackle/Roost/Swords Dance/Baton Pass and it make people very angry at you.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

The best build is Spirit Shackle/Roost/Swords Dance/Baton Pass and it make people very angry at you.

this

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you know who's underused? scizor.

maybe they should just have a metagame where tapus are banned forever.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I have no idea how any of the official tournaments decide this stuff, but it seems like it would be trivially easy to just declare a blanket 'No Legendarys/UBs' policy. You can't really fix the issue of everyone gravitating towards the strongest stuff, because that's always going to be the case when you hold competitions in a game as fundamentally unbalanced as Pokemon. However, if you limit it to stuff that's actually breedable then you don't force people to refight the Tapus a million times to get the right Nature/IVs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not all legendaries are good

who's crying out for articuno's ban

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I really like the defend your title gimmick, it's a great change of pace from the last games I played where it was 'what, you're Champion, yeah, go catch Mewtwo or fight Red or something'.

Thinking about going to pick up a used copy of SoulSilver, just to have some nostalgia, but a bit concerned old school Pokemon won't live up to Sun or Moon, it's so good.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Only recently started playing Sun but I have to say that I have a new best friend forever. His name is Golisopod and he is strong and smart and great

Guzma account spotted.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Golisopod is a beautiful bug samurai friend

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A patch for Sun and Moon came out, and there's no bank update yet. It's just bug fixes. It fixes the glitches with Z-Parting Shot and Z-Memento. Also fixes an edge case where Rocky Helmet causes wins when it shouldn't. But it finally fixes the bug where a Pokemon wouldn't learn Confusion upon evolving, so Kadabra no longer has to wait 5 more levels to be able to attack.

Rangpur posted:

I have no idea how any of the official tournaments decide this stuff, but it seems like it would be trivially easy to just declare a blanket 'No Legendarys/UBs' policy. You can't really fix the issue of everyone gravitating towards the strongest stuff, because that's always going to be the case when you hold competitions in a game as fundamentally unbalanced as Pokemon. However, if you limit it to stuff that's actually breedable then you don't force people to refight the Tapus a million times to get the right Nature/IVs.

The rules are decided at the beginning of the season and that's it. There usually aren't too many rule changes with the format itself, though once bank comes up, certain egg moves and Kanto forms will be legal. (Expect to see lots of Kanto Dugtrio.)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Manatee Cannon posted:

who's crying out to use articuno

ban all legendaries, if not, at least the genies.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I guess the lovely legendaries will have to be collateral damage. Conicidentally, 'Collateral Damage' is what I named the Lickylicky I taught Explosion back in Gen IV.

Still looking for dogs to trade (basically just Lillpup and Snubble until the bank opens at this point though) for my Jolly Growlithes w. Morning Sun/Close Combat. Give a holler in the thread or PMs if you want one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

who's crying out to use articuno

ban all legendaries, if not, at least the genies.

The genies aren't actually the scariest thing and can just get murdered by a lot of poo poo especially since gen 6.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
yeah but I hate the genies; they ugly.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

A patch for Sun and Moon came out, and there's no bank update yet. It's just bug fixes. It fixes the glitches with Z-Parting Shot and Z-Memento. Also fixes an edge case where Rocky Helmet causes wins when it shouldn't. But it finally fixes the bug where a Pokemon wouldn't learn Confusion upon evolving, so Kadabra no longer has to wait 5 more levels to be able to attack.

Added to this, the Shell Smash Kommo-O in the Battle Tree was edited to not have said move anymore.

Also a Hawlucha was replaced by Mega Pidgeot. Why? ... I guess someone on Game Freak's staff prefers not-penguin over a wrestling hawk.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I managed to beat battle tree singles and get really far in super singles. The team was

Tapu Koko
Celesteela
Mimikyu

But the first 2 covered almost everything, they cover each other's weaknesses really well.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 11, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think if they unbanned double team, things would balance themselves out,

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Marowak's time has come. All hail the new guard

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

giovani looks kinda like a vampire in that 4th panel with guzma

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
alolan persian is amazing

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rangpur posted:

I have no idea how any of the official tournaments decide this stuff, but it seems like it would be trivially easy to just declare a blanket 'No Legendarys/UBs' policy.

"Let's ban a third of the new characters from our new video game from our video game competition" does not make a whole lot of marketing sense.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
they're not characters, they're trophies.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Manatee Cannon posted:

Game Freak aren't ever going to impose a battle format that allows (say) Articuno but not Zapdos, or that allows the legendary birds but not the musketeers*, because to acknowledge that pokemon that are thematically equals are actually different in usability is not in line with the way they want to present battling.

* aside from region-based formats. What I'm saying is they might make that rule for other reasons, but they won't make a distinction like that based on strength/usability.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Hey thread, if you still care about legends on XY/ORAS, I've got two Genesect codes I'm doing gently caress and all with. PM me or ask in thread, first come first served.

ETA: US.

ETA2: Both gone!

Nethilia fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 11, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I managed to beat battle tree singles and get really far in super singles. The team was

Tapu Koko
Celesteela
Mimikyu

But the first 2 covered almost everything, they cover each other's weaknesses really well.

Just to expand on this since a lot of people were having Battle Tree trouble and the first 2 are guaranteed catches and you don't need to mess with breeding or BP items. For EV Training I used Poke Pelago, just dump the guys there for a couple of days, not time consuming at all unless you want it now.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Nature: +Spd - Sp Atk
Max Atk/Speed EVs

-Wild Charge
-Brave Bird
-Taunt
-U-Turn

Always lead with him. Z-Wild Charge is running off his higher Attack stat, personally I only used physical because I got one with -Sp Atk. I think his special set is PROBABLY better otherwise, this guy frequently kills himself with recoil. Z-Wild Charge is really useful because it's both very strong and made sure he wouldn't kill himself with recoil :v: Taunt is't that useful against the AI honestly you just wanna kill them quick

Celesteela @ Leftovers (You can get them from wild Munchlax 100% rate don't buy one)
+ Special Defense - Speed
Max HP/ Sp. Def EVs

-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Heavy Slam
-Fire Blast

Tapu Koko is weak to earth and poison. Celesteela is immune to earth and poison. Koko is fast enough that with U-Turn you can usually hit an enemy and switch to Celesteela. Personally I went for Sp. Def but I'm sure you can go either way. Heavy Slam does good damage even with no attack boost, 99% of the time you can leech seed and protect an enemy to death but it's pretty boring. Helps a LOT on those guys that were usually run enders for me though. Many of my battle tree wins were because of the way these 2 pokemon played off one another to deal with very different threats

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
poo poo nature + Evs, was using him in the story

Play Rough
Shadow Claw
Leech Life
Swords Dance

Really useful when I had to use him. The one free hit before you take damage meant you either Swords Dance for free, or finish up something like a Dragon Danced pokemon that was about to otherwise wipe your team. Z-Play Rough was useful both for when you couldn't rely on that 90% accuracy or if you had to kill something right now with that one free hit you get. Safety wise I stuck to the first 2 most of the time

Right now I'm at a 20 win streak in Super Singles with this team. EV Training is easy, you literally just leave the game in sleep mode, and I only did it for the first 2. I'm using the Z stones you get for free and leftovers I got off a wild munchlax.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Nethilia posted:

Hey thread, if you still care about legends on XY/ORAS, I've got two Genesect codes I'm doing gently caress and all with. PM me or ask in thread, first come first served.

You should probably specify your region, as codes are region locked. I'd be interested but I'm assuming they're not Japanese.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ITS YA BOY GOLISOPOD

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Everybody knows that bug type is the best type yo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
is klefki still good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

is klefki still good

Not as good with the prankster nerf.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So a patch came out, but I can't figure out how to make my 3ds actually get it. What do I do to make this happen?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Exit your game, and then you'll be prompted to update when you start it up again.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

tyblazitar posted:

You should probably specify your region, as codes are region locked. I'd be interested but I'm assuming they're not Japanese.

US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I dunno why that didn't work last night but it works now so hooray?