Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it really a common thing in Korea that workers won't get their paychecks some weeks? Do they at least get, like, a double check later, or are they just shorted that money and have to suck it up?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yo that panda can get hosed.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

This has happened to me at least five times and I've gotten double-takes where they figured it out themselves. No, Mom, we didn't invite you to dinner at a strip joint. Nor does my sister manage exotic dancers.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

WickedHate posted:

Pop Team Epic

:same:

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 11, 2017

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Calimero please apologize to those Street Fighter 3 boys. They did no wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Good Listener posted:

Calimero please apologize to those Street Fighter 3 boys. They did no wrong.

Haha I didn't even notice that it was Yun and Yang

e: and she's using some of Yun's normals/specials

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

In case you were wondering, this is not an edit.

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I could have sworn the Spirit's assistant was black.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

WickedHate posted:

I could have sworn the Spirit's assistant was black.

Sammy's actually the character who replaced Ebony White because, as I'm sure you're aware, he sort of made Out Our Way's depiction of black people look progressive and nuanced.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So instead of making the black character less racist they just replaced him with a white guy. Great.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Android Blues posted:

I'm sort of starting to ship the Spirit and Dick Tracy. They get along so well!
Cutest couple in the comics atm. Imagine that baby's chin!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Who would leave this out‽ Good job, "Doctor."

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs (February, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (April, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Tweedy (October, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

It's happening?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

So instead of making the black character less racist they just replaced him with a white guy. Great.
Well, yes, it was still the 1940s.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

Sammy's actually the character who replaced Ebony White because, as I'm sure you're aware, he sort of made Out Our Way's depiction of black people look progressive and nuanced.

Honestly, aside from the unfortunate art style (which is bad but typical when it was drawn), Out Our Way was pretty progressive for its time.

The cowboys theme in particular has a evenhanded portrayal of Big Ick compared with the other cowboys - half of them are illiterate, they all play the buffon at times, and all of them (except Wes) are written with heavy dialect.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

SomeMathGuy posted:

WickedHate posted:

Not sure why the Dick Tracy crew just didn't use the modern, Darwyn Cooke verion of Ebony where he's just a young black kid, other than just being really committed to this '40s thing:

But the Darwyn Cooke Spirit books are really good, you should read them.

Speaking of black kids who love horror stories, here's Curtis, not really understanding how "yo momma" jokes work, or cyber-bullying, or basically anything:

ha ha bray ha bray bray ha ha

Baldo

Big Nate is apparently really committing to this "intern" thing.

Wizard of Id got a chuckle out of me:

And still now Wallace. Is he on a M-W-F update schedule?

Vargo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 11, 2017

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (September, 1940)

I'm really into Mopsy's evil queen look, here. I hope she destroyed that guy.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (October 31-November 2, 1929)

Peanuts (January 13, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 24-25, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 30, 1930)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set gets some fresh air.

Working Daze is dated.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reveals two harsh realities.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Brown Derby isn't there anymore Funky Winkerbean god get your poo poo together.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Option #2: Add a bookmark with this as the URL/URI, click it to run the above javascript on whatever page you're on:
code:
javascript:( function() { $(".item-comic-link-disabled").removeClass("item-comic-link-disabled"); } )();

This did the trick for me. You are a prince!

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

The Brown Derby isn't there anymore Funky Winkerbean god get your poo poo together.

It's at Disney World now, but it's not actually shaped like that

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

There are none left in Los Angeles but there are a few in Ohio and is one in Florida. So they would have to be in Florida? But filming is going on in Los Angeles.

You know where he should have had them walk by fondly? One of the old-school Jewish delis. They've been around since before Hollywood and if anything will outlive Hollywood they will. Because the food is delicious.

Edit:
Let's go with Canter's. It's still open. And the sign and the location screams "Los Angeles" more than any restaurant that's been closed since the 1970's.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 11, 2017

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Phimosissy posted:

It's at Disney World now, but it's not actually shaped like that

That's a loving shame.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

So I don't know jack about either of these characters. Why would I care about their tender moments?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Neither of them are wearing tops.

RandomPauI posted:

You know where he should have had them walk by fondly? One of the old-school Jewish delis. They've been around since before Hollywood and if anything will outlive Hollywood they will. Because the food is delicious.

Let's go with Canter's. It's still open. And the sign and the location screams "Los Angeles" more than any restaurant that's been closed since the 1970's.

Canter's is terrible. Objectively terrible.

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 11, 2017

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Canter's is terrible. Objectively terrible.

My memories of it are admittedly colored by a couple of great times eating there with acquaintances after catching shows at Largo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomPauI posted:

There are none left in Los Angeles but there are a few in Ohio and is one in Florida. So they would have to be in Florida? But filming is going on in Los Angeles.
Tom Batiuk lives in Ohio, doesn't he? He's probably been to one there and seen something about what the original one looked like and where it was and assumed it's still there.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
You can't make it sound like Spock by just inserting the word "logical" into random places in the dialogue! It's not even like writing Spock-like dialogue is hard! Here, how about this: "Tucking you in would serve no logical purpose, captain." That's at least 100 times better. Who do I apply to to get Reddick's job?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse
For a start, Aries currently consists of five stars, not four. It has contained more stars than that in the past as stars, rather than being fixed pin-pricks in the sphere of the sky through which we can see God, are burning nuclear arsenals whirling about an expanding universe with no regard for artistic licenses. Aries was also originally the Field Worker, and probably shifted into a ram due to changes in agrarian practices or as the constellation moved to cultures with more of a focus on husbandry. To boot, traditionally the ram is depicted as being seated to accommodate for there being no 'limb stars'.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phantom's rarely good these days, but when it is, it sure delivers. :allears:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Julet Esqu posted:

This did the trick for me. You are a prince!
I'm glad it helped you and other comics posters, since I've been following this thread since before I registered and I've been relying on the comics posters the whole time :toot:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

As much poo poo as I gave the whole World of Stamps storyline, when the Phantom's on fire, he's on fire.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ghostlight posted:

For a start, Aries currently consists of five stars, not four. It has contained more stars than that in the past as stars, rather than being fixed pin-pricks in the sphere of the sky through which we can see God, are burning nuclear arsenals whirling about an expanding universe with no regard for artistic licenses. Aries was also originally the Field Worker, and probably shifted into a ram due to changes in agrarian practices or as the constellation moved to cultures with more of a focus on husbandry. To boot, traditionally the ram is depicted as being seated to accommodate for there being no 'limb stars'.

On the other hand, constellations don't actually look like anything. Show someone an unfamiliar constellation and ask them what they think it is and they're never going to guess it in a million years. I mean, even with the lines drawn on:

That's a bull? In what universe?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I mean, it's clearly a horned animal of some kind. It's situated right next to a guy with a bow and arrow, too.

But part of my point is that criticising constellations for not looking exactly like the things they're named after is kind of stupid 3,000 years after the stars they were made from were assigned symbols that, as far as we know, could be have been given due to anything from the cultural symbolism the time of year those stars were used to identify and designate to simply some ancient nerds star-gazing and imaging something wholecloth with no context like a child would with clouds. The only reason they have names is just to shorten "hey, when the sun rises in the area between that group of stars there and the star really far below it, and the slightly stronger stars to the left of it but still inside the bright star to the left of the bright star above the whole group, then it's spring"

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

This is amazing.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is dated.

I hope she hates all the stuff her father will make her watch. AND she tells it to his face.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Do we know Mike's job? Maybe he lives with his mom because he can't afford to live on his own.

bean_shadow fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

bean_shadow posted:

Do we know Mike's job? Maybe he lives with his mom because he can't afford to live on his own.

http://intelligentlifecomics.com/about/ posted:

Mike is highly intelligent and wonderfully imaginative. He has a great job as a software engineer, makes really good money, but still lives with his mom – in his mind, it’s completely illogical to pay rent or a mortgage, or even cook your own meals when your mom is delighted to continue doting on you.

I think there has been all of one (1) strip depicting Mike at work, obviously not doing any work.

• Locked thread