Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So, Section 31, but not in space, and without those pesky moral dilemmas.

Yeah, it really is "Section 31 if they were the good guys and super awesome!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know if they changed it away from "Islamic terrorists" out of tastefulness in the wake of 9/11, or if anti-Muslim sentiment just hadn't ramped up that hard yet

Oh, it ramped up basically immediately. I suspect it was a good-taste change.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

neongrey posted:

Oh, it ramped up basically immediately. I suspect it was a good-taste change.
I might be getting the timeline mixed up, but I think Hollywood then was collectively reacting to the blowback from Rules of Engagement, which was maybe the most nakedly anti-Arab/Muslim mainstream movie ever made (the one where Samuel L Jackson has his platoon gun down a crowd of Yemeni women and children while screaming :byodood:WASTE THE MOTHERFUCKERS, but it's revealed they were all terrorists so he was completely justified!), so that might explain it. The release dates were close enough that the Clancy adaptation might already have been in production though, so then again maybe not.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Apraxin posted:

I might be getting the timeline mixed up, but I think Hollywood then was collectively reacting to the blowback from Rules of Engagement, which was maybe the most nakedly anti-Arab/Muslim mainstream movie ever made (the one where Samuel L Jackson has his platoon gun down a crowd of Yemeni women and children while screaming :byodood:WASTE THE MOTHERFUCKERS, but it's revealed they were all terrorists so he was completely justified!), so that might explain it. The release dates were close enough that the Clancy adaptation might already have been in production though, so then again maybe not.

Fun fact about this film: the story was written by 2016 presidential candidate Jim Webb.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The latest episode of I Don't Even Own a Television reviewed some godawful piece of poo poo Five Nights at Freddy's novel...

...written (ghostwritten?) by a girl I had a huge crush on in high school.

I don't know how I feel about this. Um, I guess it sold well, so that's good! Ironically, she was exactly the sort of person who might say she doesn't own a TV, and mean it.

Was that your letter at the end of the Gor episode? If so, what constitutes a teen activist drama group?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:yum:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If this book had ninjas it would have everything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

grittyreboot posted:

Was that your letter at the end of the Gor episode? If so, what constitutes a teen activist drama group?

Oh, it must be. I haven't listened yet. Yikes! Well, we had a weekly public access show about issues affecting teens and we did plays about domestic violence and stuff. It was pretty cool.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
That's much nicer than every other possible meaning I imagined for that combination of words.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

neongrey posted:

That's much nicer than every other possible meaning I imagined for that combination of words.

It sounds a bit tumblr-y, but it was actually kind of a cool thing for teenagers who wanted to work in media. Legit run by a crazy person who ran in the same patchouli-scented circles as my parents, but he was certainly not a bad guy.

btw I feel really bad about slagging off Carrie Fisher's last book now :smith:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Its even worse than you can imagine.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What is an vangel

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What is an vangel

A vampire angel. Or Viking angel.

Duh. :rolleye:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Yes but which one???????

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Given Luci-pires, I'm gonna guess vampire angel. This one just happens to be a Viking. Who fights ISIS. And is a foodie.

I think this lady just did a mad libs with all her sexual fantasies and made it a book series.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Yes but which one???????

Which one turns you on more?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh, it must be. I haven't listened yet. Yikes! Well, we had a weekly public access show about issues affecting teens and we did plays about domestic violence and stuff. It was pretty cool.

I just want to know if it was your real name they censored or if they censored it because they thought "Fleta" was such a unique name that it would instantly identify you.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Leavemywife posted:

Which one turns you on more?

... an angel who's also a van

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I just want to know if it was your real name they censored or if they censored it because they thought "Fleta" was such a unique name that it would instantly identify you.

I always wondered that too, what name did you put Ion your letter?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Now paging Chris Collision, Chris Collision please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I think this lady just did a mad libs with all her sexual fantasies and made it a book series.

In the one book of hers I read, the protagonist female was a psychologist. It had absolutely nothing to do with the story, but I thought it was such a weird thing to throw in there. Yes, let's pick a profession that goes along well with a time-traveling viking. Because all psychologists hear someone say they're from the 10th century, and think "well, he's good dating material!"

I want to know the poor underling who had to write that blurb with a straight face.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I have read more Sandra Hill books than I like to admit, and they are all the same flavor of crazy. The heroine is often a doctor or similar professional. In one book, the time-traveling Navy Seal Viking 'amusingly' misunderstood the love interest's title and called her his "dock-whore" throughout the ENTIRE book. She never corrected him and no one found it odd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

... an angel who's also a van

You are Miranda Leek and I claim my five pounds.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Guys it's clearly a 100 foot tall Japanese robot that wrote the score for Chariots of Fire

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat, beat me to it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Domus posted:

In the one book of hers I read, the protagonist female was a psychologist. It had absolutely nothing to do with the story, but I thought it was such a weird thing to throw in there. Yes, let's pick a profession that goes along well with a time-traveling viking. Because all psychologists hear someone say they're from the 10th century, and think "well, he's good dating material!"

I want to know the poor underling who had to write that blurb with a straight face.

I bought this one as a gag gift for my boyfriend (it was a buck at Half-Price, whaddayawant?) and he told me it wasn't even funny-bad, just kind of icky/boring bad. That was sort of a disappointment.

Also disappointing: writing a romance about a time-traveling Viking who's committed to a psychiatric hospital (because he's claiming to be a 10th-century Viking in modern Los Angeles or wherever) and not naming it "One Flew Over The Viking's Nest."

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Antivehicular posted:

I bought this one as a gag gift for my boyfriend (it was a buck at Half-Price, whaddayawant?) and he told me it wasn't even funny-bad, just kind of icky/boring bad. That was sort of a disappointment.

Also disappointing: writing a romance about a time-traveling Viking who's committed to a psychiatric hospital (because he's claiming to be a 10th-century Viking in modern Los Angeles or wherever) and not naming it "One Flew Over The Viking's Nest."

I have to ask, does the Viking magically speak English or does he happen to run into some attractive professor who just happens to understand spoken Old Norse?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Domus posted:

The blurb only covers the first 50 pages or so.

It opens with the mom calls the chef to say "Your sister has joined ISIS." Sister hires the vampire-Viking-van-angel as a private investigator but then insists on coming with him to the ranch while he fetches her sister. They arrive, demon-vampire things attack, and the dude randomly teleports them to the 10th century.

The next 90% of the book is in the 10th century. The Viking is conveniently recognized as the lord of the castle they teleported to, despite being gone for years and having lost hundreds of pounds in the interim. Chef lady is shoved in the kitchen where she teaches Vikings that bread exists despite them already knowing that. There is a Twilight-esque theme where every 2-5 pages one of the pair mentions that the other smells like peppermint and coconut. Literally every couple pages. There's some love triangle with his ex-fiancee that goes nowhere, and the section in the 10th century culminates with him walking in on the chef sleeping, stripping naked, and jerking off on her while she sleeps because she's just too pretty. They teleport back to modern day to find out that the sister had already left the ranch and was never in danger, and the Viking has 6 brothers that will help take out the cult. The Viking goes on a rant on how Political Correctness is how ISIS can recruit in America, he marries the chef, and the book ends.

Oh, and there's Nazis running around doing poo poo, too.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Konstantin posted:

I have to ask, does the Viking magically speak English or does he happen to run into some attractive professor who just happens to understand spoken Old Norse?

I thiiink the former, although at some point there's a historian called in to verify his stories/maybe follow his directions to a lost shipwreck or something/otherwise demonstrate he actually is a time-traveling Viking and not a delusional guy so the banging can begin? I didn't actually read this myself, although I guess I could fall on the sword for the thread if I had to.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dienes posted:

It opens with the mom calls the chef to say "Your sister has joined ISIS." Sister hires the vampire-Viking-van-angel as a private investigator but then insists on coming with him to the ranch while he fetches her sister. They arrive, demon-vampire things attack, and the dude randomly teleports them to the 10th century.

The next 90% of the book is in the 10th century. The Viking is conveniently recognized as the lord of the castle they teleported to, despite being gone for years and having lost hundreds of pounds in the interim. Chef lady is shoved in the kitchen where she teaches Vikings that bread exists despite them already knowing that. There is a Twilight-esque theme where every 2-5 pages one of the pair mentions that the other smells like peppermint and coconut. Literally every couple pages. There's some love triangle with his ex-fiancee that goes nowhere, and the section in the 10th century culminates with him walking in on the chef sleeping, stripping naked, and jerking off on her while she sleeps because she's just too pretty. They teleport back to modern day to find out that the sister had already left the ranch and was never in danger, and the Viking has 6 brothers that will help take out the cult. The Viking goes on a rant on how Political Correctness is how ISIS can recruit in America, he marries the chef, and the book ends.

10th century Nazis or in the part of the book she doesn't really write about?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Glazier posted:

Now paging Chris Collision, Chris Collision please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Already posted to the Facebook page.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I always wondered that too, what name did you put Ion your letter?

Tiggum posted:

I just wrote "fakefirstname fakelastname."

e: yay they were nice to me!

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jan 11, 2017

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

flosofl posted:

10th century Nazis or in the part of the book she doesn't really write about?

Modern Nazis that have casual chats with Satan.

10th century Nazis? Now that would just be silly!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dienes posted:

John Ringo is writing romance novels under a pseudonym now?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

C.M. Kruger posted:

John Ringo is writing romance novels under a pseudonym now?

Not enough teen prostitutes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

there wolf posted:

Not enough teen prostitutes.

Plus I would think the Nazis would just be tragically misunderstood allies of Viking-Vampire-Angel Gordon Ramsey.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Oh, she hires the vampire-viking-demon-shamwow guy. Because that's a category you see all the time on craigslist.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

flosofl posted:

Plus I would think the Nazis would just be tragically misunderstood allies of Viking-Vampire-Angel Gordon Ramsey.

If your immortal Viking lover with magic powers didn't at least have some kind of HYDRA-like cult within the Nazi commend structure, I'd seriously think about dumping him for lack of ambition.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
This thread made me track down Ready Player One and Armada just to see them for myself.

The thing is, I'm a nerd. I like nerdy references as much as anyone. But these books aren't, to use a food metaphor, a finely crafted cake. They're not even a bag of franchised cookies you could buy in a supermarket. It's so drat ram-it-down-your-throat clunky that it's basically like ripping the top off a bag of sugar and pouring it directly into your mouth.

Really, is it that hard to create quiet fanservice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did you watch Rogue One? That's like the go to method of nerd references nowadays and always, subtlety be damned