Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

krursk posted:

I've just done my inventory of arcade boards to discover that my CPS2 motherboard has finally given up the ghost (it was damaged by the previous operator and didn't do sound properly). I was going to replace it and give marvel superheroes some love but I see that CPS2 games and motherboards have gone right up in price lately. After some quick research I find out that since September last year you can easily de-suicide CPS2 boards yourself without a Phoenix hackjob. Great for those stacks of old games with dead batteries but not so much for diligent battery replacing people like me. I should have replaced that motherboard when I had the far cheaper chance in 2015.

At least my Mortal Kombat 2 still works awesomely. I really got to get a dedicated cabinet for that one.

Games that have never been desuicided and only had the battery replaced are worth more to collector types because they're completely pure or some insane thing so it actually is good for you if you advertise that prominently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

fastbilly1 posted:

I always thought it looked more like a IBM PS/2 Model 25. The tower with the vertical CD drive is what I always wanted or the FM Towns II laptop that also ran Win3.1. But I had a Marty for a bit and that scratched the itch.

I looked at a Marty, but the games I'm interested in don't seem to be the ones people check for compatibility. Plus something's attractive to me about not needing to find a screen.

Emulation seems to work well enough, especially if the PowerISO fishmech namedropped works out. I'm usually a orig. hardware guy, but jesus gently caress I already have too much hardware.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

From me trying like 30 iso mounting programs, including poweriso, a couple of months ago for SSF and finding that just burning the drat iso worked better.

Isn't that just because SSF is really weird in the way it tries to read the CDs, and the developer refuses to make their own disc image reader support?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Social Dissonance posted:

Any advice on a product for a RGB snes to BNC adapter? I see a bunch listed on eBay, and don't know if I'll need a sync stripper. I ordered a Sony PVM-20M2MDU because gently caress money.

PM this dude, I use it with the same exact PVM and it's great http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43883

No sync stripper needed

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Any advice on a product for a RGB snes to BNC adapter? I see a bunch listed on eBay, and don't know if I'll need a sync stripper. I ordered a Sony PVM-20M2MDU because gently caress money.

Any particular reason you want a SNES to BNC cable instead of SCART to BNC? SCART to BNC + SNES to SCART is more expensive but way cheaper if you have a few consoles you want to use on the PVM.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been wrestling with myself this whole day whether or not to order a PEXHDCAP capture card and a sync strike. Been wanting to start live streaming for a while with my glorious RGB consoles but I'm just kinda wary, since I'm not the most tech savvy person and what if they just don't work.

(my setup will be Console -> scart switchbox -> scart 2-way splitter (1 end to PVM for me, 1 end to sync strike) -> sync strike -> VGA cable to capture card and audio from sync strike to my soundcard)

which I _think_ should work on paper.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

TeaJay posted:

I've been wrestling with myself this whole day whether or not to order a PEXHDCAP capture card and a sync strike. Been wanting to start live streaming for a while with my glorious RGB consoles but I'm just kinda wary, since I'm not the most tech savvy person and what if they just don't work.

(my setup will be Console -> scart switchbox -> scart 2-way splitter (1 end to PVM for me, 1 end to sync strike) -> sync strike -> VGA cable to capture card and audio from sync strike to my soundcard)

which I _think_ should work on paper.

That sounds like it'll work if the card supports 15khz VGA which not everything does. It's not "pure RGB" but you could use a component transcoder running to the component in on the card.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

That sounds like it'll work if the card supports 15khz VGA which not everything does. It's not "pure RGB" but you could use a component transcoder running to the component in on the card.

I would think it does, since many have recommended this card for that kind of setup?

Sync strike should convert RGB to VGA which the card takes in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the go-to SCART to HDMI box for getting my SFC to an HDTV? There seem to be a lot of options and I honestly don't know how to qualify what's good and what's not.

Bonus points if it's not super expensive so I can buy two and take my spare SFC to the office.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Martytoof posted:

What's the go-to SCART to HDMI box for getting my SFC to an HDTV? There seem to be a lot of options and I honestly don't know how to qualify what's good and what's not.

Bonus points if it's not super expensive so I can buy two and take my spare SFC to the office.

There really isn't one, outside of the XRGB Framemeister (which is :retrogames: priced). The cheap ones ($30 to $50) on Amazon might be OK, but since they upscale each frame before sending it to a display, you also risk image quality issues and the introduction of input lag with them, if they're not able to sufficiently keep up with what's happening inside the console.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do we all do for SNES -> HDTV then? :(

Or are we all buying CRTs? I'm not ready to make that jump :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Martytoof posted:

You can always just try hooking it up directly by s-video, no special convertors or anything. It's really not bad on a lot of sets! Of course on others it will oook absolutely dreadful, but you don't really know until you try.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Martytoof posted:

This cheapo Amazon one is probably fine.

all upscalers, including the framemeister, have input lag because they have to upscale the image. With that said, you really only need a CRT if you want to play light gun games, shmups or anything else that needs frame perfect timing like punch out.

fishmech posted:

You can always just try hooking it up directly by s-video, no special convertors or anything. It's really not bad on a lot of sets! Of course on others it will oook absolutely dreadful, but you don't really know until you try.

Except that most modern TV's have dropped the S-Video connector for their sole AV input port these days..

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Martytoof posted:

The XRGB Mini or Framemeister, if you're really serious about trying to play your retrogames on a newer LCD HDTV. This is because it's kind of purpose-built and designed to be quick at upscaling old 240p signals and the like, but because it is a niche product with a comparatively low volume (so far as I know), it has an inversely commensurate price. The OSSC might be viable, too, but it seems kind of hazy as to its availability and its not necessarily cheap, either.

SCART-to-HDMI stuff seems to be a on major curve. You have the low-end units on Amazon, then a jump to the OSSC, and then a major upswing to the XRGB range.

That said, maybe check out these videos and see how you feel about the cheap units they show:

(skip to 6:30 if you want to see the cheaper unit's performance):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHoOKLWIMKU

A few games tested with an SD2SNES:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX9ejUD853Q

A recent review of one from the same guy above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMN3tFt-zK4

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

This chick's ebay store, she'll make anything you need if she doesn't have it listed.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

I emailed asking for a Genesis 2 RGB cable with BNC connectors, a day later one appeared in her store and she emailed me a link to it.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I have that one and it's alright, there's some combing when the screen scrolls quickly, and the lag is noticeable but not awful.

Another option is a SCART to component transcoder or HD Retrovision component cables which might be less laggy and upscale better but also might just not work depending on your TV.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Another option is a SCART to component transcoder or HD Retrovision component cables which might be less laggy and upscale better but also might just not work depending on your TV.

Supposedly they're working on a new revision of those cables that improves compatibility and sync issues. No free replacement for me though - the problems with being an early adopter. :v:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

falz posted:

This chick's ebay store, she'll make anything you need if she doesn't have it listed.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

I emailed asking for a Genesis 2 RGB cable with BNC connectors, a day later one appeared in her store and she emailed me a link to it.

Eh, I'll echo d0s' suggestion above of a general SCART-to-BNC adapter rather than a custom SNES cable. BNC switches aren't any more readily available than SCART, and BCN connectors are way more annoying to change out compared to plugging in and unplugging SCART heads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok thanks guys. I am going to go ahead and pick up a generic unit just because I don't really have the budget this month to throw at a proper upscaler, and if I do decide to invest in something good down the road I won't have spent a ton of money anyway.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Ok thanks guys. I am going to go ahead and pick up a generic unit just because I don't really have the budget this month to throw at a proper upscaler, and if I do decide to invest in something good down the road I won't have spent a ton of money anyway.

Have you read some of the amazon reviews? A lot of them mention the upscaler not working or not working very long.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't buy that specific one because it doesn't ship to Canada, but I did read through some other reviews echoing what you pointed out, and yeah I see that they're pretty hit or miss. Gotta roll the dice every now and then I suppose.

I'm willing to take a chance since I'm not really looking to drop the money that a framemeister is going for.

Wish me luck, I guess? :haw:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm hoping my Framemeister ships soon, Solaris had it pegged for a January delivery, so we'll see.

Also holy poo poo someone actually paid $950 for one a few days ago on Ebay

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

shyduck posted:

I'm hoping my Framemeister ships soon, Solaris had it pegged for a January delivery, so we'll see.

Also holy poo poo someone actually paid $950 for one a few days ago on Ebay

How can someone have that much disposible income, and be willing to spend it on a Framemeister, and only now decide that you want a Framemeister. I have one and it keeps getting harder to continue to own it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want to buy HD Retrovision, but it's sold out.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I want to buy HD Retrovision, but it's sold out.

Is there any real benefit to HD Retrovision over a scart to component transcoder? The current versions don't seem to do anything a transcoder doesn't. Though if they can even out the SNES sync signal in the next version I can see the advantage in that.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Is there any real benefit to HD Retrovision over a scart to component transcoder?

No and personally it makes zero sense to me to not spend a little more and get something way more versatile, particularly when there are a bunch of good transcoders on the market (just avoid the cheapo $50 ebay one). Here's one that I understand is pretty great:

http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They are great if you are playing on a crt with component but if you got a pvm or coverter, it probably better to get the rgb cables instead.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It's a New Age Retro Christmas Part the Second to Last: May Not Actually Grant Wishes

It's Zoop I guess. :geno:

This was a completely playable puzzle game, right? I know I rented it once and don't remember having an unfavorable opinion of it. Which isn't the same thing as being good, but...

Ka-rip

Pretty much what you'd expect at this point. That manual is super thin, so it must be really simple and easy to get into.

And on trying it, it is. You control a cursor on a grid of 16 squares. Your goal is to eliminate the colored shapes that are marching towards your the grid. Face the cursor in a direction and press one of the X, Y, B or A buttons to fire. Your cursor can only remove pieces of the same color. So if its red, only red shapes will be destroyed. If you hit a differently colored shape, the cursor takes on that color. So if the cursor is red and you fire it at a line of 4 red shapes, boom, they're all destroyed. Fire it at a line of one red shape with a blue shape underneath it, the cursor will destroy the red shape, send its widow a corsage, and then turn blue as it hits the blue shape. There are various power ups that will destroy an entire line regardless of color, or bomb a small patch of shapes or eliminate an entire color from one side of the screen.

But overall, it's simultaneously dull while being exhausting to look at. The design is incredibly minimalist, with usually a monochrome background covered in dots. At the same time, the screen gets really busy when shapes start piling up, and its hard to be effective at the game when there's so much on screen. I have the attention span of a potted plant though, so maybe it's just me. With so much going on it becomes impossible to form a coherent strategy pretty quickly. The cursor is also rather slippery and feels like it doesn't want to stop exactly where you want it to go. the action doesn't change much from level to level and it feels tedious pretty quickly. If there's one positive about this game it's that the soundtrack is pretty peppy. I wouldn't want to listen to it forever but I'm not likely to hear it for more than 5-10 minutes at a stretch.

Overall it's just aggressively mediocre. Not bad, just feels very low effort and dull.

Disappointment level: Middling.
Worth it? Eh. $4 of fun in a $13 fun tank when I had to go 120 fun miles. There are sports games I'd play before it.

Round 2! Aladdin on the NES?

It's the Aladdin Deck Enhancer* by Camerica!

*Warning: If deck remains enhanced for more than 4 hours please consult a physician.

A quick quote form Wikipedia is leaving me pessimistic.

quote:

Camerica never recovered from the release and shortly was forced to close down.

:stonklol:

The Aladdin was released for the NES in late 1992, right in the system's twilight and not really an ideal situation. Only seven games were ever released for it, some of which had already been (or eventually would be) released on more relatively normal but still unlicensed cartridges.

Deck enhancer and Dizzy mini-cart.

The manual is part of this poster.

Instructions.

I plug it in. It doesn't work. I re-situate the deck enhancer cartridge. It doesn't work. I take the ADE out of the NES, which is difficult to do with a mini-cart inside as there's nowhere to grip, but only slightly awkward without it. I re-sit the mini cartridge. It doesn't work. I try it in a different console. It doesn't work. I try everything I've previously tried on the second console including giving it a cleaning, which theoretically it shouldn't need. It doesn't work.

Checking the instructions and I poo poo you not, it actually says to just keep hitting the reset button until it works.

Without exaggeration, I tried this about 50-60 times across both consoles to get it to boot ONCE.

Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy turns out to be okay but I'm not so interested in it that I'm going through all of this again.

Disappointment level: high

Worth it?
At $30, no. There are a couple of sellers on Ebay who have tens of copies of this still NiB at about $30-$40 but all of the games on it are available on easier to use carts closer to the standard NES-style as far as I can tell. Bleah. :(

Tomorrow: Oh god you're worth almost all of these combined please be worth it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Oooh a package from Ukraine in my letterbox , whatever could it be???

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Is there any real benefit to HD Retrovision over a scart to component transcoder? The current versions don't seem to do anything a transcoder doesn't. Though if they can even out the SNES sync signal in the next version I can see the advantage in that.

I was thinking about a single cable solution for a person like me that doesn't want to have to go buy an SCART cable (or SCART modded SNES) in addition to a converter (which there are a ton of, and you don't ever know if you're getting a good one because even this thread is foggy on recommendations from more than one person) in addition to the converter's power supply, who just wants to play their goddamned SNES on a modern TV without it looking like poo poo?

I've had this thread bookmarked for about two years, now, and a lot of regular posters here get caught up in feature creep and collection building and getting the "best of the best," but forget about two tenents of products: ease-of-use (simplicity), and cost. And I understand that. It's the "retro gaming thread," which in the past 5-8 years, has become synonymous with the "expensive old gaming thread."

Or am I wrong on that count? What the gently caress do I need to play a SNES and my sweet, sweet Star Fox 2 cart on my HDTV without spending, like, $200? Preferably without hooking six things up in-between the actual console and the television. The HD Retrovision looked to fill out that niche nicely.

I don't want a thing I can plug other things into in case I move on to a Genesis or N64 or whatever. I want to make my UM3 SNES look "less poo poo" on a screen. That's it. Is the HD Retrovision really poo poo, as the replies I've gotten imply? Return to Dinosaur Land and Star Fox 2 await.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I'm starting to think that the only good thing about retro-gaming in Europe is SCART

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I was thinking about a single cable solution for a person like me that doesn't want to have to go buy an SCART cable (or SCART modded SNES) in addition to a converter (which there are a ton of, and you don't ever know if you're getting a good one because even this thread is foggy on recommendations from more than one person) in addition to the converter's power supply, who just wants to play their goddamned SNES on a modern TV without it looking like poo poo?

I've had this thread bookmarked for about two years, now, and a lot of regular posters here get caught up in feature creep and collection building and getting the "best of the best," but forget about two tenents of products: ease-of-use (simplicity), and cost. And I understand that. It's the "retro gaming thread," which in the past 5-8 years, has become synonymous with the "expensive old gaming thread."

Or am I wrong on that count? What the gently caress do I need to play a SNES and my sweet, sweet Star Fox 2 cart on my HDTV without spending, like, $200? Preferably without hooking six things up in-between the actual console and the television. The HD Retrovision looked to fill out that niche nicely.

I don't want a thing I can plug other things into in case I move on to a Genesis or N64 or whatever. I want to make my UM3 SNES look "less poo poo" on a screen. That's it. Is the HD Retrovision really poo poo, as the replies I've gotten imply? Return to Dinosaur Land and Star Fox 2 await.

1. Ease of use and cost? A CRT TV from Craigslist with component inputs and an HD Retrovision or a SCART RGB-to-component adapter and conso!e-appropriate cable. Which is what the Retrovision basically is, except it's made for a single console.

Otherwise, prepare for wallet aches, because most HDTVs have poo poo to no support for your old consoles besides poorly processed RF and composite inputs.

2. If you have a first model SNES, you don't need to mod anything. If you have a second model system, you will need to mod it regardless of the video solution you're considering. Blame Nintendo.

3. The issue with the Retrovision is that your HDTV might not support its lowres signals over its component input. You can maybe test it by plugging your system's composite video plug into the green input and seeing if you get a picture. If you don't, welp, blame your TV manufacturer for cutting corners.

4. Finally, realize that people recommend things like the Framemeister because getting old analog video hardware to play nicely with new digital video tech is not simple to do well. Color issues, input lag and so on aren't lies or trivial gripes; they exist due to the nature of analog-to-digital conversion, due to the need to scale frames to higher resolutions, and so on. Any delays in those processes (such as a cheap and weak scaler) can have bad effects on gameplay, especially in fast action games.

In short, people don't make recommendations like this out of snobbery. Old gaming hardware doesn't get much love or support in regards to matters like video, which leads to tradeoffs, compromises, or spending our the wazoo for niche items.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress do I need to play a SNES and my sweet, sweet Star Fox 2 cart on my HDTV without spending, like, $200? Preferably without hooking six things up in-between the actual console and the television. The HD Retrovision looked to fill out that niche nicely.

I don't know what you want to hear, but if you are using composite, there's no way to make your SNES input not look like poo poo on a modern TV. These recommendations are not done out of "gotta have expensive stuff" attitude, it's mostly because they're tested and found to be the best solution for the problem.

Those 5 $ converters are cheap for a reason. I guess people have got some results from those scart to component adapters, but can't comment on that since I'm on the euro side myself, nor have I used the retrovision cables.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 11, 2017

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Any particular reason you want a SNES to BNC cable instead of SCART to BNC? SCART to BNC + SNES to SCART is more expensive but way cheaper if you have a few consoles you want to use on the PVM.

I wrote it wrong. I'm getting the female scart to BNC adapter. Makes the most sense for when I get a switch and more consoles eventually.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

The irony is that the XRGB-Mini Framemeister is popular specifically because it actually does what you want it to do: upscale analog 240p to 1080p HDMI without sync problems or compatibility issues. Its basically the only product in its price class or lower that works reliably on pretty much any HD display. It has a bunch of extra settings and the ability to load optimized profiles for each console, but the main reason people buy it is that it just works. Pretty much every cheaper option has the possibility of just displaying a blank screen, depending on your TV's scaling and analog signal processing capability.

If you want to spend under $200 to improve your SNES' video quality, have it work 100% of the time, and avoid having to mess with settings or deal with additional adapters/scalers, I'd recommend just picking up a Sony Trinitron CRT off Craigslist. You can get the SNES Retrovision cables for the component ports or just use S-video, you will have zero display lag, and you can even play light-gun games on it.

(My old 27" Sony Trinitron via component video)

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 11, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, you can also just jam the yellow cable into your TV and play like that if you're not the pickiest person in the world and have a set that's decent at scaling. I just play my Genesis and SNES over composite on my HDTV and it does a Good Enough job for me.

You only really need the RGB stuff and upscalers or fancy CRTs when you're ready to get nice very sharp pixels from your games or if your TV is garbage at scaling.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Why did those idiots call them "HD retrovision" it's misleading as gently caress :(

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Also getting mad at the thread for not telling you what you want to hear is a bad look

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I wrote it wrong. I'm getting the female scart to BNC adapter. Makes the most sense for when I get a switch and more consoles eventually.

This is the one I use, it works great and I've never had any sync issues on any of my RGB compatible consoles. I did build a sync stripper into my N64 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Monitor Burn posted:

If you want to spend under $200 to improve your SNES' video quality, have it work 100% of the time, and avoid having to mess with settings or deal with additional adapters/scalers, I'd recommend just picking up a Sony Trinitron CRT off Craigslist. You can get the SNES Retrovision cables for the component ports or just use S-video, you will have zero display lag, and you can even play light-gun games on it.

Yeah I spent a lot of time and effort trying to figure out the best way to make my HDTV work well for retro without spending $400 but when I ran into an 8" PVM and got it just to try it out I was immediately sold on CRTs and started looking for a bigger one. It's just so much easier and the results are awesome. My 20M2MDU and all the accessories I needed came in way cheaper than a framemeister too.

• Locked thread