Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

remusclaw posted:

\
edit:You would think what with holodecks and near instant communication that the Federation would have a very good distance learning program.

Maybe that's part of the "weeding out" process. Not willing or able to travel a few hundred light years to take an in-person class? Maybe our space exploration agency is not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

After The War posted:

But then we wouldn't get extremely :3: stories like how babby Sisko transported home for dinner every night his first week.

Why would you even feel the need to live in San Francisco when you can just do this?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

No... uh... No thank you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, i'm gonna have to pass, too.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
No Leola root, no sale.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The transporter thing makes me wonder about things. Putting aside new Scotty and whatever he may have done with long distance transport, you would think that for the sake of quick travel there would transport relays all over the Fed to allow people to be wherever they are needed pretty much immediately. Extrapolating Trek tech would be an interesting world(universe) building exercise.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You better be able to just walk into the engine room of that ship and no one stops you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

remusclaw posted:

Extrapolating Trek tech would be an interesting world(universe) building exercise.

Everyone on Voyager should have just used the Scotty Transporter Buffer Trick while the ship autopilots itself in a beeline home.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

remusclaw posted:

The transporter thing makes me wonder about things. Putting aside new Scotty and whatever he may have done with long distance transport, you would think that for the sake of quick travel there would transport relays all over the Fed to allow people to be wherever they are needed pretty much immediately. Extrapolating Trek tech would be an interesting world(universe) building exercise.

This was one thing I liked about SG-1 and Atlantis - aside from travelling to another galaxy (mostly) and a few other circumstances, just dial up any stargate anywhere in the network, and you're there in one shot.

I feel like the Trek version would be huge chains of relays, but only between heavily travelled planets, otherwise it would get ridiculous quick.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Deathwing posted:

This was one thing I liked about SG-1 and Atlantis - aside from travelling to another galaxy (mostly) and a few other circumstances, just dial up any stargate anywhere in the network, and you're there in one shot.

I feel like the Trek version would be huge chains of relays, but only between heavily travelled planets, otherwise it would get ridiculous quick.

They wound up doing the relay thing in Stargate to try and get around not being able to gate to other galaxies on the regular. Stargates from uninhabited worlds were placed in a row in the space between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/McKay/Carter_Intergalactic_Gate_Bridge

:goonsay:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Why would anyone willingly strand themselves at sea with Trekkies? Not just any Trekkies either, Trekkies who go on cruises. :gonk:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would anyone willingly strand themselves at sea with Trekkies? Not just any Trekkies either, Trekkies who go on cruises. :gonk:

Picture it now, waves and waves and waves exploding at them. Can you imagine the pleasure?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

:wtc:

Neelix always freaked me the gently caress out. More than just annoying. He's got Eugene Tooms eyes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The worst part about Neelix is that Ethan Phillips is a really cool and friendly dude who deserved a much less lovely role, and he tried to make the most of it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

remusclaw posted:

The same way the extremely talented on his way up First Officer never moves onto his own command.

Can you imagine how much it must piss off all the junior officers that he won't get out of the way? 1st Officer on the Federation's flagship is an extremely prestigious position that would lead to any command you could think of. And this rear end in a top hat's hogging it for drat near 20 years.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Except Data was next in line and as progressive as the Federation is I don't see them giving an android a command.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lt. Cmdr. Shelby certainly wasn't thrilled with Riker refusing commands.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

remusclaw posted:

I expect there'd be relays from Earth to Moon, or even Earth to Mars, but...

Okay they usually say transporters are about 40k km range. Earth to Moon would be 10 relays. Earth to Mars would be 10,000 relays.

Earth to Vulcan - a very close star system - would be 3,785,000,000 relays.

Space big.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 11, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Earth to Moon would still be doable. Pop in fifteen (because the Feds are safety conscious and would build in redundancy) or so satellites between earth orbit and the moon and you're all set.

Anything further than that? Yeah, that's why we still need starships.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Earth to Moon would still be doable. Pop in fifteen (because the Feds are safety conscious and would build in redundancy) or so satellites between earth orbit and the moon and you're all set.

Anything further than that? Yeah, that's why we still need starships.

On the new U Scotty, Spock claims that old Scotty invented that kind of beaming. Was that in the series? Was it something he was supposed to have done after turning up in Next Gen?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actually in trek there's no sense of scale at all so they could just say there's 1 relay to get to the moon, 2 to mars, and 5 to other star systems and it would be canon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigAristotle posted:

He's got Eugene Tooms eyes.

I lol'd and shuttered at the same time

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

remusclaw posted:

On the new U Scotty, Spock claims that old Scotty invented that kind of beaming. Was that in the series? Was it something he was supposed to have done after turning up in Next Gen?

I think it was intended to be post-next-gen-movies that Scotty did it, but the tech does actually does turn up on Next Gen in the episode with Picard's fake son. Apparently it was abandoned for unreliability.

That was Season 7, so it's entirely possible that Scotty helped develop it in the past year or so after he popped out of the Dyson Sphere.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 11, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Namaer posted:

Except Data was next in line and as progressive as the Federation is I don't see them giving an android a command.

No, Data wouldn't seek the position. He doesn't want things like that, he has no ego to placate.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Namaer posted:

WampaLord posted:

No, Data wouldn't seek the position. He doesn't want things like that, he has no ego to placate.

I think there was some book that had a scene where Riker had a personal "gently caress me, I'm being an rear end in a top hat" moment about this very thing. He realized that a non-zero percent reason why he delayed being promoted was because he unconsciously knew good-ol unemotional Data wasn't nipping at his heels to replace him. If he had a Shelby working with him full-time, there'd be a consistent pressure to vacate the First Officer spot. But Data wasn't that person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Data in command arc could have been cool. He develops more as he has to make command decisions that risk people's lives. He loses crew members and begins to process something similar to grief. A faint hint of the thrill of victory could start driving him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MisterBibs posted:

I think there was some book that had a scene where Riker had a personal "gently caress me, I'm being an rear end in a top hat" moment about this very thing. He realized that a non-zero percent reason why he delayed being promoted was because he unconsciously knew good-ol unemotional Data wasn't nipping at his heels to replace him. If he had a Shelby working with him full-time, there'd be a consistent pressure to vacate the First Officer spot. But Data wasn't that person.

I think that was Vendetta, when the Federation was scrambling to battle the new planet-killer and Riker encountered Shelby again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like when data was in command and his lovely racist first officer was useless and doubted him and practically had to be threatened with arrest and then data saves the day with actually really good command.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I like when data was in command and his lovely racist first officer was useless and doubted him and practically had to be threatened with arrest and then data saves the day with actually really good command.

Bonus points for realizing that the best way to make the racist first officer do what he want was act like he was going to beat the poo poo out of him if he didn't do what he ordered.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baronjutter posted:

Redemption is only so-so and I'm not a huge Data fan, but I love this moment too. The whole concept of the crew getting split up and taking their own commands in a fleet is a pretty cool one and I wonder if they'll go in something like that direction with Discovery. All the main characters having totally stagnant careers where they keep the exact same job and rank for years and years with maybe one or two new officers getting introduced is one of the weirdest recurring elements of Trek to me, I get why it happened in 90s tv but surely they have an opportunity now to do something a little more dynamic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"YOU! THE ONE WHO IS EATING! EXPERIENCE BIJ!"

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Do teens on Federation worlds rebel by being pro-Borg. Like threatening to join the Borg, Borg metal bands, and so on.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lord Krangdar posted:

Do teens on Federation worlds rebel by being pro-Borg. Like threatening to join the Borg, Borg metal bands, and so on.

I like to think that some do, but 90% grow out of it, and the 10% that don't are summarily rejected by the Borg for not proving any benefit to the Collective.

Now I've got the mental image of some pasty white late-teen trying desperately to make the Borg attack/assimilate him, but can't.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Vortacore

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think the 09 trek comic had data running the enterprise (I think it was supposed to be a Canon comic too?).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder if the ironic "I want to be eaten by a Vorta, it's my fetish" teens ever get into fights with the ironic "I totally believe in the Romulan version of Eden" teens over terminology.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Namaer posted:

Just watched The Arsenal of Freedom and Riker mentions he was offered a command out of the academy but opted to serve on the Enterprise instead.

Wait, what? That can't be right. Encounter at Farpoint had him coming highly recommended from Captain DeSoto of the Hood.

...wow, you're right. But like Big Mean Jerk said, that first season was all kinds of hosed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't care what anyone else thinks, i fuckin' love the big throttle lever from The Motion Picture and I'm sad it was only ever in that one movie.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Sulu has a throttle in Nu Trek.

I just watched Conspiracy and the ending was insane. How did that air on broadcast television?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kazinsal posted:

The worst part about Neelix is that Ethan Phillips is a really cool and friendly dude who deserved a much less lovely role, and he tried to make the most of it.

Neelix got much more tolerable after Kes left the show. He even had a decent episode before that (Jetrel).