Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Who do you think is buying the entire gta in every direction? Canadian millennials are too busy with beards craft beers and bartering for goods without cash to be interested in working a non of job let alone afford real estate in any meaningful way

Go to bed grampa, you're drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

According to Nielsen's demographic system I'm a millennial, so I guess I should figure out how to grow a beard.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Vaughan has no idea who is buying condos. Does anyone have the demographics on these shoebox condo owners? Or is it just take money from developers and let them build a ghetto with no services because who the gently caress knows what services they require.

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3928218?client=safari

Or is the secret that they require no services because they're empty.

Gonna be a lot of consolidated two unit condos in 20 years probably. 600sq ft but a chopped up 1200sq ft unit is tolerable in a microwave dinner kind of way.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

cowofwar posted:

Vaughan has no idea who is buying condos. Does anyone have the demographics on these shoebox condo owners? Or is it just take money from developers and let them build a ghetto with no services because who the gently caress knows what services they require.

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3928218?client=safari

Or is the secret that they require no services because they're empty.

Vaughan downtown 'exploding,' says developer hoping to build 50-storey condo towers

im laughing so hard at this headline

The mob money has to go somewhere

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

Vaughan downtown 'exploding,' says developer hoping to build 50-storey condo towers

Ladies and gentlemen set your eyes upon the jewel of Canada, the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it's true, if I only drank real Canadian domestic beers like Molson ($21) instead of overpriced millennial craft beers ($23) I would be a millionaire in no time

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 11, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

it's true, if I only drank real Canadian domestic beers like Molson ($21) instead of overpriced millennial craft beers ($23) I would be a millionaire in no time
Ontario is stymying my economic progress by not having bulk discounts at the LCBO. Twelve bottle box, just the same price as twelve bottles and you get to store it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

THC posted:

Instead of pissing money away I can piss piss away.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

OSI bean dip posted:

Instead of pissing money away I can piss piss away.

we pay for that south of the border. new industry

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBC posted:

Well they are getting a subway! They'll be a world-class city in no time!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Patients of suspected fake Delta, B.C., plastic surgeon warned to get tested for HIV, hepatitis
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...titis-1.3908147
lol best place on earth

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As if your plastic surgery clinic being in the basement of a house isn't enough of a red flag.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Powershift posted:

As if your plastic surgery clinic being in the basement of a house isn't enough of a red flag.

These places are everywhere and it really blows my mind that they don't get busted more often. For the first four years I was in Burnaby there was a house just off Willingdon & Hastings which had a big "Dentures" sign in the window with chinese subtext, surrounded by Christmas lights. They eventually busted it as an illegal dental clinic but Ho-Ly-gently caress how did that take nearly half a decade to do when it's visible to any cop car driving up and down the main drag?

Like, maybe it's because I'm from a small town, but the only thing I could ever think when I saw that was "How is this legal, and who the hell would go to some rundown crackshack to get dentures?" :psyboom:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Powershift posted:

"Mirror...
Mirror!"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Such a good movie.

Too bad we never got the final city on Snake Pliskin's journey to freedom, Escape from Vancouver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rime posted:

These places are everywhere and it really blows my mind that they don't get busted more often. For the first four years I was in Burnaby there was a house just off Willingdon & Hastings which had a big "Dentures" sign in the window with chinese subtext, surrounded by Christmas lights. They eventually busted it as an illegal dental clinic but Ho-Ly-gently caress how did that take nearly half a decade to do when it's visible to any cop car driving up and down the main drag?

Like, maybe it's because I'm from a small town, but the only thing I could ever think when I saw that was "How is this legal, and who the hell would go to some rundown crackshack to get dentures?" :psyboom:

There's a massage parlor here that basically advertises itself as a brothel and has for some time, and that's still going, so maybe the cops don't really give a gently caress until they're told to give a gently caress.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Massage Brothels are effectively legalized in the same vein as weed in Vancouver, backalley dentistry is not.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Wow is Vancouver this crazy?

Here's the closest equivalent map I know of

I would say Vancouver's much worse. I grew up in Frenchs Forest (North Sydney) which was super nice and in the red area, but nothing nice is under $2 mill in Vancouver, and you have to go out to the high crime/unbearable commute/no community/industrial trucking route areas to get under $1 million now.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 11, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I thought all massage parlours were brothels.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

There's a guy in Ottawa who does vasectomies out of his basement office. I had like 4 co-workers who all got theirs done with him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

There's a guy in Ottawa who does vasectomies out of his basement office. I had like 4 co-workers who all got theirs done with him.

Little do you know they all actually went in for dental work.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Come on down to Uncle Wong's bargain basement multistore!

Exotic massage, cosmetic surgery, vasectomies (done in 5 minutes or your money back!), and realtor services!

Buy three services and get the forth one FREE!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Uhh yeah in Ontario we do our vasectomies in the hospital... :stare:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

The Butcher posted:

Come on down to Uncle Wong's bargain basement multistore!

Exotic massage, cosmetic surgery, vasectomies (done in 5 minutes or your money back!), and realtor services!

Buy three services and get the forth one FREE!

Dental? Vasectomy? Either way, I've got the tools and work cheap!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Point being how many of you millennial shitlords have 1/2m you can borrow from a bank for a house? I'll take a wild guess and say not many. Our RE growth has largely been from immigration, lax rates, absent reporting, and government backstopping. Our natural population growth simply cannot sustain the volume of RE transactions. This isn't meant to be an anti immigration piece, but you'd be blind to not see what has been essentially a government backed ponzi GDP program for the past decade.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Uhh yeah in Ontario we do our vasectomies in the hospital... :stare:

Meh, autoclaves are over-rated. A bit of alcohol with the correct Feng Shui orientation and you're good to go.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My Botox lady always washes her needles so I'm sure I'll be fine.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Risky Bisquick posted:

Point being how many of you millennial shitlords have 1/2m you can borrow from a bank for a house? I'll take a wild guess and say not many. Our RE growth has largely been from immigration, lax rates, absent reporting, and government backstopping. Our natural population growth simply cannot sustain the volume of RE transactions. This isn't meant to be an anti immigration piece, but you'd be blind to not see what has been essentially a government backed ponzi GDP program for the past decade.

Anyone who ever mentions millennials and money is so damned out of touch (I have some money, but it's because I live at home in a town where there's nowhere to spend it).

It's the socio-economic equivalent of Pauline Kael's "How did Richard Nixon win? No one I know voted for him!"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I went to some guy's basement to get a haircut for $9 in Calgary, expecting it to be some rando with a bare metal stool and a sheep shearer. Turns out it was a completely equipped store, with the fancy spinny leather chair, mirrors, the machine that puts curls in hair whatever it's called, the works. I was impressed. I cam out with a haircut, both ears and no hepatitis so it worked out well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hexigrammus posted:

Meh, autoclaves are over-rated. A bit of alcohol with the correct Feng Shui orientation and you're good to go.

Alcohol? Look at Mr. Fancypants. A tight rubber band in the right spot, plus a few days, and you'll be firing blanks.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
BC man whiney that he has to pay taxes and can't get them back:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pst-snafu-leaves-b-c-man-out-3k-after-returning-faulty-vehicle-1.3928056

quote:

PST snafu leaves B.C. man out $3K after returning faulty vehicle
'Unfortunately government administrators do not have any discretion'
By Richard Zussman, CBC News Posted: Jan 11, 2017 6:00 AM PT Last Updated: Jan 11, 2017 7:14 AM PT

A Richmond, B.C. man has a $3,010 hole in his bank account after the provincial government denied his PST refund.

Dmitro Krasnogolov purchased a 2008 Chevrolet Corvette in May after finding it online at a car dealership in Calgary. Krasnogolov travelled to Alberta and after test driving the used vehicle, bought it.

Once he returned home to Richmond, he registered the car with ICBC and paid both his insurance and the $3,010 in PST that was owed to the provincial Ministry of Finance.

Krasnogolov didn't pay the tax in Calgary, because Alberta does not have a provincial sales tax.

A week later, there were problems with the sports car's engine and the new owner brought it into a garage.

A mechanic said the engine was not working properly and the dealership in Alberta took the vehicle back, paid to have it shipped across the provincial border and provided a full refund.

But when Krasnogolov requested a PST refund from the B.C. government, he was denied.

"It's the just principle of it. You know, having a car for one week and it cost me $3,000. The worst thing is the federal government gave me back my GST no problem. The provincial government for some reason decided they would keep my money," said Krasnogolov.

No PST refund for out-of-province purchases

Only after reading more than 200 pages of provincial legislation did Krasnogolov find that section 125 of the tax law noted that PST refunds would only be issued for vehicles purchased in British Columbia.

Last week, Krasnogolov was notified that his appeal of the decision has also been denied.

"It was just such a shock, I didn't even expect something like that. I thought it was pretty straightforward. You send in the paperwork and they send you a cheque," he said. "When I was denied, it literally knocked the wind out of me, I was like seriously, for what reason."

He is speaking out because he wants others to know about the antiquated rule and is also considering taking the province to court in an attempt to get the refund.

Government administrators' hands tied

The Ministry of Finance responded to the story with a statement.

"Unfortunately government administrators do not have any discretion, as the legislation specifically sets out when PST refunds may be paid," the statement said.

"There is no refund of PST permitted on vehicles purchased outside the province, brought into the province for use and then subsequently returned to the out-of-province seller."

"Generally there are no refunds for goods brought or sent into British Columbia including where they are subsequently returned to the out-of-province seller. This is to limit the opportunity for tax avoidance, as our ability to verify out-of-province returns and other out-of-province transactions may be limited."

I'm the paying $43,000 on a used car that is almost a decade old. This guy is also a FoF who works security at YVR.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You have to pay PST on poo poo you didn't buy in BC? what kind of communist bullshit is that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

You have to pay PST on poo poo you didn't buy in BC? what kind of communist bullshit is that?

You have to pay PST (and I assume, GST?) on any used/new car when you register at ICBC. Freaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You have to pay tax when you bring a car into Canada too. :iit:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's pretty lovely of the BC government not to refund PST when the car was returned.

I mean yeah buying a decade old car for $43k is stupid as hell, but that doesn't make his point wrong.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HookShot posted:

It's pretty lovely of the BC government not to refund PST when the car was returned.

Why is "returned for refund' different from "sold at purchase price" given that it was imported and then disposed of in BC?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Why is "returned for refund' different from "sold at purchase price" given that it was imported and then disposed of in BC?

"A mechanic said the engine was not working properly and the dealership in Alberta took the vehicle back, paid to have it shipped across the provincial border and provided a full refund."

edit: And in any case, who cares? He paid the BC sales tax, why shouldn't he get it refunded when the car was returned? The GST was, after all.

Tochiazuma fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 11, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, he didn't re-export it. He gave it up in BC, and almost certainly got paid for it while the car was in BC. He should have asked the dealer to cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/richmond-driver-of-bond-style-car-shaken-stirred-over-bill-1.6930405

quote:

Richmond driver of Bond-style car shaken, stirred over bill
Jessica Liu is angry over $132,000 costs for repair of luxury, $200,000 Aston Martin
Alan Campbell / Richmond News

JANUARY 10, 2017 04:07 PM

Imagine, for a second, you’d just shelled out $200,000 for a very rare sports car that was made famous by the James Bond movies.

Then, fast forward the dream scenario and picture a nightmare where you crash the car — a very lightly-used, Aston Martin DB9 in Skyfall silver — have only basic insurance and are facing a $132,000 repair bill.

That is, however, exactly the situation a Richmond resident, Jessica Liu, finds herself in, having driven the stunning limited edition — only 100 were made — for only a few kilometres before she inexplicably veered off the road and hit a large stone near Blundell and Garden City roads in December 2015.

It has been more than a year since Liu — who regularly travels to and from China on business — has driven the car and seven months since she has even seen it.

Since then, Liu’s 007 replica has been languishing in the luxury bodyshop of Burrard Autostrasse (BA) in Vancouver.

For almost a year, Liu, who lives near Blundell and No. 2 roads, has been at odds with the autoshop over their bill to bring her Aston Martin back to roadworthy condition.

To put things into perspective, a pot of the car’s silver paint, which is named after Bond movie Skyfall, chimes in at $900 and a single headlight registers at $7,000.

Neither of those items, however, form the crux of Liu’s contention, with her focus trained on the cost of a pair of brake rotors ($30,000, plus labour) and a completely new subframe ($25,000, plus labour).

“I’m not going to pay a cent; I don’t even want the car back anymore; I want a refund (from the dealer),” Liu, who is in her 30s, told the Richmond News via email from China.

“I don’t think it’s safe to drive. I just drove it for two weeks; I don’t trust the car, I don’t trust the dealer and I don’t trust the autoshop’s invoices.”

Liu, who told BA to stop working on her car last fall, questioned the need to buy a pair of rotors (brakes) when only one of them is chipped and claims she can get the subframe for $10,000 less somewhere else.

To compound her misery, Liu is being dinged $200 a day by BA for storage of the Aston Martin. On Monday, that fee was $18,000.

“I shouldn’t be paying storage fees for a car that isn’t finished,” she added.

Liu bought the car, which can cost $300,000 brand new, for a “bargain” $200,000 in June 2015 from Vancouver-based, luxury car dealer MCL.

After the accident a few months later, she called the dealership and was directed to BA, where the car was towed to.

An initial repair estimate a few days later rang in at around $24,000, before rising, under closer inspection to nearer $100,000 in January of last year.

Not happy with the estimate, Liu took the car to a Richmond repair shop, where she obtained a much cheaper quote for the subframe. However, she discovered the subframe can only be bought by an Aston Martin-approved technician and the only approved facility in B.C. is BA. In July 2016, she felt she had no choice but to take her car back into BA, where it has been since.

Unhappy with the subsequent bill, she sought legal advice in October and lawyers for each party have been duking it out ever since.

Explaining parts of the $132,000 bill, Frank Van Pykstra, co-owner of BA, said the brakes are ceramic and, therefore, “they can’t be machined” like regular brakes.

“This is a car that can go 250 kilometres per hour; we can’t take any chances, it has to be 100 per cent,” said Van Pykstra.

As for needing a pair of rotors and not just one, Van Pykstra said, “When you’re braking in this car, in any car really, the brakes need to be balanced. You can’t replace just one.”

The subframe, he said, is a “restricted part,” meaning only authorized shops can buy it. “I’m not sure how (Liu) could get the subframe for that price; it would have to be from a damaged car or something or from someone using the kind of certification that only a very few people have.”

As for the storage fees, Van Pykstra said he’ll waive them if the matter resolves soon.

“We’ve done everything we can for this customer,” he added.

“We’ve made her an offer, which is valid until this Friday; we will take $5,000 off her bill and waive the storage fees.”

ICBC, which is hiking basic insurance rates next year by 4.9 per cent, announced last November that, beginning this year, it will stop insuring luxury cars worth more than $150,000.

There are about 3,000 cars worth more than $150,000 insured in B.C. this year, a 30 per cent increase from three years ago. Many of them can be seen being driven around in Richmond.

I'm the loving idiot who buys an expensive $200,000 car and whines about how much it costs to fix after probably driving it way too loving fast.

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: