Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

In this case, see Fallout 4.

So, my "never works" still stands? Sorry, I know FO4 is fairly well liked, but it didn't hook me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
So are there any more story details out there beside Ryder being the aliens and Asari eyebrows? Oh and the female krogan they posted on Facebook earlier.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still nothing on the beta?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Stelio Kontos posted:

So are there any more story details out there beside Ryder being the aliens and Asari eyebrows? Oh and the female krogan they posted on Facebook earlier.

Ryder's ship arrives late which explains why all the Milky Way races have towns and bars and stuff already setup, the sibling you don't pick to play as has a space hangover and your dad dies or something so that's why you are on your own, and you get to partner with / bang a new Andromeda alien.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pretty sure dad doesn't actually die but otherwise yeah.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Just once I'd like to play as a protagonist who didn't come from a broken home / wasn't orphaned / didn't watch his parents get murdered infront of him / etc. and whose motivation for leaving his cushy job and comfortable lifestyle is just ennui or something.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nevets posted:

Just once I'd like to play as a protagonist who didn't come from a broken home / wasn't orphaned / didn't watch his parents get murdered infront of him / etc. and whose motivation for leaving his cushy job and comfortable lifestyle is just ennui or something.

real life is boring though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nevets posted:

Spacer/War Hero Shepard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nevets posted:

Stardew Valley is on Steam right now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nevets posted:

My Shepard gets calls and emails from his mom all the time though?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Spacer/War Hero Shepard.

I was gonna say, one of my favorite things about Spacer Shepard is that their Mom is still alive. You even get to chat with her a couple time!

Edit: A little slow, but I'm glad other people here love Hannah Shepard.

marshmallow creep posted:

Stardew Valley is on Steam right now.

Oooh, this is a good answer too. Stardew Valley is a cool game where (almost) no one dies. More people should play it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 10, 2017

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Oooh, this is a good answer too. Stardew Valley is a cool game where (almost) no one dies. More people should play it.

This is all sorts of true. Stardew Valley is the most relaxing videogame I've played in years. After chasing my baby around all day or after a long shift at work, I boot up and do the same thing in 16 glorious bits.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

Anno 2205 scratches the same itch for me. No one dies outside the completely optional crisis sectors, which are easy to ignore.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Pretty sure dad doesn't actually die but otherwise yeah.

DadRyder is voiced by Clancy Brown so it's still a 50% chance he will turn out to be a bad guy, or at the very least a greedy capitalistic crab, and have to be killed by Ryder.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DadRyder is the Pathfinder at the start of the game. One/both of his kids take over at some point, so DadRyder either dies or goes rogue or goes missing or gets injured.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd rather go for dead. The only thing more cliché than a dead parent is a villainous parent.

The ME series has enough metaphorical daddy issues knocking around; they don't need to go making them literal.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kibayasu posted:

DadRyder is voiced by Clancy Brown so it's still a 50% chance he will turn out to be a bad guy, or at the very least a greedy capitalistic crab, and have to be killed by Ryder.

I'd be really into it if he reprises the Kurgan.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE PATHFINDER.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Shepard cannot push a button if you disable his hand!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd rather go for dead. The only thing more cliché than a dead parent is a villainous parent.

The ME series has enough metaphorical daddy issues knocking around; they don't need to go making them literal.

What about a villainous parent that every thought was dead but was secretly behind the secret villain plot all along only to be revealed at the end of the first game leaving it on an epic cliff hanger, but they have a change of heart in the second game and reveal that they were taking orders from Space-MegaHitler and have a redemption arc and sacrifice themselves to save the universe and show they had a heart of glod really?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skippy McPants posted:

It still amazes me that every single loyalty with the exception of Kasumi/Garrus/Zaeed/Mordin was about daddy issues. Either they had a poo poo dad or they were a poo poo dad in the case of Thane/Samara.

And Garrus had his daddy issues mission in ME1.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Henry Lawson was a really stupid character name too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zore posted:

It still amazes me that every single loyalty with the exception of Kasumi/Garrus/Zaeed/Mordin was about daddy issues.
Hey now, Mordin helped CREATE Daddy issues. For the Krogan :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

DadRyder is the Pathfinder at the start of the game. One/both of his kids take over at some point, so DadRyder either dies or goes rogue or goes missing or gets injured.

Haha he goes rogue. :laugh:

"Admiral! This Pathfinder's finding TOO MANY new places!!! What the gently caress he think we gonna do?"
"Bring him in, he's dangerous!"

*later*

"DadRyder, you're a loose cannon! You're Off the Case! Hand in your badge and your sexy Asari, now get the gently caress outta here!"
"gently caress you! Can't stop the music!"

*later*

Fryder: "Where's Dad gone?"
Guyder: "I HAVE DADDY ISSUES."
Fryder: "I sense a quest chain coming on!"

*later*

PeeBee: Warglharghlarhghlabeesinmypants

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Phylodox posted:

Yes. It's my fanfiction. Original content, do not steal.

I stole it. Sorry.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

I stole it. Sorry.

It goes well with my Sick Nasty gang tag, at least.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

genophage the asari

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Skippy McPants posted:

I was gonna say, one of my favorite things about Spacer Shepard is that their Mom is still alive. You even get to chat with her a couple time!

Produces one of the best moments in the entire series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

It still amazes me that every single loyalty with the exception of Kasumi/Garrus/Zaeed/Mordin was about daddy issues. Either they had a poo poo dad or they were a poo poo dad in the case of Thane/Samara.

Say what you will about ME3, I like that the resolution to Garrus's daddy issues was "So, we talked, and agreed that the whole super-apocalypse was more important than our old arguments. We're pretty much getting along now without any intervention from you, Shepard."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zore posted:

Kasumi: Called him daddy
Mordin: is basically the daddy

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Garrus was basically Sidonis' dad.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Waltzing Along posted:

I usually go orphan route each time myself, but I love the idea that a protagonist has a healthy, caring relationship with a parent who does not at any point get pulled into some meaningless death for cheap melodrama.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

The talk with Garrus in ME3?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JawKnee posted:

The talk with Garrus in ME3?

No. In Citadel, after you have chosen red and destroyed the reapers and survived and had a weird hallucination about Joker landing on some weird planet, and then defeated your evil twin, you can call your mom and the conversation ends with Hannah telling her child how proud she is of what Shepard has done. Then you have a big party with your friends.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I genuinely like the delivery of Garrus' line if you're the spacer shep and you ask him how his family is doing after he first gets to the ship

:shepface: - "I'm sure they're fine."

:sicknasty: - "That's the thing about getting old, Shepard; the platitudes get just as old"

:sicknasty: - "What about your mom, she get out okay?"

:shepface: - "Haven't heard from her since the reapers hit"

:sicknasty: - "I'm sure... she's... fine."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JawKnee posted:

I genuinely like the delivery of Garrus' line if you're the spacer shep and you ask him how his family is doing after he first gets to the ship

:shepface: - "I'm sure they're fine."

:sicknasty: - "That's the thing about getting old, Shepard; the platitudes get just as old"

:sicknasty: - "What about your mom, she get out okay?"

:shepface: - "Haven't heard from her since the reapers hit"

:sicknasty: - "I'm sure... she's... fine."

And she's dying of Turian Alzheimer's so... the prognosis isn't good.

Probably for the best that you can't tell Joker what happened to his sister, for that matter.

Although spacer Shepard never talks about her dad/other mom except in a vague past tense, so there's plenty of room for tragedy there if you're inclined to think something happened.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cythereal posted:

Probably for the best that you can't tell Joker what happened to his sister, for that matter.

Thanks for reminding me about that depressing bit of background info.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Although spacer Shepard never talks about her dad/other mom except in a vague past tense, so there's plenty of room for tragedy there if you're inclined to think something happened.

Shepard's dad is Pa Ryder. His mother went back to her maiden name after the divorce, and raised Shepard on her own while Ryder pursued his career until he decided to remarry. The Ryder twins are Shepard's half-siblings.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I haven't followed the plot super close but isn't Andromeda a ways after Shepard time wise?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kingtheninja posted:

I haven't followed the plot super close but isn't Andromeda a ways after Shepard time wise?

600 years due to cold sleep in travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Obviously the red-destroy ending is the proper ending because otherwise Shepareaper would have used space magic to catch up to Ryder in Andromeda.