Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man, BvS was fun as hell. It has snarky Alfred, Luthor feeding a sitting congressman a cherry jolly rancher, the Flash literally busting into the middle of the movie like "oh hey whoops too early, see Justice League 2017!", and a bunch of really well done action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hodgepodge posted:

Darkseid's minions destroy every automobile on the planet as a demonstration of power.

Snyder speed-ramps over images of expanding flames gently licking the glossy hoods of European imports.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Man does Superman not even care? How could he just let all those cars get destroyed? He didn't even make a sad face when they were blowing up Snyder's Superman is such a gritty sociopath!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Man does Superman not even care? How could he just let all those cars get destroyed? He didn't even make a sad face when they were blowing up Snyder's Superman is such a gritty sociopath!

Batman's memorial for the Batmobile will be seen by many as redeeming the film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hodgepodge posted:

Darkseid's minions destroy every automobile on the planet as a demonstration of power.

You're thinking of Klaatu from The Day the Earth Stood Still ('51).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Batman's memorial for the Batmobile will be seen by many as redeeming the film.

You can tell The Dark Knight was dark because Batman blew up his car like it was nothing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know everything about what you guys are arguing about but the main thing that bugs me about that JLA promo photo is "why are they being hatched from a pod with dry ice?" First thing I think of is Brundlefly.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You know what just struck me----every big hero at DC has at least one cool epithet, like "the Fastest Man Alive," "Lord of the Living Lightning," "the Emerald Archer," "the Emerald Knight," "the King of the Sea." Batman and Superman have like three apiece. Even Martian Manhunter has a lovely one ("the Manhunter from Mars.") Does Wonder Woman have one? Like I cannot think of a single one----the Amazonian something something? The something something Embassador of Something? I guess Cyborg needs one too if he's in the League now. "The Sonic Shootist?" "The Glowing Guardian?" "He Turns Into A Helicopter?" "The Hamburger Helper?" "Angstyman Nolegs?" Iunno.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"that guy from teen titans, except we can't decide if teen titans is serious or not so have some robocop"

I swear Teen Titans is the most schizophrenic IP in all of comics. The comics are the 80siest trash in existence, the first cartoon was western anime before Avatar popularised the concept (and its tone was inconsistent with itself), teen titans go is childish but amusing, and now Cyborg is robocop. It's Real Weird

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/markhughesfilms/status/818909562543575044

Man, I feel kind of bad for Affleck

https://twitter.com/4eyedRaven/status/818794361882177536

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Jesus, what the hell is wrong with nerds? A movie that the man wrote, directed, produced, and starred in is coming out this week and all anyone wants to do is pester the poor guy about a scheduled movie that's at least two movies away in its franchise anyway.

You'll get your dumb Bat movie when he's done writing it, sperglings.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Jesus, what the hell is wrong with nerds? A movie that the man wrote, directed, produced, and starred in is coming out this week and all anyone wants to do is pester the poor guy about a scheduled movie that's at least two movies away in its franchise anyway.

Eh, I figure part of that tens of millions dollars paycheck is dealing with the internet toxicity.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gyges posted:

People just find something hateable about the guy, and not just nerds. It played into his casting in Gone Girl, even.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Man, I feel kind of bad for Affleck

Same. The Forbes article really lined up with how I think Ben might be feeling after I saw how he reacted to the Batman/Justice League questions on Jimmy Kimmel, and how poorly Live By Night is doing with audiences and critics. Hope he comes out on top of everything in the end, because he made an awesome Batman, and is a really solid director imo. But I wouldn't blame him if he decided to just up and walk away from the solo Batman film and the DCEU.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Halloween Jack posted:

People just find something hateable about the guy, and not just nerds. It played into his casting in Gone Girl, even.

He keeps saying how smart he is, but I saw Goodwill Hunting! You don't fool me you southie prick! hide your accent some more!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
He should find a way to get his brother involved in the DCEU because he's an amazing actor and supposedly a legendary rear end in a top hat. Could he be the Batman we deserve?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hodgepodge posted:

He should find a way to get his brother involved in the DCEU because he's an amazing actor and supposedly a legendary rear end in a top hat. Could he be the Batman we deserve?

Casey should be Azrael.

...or Guy Gardner.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, Forbes opening up its website to "contributors" was the worst loving thing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Drifter posted:

Casey should be Azrael.

...or Guy Gardner.

We've just had a Batman who "goes too far" so the character will probably need at least one film to establish an MO to be taken to extremes.

They're already selling toys branded with the new Batman movie, by the way :suicide:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Eh, I figure part of that tens of millions dollars paycheck is dealing with the internet toxicity.

He made it through Daredevil, I'm sure he'll survive this. It's just really dumb. The studio is literally in post production of the next Batman movie right now. It's being touched up and they're beginning advertisements for it. How about we consume that media, argue about how if you like it you're just a DC Shill and if you don't like it you're just a Marvel Zombie. Then we can start fiddling with our Batman decoder ring while we complain about how there's no new Batman movie yet. Maybe give it a quick pause while we jerk off over the Harley Quinn movie that we'll have teasers for at that point.

Do you want a Batman movie, or do you want a good Batman movie?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hodgepodge posted:

They're already selling toys branded with the new Batman movie, by the way :suicide:

Wait, what?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Wait, what?

It comes out in exactly a month too! :v:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I think there's a difference between JL being hopeful and optimistic after a dark second act film and JL being a quippy insincere jokeathon that never takes itself seriously in attempt to ape the competition.

I'm pretty scared of it becoming the latter as well.

I doubt Snyder will disappoint, it's not like studio's are going to give a poo poo about Rotten Tomatoes as long as they're still seeing green. Both BvS and Suicide Squad were successes despite nerd outrage.
All of this "DC is scrambling, totally afraid, trying to be Marvel" poo poo is just from Marvel fanboys/Not my Batmans.

Patrick Spens posted:

Hey, The Spirit was great.

Yeah, by far one of the most honest comic book movies.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ares has been confirmed as the main villain of Wonder Woman

quote:

The French publication Studio Ciné Live did a feature on Wonder Woman and divulged details about the movie that fans have been waiting to hear. In particularly, the magazine apparently confirmed that Ares would be Wonder Woman’s adversary in the movie, and Les Toiles Héroïques translated the feature’s description for English-speaking fans. You can check it out below:

“Behind these scientific formulas, there is a deadly gas that could well annihilate humanity. Now, it turns out that this is precisely the goal of Ares, the god of war. He is jealous of humanity, which is a creation of his father, the deceased Zeus (he was killed by Ares when he rebelled against him, with the help of the Amazons)…”

http://comicbook.com/2017/01/11/wonder-woman-villain-confirmed-new-images-released/

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It comes out in exactly a month too! :v:

The Lego ones are on the shelf at my Wal*mart :shrug:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

a quippy insincere jokeathon

Am I the only one that is confused by this particular criticism of (presumably) Marvel movies? I never understood it at all. I'll take Marvel humor over "I figured. The cape" and "I thought she was with you"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Am I the only one that is confused by this particular criticism of (presumably) Marvel movies? I never understood it at all. I'll take Marvel humor over "I figured. The cape" and "I thought she was with you"

man you really showed that strawman what's up

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

TetsuoTW posted:

man you really showed that strawman what's up

There have been a few people saying Marvel's humor isn't very good, so it's really not much of a straw man.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm not really seeing a big difference between those lines and Marvel Humor

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm not really seeing a big difference between those lines and Marvel Humor

Well, you see, one has Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans, and the other comes from an actual good movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Savidudeosoo posted:

There have been a few people saying Marvel's humor isn't very good, so it's really not much of a straw man.
Criticizing Marvel's films for having bad humor doesn't mean approving of DC's.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You guys are going too far, way too far when you are calling The Spirit a great movie

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

There's been a few times in Marvel movies I felt like they avoided what could have been a good scene and instead went for a quip-off, but the only one that comes to mind right now is the show-down with Ultron in the ship surrounded by boxes of Stark-brand weaponry. You'd think they could have done something with Tony surrounded by his arms-dealer past and faced by two people whose lives were ruined by him, but instead they just snip at each other then fight.

I don't think it's a huge problem but it's there sometimes.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The quips in Avengers I were mostly pretty good, but there was a lot of dumb stuff in Avengers II. Like when Captain America gets all upset because someone says "poo poo" or whatever? Like GIs didn't say poo poo in World War II? And then there's like four lines of them making fun of him when it wasn't much of a gag in the first place? Ugh.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I don't see how that's a party.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

The quips in Avengers I were mostly pretty good, but there was a lot of dumb stuff in Avengers II. Like when Captain America gets all upset because someone says "poo poo" or whatever? Like GIs didn't say poo poo in World War II? And then there's like four lines of them making fun of him when it wasn't much of a gag in the first place? Ugh.

I don't think he got upset, just that he didn't relaly care for that language. Also, his behavior about cursing mimics what a parent says to their children. Maybe there was something there about how he sees everybody, and why he feels like it's okay to think everyone should trust him to 'make all the right decisions' when it comes to extrajudicial activities.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Captain America isn't allowed to be cool in Avengers AoU because a 1940s Democrat can't be treated with the same degree of respect as Tony 'John Galt' Stark or otherwise the facile cheerleading for military interventionism and libertarianism would ring hollow (unless he's hitting people with a shield and/or praising the military-industrial complex - "This is what SHIELD was meant to be!")

The Winter Soldier and Civil War form this sort of bizarre counterthesis in which Captain America is cool because the government is a reptilian/octopus conspiracy (like, that's what a hydra is, mythologically speaking), but doesn't have the balls to actually say one side or the other is wrong, even though neither side is planning on caring about what the government wants anyway. It's a bizarre false dichotomy powered entirely by there being some convenient alien Other to unite against two movies from now.

Like, BvS has the same general concept, except Batman is really obviously wrong - even if he's wrong for the right reasons. Superman actually could be an existential threat, and he does need limitations - it's just that those limitations are human morality, because he is a genuinely good person.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Behind these scientific formulas, there is a deadly gas that could well annihilate humanity.

Oh boy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

She's going to kill the God of War and then abandon humanity for being too much like him.

I'm so in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tom Holland confirmed that Spider-Man will be in Infinity War.

Charlie Cox has also met with the movie division of Marvel and it could be nothing, but might hint at a Daredevil / Defenders cameo.

• Locked thread