Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

but they will do their level best to drown out any sort of productive conversation in a wave of tedious, empty, circular bullshit.

So he's a perfect fit for Negrotown?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gaunab posted:

Can I mod GBS?

Don't do it life is still worth living.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MariusLecter posted:

I would have guessed ytmnd.

Also,
https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/818648069910634496

Everyone here is familiar with Jeff Sessions I presume...

I missed this, but given the context of the question, I really fail to see what he could say to convince him...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It's bad because he's a gimmickposter, and that's the opening stage of his MO - drop into a conversation about bigotry, and then use a storm of pedantry and misrepresentation to argue that the bigotry being discussed does not exist, and the people talking about it are the real bigots.

Case in point:

DrPaper posted:

So he's a perfect fit for Negrotown?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
someone pm me when this thread is about black people again and not whatever this awful poo poo is jesus christ

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Martian Manfucker posted:

someone pm me when this thread is about black people again and not whatever this awful poo poo is jesus christ

I am still here!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeff-sessions-racist-record_us_587547e3e4b092a6cae380cd

quote:

Republicans on the committee said that allegations of racism should not define the breadth of Sessions’ public service.

“People are identifying specific issues where there are policy differences, but my point is that does not characterize your entire record of 20 years in the United States Senate or how you conducted yourself as a prosecutor,” said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas).

And why the gently caress not? This is the kind of poo poo that should immediately end any consideration for this position.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

blackguy32 posted:

I am still here!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeff-sessions-racist-record_us_587547e3e4b092a6cae380cd

And why the gently caress not? This is the kind of poo poo that should immediately end any consideration for this position.

No, you don't get it, it's not racism it's a "different position on policy".

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988-Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.html#document/p1

Coretta Scott King personally wrote to bar Sessions from a federal judgeship in 1986. Wesley Lowery of the Washington Post dug it up today.

The writing on the wall for this guy has been true for ages.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
...And I'll be goddamn if my rims ain't too. :smith:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pastrymancy posted:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988-Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.html#document/p1

Coretta Scott King personally wrote to bar Sessions from a federal judgeship in 1986. Wesley Lowery of the Washington Post dug it up today.

He also lied when asked if he had ever been considered for an appointment. He doesn't remember appointments or if he got awards from the KKK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dexo posted:

...And I'll be goddamn if my rims ain't too. :smith:

Why is that song still in my head after eight years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

OwlFancier posted:

Why is that song still in my head after eight years.

That song will be retired from my playlists on the 19th.

And unlike my retiring of R Kelly's music(Man is 12 play so loving good, just can't listen to that dudes's music anymore), this retirement will be looked back on fondly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dexo posted:

That song will be retired from my playlists on the 19th.

And unlike my retiring of R Kelly's music(Man is 12 play so loving good, just can't listen to that dudes's music anymore), this retirement will be looked back on fondly.

Will we have to retire the "To Pimp a Butterfly" album cover too?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

It happened in one of the USPol threads, POC posters literally had to post their hands next to paper bags.

Ahh the ol' Belgian method

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pastrymancy posted:

Christ, her reference to his Black Belt-focused "fraud" investigations got a loving shudder out of me given Bentley's bullshit drivers license closures here. I'm conscientious enough to know this poo poo never ends, but there's just something different about seeing it in a ~30 year old letter that drives that home in a different way compared to a dispassionate summary or neutral note in an article.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DrPaper posted:

Negomancer has a probation for demanding someone do that then saying they where basically white on the inside when they proved they were black, so you can probably find it from his rapsheet.

Weird. That incident has been brought up before in this thread and it was attributed to someone entirely different.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Argas posted:

Weird. That incident has been brought up before in this thread and it was attributed to someone entirely different.

I think this is the incident they're referring to.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785095&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=394

It's not negromancer that questioned the poster's race, his probate was for a follow up comment on the next page.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Heard negromancer got banned. Just here to pay my respects, he got away with the racial supremacist stuff for a long time. Hope he takes the advice in his ban reason. RIP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Hi I'm a white guy and have a question for the citizens of Negrotown. First off, I don't know anything about anything. Everything I say in the next few sentences might be completely incorrect or hopefully just mostly incorrect, but I'm just gonna do my best here.

So according to a friend on facebook and some articles I've read, the new definition of racism/sexism/whateverism requires both prejudice and power for it to be considered as such. Does that mean racism no longer happens on a personal level? If some black guy can't get a loan, and the reason turns out to be his name is a bit too black sounding, that's obviously racism. But if I call some dude the n word, is that racism? If a black dude calls me a cracker, is that racism?

If not, then I guess they're just prejudices? But aren't they racial prejudices? And isn't a nice and short term for "racial prejudice" just racism? Obviously what I'm getting at is what's wrong with calling the bank thing "institutional racism" and me and that guy being assholes to each other "racism"?

If that situation I described is racism, why? Are we both being racist in that scenario? I realize I have privilege but that doesn't imply I personally have any power whatesoever over anyone.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

aherdofpenguins posted:

But if I call some dude the n word, is that racism?

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Patrick Spens posted:

gfsincere is negromancer.

Oh, I was unaware.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785095&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=394

It's not negromancer that questioned the poster's race, his probate was for a follow up comment on the next page.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Ok, what if it's a Hispanic guy calling a black guy the n word, and a black guy calling him the s word? Is it possible for a non-white person to be racist?

Yeah after re-reading it that sounds way lovely, sorry. I changed it.
VVV

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 11, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

aherdofpenguins posted:

Ok, what if it's a Hispanic guy calling a black guy the n word, and a black guy calling him the s word? Is it possible for a non-white to be racist?

Maybe you should call non-white people people and not 'a non-white'

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Look we all know the like two places where this line of questioning is about to lead...

When you get there either

1. My main question will be why the gently caress do you want to say it in the first place

2. Don't you have terms of affection or nickname you call your wife/girlfriend/husband/partner. Bet you would be fairly unhappy if some random dude who you or her have no shared experiences with said it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

aherdofpenguins posted:

Ok, what if it's a Hispanic guy calling a black guy the n word, and a black guy calling him the s word? Is it possible for a non-white person to be racist?

Yeah after re-reading it that sounds way lovely, sorry. I changed it.
VVV

Do you understand how weird it is that you're trying to construct some kind of slur acceptability matrix?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Patrick Spens posted:

I was aware, I just wasn't aware of his particular role in that since my faulty memory indicated differently.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like I missed the drama. Congrats on the modship Koalas.

There's no way Dylan Roof wasn't going down for that shooting. That was clear the moment they tried to co-opt the attack on Christianity instead of black people; the victimhood was so good they wanted to appropriate it.

But even when that failed, Roof was still to perfect a villain to let go. He fit the image of the disturbed loner too well, and there's no group who had any reason or interest in standing up for him. Cops get pissed when you go after cops, old white people get pissed when you go after militia groups, good ol' boys networks get pissed when you go after promising young athletes. If there's any sympathy to be had for Roof (big if) it's that he and people like him are the cannon fodder of white supremacy. Someone who can be wound up and sent against POC to generate fear and terror, and then abandoned at the end to generate some plausible deniability for a racist system.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Dexo posted:

Look we all know the like two places where this line of questioning is about to lead...

When you get there either

1. My main question will be why the gently caress do you want to say it in the first place

2. Don't you have terms of affection or nickname you call your wife/girlfriend/husband/partner. Bet you would be fairly unhappy if some random dude who you or her have no shared experiences with said it.

1. Sorry, I've literally never said or wanted to say that in the first place, I put myself in that example to make it easier to word. I guess I should've said some other white guy. I'd never want to say that.

2. I'm not asking if using the n-word will make anyone happy or not, I know it wouldn't. I was just asking if that and "cracker" fit the academic definition of racism.

raminasi posted:

Do you understand how weird it is that you're trying to construct some kind of slur acceptability matrix?

Argh yeah, sorry to put it in such a weird scenario. I guess I dunno how to ask my question without sounding like an rear end.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I recall sedanchair got accused of being not black because his hand was light-skinned in a picture

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

aherdofpenguins posted:

1. Sorry, I've literally never said or wanted to say that in the first place, I put myself in that example to make it easier to word. I guess I should've said some other white guy. I'd never want to say that.

2. I'm not asking if using the n-word will make anyone happy or not, I know it wouldn't. I was just asking if that and "cracker" fit the academic definition of racism.

Argh yeah, sorry to put it in such a weird scenario. I guess I dunno how to ask my question without sounding like an rear end.

Pro tip: if you can type out cracker and not type out the n-word, they might not be in the same league

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

aherdofpenguins posted:

Just ask your question and sound like an rear end. Be prepared for people not to treat you with kid gloves.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

aherdofpenguins posted:

Here dude. This is in the OP but I'll re-link it for you here. http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2013/07/national_conversation_on_race_time_for_some_ground_rules

In particular, I would highlight #2, #7, #8 and #10 as being useful to what you're thinking about. Though really, the whole thing is useful for us white dudes to refresh on from time to time.

e: forgot link like a dummy

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

aherdofpenguins posted:

Do you actually think that cracker is as bad as the n-word?

If not then there's your power+prejudice. There is nothing you can call a white dude that is as offensive as the n-word. In fact the only way to effectively slur a white man is to call him either a woman or a queer because being a straight white man is just so culturally awesome that you insult one by claiming he is anything else.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

stone cold posted:

Pro tip: if you can type out cracker and not type out the n-word, they might not be in the same league

I never said they were in the same league, I asked if either of them or both are racist. My original question was about racism on an individual level, which I've now learned a lot about.

there wolf posted:

Do you actually think that cracker is as bad as the n-word?

If not then there's your power+prejudice. There is nothing you can call a white dude that is as offensive as the n-word. In fact the only way to effectively slur a white man is to call him either a woman or a queer because being a straight white man is just so culturally awesome that you insult one by claiming he is anything else.

I don't think it's as bad, no. I didn't mean to imply they were on an equal level.

Good explanation, though.

Gaunab posted:

Just ask your question and sound like an rear end. Be prepared for people not to treat you with kid gloves.

Nah I appreciate the lack of kid gloves and everyone pointing out weird stuff I said ("non-whites" for example), but then no one actually directly answered my initial question. I feel like the way I asked my question got in the way of anyone actually answering it because there was just so much wrong with how I phrased it.

climboutonalimb posted:

Here dude. This is in the OP but I'll re-link it for you here. http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2013/07/national_conversation_on_race_time_for_some_ground_rules

In particular, I would highlight #2, #7, #8 and #10 as being useful to what you're thinking about. Though really, the whole thing is useful for us white dudes to refresh on from time to time.

e: forgot link like a dummy

Thanks so much, yeah #2 and #7 were exactly what I was looking for initially. The numbers you pointed out and basically the whole list made a lot of sense though, sorry I missed it the first time reading the OP.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Lowtax posted:

I don't hate dealing with poo poo like this, but I do hate it when people tell me what I think or believe. Like your comment about me not seeing race in posters; I don't. The threads I read are the entertaining ones, and debating politics is not interesting to me, so race hardly ever comes into play in my mind when I'm reading threads. While I don't personally agree with your belief that skin color should be a factor in moderating, and I honestly don't agree with a lot of the prevailing beliefs here, I don't have any problem accepting the fact that people can believe and interpret things in a different way, and if that includes choosing a mod based on skin color, then so be it. Not a big deal.

Part of the problem is how some people do have the luxury of avoiding these 'not interesting' issues that ruin the lives of people who have no such luck. If you really don't see race, that doesn't make the problem of racism not exist. It makes you blissfully ignorant of it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, that's not the one I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of the time other posters were accused of claiming to be black when they weren't and having to post pics with their hand next to paper bags to prove they were actually black.

A big flaming stink posted:

I recall sedanchair got accused of being not black because his hand was light-skinned in a picture

This may be what I'm thinking of.

aherdofpenguins posted:

I never said they were in the same league, I asked if either of them or both are racist. My original question was about racism on an individual level, which I've now learned a lot about.

I don't think it's as bad, no. I didn't mean to imply they were on an equal level.

Good explanation, though.

Nah I appreciate the lack of kid gloves and everyone pointing out weird stuff I said ("non-whites" for example), but then no one actually directly answered my initial question. I feel like the way I asked my question got in the way of anyone actually answering it because there was just so much wrong with how I phrased it.

Thanks so much, yeah #2 and #7 were exactly what I was looking for initially. The numbers you pointed out and basically the whole list made a lot of sense though, sorry I missed it the first time reading the OP.

To be fair, I think links like that one are somewhat easy to miss if you don't click each word in the section where he linked a bunch of similar articles in quick succession (and I think some of the links are broken now).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, that's not the one I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of the time other posters were accused of claiming to be black when they weren't and having to post pics with their hand next to paper bags to prove they were actually black.

This may be what I'm thinking of.

To be fair, I think links like that one are somewhat easy to miss if you don't click each word in the section where he linked a bunch of similar articles in quick succession (and I think some of the links are broken now).

On a phone right now (and getting ready for work) but I'll take a look and clean up any dead links in the OP in a little while.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

In the UK we're having a "discussion" about whether morris dancers blacking up is racist. (I guess it's the same sort of thing as minstrel shows in the US?)

I hate to sound like a typical sheltered white guy, but I really thought we'd put this to rest.

Fake Edit: As I'm typing this there is a guy blacking up on the radio...
Real Edit: "It's a shame people don't want to engage and just assume I'm doing it to mock"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Please explain "blacking up" to me. At first I thought you meant like blackface but you said someone was doing it on the radio. Also the term is just awful, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Please explain "blacking up" to me. At first I thought you meant like blackface but you said someone was doing it on the radio. Also the term is just awful, lol.

Yeah, sorry. That's exactly what it is, the host was describing the morris dancer applying the paint. Apologies for the term, that's what it tends to be called over here.

• Locked thread