Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Nobody on the internet buys cars. They rant and rave about how they'd totally put down a pre-order sight-unseen cost-is-no-limit on the 600hp V8 6-speed station wagon, and then when GM actually makes the CTS-V wagon, they slink off into the background and mutter about how they can't buy it because of the infotainment system or the wrong kind of tires or some poo poo when really they never had any intention of buying one at full price, they just want to get one from a junkyard ten years later for a tenth of what it cost to manufacture.

Most of them are just too expensive.

I can guarantee that if they made a 4-cyl Fusion wagon with a manual transmission and AWD, it'd sell if it was priced with other 4-cyl AWD cars.

I put my money where my mouth was and bought a V8 6-speed RWD family car, which they say is a dying segment. Nobody wants manuals, or V8s, or RWD, or even 'car,' but I did and I bought one to prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The SS was great but too expensive. I want a budget performance car that's not a 2-seater like the MX-5. The Fiesta ST is pretty good at $21k MSRP.

I'm weird and want an automated manual option (probably a DCT), but it's not available on the ST.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

The SS was great but too expensive. I want a budget performance car that's not a 2-seater like the MX-5. The Fiesta ST is pretty good at $21k MSRP.

I'm weird and want an automated manual option (probably a DCT), but it's not available on the ST.

Golf GTI. done, boom, next?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

I, too, enjoy spending 32k on a german hot hatch.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Mhmm very nice. I am just an internet poster though so I will never buy the cars I actually like.

Looks like the MSRP is $26,415. The MSRP of the Ford Fiesta non-ST is $13,660. Yes the Fiesta is a cheap rear end econobox but I want a performance car priced closer to bottom-of-the-barrel, even if it sacrifices some creature comforts. Odd desires I have maybe.

Consumers here like to shop on price, though, so I think cost cutting will be a winning strategy in the long run for entry-level performance models even if it makes other aspects slightly worse. Obviously automakers know this, but I think it's hard to make nice powertrains for dirt cheap, plus these models don't have the luxury of massive economies of scale

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 10, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

GTIs are going for like 25k-27k right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Mhmm very nice. I am just an internet poster though so I will never buy the cars I actually like.

Looks like the MSRP is $26,415. The MSRP of the Ford Fiesta non-ST is $13,660. Yes the Fiesta is a cheap rear end econobox but I want a performance car priced closer to bottom-of-the-barrel, even if it sacrifices some creature comforts. Odd desires I have maybe.

Consumers here like to shop on price, though, so I think cost cutting will be a winning strategy in the long run for entry-level performance models even if it makes other aspects slightly worse. I think it's hard to make nice powertrains for dirt cheap, plus these models don't have the luxury of massive economies of scale

Learn how to drive stick, get a 1.0 ecoboost/5 speed car for $14,5 and stick a big gently caress off turbo on it. strip the interior, sticky rubber, good to go.

If you're in canada, buy a micra for $10k and stick a 50 shot of nitrous on it. nothing could go wrong there.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

skipdogg posted:

Sad. The car everyone on the internet says they want, doesn't sell.

tbh, I found it a bit bland looking and if I was in the market for four-door muscle, I'd take a Charger R/T Scat Pack over it, even if it meant living with an automatic transmission.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, hadn't heard. Makes sense though- don't think the big lugs were ever very popular.

With the Fusion Sport around, the Taurus SHO seems a bit...redundant.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm no longer planning on buying out my lease since it has been wrecked, but my GTI Sport was going to be <25k out the door. VW has a ton of money on the hood right now since their sales have been in the shitter.

I'm surprised(not really) that VW hasn't thrown AWD at the GTI to try and grab some of the people that want a WRX hatch.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

I'm no longer planning on buying out my lease since it has been wrecked, but my GTI Sport was going to be <25k out the door. VW has a ton of money on the hood right now since their sales have been in the shitter.

I'm surprised(not really) that VW hasn't thrown AWD at the GTI to try and grab some of the people that want a WRX hatch.

That's what the R is for.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really like the SS and don't even think the price is bad, just something I can't swing right now and my e46 is still doing well.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

KakerMix posted:

That's what the R is for.

But the R is STI money not WRX money.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

I really like the SS and don't even think the price is bad, just something I can't swing right now and my e46 is still doing well.

It's not a bad price for the segment it was trying to be in, but a $46k base MSRP is too high for a ton of Americans that would otherwise want a performance sedan.

VVVV That's the nail!

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 11, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They were trying to sell an M5 to people who want a 4 door mustang.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

D C posted:

But the R is STI money not WRX money.

Yeah but the inside of an R is a much nicer place to be than any STI and that's also where the R is. If VW won't sell me a Golf R Wagon then you don't get an AWD GTI ok?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tbf the challenger has always been an unusually fat and bloated car, even among its contemporaries.

I love this

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but the inside of an R is a much nicer place to be than any STI and that's also where the R is. If VW won't sell me a Golf R Wagon then you don't get an AWD GTI ok?

Oh 100% It's about time VW positioned the R where it is, it was always middling with STI price and WRX power.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Powershift posted:

They were trying to sell an M5 to people who want a 4 door mustang.

Here's the problem right here. Manufacturers have equated performance with luxury and all the retarded costs associated with it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's got just the right amount of luxury to really be called the Chevy E39M5, unfortunately that only appeals to a few of us.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm still considering getting one. I can afford it but the rational side of me says it's a stupid purchase.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Does this mean they are widebodied from factory? :)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Seems like a strange comparison since the E39 M5 is the same size as a modern 3 series while the Chevy is the same size as a modern 7 series.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Throatwarbler posted:

Seems like a strange comparison since the E39 M5 is the same size as a modern 3 series while the Chevy is the same size as a modern 7 series.

The SS is a inch shorter than the current 5 series and 1 inch lower. Same width. The current 7 series is nearly a foot longer.

Mr-Spain fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 11, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

how do you get so many facts so entirely wrong, all the time?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BraveUlysses posted:

how do you get so many facts so entirely wrong, all the time?

F10 5 series SWB : 193"
SS: 197"
G11 7 series SWB: 201"

But yeah I guess I was totally wrong and the SS is just like an E39(188") man. You got me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
"Is the same size"

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Depends on your definition of modern I guess. 207" https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bmw+7+series+size

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's at least several penis jokes in there - easy pickings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/features/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/

blah blah blah 5 series 7 series blah blah blah

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Elephanthead posted:

They have evolved into just bashing you in the head and stealing your wallet, the car, and then dumping you off at an organ harvesting warehouse for $20. Natural selection works, drat you Darwin!

Edit: I actually came here to say the interior of the 2018 Camry looks nice going to buy my old man car next year. TRD super chargers fit the Camry right?

If you want an old man car just buy a Genesis. It probably costs the same

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Here's the problem right here. Manufacturers have equated performance with luxury and all the retarded costs associated with it.

"Luxury" doesn't actually cost that much. What you're actually paying for is low economies of scale due to being a small volume car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love the SS, but it's not available in Canada so I don't count. :v:

Also, if it does in fact require parts from Australia it could be a pain in the rear end to maintain down the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I love the SS, but it's not available in Canada so I don't count. :v:

Also, if it does in fact require parts from Australia it could be a pain in the rear end to maintain down the road.

Yeah, but americans never got the chevy orlando, which in their hearts is what they really wanted.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but americans never got the chevy orlando, which in their hearts is what they really wanted.

You'll make them cry into their Buds if you mention the forbidden fruit that was the Acura EL.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Maybe GM just got a hair up its rear end about the Corvette's interior being so lovely that they couldn't let it go further down the range.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol the FBI just started makIng arrests at VW

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love the idea of the Stinger but sweet Jesus is it ever ugly.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Lol the FBI just started makIng arrests at VW

The FBI raided them in 2015, probably starting the arrests from the information they got from those raids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you tick every option sure but if you want to drive it then you are going to keep the manual box and not get heavy leather seats, sun roof etc.... I think my 2013 GTI had an invoice price of $24k.