Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The raid size increases in Cassie don't bother me as much as the heat wave increases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The raid size increases in Cassie don't bother me as much as the heat wave increases.

There is nothing like watching a freezer with 9 foot thick stone walls go from -1F to 70F in a couple of hours.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Are heatwaves just programmed to overwhelm your refrigerator no matter what or something? I swear I've tripled the number of coolers and put an extra layer on the building in the middle of a heat wave and still not kept stuff frozen.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Shadowlz posted:

I like this game but it's really missing the "why" and "how" part of events. Why did I get malaria? Why did I get the plague? How did this tribe know I was here? Why do they hate me? Why did my conduit short? The events as they are should be a effect of a cause, not the cause and the effect. There could be roaming swarms of mosquitos in certain climates that "attack" for for a base chance to catch diseases. Rats could carry diseases and be drawn to heated buildings and unsecured food storage. Tribes could have a set of likes and dislikes that you can find out in order to stay on their good side. Factions could send a scouting party then either an envoy or a raiding party to make contact with you. Right now it's a sandbox that rolls dice every x minutes multiply by difficulty.

gently caress you, that's why. Seriously; the story tellers define a range of random events that increase in severity explicitly to gently caress your colony. Randy does not do this though. All of the events come down to random event rolls because the game is not actually a colony building sim, it is more of an rpg where you're playing a colony and have to deal with a GM that thinks everything needs to come off of the random encounter tables.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bird food bathtub posted:

Are heatwaves just programmed to overwhelm your refrigerator no matter what or something? I swear I've tripled the number of coolers and put an extra layer on the building in the middle of a heat wave and still not kept stuff frozen.

The cassie storyteller seems to. I've had it go up to like 170 degrees in a temperate forest biome, just because each wave was progressively slightly hotter and hotter.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah I've not bothered with Cassandra/Phoebe for a while, they're both pretty much about "get off the planet ASAP" and I don't want to actually get off the planet at all.

HERE I AM, HERE I REMAIN

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Randy for lyfe.

I am kinda upset. I had a drop from space of a bunch of ear bandages, so i decided to slap one on my main constructor so they can stop being sad about their ear scar.

Of course their head is promptly cut off during the application of a band aid.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
the pelvis is in the shoulder right?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Well that's dumb, half the fun of mining is finding random poo poo underground.

Heads up on an amazing mod from Rikiki:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=837412700

This mod adds a new biome: cave. This will allow you to explore and settle into the deep tunnels of this Rimworld.
WARNING! Caveworld Flora must be enabled BEFORE this mod!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

^^^ e; holy poo poo :catstare:

Omnicarus posted:

The Auto-Mod went rogue and shut it down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's a pretty RimWorld fate to meet! :v:

Also yeah Randy 4 lief.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Plek posted:

gently caress you, that's why. Seriously; the story tellers define a range of random events that increase in severity explicitly to gently caress your colony. Randy does not do this though. All of the events come down to random event rolls because the game is not actually a colony building sim, it is more of an rpg where you're playing a colony and have to deal with a GM that thinks everything needs to come off of the random encounter tables.

Randy uses exactly the same threat scaling curve as Cassandra/Phoebe. He's just less rigid about following it (but he's just as likely to make it harder as he is to make it easier).

The cassie storyteller seems to. I've had it go up to like 170 degrees in a temperate forest biome, just because each wave was progressively slightly hotter and hotter.

Heat waves are a flat +20C to outdoor temperature, period. Storyteller & threat points don't matter.

edit: part of the reason why this is rough on freezers is that their capacity is lower the larger the heat differential. So if your coolers used to be maintaining a 40C temperature difference, adding another 20C on means you need 50% more cooling capacity and you have 25% less of it.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 11, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zhentar posted:

Heat waves are a flat +20C to outdoor temperature, period. Storyteller & threat points don't matter.

That definitely seems wrong, because I've had heat waves up the temp by around 40c.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's not. The code responsible:

code:
	public class MapCondition_HeatWave : MapCondition
	{
		private const int LerpTicks = 12000;

private const float MaxTempOffset = 20f;

public override float TemperatureOffset()
		{
			return MapConditionUtility.LerpInOutValue(TicksPassed, TicksLeft, 12000f, 20f);
		}
	}

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Then it is bugged somewhere. I have definitely had heatwaves of +20f. However, that was in A14 or A15, admittedly. I haven't yet played enough of A16 to see more than one, but it also went over 40c on a map that sees average summer temps of 10-15c.

e: Maybe it's a flat +20 to max possible map temperatures?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've also had heat waves shove the temperature up by 40-60 degrees, so either the code is bugged or that doesn't affect temperature directly.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's just a flat +20C to whatever the temperature would otherwise be on that day, at that time.

If you want to test it, make a save, then record the temperature a couple times over the next couple days. Reload, trigger a heat wave, and compare.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm not a programmer but I'm fairly sure lerp is not a flat addition. Pee pee doo doo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Wooohoo, it's totally possible to set up a jelly farm even under the new rules where hives require maintenance:

(below is my writeup for my guide):

quote:

A secondary fort can be a great place to set up a jelly farm. The problem with bug farms is you have to leave the bugs alive to keep the hives maintained.

The secret is that bugs have a max comfortable temperature of 122 F, so they'll start getting heatstroke around 145F; if your colonists have on good wool cowboy hats and dusters, they should be comfy up to around 170F, so we can exploit that differential. (Very cold temperatures can do the same thing, but they damage the hives and prevent new spawns, plus it's harder to set up large-scale cooling).

• Dig out a big area underground, but don't build there, and make sure there's only one entrance and there's a LOT of rock between your living quarters and the dug-out area.
  • Don't dig out under any other "thick rock" anywhere else on the map. (If you do, *sunlamps* and/or temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit will stop bugs from spawning, as will filling every square inch with rubble or other items, but they actually stop the spawn, which means it will take that much longer to get bugs to spawn elsewhere on the map).
  • Set up a lot of space heaters and put them on the inside of the hollowed out area. Set the heaters to 170F and seal them off from your main base with a door. Keep them turned off for now with a switch.
  • Eventually, insects will spawn in the dug-out area (this may take a long time, though you can insta-spawn an infestation with dev mode tools).
  • Let them grow and reproduce until there are 30 hives in place (the max number of hives on a map).
  • Once there's plenty of jelly spawned, turn on the heaters crank up the heat. If you buit enough heaters, you'll cook all the bugs, and can swoop in and gather up a bunch of jelly while they're all knocked out from heatstroke. Animal haulers are a good choice for this work as the hives will still keep spawning bugs so there's some ongoing danger.
  • Once you've gathered enough jelly, turn the heaters off again and let the bugs recover.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106232555621521770/CD98696A88C0E18E4FED2A37F59B98FDD529CEC8/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 11, 2017

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not a programmer but I'm fairly sure lerp is not a flat addition. Pee pee doo doo.

It's not; it ramps up from 0 to 20 over the first ~5 hours of the event and then back down from 20 to 0 over the last ~5 hours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zhentar posted:

It's just a flat +20C to whatever the temperature would otherwise be on that day, at that time.

If you want to test it, make a save, then record the temperature a couple times over the next couple days. Reload, trigger a heat wave, and compare.

I have definitely had odd behaviour with heatwaves where the map kind of gets stuck at odd temperatures, and reloading the save causes the temperature to plummet 30C or so (after the heatwave has long passed) when the weather next changes.

I'm not sure the temperature and weather code works entirely correctly.

I ended up with it hovering around 20-30C in winter one year and when I reloaded it dropped to -17 or something and all my crops died. Might have some odd interactions with climate cycle.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can heat waves occur in winter? I don't think I've ever seen a winter heat wave.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I just had a 17 skill doctor with bionic arms and eyes kill a guy while trying to put a pegleg on. How do I modify the surgery failure chance? Is there a mod for it? I guess it was a little too easy before but this is insane.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a mod for it but last I tried it I don't think it was working:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834016280&searchtext=surgery

maybe it's been updated though.

Alternatively there is this one

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834999520&searchtext=surgery

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Speaking of these events, it'd be nice to see your map location and conditions change how often things happen. As I understand it, if a thing is going to happen, it's going to happen every x days, give or take. I've been tracking my A15 saves and it's fairly regular how often I get toxic fallout, psychic ships, blight, etc. Would be nice to mix things up so you might have a map that's lower on natural events like blights and cold snaps but since it's such a good location to settle, you're more prone to other tribes trying to take you out.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I usually set up shop in temperate forests, but I've decided to try a boreal forest map this time. It only has a 20 day growing window, which seems really short. There are 2 steam vents where I set up so a greenhouse should be easy. Any boreal forest tips? Boreal forest chat? Boreal forest... horror stories?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wooohoo, it's totally possible to set up a jelly farm even under the new rules where hives require maintenance:

(below is my writeup for my guide):

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106232555621521770/CD98696A88C0E18E4FED2A37F59B98FDD529CEC8/

This is just a bee hive except with heat instead of smoke. You've turned the infestation into bees.

Gadzuko posted:

I just had a 17 skill doctor with bionic arms and eyes kill a guy while trying to put a pegleg on. How do I modify the surgery failure chance? Is there a mod for it? I guess it was a little too easy before but this is insane.

Less Arbitrary Surgery: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834016280

Mzbundifund posted:

Can heat waves occur in winter? I don't think I've ever seen a winter heat wave.

No, the map temperature has to be 20 C or above.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

vandalism posted:

I usually set up shop in temperate forests, but I've decided to try a boreal forest map this time. It only has a 20 day growing window, which seems really short. There are 2 steam vents where I set up so a greenhouse should be easy. Any boreal forest tips? Boreal forest chat? Boreal forest... horror stories?

Winter is going to be more difficult. All the grass will die off from the cold, which makes the herbivores starve and leave. Then you'll just have starving wild carnivores... And your colony is full of walking food!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Winter is going to be more difficult. All the grass will die off from the cold, which makes the herbivores starve and leave. Then you'll just have starving wild carnivores... And your colony is full of walking food!

That just means the meat comes to you!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Are there any mods that would cause 'out of memory' errors in map generation more often or is it an issue of map size? I used a 100% planet generation and tried Large 300x300 but if you raid more than one or two maps (or try to re-roll the current one too much?) the game seems to run out of memory and stop generating maps at all. I heard this can make it impossible to save too. Anyone have some insight?

I downloaded a bunch of mods, some extra hairs & facial hairs, typical stuff like blueprints, more tabs, map re-roll, Prepare Carefully, EPOE, more turrets & other stuff, basically anything I used in A13 that's still around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
A16 has some known weird memory leaks, I've been having the same problems and I only have four mods installed. Tynan seems to have it listed as "known issue" but blames.mods for it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This is super spergy of me, I know, but it would be neat if I could designate a smoking room for these addicts to hotbox instead of sparking one up right in the drat fridge.

:pcgaming:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

vandalism posted:

Boreal Forests are actually quite easy once you start making greenhouses. I wouldn't pin myself to steam vents, rather you should be looking for rich soil and set up there. 2 fueled generators will produce enough energy to power a sunlamp and heater, and you've got more wood then you know what to do with so keeping them running is easy. Plus the fact that you don't need batteries for fueled generators means that you can keep them separate from the main grid and avoid any zzzt events burning your greenhouse down. And double-walling will help slow down heat loss in the event of a solar flare.

Aside from that, hunt everything. Boreals are teeming with animals including Elk, Caribou and Muffalo, which give a lot of meat and leather which means good eating and good clothing. Of course, as mentioned above, the downside is that you become the carnivore's main meal, so it would be prudent to conscript a hunting party to kill off any carnivores before starting the mass cull. Plus it means more meat!

Try to hold off on harvesting raspberry bushes at the start. Although they don't grow in the cold they also don't die, so if you leave them to grow and spread it'll leave you with an emergency source of winter food if your crops fail.

Learn how heat spreads and use vents to allow a handful of heaters to warm your entire base. Don't rely on cooler output though, as when winter hits they'll go into low-power mode and produce no heat. Campfires do make a good stopgap but they soon require too much work to be kept going, so look to replace them after the first winter.

Aside from that, it's not too different from a temperate forest.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Slung Blade posted:

This is super spergy of me, I know, but it would be neat if I could designate a smoking room for these addicts to hotbox instead of sparking one up right in the drat fridge.

:pcgaming:

Someone has never worked in a restaurant before.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Boreal Forest is the best compromise between comfort and having a little challenge, because you can't grow for the whole year and you have actual seasonal weather. The hotter biomes have the extra challenge but they look the same the whole year round.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I have a weird issue with my game losing my mods then getting stuck trying to download them all again. Restarting or unseleecting and reselecting each mod does nothing. The only thing that seems to fix the problem is reinstalling the game. Has anyone else come across this?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Boreal Forest is the best compromise between comfort and having a little challenge, because you can't grow for the whole year and you have actual seasonal weather. The hotter biomes have the extra challenge but they look the same the whole year round.

The hotter biomes are easier then Boreal in that you can usually grow all year round, allowing for massive fields of both food and cash crops. On the other hand, you rarely get diseases in the colder biomes, so you avoid having 2/3rds of your workforce bed-ridden at inopportune moments.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SatelliteCore posted:

Someone has never worked in a restaurant before.

Truth.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Just finished my first game. One of the things I think needs improving is the friendly fire aspect in combat. The pawns can easily avoid tagging each other with gunfire while hunting, but when it's combat the friendly fire is terrible. The mini gun is more trouble than it's worth for most engagements.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Charge rifles for life. Those space guns are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

Just finished my first game. One of the things I think needs improving is the friendly fire aspect in combat. The pawns can easily avoid tagging each other with gunfire while hunting, but when it's combat the friendly fire is terrible. The mini gun is more trouble than it's worth for most engagements.

Please post your base!