Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The lead up to titan is better than everything Sylph related and also better than the lead up to garuda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

The leadup would have been okay if it was like 1/3rd as long and actually funny instead of "GO HERE. K, GO HERE."

I almost ragequit the game at this point. Which would have been a drat shame, because titan is so good.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Failboattootoot posted:

The lead up to titan is better than everything Sylph related and also better than the lead up to garuda.

The leadup to Garuda legit made me stop playing for a week

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So I am coming back to the game and bringing 2 friends. One semi-experienced, one completely new. We decided to all roll new characters together. Unfortunately as I am a cheap rear end I won't be able to do this on the goon server as that's where my main is. So I was considering Balmung or Gilgamesh. Well these are more of a hot mess to get into than Excalibur. Then I considered Leviathan which is similar to Excalibur in population. Also hot garbage to get into. I guess this is par for the course on populated servers. I'll keep trying.

Meanwhile! I decided to start as Lancer as it has cross class abilities used by a ton of classes. I had my eye on Ninja and Dragoon but they both look super complicated and I'm bad at video games.

Thoughts on these two?

Alternative choices are Bard or maaaaaaaaybe Monk.

Just not sure. Ninja and Dragoon look the flashiest and most fun. I hear Monk is easier than all of the above. Just looking for some opinions.

My background if it helps: SCH/SMN/BLM at 50, DRK at 52, no end game experience..just hard mode normal stuff like avatars/etc. Haven't played since HW release~

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Vil posted:

It's tongue-in-cheek. High level DRGs' GCD rotation basically involves 10 moves:

- Buff
- 3-hit combo A
- Random combo finisher (one of two options)
- DoT
- 3-hit combo B
- Random combo finisher (one of the same two options)
- Repeat

What makes it get more confusing is all their off-GCD stuff, and Blood of the Dragon maintenance: oGCD buff to get it started, those random finishers extend the duration, but another good oGCD attack consumes some of the duration, and you want to get as many of those attacks out as possible without having BotD actually fall off until the oGCD buff to start it again is back off cooldown.

Wow, I didn't look at any DRG guides and I still managed to get it right somehow!

ImpAtom posted:

I want to find whoever designed the entire leadup to Titan in the main story quest and I want to punch them repeatedly in the balls.

I came into the game knowing it would be less than good until Heavensward and I still wanted to stowaway on a boat to Japan just so I could find the dev responsible for that shitshow and do what you said.

The Serial Haircutter of Lominsa bit helped me not do that, fortunately.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I am coincidentally also just getting through the Titan lead-up and yeah lol

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The titan and garuda fetch quest fiesta is literally the worst part of the game. Some people complain about 2.1 and it's pretty bad about making you run around to, but there's at least some vague plot reasons for it and it's not just a blatant timesink.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Titan and Garuda quests both had plot reasons though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

real hosed up that 1.0 didn't have roegals
this is why Tanaka had to go

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zaekkor posted:

So I am coming back to the game and bringing 2 friends. One semi-experienced, one completely new. We decided to all roll new characters together. Unfortunately as I am a cheap rear end I won't be able to do this on the goon server as that's where my main is. So I was considering Balmung or Gilgamesh. Well these are more of a hot mess to get into than Excalibur. Then I considered Leviathan which is similar to Excalibur in population. Also hot garbage to get into. I guess this is par for the course on populated servers. I'll keep trying.

Meanwhile! I decided to start as Lancer as it has cross class abilities used by a ton of classes. I had my eye on Ninja and Dragoon but they both look super complicated and I'm bad at video games.

Thoughts on these two?

Just not sure. Ninja and Dragoon look the flashiest and most fun. I hear Monk is easier than all of the above. Just looking for some opinions.

My background if it helps: SCH/SMN/BLM at 50, DRK at 52, no end game experience..just hard mode normal stuff like avatars/etc. Haven't played since HW release~

I wouldn't say Dragoon is necessarily harder than Monk, though at 50+ it is more obnoxious to keep Blood of the Dragon up than it is to keep Greased Lightning up. DRG basically has two combos that you use between a buffing attack and a DoT, with lots of one-off attacks and self buffs that you weave in between attacks as they are available. Monk has slightly fewer buffs and off-GCD attacks, and their combos tend to be a lot more fluid depending on the situation and are more dependent on positioning. Monks also attack a good bit faster than dragoons, so the pacing you prefer can factor into it.

Ninjas really have one main combo with a couple different closers, and are more reliant on their DoTs to do a big chunk of their damage. Ninjas also attack at roughly Monk speed after level 45, and have slightly less personal damage potential made up for by bringing a lot of party utility. They also get the mudra game for casting their spells, which people tend to either love or hate. Also the suffering of the boss that insists on spinning at the very moment they are trying to use Trick Attack.

All three are cool in their own ways really and worth checking out. The core monk playstyle settles in pretty early on with bells and whistles added on as you go, whereas the full dragoon rotation gets adjusted repeatedly all the way up into the 50s and ninja doesn't *really* get the ninja feel down until 45 when you can Huton to boost your attack speed.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

So the 3.5 trailer is out. Looks pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kA9aAdIDG0

Does anyone know the song that plays in the very beginning and the very end? Or is that new?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

I wouldn't say Dragoon is necessarily harder than Monk, though at 50+ it is more obnoxious to keep Blood of the Dragon up than it is to keep Greased Lightning up. DRG basically has two combos that you use between a buffing attack and a DoT, with lots of one-off attacks and self buffs that you weave in between attacks as they are available. Monk has slightly fewer buffs and off-GCD attacks, and their combos tend to be a lot more fluid depending on the situation and are more dependent on positioning. Monks also attack a good bit faster than dragoons, so the pacing you prefer can factor into it.

Ninjas really have one main combo with a couple different closers, and are more reliant on their DoTs to do a big chunk of their damage. Ninjas also attack at roughly Monk speed after level 45, and have slightly less personal damage potential made up for by bringing a lot of party utility. They also get the mudra game for casting their spells, which people tend to either love or hate. Also the suffering of the boss that insists on spinning at the very moment they are trying to use Trick Attack.

All three are cool in their own ways really and worth checking out. The core monk playstyle settles in pretty early on with bells and whistles added on as you go, whereas the full dragoon rotation gets adjusted repeatedly all the way up into the 50s and ninja doesn't *really* get the ninja feel down until 45 when you can Huton to boost your attack speed.

There is nothing more heartbreaking than missing Trick Attack because the boss spun around for the third time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

Titan and Garuda quests both had plot reasons though.

Extremely dumb plot reasons. To the point that Y'shtola calls out the blatant waste of time with an impending primal and they just go, 'well don't like it? I've got nothing better to do'.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Intoluene posted:

There is nothing more heartbreaking than missing Trick Attack because the boss spun around for the third time.

Nidhogg always ends up pissing me off because he's got a lot of slight turns in the very last phase when he's all red and glowy. His back is only at the right spot very few times for like 3 seconds each. Plus any time a tank moves out of an AoE and then doesn't move back EXACTLY to where they were standing. It's agony.

Zaekkor posted:

Thoughts on these two?

From my experience leveling SMN to 50 in the past week, it's got more buttons than Ninja. What crunches Ninja is your latency. Bad latency means your mudras will be hard and that'll screw everything up. If you've got a good connection though, NIN is fun to me because it is very flashy and it's more about maintenance than being able to mash all the buttons. You're just making sure Huton/Dancing Edge/Shadow Fang/Mutilate are up at all times. There's more obviously, but not much more if you only want to hit a certain difficulty level.

I can't speak to Dragoon since I didn't finish leveling it (LNC is boring as gently caress and so is DRG at 34) and I won't get around to MNK for a while despite finding it pretty neat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I leveled Dragoon on a whim and actually quite like it, it's become my main class.

A lot of what I enjoy happens to be mechanics related to managing BotD though, DRG 50 must've been boring as heck.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Trying to do this Enmity of my Enemy FATE for my relic quest is the most annoying thing. If that prick would just stand still I could keep him alive but he just runs head long into swarms of Treants and Ochus. It is also the second part of a fate chain that never seems to spawn.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Actually, the leadup to Titan is good, lol if you missed the point.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Eight-Six posted:

Actually, the leadup to Titan is good, lol if you missed the point.

Trying to lampshade Bad Design by utilizing said Bad Design is still, shockingly, Bad Design.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Emalde posted:

Trying to lampshade Bad Design by utilizing said Bad Design is still, shockingly, Bad Design.

Found another one who missed it.

If the core argument is that MMOs are inherently Bad Design for a variety of reasons I would probably agree. If that isn't the argument then all that's left is the writing. Writing-wise though it's not even close to the shitshow that is the leadup to Garuda, where it's various follies, fuckups, and bad guesses with your instruments and locations that have you keep moving from place to place. The leadup to Titan is retelling the story of how poo poo went down the last time non-echo people had to fight him and just how much of a pyrrhic victory that was- which you get from the various survivors. And in the end it was at least giving you a farewell banquet because you might not come back alive even though you've got various plot armors in place.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Titan was a little annoying but I still found Garuda worse.

It was one of those times where I just want a big button to press that goes "I'M THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT GODS-DAMNIT" that instantly let's me skip having to prove that I am infact the bloody savior of Eorzea and that if you clowns don't stop wasting my time I'm going to stab you.

It feels like there is more than one moment in the game where I think "If I just stab this person right now it would solve so many problems." But you can't because you are a hero, and cold blooded murder isn't heroic.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Titan leadup did at least give you a hint of some of the mechanics of that fight. Even the Tidus guy. I don't remember the Garuda leadup doing that, but it's been a while.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Extremely dumb plot reasons. To the point that Y'shtola calls out the blatant waste of time with an impending primal and they just go, 'well don't like it? I've got nothing better to do'.

Yeah, this is what bugged me the most about the pre-Titan questline. It's like the game writers know that you're doing fetch quests for no discernable reason and they're throwing it in your face. People saying that the leadup to Garuda is worse make me very nervous. :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're always doing fetch quests for discernible reason.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

Found another one who missed it.

If the core argument is that MMOs are inherently Bad Design for a variety of reasons I would probably agree. If that isn't the argument then all that's left is the writing. Writing-wise though it's not even close to the shitshow that is the leadup to Garuda, where it's various follies, fuckups, and bad guesses with your instruments and locations that have you keep moving from place to place. The leadup to Titan is retelling the story of how poo poo went down the last time non-echo people had to fight him and just how much of a pyrrhic victory that was- which you get from the various survivors. And in the end it was at least giving you a farewell banquet because you might not come back alive even though you've got various plot armors in place.

People are generally upset with being blue balled from a huge, iconic fight by a bunch of boring MMO fetch quests, not the fact that the story says "Gee Fighting Primals Is Hard", yes

E: Also they probably could have gotten the point across with a lot less boring filler by having Brayflox be the big test instead of some wacky cheese thing

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 11, 2017

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

People are generally upset with being blue balled from a huge, iconic fight by a bunch of boring MMO fetch quests, not the fact that the story says "Gee Fighting Primals Is Hard", yes

That's not what anyone is saying though so hey.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Game would be pretty poo poo if it was just going from one huge iconic fight to the next with no plot to connect it all imo.

I just finished replaying 2.0-2.55 MSQ on an alt, and honestly I understand people's complaints about it even less now. The 2.x MSQ has exactly two bad quests, the guildhest one and the qarn one.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Mymla posted:

Game would be pretty poo poo if it was just going from one huge iconic fight to the next with no plot to connect it all imo.

It works for Monster Hunter :v:

They could also make quests more interesting instead of choosing between "kill easy open world mobs", "touch thing", or "talk to person"

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ryanbomber posted:

They could also make quests more interesting instead of choosing between "kill easy open world mobs", "touch thing", or "talk to person"

You have described the three ways to design a quest in an MMO. If you hate MMO gameplay so much, why play MMOs?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Mymla posted:

You have described the three ways to design a quest in an MMO. If you hate MMO gameplay so much, why play MMOs?

There's a lot of poo poo to do in this game other than questing. Trials, raids, crafting, dungeons, occasionally weird mini games like gold saucer or PotD...

(Also I'd argue that modern WoW has done a much better job of making quests less dull by having you do Things in the process, the days of mindlessly grinding bear asses have been dead for ages)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ImpAtom posted:

I want to find whoever designed the entire leadup to Titan in the main story quest and I want to punch them repeatedly in the balls.

Oh my sweet summer child. Wait for the run up to Garuda.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
At least you can click through or skip most conversations/cut scenes, and can teleport hither and yon. I can't imagine how painful bouncing all over the damned world would be if AAR utilized a WoW-style "flight" transport mechanic.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

To be fair, the alternative to "kill easy open world mobs" is "kill mechanics-related mobs" which is something they do from time to time for MSQ fights, though typically you have enough NPC backup to not outright fail them even after spending a minute running around not knowing what the gently caress. Theoretically you'll design mobs or something like they were boss fights and have those as the quest objectives. XIV already somewhat reuses mechanics from fight to fight so they could sprinkle them out throughout a patch- so the MSQ fights introduce mechanics x, y, and z through single fights- and then the raid poo poo incorporates mechanics maybe x and z, and then 'remember mechanic Q from a while back' and then newer fight-specific things.

I don't envy their battle designers.

Ryanbomber posted:

(Also I'd argue that modern WoW has done a much better job of making quests less dull by having you do Things in the process, the days of mindlessly grinding bear asses have been dead for ages)

If you don't mind, I'm curious as to a few examples of these.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I had honestly forgotten about the solo instances. They're a pretty good example of a good change of pace. I wish they were more common, though :v:

Eight-Six posted:

If you don't mind, I'm curious as to a few examples of these.

-Vehicle mechanics give you a new set of abilities to screw around with for a quest or two. FFXIV has vehicles but I think the only time they're used in a combat situation is Praetoreum.
-The last couple expansions added unmarked open world things, like chests and rare mobs, that give rewards if you find them.
-The mobs in general tend to be a little more involved than FFXIV's are, especially the rare mobs. XIV saves all the interesting mechanics for dungeons.
-Sometimes they just go nuts in a really weird way. The last expansion had about half a zone that involved stealth mechanicing around a city of angry elves, where you had to stay away from guards to keep a disguise up, and you had to either run out of combat or kill everyone if you got caught. It was kind of annoying in practice but it was a weird change of pace and memorable. There was also an entire zone with a long quest line that was 90% underwater.

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 11, 2017

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Mymla posted:

I just finished replaying 2.0-2.55 MSQ on an alt, and honestly I understand people's complaints about it even less now. The 2.x MSQ has exactly two bad quests, the guildhest one and the qarn one.

Honestly apart from the one big thing that happens at the end of 2.55 and how they resolve it in 3.0 i didn't mind it so much.

But that one thing made me very annoyed.

"Well gee I'm sorry for making you take the fall for regicide and killing most of your friends but we just mildly poisoned the Sultana instead of killing her so if we just give you the antidote will that be okay and we can go back to the status quo?"

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Zaekkor posted:

Monk is the flashiest of the 3 melee dps. Ninja is by far the easiest though.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mymla posted:

Nah, it owns actually.

I didn't give a poo poo about the Garuda lead up because it's played reasonably and correlates more to the act of Going To Kill poo poo than making a banquet did, and they don't nudgenudgewinkwink you about it being a massive waste of time in the end.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Honestly apart from the one big thing that happens at the end of 2.55 and how they resolve it in 3.0 i didn't mind it so much.

But that one thing made me very annoyed.

"Well gee I'm sorry for making you take the fall for regicide and killing most of your friends but we just mildly poisoned the Sultana instead of killing her so if we just give you the antidote will that be okay and we can go back to the status quo?"

Yeah, that was a bit of a copout, wasn't it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they've basically stopped doing the solo instances because people are so bad at the game they can't beat them with max echo

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Nidhogg always ends up pissing me off because he's got a lot of slight turns in the very last phase when he's all red and glowy. His back is only at the right spot very few times for like 3 seconds each. Plus any time a tank moves out of an AoE and then doesn't move back EXACTLY to where they were standing. It's agony.

That sounds more like a problem with your specific Nidhogg tanks then. He shouldn't have any slight wiggles.

You may not be able to get off a TA during akh morn depending on who's targeted, and you almost certainly won't be able to get one off during all the running around for fireball/ground circle/hot tail-or-wing combos (nor should you want to, because people won't be able to take good advantage of it anyway).

However, in between those combos there are extended periods of Nidhogg sitting quite still barring tank foibles, facing directly (first combo pattern definitely, second combo pattern suboptimally) or diagonally (second combo pattern optimally) away from the party at the tank du jour, and both having an easily accessible rear.

The first combo pattern doesn't have an easily accessible flank (at least not the first time around when he goes straight from akh morn to fireballs and you don't want him facing off to the side for his hot wing, and these days he'll usually die before he gets to the repeat version of that pattern where there's a nice DPS period in between), but the rear for TA is perfectly accessible.

Yes I know you can still get flank damage in at that point, if you know what you're doing and things are going smoothly re: healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I'd say ninja is way more flashy than monk, what with all the ninjitsu and the constant spinning and flipping in every attack. With a monk you'll get elixir field and occasionally tornado kick for flash, maybe dragon kick if you let the animation actually play all the way out which it never does.

• Locked thread