Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Thesaurus posted:

Promote Accountability and Government Efficiency Act

Things will be going down soon. I don't understand why the author of this article is confident that certain measures, like at will employment, won't pass. What's to stop them?

Well that's not great...

In curious if it is implemented how it would work in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Christ, I need to get hired into government soon.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

United States intelligence community. DIA, INR, NSA, CIA, etc. Biggest assets you can bring if you're looking to work as an analyst are language skills and good writing. Seriously, if you can write well and think critically and get through a SF86, it's not a bad gig. And I know for a fact that lots of journalist types get hired, surprisingly enough, again, especially if you have any foreign policy or international relations expertise.

Also a masters degree. That's important too, I should add.

What sort of Master's Degree would USIC be looking for? Just internation/foreign policy or something?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What sort of Master's Degree would USIC be looking for? Just internation/foreign policy or something?

Political Science, Economics, Security Studies is the big one. If you've a focus on a specific region that'd probably work as well. Math, linguistics, cryptolinguistics. Criminology and psychology too I suppose, though that's a bit more of a stretch and would be better suited for applications to the FBI.

Honestly the type of masters degree is less important than the degree itself.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Christ, I need to get hired into government soon.

Just in time for FERS, the MSPB, and step increases disbanded!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whose dick do I have to suck to get a job with the SEC?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Is there a way to get anymore feedback from USA Jobs than "Not Referred"? Kinda hard to know what you're loving up when that's all the feedback you get.

USA Jobs just feels like pissing in the wind, and I'm getting tired of well meaning relatives suggesting that Agency X or Y is constantly in need of V and Z only to get no feedback other than "not referred"
Probably not in the sense you are looking for; the best I have ever gotten is a quick explanation that I did something structurally wrong, after e-mailing the HR address listed in the original posting. But that was still nice the time I discovered I had somehow checked the "I am not a federal employee" box after the fact :haw:

"Not Referred' is not even the worst result, given that I think at least 1/4 of my applications never even got anything that definitive for a status. The very first job I ever applied to in 2013 was still listed as "reviewing applications" or something the last time I checked.

Thesaurus posted:

Things will be going down soon. I don't understand why the author of this article is confident that certain measures, like at will employment, won't pass. What's to stop them?
That would be so amazing if they made it so people had to get Exceeded Expectations to get a raise, particularly as the logic also suggests that would preclude you from going up a pay grade for the same reason. The agencies that give everyone 4.8+/5 would not understand what the big deal is, and the agencies that basically grade like a curved science class would see immediate huge attrition. Everyone wins! Realistically this would mean everyone started getting "above average" if they were average though I suspect.

The Iron Rose posted:

Political Science, Economics, Security Studies is the big one. If you've a focus on a specific region that'd probably work as well. Math, linguistics, cryptolinguistics. Criminology and psychology too I suppose, though that's a bit more of a stretch and would be better suited for applications to the FBI.

Honestly the type of masters degree is less important than the degree itself.
I actually had two related master's degrees and got absolutely no response from my round of intelligence applications from a few years back :mad: Granted maybe now that I am an actual fed things would be different? Particularly given my related doctorate. Except...I now no longer want to work for some of those agencies thanks to 2016. Hmm. Ooh, I know! Cry!

I have an interview next week with an agency that the incoming administration hates. I sort of want to go for it for the inevitable war stories it would produce. Plus unless they get rid of career status (which I am sure they would love to do) I can always just quit and go elsewhere???

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

At-will employment would be extremely difficult to implement because federal employees have a constitutional property right in their jobs. That right has long been recognized by the Supreme Court, and it means that taking that job away is subject to due process. That process alone runs contrary to the idea of being able to fire an employee for no reason.

If they can get the Supreme Court to go along with changing that right, then all bets are off. But I have my doubts that it would happen with the current court, even after Trump appoints a new justice.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

"Not Referred' is not even the worst result, given that I think at least 1/4 of my applications never even got anything that definitive for a status. The very first job I ever applied to in 2013 was still listed as "reviewing applications" or something the last time I checked.

Yeah I've got a few that still say 'received' years after applying

quote:

That would be so amazing if they made it so people had to get Exceeded Expectations to get a raise, particularly as the logic also suggests that would preclude you from going up a pay grade for the same reason. The agencies that give everyone 4.8+/5 would not understand what the big deal is, and the agencies that basically grade like a curved science class would see immediate huge attrition. Everyone wins! Realistically this would mean everyone started getting "above average" if they were average though I suspect.

This varies within agency too, at mine the groups in some areas/regions skew heavily towards all 5's while in others a 4.0 is about the best you can expect. To say nothing of the differences between individual managers

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
My agency falls into the average=good category. A 3/5 means you did your job well. With my specific EPAP it's practically impossible for me to get a 5/5.

If we did go to a 4/5 evaluation to get a step increase, we would probably see a whole bunch of EPAP's being rewritten to make it easier to get a 4/5. Unless your boss is a giant dick.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is there any chance that one of y'all works at the Millennium Challenge Corporation? I just applied for a job there and I'm curious to hear from people who work for them.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
There are some mighty cool government jobs out there though

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oooh I have an interview Friday, I cannot wait until half-way through they get a call informing them that ALL JOBS ARE STOPPED

edit: FOREVER

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oooh I have an interview Friday, I cannot wait until half-way through they get a call informing them that ALL JOBS ARE STOPPED

edit: FOREVER

I have a tentative offer.

I am terrified.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Have a backup plan

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slaan posted:

Have a backup plan
I hear that "protesting the administration forever" is hiring! It is a growth industry, there are always more people on the sidewalk near the White House when I go by than there were the time before.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Slaan posted:

Have a backup plan

*shudders*

I do.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Anniversary posted:

*shudders*

I do.

Hell, I've been in for 6 years and I have a backup plan.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
we were told back in december to not bother asking for any new employees after Jan 1 because it wouldn't happen, and we aren't one of the agencies slated to be shitcanned.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ixo posted:

we were told back in december to not bother asking for any new employees after Jan 1 because it wouldn't happen, and we aren't one of the agencies slated to be shitcanned.
Noiiiice

It will be interesting to see whether they go so far as to literally just kill all hiring dead or whether they let pre-existing hiring processes finish before the conversion to a walled city-state.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

ixo posted:

I guess I can understand that from an optics perspective, but there's only one president at a time, and if the current administration had regular hiring needs, I don't see why they should have held off on those in the first half of this month.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Not a surprise, but the hiring freeze has occured: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/01/23/trump-freezes-federal-hiring

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Got my tentative offer e-mail earlier today.

Pretty sure this means I'm looking at plan B?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

Anniversary posted:

I've no idea. My wife was supposed to start next month... Told her to stick with her current Plan A.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Rip Testes posted:

I've no idea. My wife was supposed to start next month... Told her to stick with her current Plan A.

Fortunately I already did everything I can currently for Plan A. So working on Plan B now costs me nothing.

The not knowing is killer though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Anniversary posted:

Almost certainly- it looks like it applies to anyone who hasn't actually begun work.

The White house site and the federal register haven't uploaded the text of this or the TPP one yet.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Discendo Vox posted:

Almost certainly- it looks like it applies to anyone who hasn't actually begun work.

The White house site and the federal register haven't uploaded the text of this or the TPP one yet.

WP had this: "The plan excludes the “military, public safety, and public health.”"

So...

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TCD posted:

WP had this: "The plan excludes the “military, public safety, and public health.”"

So...

New reports say it is only the military exempted. Pucker your sphincters, folks....

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RIP my dream of working for the SEC. :(

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
drat, does this affect grade/step increases too?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I assume that military means active duty, not the entire DoD. I'm also gonna be mad if that affects grade/step increases.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Delorence Fickle posted:

drat, does this affect grade/step increases too?

According to the text, no.

https://twitter.com/EricM_Katz/status/823651322440384514/photo/1

Unilaterally killing grade/step increases might be beyond the president's authority. I'd have to read into it more, but I'm pretty sure that it would require congressional action.

In other words, give it a week or two, and they'll get around to it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I take that the WRP will no longer hire people with disabilities?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Unilaterally killing grade/step increases might be beyond the president's authority. I'd have to read into it more, but I'm pretty sure that it would require congressional action.

I'm concerned. I'm a researcher at a Government lab and was about to get a "Person in Job" promotion, i.e., one where a new position description is created for you because the work you're doing is deemed to exceed the GS range approved for your current position. I'm not so sure that the EO allows for that. The processing for my promotion was first delayed while my management developed a new process for this sort of promotion, then delayed by HR so they could cram in new hires before the 20th. I'll be pretty upset with my agency if this promotion is blocked.

I've stayed in this job because of the work environment; I feel like I have more freedom than I would in industry and more resources than I'd have in academia. But my research group was already getting thin between the retirement of a few world-class researchers in the last few years and the inability to attract and hire high quality talent; in part because we can only hire US citizens and graduate students in my area are generally foreign, in part because Silicon Valley is more attractive to young STEM PhDs, and in part because Government research funding in my area has been limited due to excessive security concerns. I publish a lot and am well known in my area--I get job offers from industry regularly and I think I'm still competitive on the academic market. I'm not sure I can hang on for another four (or more) years of a worsening situation. I'm not in this for the money, 'cause the money ain't good, but I'm having a serious rethink about whether I want to stay here.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Am I misunderstanding this to say that contracting out is also being curtailed?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Rip Testes posted:

Am I misunderstanding this to say that contracting out is also being curtailed?

Well, it seems to indicate that contracting with the intent of circumventing the EO by using contractors to fill positions originally intended as CS is prohibited. But I would think new contracts would still be allowed, and it's pretty hard to come up with rules that determine intent. Plus, agencies still have to spend their budgets--money "saved" by freezing hiring will be spent on procurement until Congress gets around to passing a budget.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tetraptous posted:

I'm concerned. I'm a researcher at a Government lab and was about to get a "Person in Job" promotion, i.e., one where a new position description is created for you because the work you're doing is deemed to exceed the GS range approved for your current position. I'm not so sure that the EO allows for that. The processing for my promotion was first delayed while my management developed a new process for this sort of promotion, then delayed by HR so they could cram in new hires before the 20th. I'll be pretty upset with my agency if this promotion is blocked.

I've stayed in this job because of the work environment; I feel like I have more freedom than I would in industry and more resources than I'd have in academia. But my research group was already getting thin between the retirement of a few world-class researchers in the last few years and the inability to attract and hire high quality talent; in part because we can only hire US citizens and graduate students in my area are generally foreign, in part because Silicon Valley is more attractive to young STEM PhDs, and in part because Government research funding in my area has been limited due to excessive security concerns. I publish a lot and am well known in my area--I get job offers from industry regularly and I think I'm still competitive on the academic market. I'm not sure I can hang on for another four (or more) years of a worsening situation. I'm not in this for the money, 'cause the money ain't good, but I'm having a serious rethink about whether I want to stay here.

It's worth waiting to see, but if the past is guide everyone who hasn't actively started working at their new position is SoL.

Details here:http://www.govexec.com/management/2017/01/here-are-details-trumps-governmentwide-hiring-freeze/134803/?oref=top-story

Looks like you're still out of luck, though- it applies to positions "vacant as of Jan 22"

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 24, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do think tanks count as federal jobs/affected by the hiring freeze?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Grouchio posted:

Do think tanks count as federal jobs/affected by the hiring freeze?

I'm having a lot of trouble telling myself- it casts as broad a net as possible, but I think if the organization is not classified as an executive agency (not placed under the executive branch by establishing legislation) then there's not a legal way for the Order to apply to it. I'm sending my resume into PCORI at the moment, so I guess we'll find out.

According to folks familiar with the last two hiring freezes, agencies usually ignored orders to not contract things out, contributing to them being completely ineffective. It's hard to tell what will happen this time, though, given the composition of congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It will be interesting to see how it changes after the 90 day period suggested in the memo. The goal is "attrition" though so it won't be too positive. I'm imagining some restrictive budgeting to prevent much hiring in practice.

I wonder if RIFs will become a reality once the budget comes out.

I'm assuming that interagency transfers wouldn't be affected by this?