Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
As if a 100% verified, graphic and high definition video detailing a bunch of Russian prostitutes urinating on United States President Donald Trump would invoke even the slightest twinge of shame or remorse.

"That's a fake."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Late, but yes, an electric shock from a fence makes your arm flail. I've had it a few times and the one time I was expecting it I punched myself in the face. (Which hurt more than the shock which isn't the worst thing ever)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Outrail posted:

As if a 100% verified, graphic and high definition video detailing a bunch of Russian prostitutes urinating on United States President Donald Trump would invoke even the slightest twinge of shame or remorse.

"That's a fake."

"But I'd like a copy, for the archives"

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Azhais posted:

"But I'd like a copy, for the archives"

Trump is our Sukarno

quote:

...When Indonesian President Sukarno visited Moscow in the 1960s, the KGB sought to take advantage of his renowned sexual appetite, sending a batch of glamorous young women posing as air hostesses to his hotel. When the Russians later confronted him with a film of the lurid encounter, Sukarno was apparently delighted. Legend has it he even asked for extra copies...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Trump's inauguration address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

witty

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I never saw this as I was going through a "self imposed media cleansing" at the time but you've now got me turned on about Trump

Trump 2020 I say

e: I mean I heard it in my dealer's truck but that guy was way into Shaggy and ferrets and I decided this is all too much

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Jan 11, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Isfet/status/818997923258179584

Huh, turns out Trump is a weeaboo.

Edit - I have no loving clue how to embed tweets, sorry for the link you gotta click.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm assuming all of those are fake. Also that slipping bear mascot was good stuff.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jamfrost posted:

I'm assuming all of those are fake. Also that slipping bear mascot was good stuff.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is better content than if it was all real, honestly. :laugh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Edit - I have no loving clue how to embed tweets, sorry for the link you gotta click.

The US is a democracy, therefore the will of the people is that they want a weeaboo to represent them. :haw:

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Now there is hentai?! Yea, this is all or mostly all made up fanfic. It is sad when 4chan's story is vastly more believable than what the media is reporting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's a joke tweet.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Reminder that however fun it might be to watch, Trump's downfall would end in Mike Pence becoming POTUS, in which case the schadenfreude would be on us.

Mike Pence might be a conservative racist lego man, but Trump is straight up embarrassing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm clicking frantically, but nothing is happening???

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Can't even spell Senator Murray's name correctly with it right there in front of them. Shameful.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's a joke tweet.

not only that, but by our very own getfiscal himself

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

AlphaKretin posted:

This is better content than if it was all real, honestly. :laugh:

4chan delegitimizing their own candidate before he even takes office is easily the best possible outcome to all of this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

It's the reason Gerald Ford became president: Spiro Agnew (Nixon's running mate) was impeached before they had the smoking gun for the big man.

Also his name was an anagram of "grow a penis" which should have been enough to disqualify him from public office in the first place.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

While I'm skeptical of the information in the report, the evidence linking 4chan is pretty thin and Wilson has claimed he is not the source.

https://medium.com/@therickwilson/fool-chan-e97fba24384f#.5ec1hxp3x

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Brocktoon posted:

While I'm skeptical of the information in the report, the evidence linking 4chan is pretty thin and Wilson has claimed he is not the source.

https://medium.com/@therickwilson/fool-chan-e97fba24384f#.5ec1hxp3x

Secret weebs made me spit out my coffee.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Let's check in on the big public projects that were constructed in Rio for the Olympics that were supposed to provide lasting benefits to the region after everyone who could afford plane tickets left town:

http://deadspin.com/lets-check-in-on-rio-de-janeiro-which-hosted-the-olymp-1791042401

quote:

Barra Olympic Park, the complex of nine venues (two of them temporary) that hosted a huge portion of the Games was supposed to be auctioned off. But when the auction only drew a single bidder—who couldn’t meet the stipulations—it was cancelled, and the venues turned over to the federal government. It is unclear how they will be used, and who will control them long-term.

Deodoro Olympic Park, which is far away from the Rio city center and hosted events like rugby, field hockey, and equestrian, was returned to a public park after the games. But it was closed at the start of the year, when the company managing it shut down. It’s unknown when, or if, it will reopen.

The $19 million Olympic golf course is falling into disrepair, as it struggles to pay for maintenance and salaries of workers. The problems are obvious and were known well before the games—few Brazilians play golf, and even fewer can afford expensive greens fees. Rio had two existing golf courses that could’ve been used for the Olympics, but built a brand new one instead.

Finally, the $65 million Complexo do Alemão cable car—one of those Olympics-related infrastructure projects meant to help residents long after the athletes leave—closed last year, after the state stopped paying the company operating it.

Oh.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So pretty much like every Olympic venue

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Azhais posted:

The asterisk there is always "except Salt Lake City", because those venues still actually get used and so does the light rail they built.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Azhais posted:

There's a reason wealthy nations don't want to host the games anymore.

It'd be better off building an 'Olympic venue' in one country and hosting it there every year. Even if the host paid for every athlete's plane ticket they'd start making money as they wouldn't have to build a brand new city every year.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Atlanta hosted the Games and made a profit on it and the IOC scolded us for commercialization.

So yeah. Everyone except the IOC is supposed to lose money on the Games. That's the point.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Azhais posted:

Yep, IIRC the only Olympics that actually successfully converted it's facilities or helped the host city in any way are Atlanta, Barcelona, Sydney (which almost didn't happen), Vancouver, and LA with Salt Lake, Nagano and London being possible inclusions depending on how you measure success. I might be missing a few but yeah, the most depressing are Athens and Sarajevo, though I expect Rio will also be just as spectacular a failure in another 5 years considering how bad they already are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Atlanta hosted the Games and made a profit on it and the IOC scolded us for commercialization.

So yeah. Everyone except the IOC is supposed to lose money on the Games. That's the point.

Really? That's hilarious. I knew it was really hard for countries to make money off of the World Cup and Olympics if you're not England or the US, but actually tut-tutting a city over it is pretty great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

The world should really collectively throw up the middle finger at the IOC and start doing the "Hellanodikai Games" every 2 years instead with a less corrupt organization in charge (like FIFA, the bar is pretty low here)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Really? That's hilarious. I knew it was really hard for countries to make money off of the World Cup and Olympics if you're not England or the US, but actually tut-tutting a city over it is pretty great.

Yeah, the idea is that you're supposed to do it for the love of the game and national spirit. This is why they require you devote X Square feet of space to product placement and...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It seems like a major difference with the successful ones is that they were very focused on only building new facilities if there was a clear and defined plan in place for what they would be used for after the Olympics. Of course, in order to do that you have to be willing to say gently caress the Olympics if the IOC starts acting like assholes about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

To be honest our mayor sold large swaths of street space to cheesy vendors that did make things look pretty low rent and probably inspired the snub.

So selling your soul to Coca-Cola? Good. Selling it to individuals to sell lovely souvenirs? Sad.

At least we got a fancy cauldron out of it.

Bip Roberts posted:

Good thing Atlanta built a nice Olympic stadium that is still new and will host the Braves for years to come.

It's not that bad. My old university bought the land and is going to retrofit the ballpark into a college football field. So they aren't tearing it down.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jan 11, 2017

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Good thing Atlanta built a nice Olympic stadium that is still new and will host the Braves for years to come.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Action Park grand re-re-reopening looks fun

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Phanatic posted:

Let's check in on the big public projects that were constructed in Rio for the Olympics that were supposed to provide lasting benefits to the region after everyone who could afford plane tickets left town:

http://deadspin.com/lets-check-in-on-rio-de-janeiro-which-hosted-the-olymp-1791042401

Oh.

How is London's Olympic cable car doing?

quote:

In November 2012, after the Olympics, passenger numbers dropped to less than 10% of capacity. Fewer than 0.01% of journeys were made on discounted commuter fares which were 10 for £16.

There were only four Oyster card users qualifying for a discount available to people making more than five journeys a week.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bip Roberts posted:

I sure do love a good boondoggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

canyoneer posted:

The asterisk there is always "except Salt Lake City", because those venues still actually get used and so does the light rail they built.
Yeah the light rail is just regular public transportation stuff and it was sorely needed anyway. The arguments against it were "nobody will use it" but cars are almost always full and packed to the gills for sporting events. The speed skating oval gets used for all sorts of stuff (it's not a permanent ice sheet so they can do whatever). Bobsled gets used for training and also tourists can pay to ride in the summer and winter and the ski jump is also used for training and competition. Other than that we didn't build anything specialized - used existing facilities and resorts to host everything else. We did such a good job of it that SLC is a permanent standby city for winter Olympics; if a host city can't due to natural disaster or some other reason they wouldn't have to build a single thing. Hardest thing would be the logistics of getting the shitload of volunteers needed for a games on short notice. Even that isn't much of a hardship, since for any other faults they have the Mormons love that kind of stuff and there wouldn't be a shortage of people willing to sign up.

There was very little schad involved with the 2002 games, except maybe for convincing Mitt Romney he would be qualified to run for President.