Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

spacegoat posted:

So I started playing this again last night and noticed that I'm drowning in chips and tokens. What's a reasonable number of focus/stress/evade/shield/TL etc tokens to hold onto?

I can't think of a single situation you'd need more than 22 shields (BBBBZ), and if you need more than 10 focus you'll know it long before you fly. Stress I keep three for each ship in my tournament box, and 20 overall. Target locks I keep one of each letter, because why the hell not. Evade I don't think it's actually even possible to go over 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Scratch that. You want 30 stress in case you get the itch to play Zuckuss or Tycho.

lol if you only have 30 stress for rage tycho. just lol

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
After a certain point all that stress becomes academic, and you can represent it with one token that is literally glued to the base.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah after like 3 turns with Rage Tycho I just say that we can assume that I will never be unstressed for the rest of the game.
Same with Dengar in a Dengaroo list after like, 6 stress.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unrelated to token talk, but I have a really stupid list for the thread's perusal.

Corran Horn (35)
Swarm Leader (3)
Fire Control System (2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Total: 100

Corran gets two fully Swarm Leader'd shots when he opens up, eats something alive, while A-wings block and harass.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh my god I have 4 A-Wings and an E-Wing. I may need to try that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Paint the E-Wing with a giant red and white bullseye on it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Unrelated to token talk, but I have a really stupid list for the thread's perusal.

Corran Horn (35)
Swarm Leader (3)
Fire Control System (2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Total: 100

Corran gets two fully Swarm Leader'd shots when he opens up, eats something alive, while A-wings block and harass.

canyoneer posted:

Paint the E-Wing with a giant red and white bullseye on it

Once Corran dies, what's this list gonna do? Tickle the opponent to death?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah probably. The idea is chuck 12 red dice at something you don't like and hope it dies before Corran does. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Yeah probably. The idea is chuck 12 red dice at something you don't like and hope it dies before Corran does. :v:

That's my strategy with FennZuckMan, lol. Throw a bazillion red dice at something and hope it dies.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Can you tractor beam someone off the map?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Nope.

Edit for a non-smarmy, single word answer:

FFG FAQ posted:

Q: Can a ship decloak or perform a boost or barrel roll that
would cause it to go outside the play area (and thus flee
the battlefield)?

A: No. A ship cannot decloak or perform a boost or barrel roll if this would
cause its base to go outside the play area. This includes a boost or barrel
roll caused from receiving a tractor beam token.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 11, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Well darn. At least I can bash them into rocks for damage

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Raged posted:

Well darn. At least I can bash them into rocks for damage

Always a good choice. Extra points if its the last point of damage to win the game. Feels good, man.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can you tractor beam them into a position in which there is no option but to flee the battle the next turn?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Gildiss posted:

Can you tractor beam them into a position in which there is no option but to flee the battle the next turn?

Hell yes.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So wait, is the scum epic ship the missing sku?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gildiss posted:

That's the BEST way to tractor beam a ship.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

That's the BEST way to tractor beam a ship.

Second best way is to tractor beam them onto onto a rock before they have a chance to shoot, and set back on the rock in such a way that their next maneuver guarantees their next movement will bump the rock

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I just got into this and have literally played only one game (which was super fun and I won but almost certainly because of luck). My first purchases are going to be the original core set, the e wing expansion, the b wing expansion, and the a wing expansion, plus some cards given to me by a friend (EU and chardon refit).

Given that I'm limited for now until I buy more stuff, I've come up with this as my very first fleet out of these expansions:

Corran Horn + FCS + Marksmanship + R2D2
Ibtisam + EU + PTL
Green Squad Pilot + Outmaneuver + Chardonn refit

(Bae fleet, natch)

The thinking is Horn will be the heavy hitter with super focused double tap, and R2D2 for attrition during turns I can't shoot; Ibtisam will be B-wing with better than average maneuverability, using PTL to stress and get the dice reroll on attack and defense; and the green squad pilot is mostly there for blocking and to occasionally put out some damage with outmaneuver.

With the understanding that I am starting out limited as a new player, is this list passable or is it total dogshit and requires me to make new purchases asap?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You want Expertise out of the new U-wing. Marksmanship is dogshit.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't be afraid to print out a list. I like Yet Another Squad Builder. Your can set up everything and just print the card info out with it. This is very helpful until you build up a bigger collection and if anyone gives you poo poo, they're an rear end in a top hat you don't want to play.

That said, do what Strobe said :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just put PTL and EU on Corran.

And Advanced Sensors! :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happylisk posted:

I just got into this and have literally played only one game (which was super fun and I won but almost certainly because of luck). My first purchases are going to be the original core set, the e wing expansion, the b wing expansion, and the a wing expansion, plus some cards given to me by a friend (EU and chardon refit).

Given that I'm limited for now until I buy more stuff, I've come up with this as my very first fleet out of these expansions:

Corran Horn + FCS + Marksmanship + R2D2
Ibtisam + EU + PTL
Green Squad Pilot + Outmaneuver + Chardonn refit

(Bae fleet, natch)

The thinking is Horn will be the heavy hitter with super focused double tap, and R2D2 for attrition during turns I can't shoot; Ibtisam will be B-wing with better than average maneuverability, using PTL to stress and get the dice reroll on attack and defense; and the green squad pilot is mostly there for blocking and to occasionally put out some damage with outmaneuver.

With the understanding that I am starting out limited as a new player, is this list passable or is it total dogshit and requires me to make new purchases asap?

Given what you have, this isn't a bad list. It's not going to be tournament-level, but don't worry about it. Corran isi one of the few ships on which marksmanship isn't total dogshit. :)

Just play, find out what works and what doesn't, and don't be afraid to proxy upgrades and try things.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Consider your goals.

Your list isn't bad (except for Marksmanship!), but it's probably going to suffer in a tournament environment. But, that's OK. I got smashed in my first event I ever went to (which should be expected!), but then got my first store event win a few months later.
I lost 3 of 4 games at a tournament this last weekend, but they were fun games and I learned some new things and improved as a player.
If you start going to events, you can see what the top meta stuff looks like, and more importantly how and why they work. I printed out a list that was formerly top meta for my first tournament, but got clobbered because I had no idea how to make it work the way I needed it to.

Just buy whatever you like and is fun for you,.
There aren't really a lot of ships that are totally bad, but there are plenty where there's pretty much just one good pilot.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Thanks for the replies! I'll run the list a few times, and I'll look into other elite upgrades on Corran besides marksmanship such as PTL and expertise. Thankfully, I'm playing casual games with a couple of friends, so no one's going to be a stickler about whether or not I have the physical card.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Took some time, but the first wave 10 ships finally hit the shelves here.

The wings on the U-wing are much less flimsy than I expected, good stuff. Strikers are huge.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Friction posted:

Took some time, but the first wave 10 ships finally hit the shelves here.

The wings on the U-wing are much less flimsy than I expected, good stuff. Strikers are huge.

Do the wings on the U-wing move?

Also those Strikers are cool as hell.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

The wings on the U-Wing and the Striker all move. It's the wave of Flappy Wings.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^: :argh:

IronSaber posted:

The wings on the U-Wing and Striker are articulated. The U-Wing closes all the way and the Striker flaps like a bird.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

ConfusedUs posted:

The wings on the U-Wing and the Striker all move. It's the wave of Flappy Wings.

Some Numbers posted:

^^^: :argh:

The wings on the U-Wing and Striker are articulated. The U-Wing closes all the way and the Striker flaps like a bird.

:krad:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

https://www.reddit.com/r/xwingonline/comments/5nfhe0/sign_up_for_season_4_of_the_vassal_league/?st=ixtkittb&sh=896da4bd

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I signed up. I've never used Vassal. Shrug.

Some other people sign up with me.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I've signed up. I should be graduating to Inner Rim divisions, this season. I think canyonero is still in, too.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chemmy posted:

I signed up. I've never used Vassal. Shrug.

Some other people sign up with me.

While I hate the UI and would kill for the TTS mod for X-wing to be properly updated Vassal works well once you get used to it.

Basic guide: http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/

Helpful video for controls and how to build and save a squad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dV5qUzna8

Everyone I have played on vassal has been super nice and understanding while playing with a newbie and has helped a lot.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any decent teams I can put together with what I own?

2 starter boxes (one of each), X-Wing, B-Wing, and Tie Fighter

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bowmore posted:

Are there any decent teams I can put together with what I own?

2 starter boxes (one of each), X-Wing, B-Wing, and Tie Fighter

With what you've got you could fly something like this

Wedge Antilles (30)
X-Wing (29), Crack Shot (1)

Luke Skywalker (34)
X-Wing (28), R2-D2 (4), Lone Wolf (2)

Poe Dameron (PS8 Version) (36)
T-70 X-Wing (31), BB-8 (2), Weapons Guidance (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

It's not ideal but gives you 10/9/8 PS so you get to shoot first and Luke will be harder to kill in the end game with Lone Wolf, his ability and R2-D2.

With your Tie fighers, you should have 3 Tie's and 2 Tie F/O's I think so maybe

99 points

PILOTS

“Howlrunner” (23)
TIE Fighter (18), Swarm Tactics (2), Stealth Device (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (15)
TIE Fighter (14), Crack Shot (1)

“Epsilon Leader” (21)
TIE/fo Fighter (19), Weapons Guidance (2)

“Omega Ace” (24)
TIE/fo Fighter (20), Veteran Instincts (1), Stealth Device (3)

“Backstabber” (16)

Just stay together and you'll be firing at PS 9/8/8/6/6

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 12, 2017

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
My FLGS had the U Wing and Tie Striker in english version, probably a couple of months before they are even released here. Guess who own a U Wing now? I might double back for the Striker (and a SF since I don't own it yet). :swoon:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

My FLGS had the U Wing and Tie Striker in english version, probably a couple of months before they are even released here. Guess who own a U Wing now? I might double back for the Striker (and a SF since I don't own it yet). :swoon:

Noice. FWIW, the Lightweight Frame that comes in the Striker helps out the SF, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Would anyone be interested in a largely complete set of x-wing as of Gencon last year? Includes scum, rebel, imperial, and epics.

I can itemize it if there's sufficient interest but I don't know if I want to get nickeled and dimed shipping to 800 people, I'd like to move it as lots.

• Locked thread