Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Furnaceface posted:

I thought he wasnt even getting a position as a diplomat and was basically being sent over to Europe to vanish from the public eye.

Scuttlebutt is that he was offered a concurrent ambassadorship to the EU and Germany a sort of super ambassadorship, but also that he was given no advanced notification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

Scuttlebutt is that he was offered a concurrent ambassadorship to the EU and Germany a sort of super ambassadorship, but also that he was given no advanced notification.

You are correct on the concurrent roles, one is a Ambassador the other is a Consular gig. Both are appointments by PMO. He was given notification as per The Hill vs. Globe & Mail quote.

A cabinet shuffle is standard for the first 180 to 400 days, usually done before a new Session. Dion is a known Russian sympathizer who also ran afoul with the Trudeau Saudi arms deal. While the deal was a carry over from the Harper Parl. he did little to diffuse the situation, which did not play well with the pollsters in December. Global Affairs also is the facing agency on foreign relations, which means the final "strike" came on the "pay to play" scandal that became a Oversight investigation in November.

Trudeau needs a fresh start in Foreign Policy / Immigration. Of the 2016 year the EU Trade agreement was his only success with the Press & Diplo. corps. Framing 2017-2018 around a competency narrative will be needed should Trump mount a NAFTA challenge or pressure Canada to bail on CUFTA. Removing Dion from Cabinet mitigates those risks.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 11, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

as we speak, nick kouvalis is planning the rollout of kellie leitch's scat fetish

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

The Butcher posted:

In the hopes of currying favour to secure some concession, anything at all, they carry with them crates of furs and jewels, the finest spirits, and of course, more gold to bestow upon him.

It turns out we were bestowing the wrong kind of gold on him.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Hal_2005 posted:

He was given notification as per The Hill vs. Globe & Mail quote.

Obviously he was informed at some point, but I think the fact that he was still making up his mind about whether to take the position yesterday indicates it wasn't like 2 weeks ago.

Very clear from the Globe story he's still got a lot of enemies in the party, though I doubt Trudeau or his brain trust were directly responsible for the smear quotes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Two weeks isn't that long to spend in contemplation of a job prospect that requires your family to relocate.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Subjunctive posted:

Two weeks isn't that long to spend in contemplation of a job prospect that requires your family to relocate.

It's not that easy to make priorities.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mojo1701a posted:

It's not that easy to make priorities.

I don't follow.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

I don't follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjucHcJwoQ

MikeSevigny posted:

It turns out we were bestowing the wrong kind of gold on him.

We already did Fake News this week.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think we did "what are the different parts of a news article" this week.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
No need for this thread to get pissy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Look at the thread urine. Do you really think people can hold in that kind of flood?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/01/10/freeland-is-hanging-on-to-the-canada-u-s-trade-file/

Freeland is hanging on to the Canada-U.S. trade file

Trudeau says new Trade Minister Champagne will have enough to do

Foreign Affairs Minister keeping the trade file with our largest partner by far :wow:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Excelsiortothemax posted:

it's really watering down the discourse in here

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

JawKnee posted:

it's really watering down the discourse in here

New thread title please.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

'Fake News' is quickly becoming my least favourite term to come out of this election.

RT tweeting that 'BREAKING: new satellite image reveals MH-17 shot down by Ukrainian Jet' is Fake News

Buzzfeed writing a click bait article with an exaggerated headline is not Fake News.

Trump and Obama were both personally debriefed by the heads of the FBI, CIA and NSA about the report that the Russians had blackmail material on Trump. I don't think the heads of 3 intelligence agencies typically brief the president on 'Fake News'

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's the logical conclusion of fakeposting.

it's us, we did this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's the logical conclusion of people with poor reading comprehension skills being unable to differentiate between "American President-Elect paid Russian hookers to urinate in front of him!" and "Report shown to high-level members of US government and intelligence services claims American President-Elect paid Russian hookers to urinate in front of him!". One of those things, specifically the latter, the one being reported on provably happened, it's not fake news. The only people claiming it is are confusing it for the former.

Buzzfeed is not claiming the report's contents are accurate, in fact they specifically repeat that they've been unable to verify them. What they're reporting on is that the briefing itself exists and its contents have been known by US state and intelligence services since at least August. That arguably is news*.

This is like every idiot that cried foul over The Star reporting that there was a video that appeared to show Rob Ford smoking from a glass pipe. Guess what, there was such a video. They never once said Mayor Ford smokes crack, that leap was made by the idiots who wanted to cry about the media ganging up on poor 'ol Robbie.

*Mother Jones reported on it, minus the brief's contents, in October last year.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 11, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

It's the logical conclusion of people with poor reading comprehension skills being unable to differentiate between "American President-Elect paid Russian hookers to urinate in front of him!" and "Report shown to high-level members of US government and intelligence services claims American President-Elect paid Russian hookers to urinate in front of him!". One of those things, specifically the latter, the one being reported on provably happened, it's not fake news. The only people claiming it is are confusing it for the former.

Buzzfeed is not claiming the report's contents are accurate, in fact they specifically repeat that they've been unable to verify them. What they're reporting on is that the briefing itself exists and its contents have been known by US state and intelligence services since at least August. That arguably is news*.

Yeah, it's almost like people are too conditioned to news organizations only reporting verified, unbiased truth or something. If there's ever been an appropriate time to victim blame, it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcATG9Qy_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZI0Q3LQZmo&t=20s

I love it so hard. 9 more days

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Who's victim blaming?

You have failed to comprehend the literal meaning of what has been written. You've treated your own logical leaps and insinuations as if they were the story, and are blaming the press for your outrage at your own imaginings.

You don't have to keep proving you don't know what fake news is. You also don't have to keep demonstrating that you can't differentiate reality from your internal narrative. You've made those points pretty clear.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

You don't have to keep proving you don't know what fake news is.

Enlighten me. Is it fake news when CNN reports that possessing the stuff on wikileaks is illegal but it's different for the media ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Enlighten me. Is it fake news when CNN reports that possessing the stuff on wikileaks is illegal but it's different for the media ?

Sure, I mean unless it actually is illegal to possess, say if you're a member of the US military (because it's classified), and they actually specify that in the segment. In which case it would be a misleading headline, but not actually fake news. If they don't specify that it's only illegal for US service members without the proper security rating to posses, then it's bad journalism. If they outright state that it's illegal for everyone to possess, then that would be false, and would probably qualify as a fake news story.

Of course if they're just reporting that someone from the White house or an intelligence service claims it's illegal to posses, then they're in the clear, as long as that person actually made the claim.

A Typical Goon posted:

RT tweeting that 'BREAKING: new satellite image reveals MH-17 shot down by Ukrainian Jet' is Fake News

This is fake news, there was no such satellite image, so the news about its existence and content is fake. If they had said "Russian intelligence claims new satellite image reveals MH-17 shot down by Ukrainian Jet", and the KSB had done a presser with a doctored satellite photo, that would not be fake news.

See, very simple.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 11, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Sure, I mean unless it actually is illegal to possess, say if you're a member of the US military (because it's classified), and they actually specify that in the segment. In which case it would be a misleading headline, but not actually fake news. If they don't specify that it's only illegal for US service members without the proper security rating to posses, then it's bad journalism. If they outright state that it's illegal for everyone to possess, then that would be false, and would probably qualify as a fake news story.

Of course if they're just reporting that someone from the White house or an intelligence service claims it's illegal to posses, then they're in the clear, as long as that person actually made the claim.

Here was the wording.

CNN posted:

Also interesting is, remember, it’s illegal to possess these stolen documents. It’s different for the media, so everything you’re learning about this, you’re learning from us and in full disclosure. Lets take a look at what is in there and what it means, joining us now CNN's senior ...

Fake news or not fake news?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well that's a lie, so if that's the full content of the story then it's fake news. But that wasn't the content of the story, the content of the story was what was in the leaked emails.

CNN lied, but not about the actual news story itself. Honestly it's not clear why they would lie about that either, since it's entirely irrelevant if they're disclosing the information anyway.

Verdict: Not fake news, but a lie.

Fake news is a lie, but not all lies are fake news.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 11, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is "Trump appointee claims climate change a hoax" fake news? If not, why would any other "X claims Y" construction be taken as a claim of Y by the author?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Well that's a lie, so if that's the full content of the story then it's fake news. But that wasn't the content of the story, the content of the story was what was in the leaked emails.

CNN lied, but not about the actual news story itself. Honestly it's not clear why they would lie about that either, since it's entirely irrelevant if they're disclosing the information anyway.

Verdict: Not fake news, but a lie.

Fake news is a lie, but not all lies are fake news.

What is a "news story", what are the components?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Why are you trying so desperately to cling to this?

The news story you've somehow made this conversation about is detailing the contents of leaked emails from the DNC, that is the "subject" of the story. Whether the story is "fake news" or not hinges entirely on the veracity of this subject.

A reporter from CNN mentions, in prefacing the subject of the story, that it's illegal to be in possession of the documents that were leaked.

Since the subject of the story is not whether or not it's illegal to be in possession of the documents, but rather the contents of the documents, the subject of the story is not false, therefore it is not a fake news story.

The reporter told a lie, tangential to the subject of the story. This is bad, and it raises questions about the veracity of the reporting, but it does not in and of itself make the story false.

If in this segment the reporter lied about the contents of those emails, by fabricating a message or conversation that did not exist, that would make this a fake news story. Since it would involve fabricating information on the subject of the story.

Edit: I'm sort of assuming that what he said is a lie, I mean it's possible that somewhere in the mess of post-9/11 security legislation that was rushed though there's something that makes it illegal to be in possession of illegally obtained private information, for Americans anyway.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 12, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol

quote:

The federal government has tested the public’s appetite for a Netflix tax, a new smartphone app for streaming Canadian content and spending on “moonshot” projects like placing a network of balloons on the edge of space to boost Internet access.

The policy suggestions are contained in a wide-ranging, 114-page report prepared for the Privy Council Office in November based on small focus-group sessions with Canadians in nine cities.

The survey questions featured a heavy focus on innovation, which is expected to be a central theme of Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s 2017 budget.

[...]

Three examples were provided, including driverless cars, unmanned aircraft that deliver packages and a concept called Project Loon, led by Google, that is described as “a network of balloons travelling on the edge of space, designed to help people connect to the Internet in remote areas or during a crisis situation.”

[...]

On the issue of how to support Canadian content when fewer Canadians are purchasing cable TV subscriptions, the government tested four options to raise new money for Canadian content: making telecom companies divert some smartphone and Internet revenue; requiring “foreign companies like Netflix and iTunes” to devote a portion of revenues; giving consumers the option of making a voluntary $2 contribution on their telecom or Netflix bill; or making telecom companies add an app to every smartphone sold in Canada that would provide access to Canadian music, TV and film for between $5 and $15 a month or a flat charge of $3 on the sale of all smartphones.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...b+Article+Links

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:cripes:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
It is funny because Harper warned us about this.

https://youtu.be/vM-vz_CKZP8

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Every time I start to think "well, they cant possibly do worse." :negative:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I could live with $3 more to the cost of my new phone, but a $10 monthly charge which I almost certainly wouldn't be allowed to back out of, for content I would never use my phone to consume? gently caress that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe we could use the billions of dollars the big 3 blow every spectrum auction to stop smaller companies from having country wide coverage.

Or maybe ask the companies overcharging so much that they can't find any more stupid holes to stick their cash into to stop spending billions on the NHL and put some money into other stuff.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Why are you trying so desperately to cling to this?

I don't think you're a moron and your point of view is so different from mine that I'm curious how you arrive at yours. It's interesting, like dissecting an alien.

The news story you've somehow made this conversation about is detailing the contents of leaked emails from the DNC, that is the "subject" of the story. Whether the story is "fake news" or not hinges entirely on the veracity of this subject.

A reporter from CNN mentions, in prefacing the subject of the story, that it's illegal to be in possession of the documents that were leaked.

Since the subject of the story is not whether or not it's illegal to be in possession of the documents, but rather the contents of the documents, the subject of the story is not false, therefore it is not a fake news story.

The reporter told a lie, tangential to the subject of the story. This is bad, and it raises questions about the veracity of the reporting, but it does not in and of itself make the story false.

If in this segment the reporter lied about the contents of those emails, by fabricating a message or conversation that did not exist, that would make this a fake news story. Since it would involve fabricating information on the subject of the story.

The story wasn't just that the emails were leaked, the story was that they were leaked online in such a way that anyone could easily go search them for any topic they were interested in. Wikileaks published 19,000 emails and 8,000 attachments online, making them easily searchable and viewable and giving everyday people a glimpse into the inner workings of the DNC. CNN presented their viewers with a tiny, curated sample but that's not what makes it fake news. They didn't just omit the news that anyone could go search them. They presented "fake" news about the source of their story similar to implying a sketchy unverified document is an official verified document.

Subjunctive posted:

Is "Trump appointee claims climate change a hoax" fake news? If not, why would any other "X claims Y" construction be taken as a claim of Y by the author?

I think for me it depends on the source. If X claimed Y in a speech, it's real news. If X claimed Y in private and somebody recorded it and it's authenticated, real news. If an anonymous person emails buzzfeed saying that they heard X claims Y, it's fake news even if the last paragraph says that the source is really sketchy. If CNN says that they read on a website that X claimed Y and it is totally illegal for you to go to that website and you need to get all that website's information from CNN, fake news.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Am I just old, do people actually want to watch tv shows on their smart phones?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Am I just old, do people actually want to watch tv shows on their smart phones?

The real question is do people actually want cancon? Id wager no.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i have an idea for the liberals 2017 policy agenda: do what you promised during the loving election

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

But then what would they campaign on in 2019?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Sure people want CanCon. Presumably Netflix brought back TPB because people wanted to watch it, not to piss money away.

People don't want lovely Canadian content that only exists because of government regulations -- Beaverton, I'm looking your way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Sure people want CanCon. Presumably Netflix brought back TPB because people wanted to watch it, not to piss money away.

People don't want lovely Canadian content that only exists because of government regulations -- Beaverton, I'm looking your way!

The lovely Canadian content no one wants makes up 99% of the stuff that gets made.